WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Any BMW Mechanics?

bruddah

Reaction score
About to pull my hair out with my wife's car, 2011 bmw 328i sedan. She comes home and says her headlight is out and i think no problem, go grab a bulb. Well after getting the current bulb out, i notice it is perfectly fine. I put it in the other headlight and works just fine. All other functions of the light were just fine except the low beam (halogen).

fuses are good, bulbs good, just no power to the low beam (wiring and plug look fine)... WTF?

HALLETT BOY

Reaction score
I think the headlights are controlled by a module , hook up a scan tool

ChevelleSB406

Reaction score
sorry, not a bmw tech by any stretch, GM vehicles are my background. Only reason I chime in is say take my truck for example, chevrolet, 2004, many of that generation and suburbans and tahoes had issues with running lights not coming on on drivers side. Bulb fine, light fine, the body control module was the issue, so not a mechanical failure, more a software bug. Might be a similar kind of issue with bmw's. sorry I am not more help.

A quick google search, maybe you can track down a couple of these leads.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=771931

traquer

Reaction score
I had the full diagnostic software and hardware kit and could do everything including reprogram your dome light to flash LOL. But someome stole the laptop.

Go on the BMW forums and find someone in your area that does "coding" or diagnostics and they can check if the car is throwing any codes. They'll use something like this which is what I had: http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-USB-OBD...249181?hash=item25d7333c5d:g:zfMAAOSwpoJXDsYZ

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
Light it on fire. It's cheaper. There is a reason it costs like $600 for an oil change, they are a major pain in the ass to work on. (advice from my car dealer buddy)

No worse than any other modern car.

<--- changed the oil in his BMW this weekend for $50.00

69 1/2

Reaction score
So I just gotta ask, why on god's green earth do people buy European cars, German in particular? It's shocking how low quality rated they are year after year especially when compared to the Asian offerings? I can't figure it out.

boatpi

Reaction score
My Lambo oil changes are not free, but I hit them in the once a year special maybe $340. As oppose to yearly service at $1,095 " deal".

Cray Paper

Reaction score
Because the US auto rags say they are awesome and the ultimate driving machine, and they are cool, until they are broken, witch is often. The Germans are relentless in the pursuit of technology to the point of overly engineering the most basic utilitarian mechanism. Does a sunroof really need it's own "control module"? My wife's 2003 540i did, and when the sunroof quit working, it along with the entire sunroof assembly had to be swapped out to the tune of 4800.00 dollars when it shit the bed in the middle of winter in Seattle with the sunroof open. Good thing it was under warranty, got rid of that POS before the factory warranty was up. New rotors, calipers and tires were required every 20K miles on that car. Yea, it handled and stopped great, but dam, it was family sedan.

NFW would I own one out of warranty.

napanutt

Connoisseur
Reaction score
Because they give you license to drive like an asshole. :D
[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

IMG_8476.JPG

spectra3279

Vaginamoney broke
Reaction score
BMW doesn't stand for "Broke My Wallet" for nothing.

Old Texan

Honorary Warden #377 Emeritus - R.I.P.
Reaction score
Sports cars and Hot Rods.....Fun to drive and frequent to fix.:skull

I've learned one thing about Porsches. Just because you can see and feel a bolt or nut, does not mean a standard set of tools has one that can fit on it. So many specialty tools and/or bent and twisted alterations to standard tools is required it's crazy.;)

bruddah

Reaction score
I knew I was opening myself up with this one, so thanks fellas!

Apparently, the computer sent a malfunction code which requires the entire computer to be reset regardless if the light was and is working fine. I don't get it but at least i didn't get raped to have the module replaced and it was just resetting the computer!

Chili Palmer

Master of My Domian
Reaction score
I'm learning after 2 BMW's they are disposable cars - after the warranty nobody wants one, they basically become parts cars.

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score

Apparently, the computer sent a malfunction code which requires the entire computer to be reset regardless if the light was and is working fine. I don't get it but at least i didn't get raped to have the module replaced and it was just resetting the computer!

Never underestimate the power of pulling the lead on the battery for 30 seconds.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
About to pull my hair out with my wife's car, 2011 bmw 328i sedan. She comes home and says her headlight is out and i think no problem, go grab a bulb. Well after getting the current bulb out, i notice it is perfectly fine. I put it in the other headlight and works just fine. All other functions of the light were just fine except the low beam (halogen).

fuses are good, bulbs good, just no power to the low beam (wiring and plug look fine)... WTF?

Probably the ignitor. I can't remember every car, but if you look on the bottom or back of the light assembly, there is a module attached to it. Swap the modules left to right, just like you did with the bulb, and see what happens to it.

Follow the wires from the bulb, and you'll find the ignitor module. Good luck!

milkmoney

Reaction score
Probably the ignitor. I can't remember every car, but if you look on the bottom or back of the light assembly, there is a module attached to it. Swap the modules left to right, just like you did with the bulb, and see what happens to it.

Follow the wires from the bulb, and you'll find the ignitor module. Good luck!
My god not one bad word about BMW, miracle.

I have loved all my beamers, and enjoy owing them and driving them. [emoji106] [emoji202]

Haters going to hate. [emoji6]

Cray Paper

Reaction score

I have loved all my beamers, and enjoy owing them and driving them. [emoji106] [emoji202]

"OWING" is the what makes your statement funny, and true.

Cray Paper

Reaction score
Yea , wah wah my car broke and it COSTS money to fix ...

Anyone who thinks a main stream vehicle like a non M series BMW cant get over the hurdle of a 40K factory warranty without having issues that costs several thousands of dollars to repair is normal cracks me up. Again, where is the "quality"? In the seat leather? Super cushy gel filled isolation bushings on every hard point mount that leak and fall apart after 5 years? Hyper aggressive brake pad material on a basic car that tears up rotors that are paper thin in 20K miles? Factory alignments that wear the shit out of the inside of the rear tires from day one?

One of my buddies was a BMW mechanic for 15 years, if you would like I can dive in to some of his stories of 100+ K cars that couldn't make it a block from the dealer on day one.

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
Anyone who thinks a main stream vehicle like a non M series BMW cant get over the hurdle of a 40K factory warranty without having issues that costs several thousands of dollars to repair is normal cracks me up. Again, where is the "quality"? In the seat leather? Super cushy gel filled isolation bushings on every hard point mount that leak and fall apart after 5 years? Hyper aggressive brake pad material on a basic car that tears up rotors that are paper thin in 20K miles? Factory alignments that wear the shit out of the inside of the rear tires from day one?

One of my buddies was a BMW mechanic for 15 years, if you would like I can dive in to some of his stories of 100+ K cars that couldn't make it a block from the dealer on day one.

I just put brakes on my 03 530i, at 160,000 miles. Other than an alignment after it got sideswiped it hasn't seen the inside of a BMW dealership since I purchased it. Nothing that has gone wrong has been all that difficult to fix, other than the pixels in the DIS.

It does eat tires, so I just buy cheap tires.

But that is why Toyota sells a million Camrys a year, most people like boring and there isn't anything wrong with that.

traquer

Reaction score

:thumbsup yeah I initially bought the software only because I got pissed off at the fact that I had to take my car to the dealer to reset the computer when I changed my battery :grumble:

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score

I see so many threads these days, where people are asking for help, and then just get shit on by most everyone here.

Being funny is one thing. Being a jackass is quite another.

P.S. This isn't directed at you, so fuck you Dave! :D

milkmoney

Reaction score
I see so many threads these days, where people are asking for help, and then just get shit on by most everyone here.

Being funny is one thing. Being a jackass is quite another.

P.S. This isn't directed at you, so fuck you Dave! :D
Gotcha

Fuckoffjoe [emoji202] [emoji4]

d4l

Reaction score
So I just gotta ask, why on god's green earth do people buy European cars, German in particular? It's shocking how low quality rated they are year after year especially when compared to the Asian offerings? I can't figure it out.

Low quality? BMW and Audi are lightyears better then any asian car I can think of. Also they dont lose half the value as you roll it out of the shop. Idk, maybe they have some low quality US versions lol

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Low quality? BMW and Audi are lightyears better then any asian car I can think of. Also they dont lose half the value as you roll it out of the shop. Idk, maybe they have some low quality US versions lol

Seriously???

That's some funny shit right there! Thanks for the laugh. &#128077;

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
Few cars depreciate faster than large German sedans. Not an opinion, easily verifiable...

Singleton

Reaction score
I hated putting values on a 7 series trade in.....[emoji13]

My dad has a 2014 7 with only 15k on it. He went to trade in on a M6 and the trade in price was so low we kept it and shipped it to his FL and purchased the M6 for the summers in Chicago.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
My dad has a 2014 7 with only 15k on it. He went to trade in on a M6 and the trade in price was so low we kept it and shipped it to his FL and purchased the M6 for the summers in Chicago.

M6 Gran Coupe I hope :)