WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Any Cole Boats officianado's on here? What do you think?

79 HUSTLER

Reaction score
J540's is a 20.5 Biggest P.O.S. on the water :eek: :eek: :D Have lots of video of it but no way of getting them on the computer... Still torn apart in his driveway from junking the motor the first run out last year :fingers: :fingers:

oldschool

Reaction score
I remember seeing a picture of a v drive 22 nighthawk from one of the Irvine Lake events. I've always really liked the Nighthawk and the Skier, badass boats.

boater250s

Reaction score
I bought my Cole brand new in 1999. I love this boat. My first brand new boat and it will be my last. I like it that much. Dealing with Jim Cole on some days he was a great guy and on other days not so great. Was always polite to my wife and kids. I just think you can't beat the lines and even after ten years people will still comment on how it is a nice looking boat, and a Cole.

2z8p3k5.jpg

79 HUSTLER

Reaction score
Haha yes! Where is that vid on youtube? I can't find it anymore.:grumble:

Here is a not so good you tube video of his POS

YouTube- Rough Idle

Wish I knew how to post video as I have one of us TRYING to keep up with Gibson's boat across the afternoon rough in the middle of the lake. 104 in some rough water on Poker run day.

XtrmWakeborder

Bean Counter
Reaction score

YouTube - Rough Idle

Wish I knew how to post video as I have one of us TRYING to keep up with Gibson's boat across the afternoon rough in the middle of the lake. 104 in some rough water on Poker run day.

That's the one. Holy shit....:thumbsup:thumbsup:thumbsup:thumbsup

Didn't you have a giant F450 you were building?

79 HUSTLER

Reaction score
That's the one. Holy shit....:thumbsup:thumbsup:thumbsup:thumbsup

Didn't you have a giant F450 you were building?

Maybe, if it was an orange 650. If so its in my shop getting ready to take apart and put the 4x4 and airbags suspension on. Been a very slow project once my lil girl was born.

XtrmWakeborder

Bean Counter
Reaction score
Maybe, if it was an orange 650. If so its in my shop getting ready to take apart and put the 4x4 and airbags suspension on. Been a very slow project once my lil girl was born.

Ahh that's the one.

Post up a thread once it gets going, and congrats.:thumbsup

Cheetah Boats

Boat Manufacturer
Reaction score
Anyone know when Jim Cole built the last 28/30', anyone own one?, how did the bottom run with HO power? pic's??

Really sweet looking boat like the 25!:D

Know this was an old post, but really liked the cole line up.

thanks for the info...

67 baron sprint LD 390 FE

Reaction score
this is a cool thread about cole boats I own a 20 ss like the one shown on here. The boat is awesome handles like a bigger boat. It's a 1990 and i bought it with 120 hrs, it's in mint condition. Want a schiada but don't have the money yet. I believe dominater boats in havasu has coles 25 mold and the 22 skier, I think he's built a couple of them from what I have seen.

Tom Brown

Epsilon contributor
Reaction score
I like Cole boats and they certainly have a loyal following but in 2008, at the boat show, I walked by right past a boat I'm pretty sure was a Cole. It's hard to say because I was walking very quickly to take care of a bladder issue.

The thing is, nobody tazed me to the ground and rammed their marketting bullshit down my throat. From that point on, I washed my hands of them. If they don't care enough about sales to ram their product down my throat... fuck 'em. :thumbsdown

Last edited:

Cheetah Boats

Boat Manufacturer
Reaction score
this is a cool thread about Cole boats I own a 20 ss like the one shown on here. The boat is awesome handles like a bigger boat. It's a 1990 and i bought it with 120 hrs, it's in mint condition. Want a schiada but don't have the money yet. I believe dominater boats in havasu has coles 25 mold and the 22 skier, I think he's built a couple of them from what I have seen.

Yeah, this is a cool thread, not sure what happened to that 20' mold, wish i knew where it was?, domin8er does NOT have those other molds though...

No one has any info on the 28/30?????

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
I like Cole boats and they certainly have a loyal following but in 2008, at the boat show, I walked by right boat I'm pretty sure was a Cole. It's hard to say because I was walking very quickly to take care of a bladder issue.

The thing is, nobody tazed me to the ground and rammed their marketting bullshit down my throat. From that point on, I washed my hands of them. If they don't care enough about sales to ram their product down my throat... fuck 'em. :thumbsdown

:fsakes

67 baron sprint LD 390 FE

Reaction score
A couple of years ago when domin8er had a couple of boats outside thier small shop they had on kiowa and industrial the had the 22 place and the 22 skier that cole use to make. The owner of domin8er i cant remember his name said that was the 22 skier cole use to make. the boat was blue a nd white a real simple gel coat sceme. I don't know if they still have it but I know I saw one done there

whiteworks

Custom Shutters by WhiteWorks
Reaction score
First let me say I really like the lines of the Cole 25. That being said I dont know if someone (lots of someones) would shell out 60K +++ to build a new one when there are some really nice used ones out there. I dont know what the next latest and greastest boat will be, but my intuition tells me it will be a freshly tooled boat and not a recycled mold from the past. What were talking about here is a homerun, gotta have it, get in line to get one in the mold, gonna pay what ever to get one deal. certain boats have gained that type of status for a while, some have gone the distance (21 RC comes to mind). In most cases that demand runs its course and fades away. Look at the DCB mach 22, great lines, great performance, highly coveted for the better part of a decade. I believe that mold has been sold (dont quote me on this) The reality is there were a bunch made and taken care of by there owners, and you can pick them up for a lot less than a new build. The Magic deckboat also comes to mind (That mold got some heavy use;)) but we all know how that one ended. So what will the next homerun be? If I knew the answer I'd go into the boat business:)

500bbc

Reaction score
J540's is a 20.5 Biggest P.O.S. on the water :eek: :eek: :D Have lots of video of it but no way of getting them on the computer... Still torn apart in his driveway from junking the motor the first run out last year :fingers: :fingers:

The pink goes well with his hair don't you think?:TinkerBell::rotflmao:

Attachments

• pinktrim.jpg
    pinktrim.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 540

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Last I heard Coles molds are at a shop in Winchester. They're building some boats there and were also laying up some hulls for Martin Marine.

Dunno if that is still the case.

Cheetah Boats

Boat Manufacturer
Reaction score
First let me say I really like the lines of the Cole 25. That being said I dont know if someone (lots of someones) would shell out 60K +++ to build a new one when there are some really nice used ones out there. I dont know what the next latest and greastest boat will be, but my intuition tells me it will be a freshly tooled boat and not a recycled mold from the past. What were talking about here is a homerun, gotta have it, get in line to get one in the mold, gonna pay what ever to get one deal. certain boats have gained that type of status for a while, some have gone the distance (21 RC comes to mind). In most cases that demand runs its course and fades away. Look at the DCB mach 22, great lines, great performance, highly coveted for the better part of a decade. I believe that mold has been sold (dont quote me on this) The reality is there were a bunch made and taken care of by there owners, and you can pick them up for a lot less than a new build. The Magic deckboat also comes to mind (That mold got some heavy use;)) but we all know how that one ended. So what will the next homerun be? If I knew the answer I'd go into the boat business:)

Reading a lot about the Cole 25, seems to be loved by all. Deck boats seem to be our best sellers, but some are dead set against them.... and Will not waver from a V-hull design...especially most people I speak to back east....

The Cole 25 and 28 seem to be timeless in design, and yeah I don't think it would be another Magic Deck boat run, but you would have "some" sales out of that boat down the line, as long as the lay up schedule and build quality are to par with Jim Cole's standards in the past...

Case and point Ron with the old Cheyenne mold has been doing awesome. Pretty sure he has 12 orders! Old design jet boat but timeless in beauty. I saw the first one he pulled out of the mold, and yeah it's a different market, but this jet boat will look "timeless" on the river, good today as it did many years ago! I'm considering having Ron build me one of these blasts from the past also.

I'm hoping we have a similar success's with the 21.5 deck boat we are currently tooling from the old 20' Silhouette plug right now, who knows in this market, it's a crap shoot...

Yeah your right, it's hard to sell a 60K boat when repo's are a dime a dozen and financing takes an act of god.....but we are making a few sales here and there, still my best sellers are the 10K used boat sales...

My crystal ball is broken also! LOL :thumbsup

Last edited:

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Reading a lot about the Cole 25, seems to be loved by all. Deck boats seem to be our best sellers, but some are dead set against them.... and Will not waver from a V-hull design...especially most people I speak to back east....

The Cole 25 and 28 seem to be timeless in design, and yeah I don't think it would be another Magic Deck boat run, but you would have "some" sales out of that boat down the line, as long as the lay up schedule and build quality are to par with Jim Cole's standards in the past...

Case and point Ron with the old Cheyenne mold has been doing awesome. Pretty sure he has 12 orders! Old design jet boat but timeless in beauty. I saw the first one he pulled out of the mold, and yeah it's a different market, but this jet boat will look "timeless" on the river, good today as it did many years ago! I'm considering having Ron build me one of these blasts from the past also.

I'm hoping we have a similar success's with the 21.5 deck boat we are currently tooling from the old 20' Silhouette plug right now, who knows in this market, it's a crap shoot...

Yeah your right, it's hard to sell a 60K boat when repo's are a dime a dozen and financing takes an act of god.....but we are making a few sales here and there, still my best sellers are the 10K used boat sales...

My crystal ball is broken also! LOL :thumbsup

My .02 cents.

If Jim Cole resurfaced today with his molds and said "I'm going to start building boats again" Jim Cole would sell boats, today.. Probably not a ton, but as much as this market would bear.

If someone else resurfaced with his molds today, and said I'm gonna be building boats.. I think people would stand back to see how they turned out, and how they were built.

The "die hards" though would want Jim to be involved with it somehow, even if it was just his "blessing" on the boat, because his very name smacks of quality and heritage. In other words they'd need to be convinced that it was still "Cole" quality if it was someone else.

RD

NASTYTOYSRACING01

Reaction score
That is a sick boat for 25K.

RD

jim cole is steal around from what ive herd,a dud on perf boats that has a shop said he was actually in his shop a few weeks ago,still laying low,this guy on the boards of perfo boats has a race shop,dominator does have the 25 cole mold,my body has one,j 540 's boat is bad ass and runs real good for a open bow,and geiro boats up near itascadero up north has the 20.5 supper sport mold witch is the boat that j540 has,ive talked to him and will probally have one built in a v-drive,you cant get a better boat thats why i named my son cole,its my favorite

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Someone registered here claiming to be Jim's son and said he would put up the straight shit. Never did make a post though.

RD

rioracr

Reaction score
how about the 17'10 t deck for an e-ticket ride:thumbsup

vdcruiser

Reaction score
Dave,
Here's a recent picture of my 98 Cole 220, AKA Nighthawk
(Well at least I hope so)
I believe that boat is pictured on page 54 and 55, (centerfold), of the July 2000 issue of Hot Boat Mag, which I am looking at. Beautiful boat, love that long deck. I talked to Jim once about building me a v-drive bare hull, but he was way too proud of them. I'm like Dave and wanted to know the difference in the Superhawk, Nighthawk and the 220. It looks like the deck may not step up as much at the edge, on the later Nighthawk,(220) model. I may have some older brochures if I can find them. Does anyone know where the mold for the 220 is?

92 cole

Reaction score
how about the 17'10 t deck for an e-ticket ride:thumbsup

WHATS WRONG WITH JETS! Aside from not being a rough water boat.

Attachments

• Paul and Kel 007.jpg
    Paul and Kel 007.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 581

Taboma

Reaction score
I believe that boat is pictured on page 54 and 55, (centerfold), of the July 2000 issue of Hot Boat Mag, which I am looking at. Beautiful boat, love that long deck. I talked to Jim once about building me a v-drive bare hull, but he was way too proud of them. I'm like Dave and wanted to know the difference in the Superhawk, Nighthawk and the 220. It looks like the deck may not step up as much at the edge, on the later Nighthawk,(220) model. I may have some older brochures if I can find them. Does anyone know where the mold for the 220 is?

Good catch VDcruiser !!
Fun photo shoot with Brett, Bob Brown & the model Drinda --- not so fun trying to clean all the baby oil off the white seats.
Jim used his Nighthawk mold when it was laid up in early 98, decided to call it a 220 since he was coming out with the new 250S.

Attachments

• Cole HB July 2000.jpg
    Cole HB July 2000.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 622

92 cole

Reaction score
I have tried to find info on this hull and the only response was from a guy on the boards who actually did the gel work and informed me that only a handful of this boat were made(very sorry I cant recall his name) but Tom at jpb has on in build and for sale and the gel coater I talked to said he recalled 2 being built, one all white and the one I acquired thru a trade with the color scheme of mine. The Starfire was a Southwind style hule. Mine has the TR-2 top and a completely different bottom.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
There used to be another Carlsbad guy on the boards that had a T-deck cole jet. His screen name was 87Cole (I think?) but the boat was an 86.. His boat was white, but had some paint on it if memory serves.. His name was Todd, but I haven't talked to him in years.

Nice guy, went to local bars and had beers a couple times.

RD

Gelcoater

Reaction score
I have tried to find info on this hull and the only response was from a guy on the boards who actually did the gel work and informed me that only a handful of this boat were made(very sorry I cant recall his name) but Tom at jpb has on in build and for sale and the gel coater I talked to said he recalled 2 being built, one all white and the one I acquired thru a trade with the color scheme of mine. The Starfire was a Southwind style hule. Mine has the TR-2 top and a completely different bottom.
let me clarify,total #s? no idea, but between 89-late 95 west coast only did 2, i did the taping/masking, and Mancinni sprayed it. after that time i think Cole got tired of sending drivers out to Elsinore to pick up hulls and got his own glass shop goin. those were the days.

92 cole

Reaction score
THERE YOU ARE!!! Sorry I could not remember the handle on the web but thanks for chiming in. I wont forget it now! AND YES THOSE WERE THE DAYS!!!!!!!!!! Seems kinda funny it turned out back in Elsinore. Kinda forgot to mention that I get nothing but hi-5 fives on the scheme of the lay-up and colors. GREAT JOB!!! M

Last edited:

wedge45

Reaction score

YouTube- Rough Idle

I have alot of pics of me towing this POS into the docks after running:D:D:D

j540

Reaction score
I have alot of pics of me towing this POS into the docks after running:D:D:D

HAHAHA That was a long time ago,Jack azz, lol. Back when it had a Carb, motor, and when the 5mph zone in Thompson's Bay in Havasu was right in front of the Nautical Inn, Liike 1993. A long time ago, And if your budy didn't switch the fuel to the wrong tank I would have been sitting back sucking down a cooly:champagne: before you even got your POS on the trailer..:D:D.
Maybe 2011 I'll have it back out. Motor has been sitting in the garage for two yr, now. but the boat need new interior BAD before it can see water.

71Cuda

Reaction score
How does the 250S handle the rough stuff, It's one of the boats I'm considering right now?

grumpy88

Reaction score
How does the 250S handle the rough stuff, It's one of the boats I'm considering right now?
Well I asked the same question to the owner of one being sold last year and he said not well . Granted it was a holiday weekend but he said over 40 mph in the rough it got rough . Lol . Really kind of made me sad . Not what I wanted to hear

71Cuda

Reaction score
That's a bummer, I really like the look of that boat, sleek, beautiful. We get pretty rough on the weekends here too.

grumpy88

Reaction score
That's a bummer, I really like the look of that boat, sleek, beautiful. We get pretty rough on the weekends here too.
Dont just take my story . I was bummed and did not pursue it but I will always wonder . I have the inside on a 28 Cole but I think it's more then the wife and I can handle alone on the river .

71Cuda

Reaction score
Dont just take my story . I was bummed and did not pursue it but I will always wonder . I have the inside on a 28 Cole but I think it's more then the wife and I can handle alone on the river .
Id like to drive one, we'll see. Is the 28 the same bottome design? The 250 does't look too dee of a V really.

hawgty55

Reaction score
Well i can help with the drive we love ours as most Cole owners do the fit and finish is awesome for its time hull design and thisckness is next to none. Mine handles chop fine but imho they usually need more power the 25' doesnt ride well at 40mph the faster the better it will get. It is a v and not deep by any means so you will always sacrifice ride over larger boats and cats. I bought a Daytona to replace it but they are few and far between so were keeping it! Big chop it will handle you have to hang it out for the bottom to start working id say at 40 mph it beats you up pretty good as do most v's i believe.
Screenshot_20170729-020555.png

Last edited:

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
28's are fine on the river, my wife and I do it all the time!!!