WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Any (blue or white collar) welders in here?

LBsuperJET

Well-Known Inmate #1155
Reaction score
2020 was shitty for me job-wise to say the least. Took a position in Jan for a competitor of wife's company doing NDT on concrete (previous profession) and was laid off due to the 'rona in May. Took another opportunity working as a PM for a friend's high-end garage door and gate manufacturer in OC and was laid off just before Dec (he couldn't keep up on payroll). Wasn't paid out until after Valentines day of this year. I have been slowly coming to realization that I just need to go into biz for myself long term and be in charge of my own earnings and destiny (I hate that term lol).

Been welding for years as a hobby and side gig out of my garage and I love doing it. Just enrolled at Cerritos college for the welding cert program and start in a few weeks in summer session. Buddy hooked me up with the head instructor there and he made sure I didn't miss anything during enrollment.

Wife is a financial controller for a big Demo outfit in Santa Fe Springs and we live in LBC. My plan is to get this cert out of the way and either take a job as a welder or look into starting my own biz. Not sure if CA is the best state to do it in or not lol but I have to start somewhere. Long term plan is to get the hell out of here and end up somewhere better like everyone else 🤣

Im 36 yo and wife is almost 42. What would you guys do if y'all were me? Im glad I have some sort of plan to get out of this crap but I need to start learning about my options. Sorry about the run on sentences im on my 5th crispy boy LOL

-Reid

riverroyal

Reaction score
Welding what? Like cars? Factory equipment? Pipe? Machinery? Fences?
Welder is a broad statement. A guy that welds pipeline is not the guy that welds roll cages or assembly line machinery.
What certs are you going for?

4Waters

Reaction score
New jobs are posted on Fridays and the ultra rare (1 time in 2 years) Tuesday. Welder was posted a little over a year ago so it might be about another year, cement finisher was posted a month ago. I think carpenter will be posted in the next 12 months as well. The easiest way into the city is finisher worker and maintenance and construction helper.

You can set up an alert for when a particular job is going to open here

LBsuperJET

Well-Known Inmate #1155
Reaction score
Welder is a broad statement. A guy that welds pipeline is not the guy that welds roll cages or assembly line machinery.
Whatever pays well. Going for the general arc cert first then on to others as I have the time. Im open to anything to be honest. I know pipeline is the big money and the definite difference to offload fab, wrought iron work, etc.

nowski

Reaction score
I took welding courses back in the late 70's at Cerritos College, good luck on your career path...

79 HUSTLER

Reaction score
What do you mean? I was a pipe fitter, pipeline welder, and under water welder and now a roll cage welder??? I’ve got them all covered.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
If you have an artistic eye, and some people skills, good money to be made in custom railing and gate work. With the rise of "industrial modern" , even sheet steel planter boxes made to look riveted are money makers. Oxidize and clearcoat before install.

YeahYeah01

Reaction score
2020 was shitty for me job-wise to say the least. Took a position in Jan for a competitor of wife's company doing NDT on concrete (previous profession) and was laid off due to the 'rona in May. Took another opportunity working as a PM for a friend's high-end garage door and gate manufacturer in OC and was laid off just before Dec (he couldn't keep up on payroll). Wasn't paid out until after Valentines day of this year. I have been slowly coming to realization that I just need to go into biz for myself long term and be in charge of my own earnings and destiny (I hate that term lol).

Been welding for years as a hobby and side gig out of my garage and I love doing it. Just enrolled at Cerritos college for the welding cert program and start in a few weeks in summer session. Buddy hooked me up with the head instructor there and he made sure I didn't miss anything during enrollment.

Wife is a financial controller for a big Demo outfit in Santa Fe Springs and we live in LBC. My plan is to get this cert out of the way and either take a job as a welder or look into starting my own biz. Not sure if CA is the best state to do it in or not lol but I have to start somewhere. Long term plan is to get the hell out of here and end up somewhere better like everyone else 🤣

Im 36 yo and wife is almost 42. What would you guys do if y'all were me? Im glad I have some sort of plan to get out of this crap but I need to start learning about my options. Sorry about the run on sentences im on my 5th crispy boy LOL

-Reid
Off topic a bit. But I work for an abatement/demo company. Been in this field for a long time. Superintendents and Foreman's make dam good money depending on the company. The work is not that complicated.

If you have solid PM and construction experience, is there no opportunity at her company? Or is just not something you're into?

DLC

Reaction score
I’m a small GC and you kinda of find a niche that works for you.

if your going to do structural steel you’ll need a shop, fork lift, big truck, to deliver columns and embeds etc
if going to do home owner fix it’s or fence gate you could do that out of your garage but your going to need pics and a catalog so people can pick and choose what they want

if going for Mobil weld then you need a big ol truck loaded up with all the stuff and a power source type welder

while each type is the same weld - they are way different operational

the other thing is you might need a contractor lic and that take 7-9 months if so start it now - get the application going, look at getting some insurance make some calls for general liability Ins. and see where that takes you. If working as a sub contractor you’ll need to be 100% legal, if doing home owner type stuff you can skate a little and do cash sales and fly UNDER the 100% legal

if you can tag onto a buddy’s shop and kinda work as a fence guy and he does structural that might get you going in a direction

you need to get the phone ringing!

you could get some fence work going thru RDP everyone is doing pools and fences and they need gates etc AND everyone in Havasu is swamped a good opportunity right here!

good Luck!

one more thing -
if you work for home owners they pay fast, deposit and 100% when completed
if working as a sub contractor you need to be able to carry 30-45 days in between invoices

Last edited:

LBsuperJET

Well-Known Inmate #1155
Reaction score
Off topic a bit. But I work for an abatement/demo company. Been in this field for a long time. Superintendents and Foreman's make dam good money depending on the company. The work is not that complicated.

If you have solid PM and construction experience, is there no opportunity at her company? Or is just not something you're into?
Early 2020 I went to work for Swinerton's demo division. Laid off of course like said above. I have a small amount of project management experience only. My wife's company is pretty much locked up on field management and whatnot, plus, we aren't completely sure how it would be working for the same company/branch to be completely honest.

LBsuperJET

Well-Known Inmate #1155
Reaction score
I’m a small GC and you kinda of find a niche that works for you.

if your going to do structural steel you’ll need a shop, fork lift, big truck, to deliver columns and embeds etc
if going to do home owner fix it’s or fence gate you could do that out of your garage but your going to need pics and a catalog so people can pick and choose what they want

if going for Mobil weld then you need a big ol truck loaded up with all the stuff and a power source type welder

while each type is the same weld - they are way different operational

the other thing is you might need a contractor lic and that take 7-9 months if so start it now - get the application going, look at getting some insurance make some calls for general liability Ins. and see where that takes you. If working as a sub contractor you’ll need to be 100% legal, if doing home owner type stuff you can skate a little and do cash sales and fly UNDER the 100% legal

if you can tag onto a buddy’s shop and kinda work as a fence guy and he does structural that might get you going in a direction

you need to get the phone ringing!

you could get some fence work going thru RDP everyone is doing pools and fences and they need gates etc AND everyone in Havasu is swamped a good opportunity right here!

good Luck!
Fantastic points sir!

Yeah, to be honest I am unsure of which route to take. Ive done the mobile thing and while it definitely works, it isn't my favorite. It also depends on where we want to live and what would make sense for me and my fam at the time. Definitely need to think about this.

DLC

Reaction score
My neighbor was a horse shoer and he was always making stuff for his clients gates, yard art, patio posts etc fixing barns and corrals etc

he also made trinkets
horse shoe cowboys, hat hooks, wagon wheel benches, flower pots bases, ore carts you name it

you can also make AR500 shooting targets and dueling trees etc

one if the popular things in havasu are the rock mail box deals that can be made up I have a few ideas to use some low volt lights to light up the address part, that stuff isn’t even on the radar out here, check with some rock yards and see if they are interested, you can make em let them sell em and you could also install it for a separate price....

so you don’t need a traditional job so to speak - just need to be creative in your thinking

YeahYeah01

Reaction score
Early 2020 I went to work for Swinerton's demo division. Laid off of course like said above. I have a small amount of project management experience only. My wife's company is pretty much locked up on field management and whatnot, plus, we aren't completely sure how it would be working for the same company/branch to be completely honest.
Gotcha. Ya it would be pretty weird working for the same division that's for sure.

Either way back good luck on your next endeavor.

DLC

Reaction score
The other thing to think about is right now your young and dumb and will do anything to make a buck but in 15 -20 years you want to train a young and dumb punk so you don’t have to do all this general labor type work....

and I really dont mean to say your young and dumb but down the road you want to work smarter and not harder....

dspracing

Reaction score
I bought some parts from a guy in HB who is a longshoreman. He indicated that they were ALWAYS looking for fabricators/welders. Pass the weld test and you are in and working immediately. With the pay and OT they get it would certainly more than pay the bills. Given your location that would be the first avenue I would think you might want to pursue. He also indicated that once you get in on the welding side you can transfer to any of the other departments including clerking which would be nice once you get up in age.

LBsuperJET

Well-Known Inmate #1155
Reaction score
The other thing to think about is right now your young and dumb and will do anything to make a buck but in 15 -20 years you want to train a young and dumb punk so you don’t have to do all this general labor type work....

and I really dont mean to say your young and dumb but down the road you want to work smarter and not harder....
I completely agree. I don't want to be in the position to where the need to make money outweighs my bodies abilities.

LBsuperJET

Well-Known Inmate #1155
Reaction score
I bought some parts from a guy in HB not too long ago from a longshoreman. He indicated that they were ALWAYS looking for fabricators/welders. Pass the weld test and you are in and working immediately. With the pay and OT they get it would certainly more than pay the bills. Given your location that would be the first avenue I would think you might want to pursue.
Yeah. That has been on my radar. over the last decade I have HATED living here (for obvious reasons). But in this industry there is a lot of money to be made!

lbhsbz

Reaction score
I would suggest taking classes in management while doing as much side work as you can to build capital...then start a business and hire a bunch of people who think they want to work their asses off and wear out their bodies and don't yet realize it'll suck in a few years.

bilz

Newly Retired!😁
Reaction score
New jobs are posted on Fridays and the ultra rare (1 time in 2 years) Tuesday. Welder was posted a little over a year ago so it might be about another year, cement finisher was posted a month ago. I think carpenter will be posted in the next 12 months as well. The easiest way into the city is finisher worker and maintenance and construction helper.

You can set up an alert for when a particular job is going to open here

Keep you eyes out for a govt job. 34 years out at 56😁

Your ad here

Reaction score
I looked up NDT concrete... Give Subsonic Imaging a call and see if they are hiring. I believe they are in the South Bay area (Torrance). I wouldn't go the welding route unless it was union. I've seen a bunch of young guys go all in on the welding career only to be making $18-$22/hr. non union.

Javajoe

Reaction score
My company is always hiring Superintendents. If interested...Tilden-Coil Constructors. I think we have like 40+ schools and private projects currently active. Check out our website. You can apply there as well. Major benefits and good pay

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
Carpenters union. I’m the welding instructor. It’s a great career. I have a pretty cool shop too
2A33A36D-9CD5-4A37-91E4-130321572494.jpeg

bilz

Newly Retired!😁
Reaction score
Look into IBEW Traffic Signal Electrician . Afte4 you turn out some municipality will steal you. LA City picked up a bunch pre civic. Look into welding with DWP.

bilz

Newly Retired!😁
Reaction score
Absolutely, that's where I started. Trade tech offers a class that qualifies you to take the ECH exam.

Marios Metalworks

Reaction score
I would suggest taking classes in management while doing as much side work as you can to build capital...then start a business and hire a bunch of people who think they want to work their asses off and wear out their bodies and don't yet realize it'll suck in a few years.

Couldn’t be more spot on. I switched from engineering to a focus on operations and manufacturing tech after spending five years welding up turbocharging systems. Took an internship in FinTech at the end of college (mainly because I was shitty with money) that turned into a 7yr career. Left that in 2019 after saving up enough capital to do my own thing and haven’t look back.

The design and fab business went legit in 2019, doubled my shop space in 2020 and currently developing a student outreach program to pitch at ASU, EVIT and MCC.

I plan on going back to FinTech consulting next year. Hopefully Ill have this badass shop run by a bunch of students by then.

Marios Metalworks

Reaction score
I have been slowly coming to realization that I just need to go into biz for myself long term and be in charge of my own earnings and destiny (I hate that term lol).

What would you guys do if y'all were me?

I’d think up the craziest five year plan possible and jump. Take calculated risks. Fake it till you make it.

riverroyal

Reaction score
What do you mean? I was a pipe fitter, pipeline welder, and under water welder and now a roll cage welder??? I’ve got them all covered.
Ok.
He is starting, its best to pick one path for the 1st time. Yes you can change later.

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
Damn carpenteros want to do everyone's job. In all honesty you're welding shop is nicer than our 416/433 shop.
I’ve only been to the shop in San Diego. They were hosting the cwi test there. They were being funny and kind of said the same thing. One guy said I didn’t even know carpenters could weld. I replied yessir all the shit you guys can’t bolt together. Everyone thought it was pretty funny. Super cool group though, that class wasn’t too bad.

Nordie

Reaction score
I’ve only been to the shop in San Diego. They were hosting the cwi test there. They were being funny and kind of said the same thing. One guy said I didn’t even know carpenters could weld. I replied yessir all the shit you guys can’t bolt together. Everyone thought it was pretty funny. Super cool group though, that class wasn’t too bad.

That's funny, but those guys do a lot of welding. I went through the 416 side, so we don't weld at all, we only have 2 416 hands that have the rebar certs. Part of the apprenticeship program for us rebar guys is we do have to weld horizontal and vertical. The 433 side is a lot more involved. The welding instructor told me I should go for my cert, because my plates tested very well. I never pursued it.

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
That's funny, but those guys do a lot of welding. I went through the 416 side, so we don't weld at all, we only have 2 416 hands that have the rebar certs. Part of the apprenticeship program for us rebar guys is we do have to weld horizontal and vertical. The 433 side is a lot more involved. The welding instructor told me I should go for my cert, because my plates tested very well. I never pursued it.
It’s usually our pile drivers and bridge hands that weld structural D1.1. Or interior systems guys are light gauge D1.3. Now that I think about it bridge guys are D1.5. Stainless is 1.4 I think. I dont remember I’ve only had to deal with it once so far. Welding will open a lot of doors for sure. You’re also gonna get burned every now and then too. 😬 flux core welding yesterday. I knew I was going to get burned but I was lying on my back on the hot street and just wanted to finish.
1F3A5B69-5C26-4C78-882B-24C005475F50.jpeg

Op if you have any questions about the carpenters shoot me a text. (909) 374-6509 I work out of the Buena Park training center or local 714.

Nordie

Reaction score
It’s usually our pile drivers and bridge hands that weld structural D1.1. Or interior systems guys are light gauge D1.3. Now that I think about it bridge guys are D1.5. Stainless is 1.4 I think. I dont remember I’ve only had to deal with it once so far. Welding will open a lot of doors for sure. You’re also gonna get burned every now and then too. 😬 flux core welding yesterday. I knew I was going to get burned but I was lying on my back on the hot street and just wanted to finish. View attachment 1000662

Op if you have any questions about the carpenters shoot me a text. (909) 374-6509 I work out of the Buena Park training center or local 714.

Yep burns are going to happen. When I was in welding class I would sneak in on other students welding and drop some of my chewing tobacco on their hot ass plates. It's called smokeless tobacco for a reason. That shit will take your breath away.

Reid, honestly I would get as many certs as you can. It's totally worth it! Like these guys are saying it will open a lot of doors.

evantwheeler

Reaction score
Certs can get you in the door, but the best welders I know, and the ones that make great money, are guys that can work in unfavorable conditions, fit plate/pipe/structural members, and are willing to travel. Obviously they are also talented welders, but I’ve met lots of welders that look great on coupons and in the shop testing, but absolutely suck ass in the field. I’m a PM for a union Welding company out of Temecula and tons of guys come through with all kinds of certs and confidence but don’t make the cut working for us.

I’ve got my SMAW and FCAW Unlimited thickness all positions D1.1 plate certs and I’ve never welded for pay in my life and could not cut it working for myself as a welder, so I don’t put much credit in certs. You can teach someone to weld, really hard to teach work ethic and drive, which sets all of our guys above the rest along with their skills.

Last edited:

Icky

Reaction score
It’s usually our pile drivers and bridge hands that weld structural D1.1. Or interior systems guys are light gauge D1.3. Now that I think about it bridge guys are D1.5. Stainless is 1.4 I think. I dont remember I’ve only had to deal with it once so far. Welding will open a lot of doors for sure. You’re also gonna get burned every now and then too. 😬 flux core welding yesterday. I knew I was going to get burned but I was lying on my back on the hot street and just wanted to finish. View attachment 1000662

I thought stainless was 1.6

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
I thought stainless was 1.6
I think you’re right. 1.4 might be rebar. I’m mostly out of 1.3 unless I’m studying for my test which is 1.1. I use the others only for contractor requests certs or wps’s. Lots of money on all those code books. Lots of Monet to be made knowing how to navigate them. Any one with a cwi could have a job starting tomorrow

Icky

Reaction score
I think you’re right. 1.4 might be rebar. I’m mostly out of 1.3 unless I’m studying for my test which is 1.1. I use the others only for contractor requests certs or wps’s. Lots of money on all those code books. Lots of Monet to be made knowing how to navigate them. Any one with a cwi could have a job starting tomorrow
Anyone worth hiring is already working

riverroyal

Reaction score
If welding is you passion for life i would stay away from construction 'site' work. Or construction all together.
Find a niche market and go that route.

I only know the construction side and its not what it was.

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
Anyone worth hiring is already working
Yup. That’s why even though I’m not a welder by trade or that wasn’t my specialty. It’s easier to get me trained and certified. Anyone that already has a cwi is already working and probably making a little more than me.

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score
Yup. That’s why even though I’m not a welder by trade or that wasn’t my specialty. It’s easier to get me trained and certified. Anyone that already has a cwi is already working and probably making a little more than me.
Just great. Last week you dry wallers put 2 screws thru our pipe. Now you want to weld in the field. :oops::)

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
Just great. Last week you dry wallers put 2 screws thru our pipe. Now you want to weld in the field. :oops::)
It’s been a requirement to journey out since before I was in the trade. It used to be la city was required now it’s just aws

Your ad here

Reaction score
I would also look into job availability, job locations, wages, and competition on the labor side. I get asked often why I don't become a welder, on the non union side in construction. It seems like a dead end position and I've seen so many young guys give up so much, for so little pay because welding is their passion and it's more an emotional job. I'd be afraid they will water down the wages because it is an emotional job for them. Worked with a bunch of older welders that didn't make much but welding is the only trade they know and are locked in till the end.
I say go all in with your own welding business and not punch a time clock for someone else. Or keep it a hobby, enjoy it, and make a little extra cash on the side to spend at the river or buy nicer hobby equipment.

LBsuperJET

Well-Known Inmate #1155
Reaction score
Certs can get you in the door, but the best welders I know, and the ones that make great money, are guys that can work in unfavorable conditions, fit plate/pipe/structural members, and are willing to travel. Obviously they are also talented welders, but I’ve met lots of welders that look great on coupons and in the shop testing, but absolutely suck ass in the field. I’m a PM for a union Welding company out of Temecula and tons of guys come through with all kinds of certs and confidence but don’t make the cut working for us.

I’ve got my SMAW and FCAW Unlimited thickness all positions D1.1 plate certs and I’ve never welded for pay in my life and could not cut it working for myself as a welder, so I don’t put much credit in certs. You can teach someone to weld, really hard to teach work ethic and drive, which sets all of our guys above the rest along with their skills.
Great perspective.

LBsuperJET

Well-Known Inmate #1155
Reaction score
I would also look into job availability, job locations, wages, and competition on the labor side. I get asked often why I don't become a welder, on the non union side in construction. It seems like a dead end position and I've seen so many young guys give up so much, for so little pay because welding is their passion and it's more an emotional job. I'd be afraid they will water down the wages because it is an emotional job for them. Worked with a bunch of older welders that didn't make much but welding is the only trade they know and are locked in till the end.
I say go all in with your own welding business and not punch a time clock for someone else. Or keep it a hobby, enjoy it, and make a little extra cash on the side to spend at the river or buy nicer hobby equipment.
Interesting, I would agree. Im learning a lot by listening to what everyone has to say. Yes I love welding, but the emotion isn't going to drive my decision. Its time for me to make real money.