WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Any Cole Boats officianado's on here? What do you think?

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
What did you think of Cole Boats? In particular the :

Nighthawk
superhawk
250S
280 - 300S (I heard they renamed the last couple to 30's because they measured bigger?)

What's the difference between the nighthawk and superhawk? Same bottom different top? etc..

If the 250S was being built today, how do you think it'd fair in the market? What about the 22Superhawk?

RD

RyanPartridge

Reaction score
I recently met this dude Roger at Fox's who has a pretty cool old Cole, but it's a jet...:p

.boatpoor

Reaction score

Attachments

• 94764655_1thumb_550x410.jpg
    94764655_1thumb_550x410.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 1,781
Last edited:

MoVal Tim

Reaction score
I asked about this a while back. This is the link. I think that TPC offered up the most info about Cole.

http://riverdavesplace.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5360

I still think Cole's lines are beatiful, but I still don't know anyone who has one, and I won't undersell my boat in order to get into one............yet.:D

Last edited:

500bbc

Reaction score
A friend of mine had a problem in I think it was a superhawk.
BAD chine walk spit everyone out, near drowning. The boat was returned for a "check out" and was cut up before insurance CO. got a look at it.

.boatpoor

Reaction score
BAD chine walk spit everyone out, near drowning. The boat was returned for a "check out" and was cut up before insurance CO. got a look at it.

Hey, lets try and keep this upbeat, huh.:D:D

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score

I believe the night hawk and the superhawk have the same bottom on them.. Truthfully I'm not even sure I know the difference between a nighthawk and a superhawk? Look the same to me? LOL

I have been right around 100 mph in a couple of Cole I/O's though.. The last one was a nighthawk open bow deal, boat handled great i thought.

RD

Revndave

Reaction score
I like the look of the Super Hawk.I had a buddy who has one.Stock 330hp454 would run almost 70.

Lue

Banned
Reaction score
I've seen a 25'er that I like very much. It was a recent year model for sale at Eliminator. I believe there was some speculation that maybe Eliminator was laying up the hulls...something like that. Don't remember all the details. However that hull does remind me of the eagle series by Eliminator.

TPC, I read where you posted what you've heard about Cole. Were you hinting that the Don Aronow and Jim Cole shootings were related???? Or did I completely miss the bus on that one?

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Does anybody know the difference between a nighthawk and a superhawk?

What other models did he have in that size range?

RD

mbrown2

Reaction score
I like all the Coles...but its sort of like the DCM's...loved the Howard Cruiser too....but if someone started remaking them I don't think I would be lining up...as their styling is more niche....it was aheard of its time but that time has passed so only the person looking for that niche is going to buy it....As for timeless shapes if I were in the market, I would tend to get a Schiada or Hallett...but that is just me...

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I've seen a 25'er that I like very much. It was a recent year model for sale at Eliminator. I believe there was some speculation that maybe Eliminator was laying up the hulls...something like that. Don't remember all the details. However that hull does remind me of the eagle series by Eliminator.

TPC, I read where you posted what you've heard about Cole. Were you hinting that the Don Aronow and Jim Cole shootings were related???? Or did I completely miss the bus on that one?

I have never heard anything to guess that they were even remotely related? Don Arronow was killed in the 80's I thought? Jim Cole was building boats into the late 90's early 2000's..

RD

Lue

Banned
Reaction score
I have never heard anything to guess that they were even remotely related? Don Arronow was killed in the 80's I thought? Jim Cole was building boats into the late 90's early 2000's..

RD

I'd have to go read everything again. i was buzzing thru that thread so I may have misunderstood something.

brianwhiteboy

Professional Lurker
Reaction score
This is my 91 Cole Super Sport 20'....actually I think they call it a 20.5'. Great boat, excellent quality - can't go wrong with Cole

displayimage.php

displayimage.php

Last edited:

mbrown2

Reaction score
Upon looking at the Cole 20.5, I have to say the Hi-Tech Marine 20.5 looks a lot like it...Jim Lang (who raced Coles at one point) owned Hi-Tech and I wonder if these 20.5 boats were built from the same molds or were completely different plugs....

.boatpoor

Reaction score
The 20' was originally a Tahetti/Carribean I believe. Finish line had one too, the mold I mean. I could probably look back in my old Powerboat mags from the seventies and scan some adds.:D:D

.boatpoor

Reaction score
Upon looking at the Cole 20.5, I have to say the Hi-Tech Marine 20.5 looks a lot like it...Jim Lang (who raced Coles at one point) owned Hi-Tech and I wonder if these 20.5 boats were built from the same molds or were completely different plugs....

Correct. The 21'WAS RAISED AND STRETCHED.

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
A 91 cole like that would have been gel'd and laid up by Danny Mancini in lake elisnore. They used that strip design a lot back then. Same guys that made my Caliber 1

Taboma

Reaction score
Since this is my first reply to anything,anywhere, please excuse if I goof this up.
I used to own a 1995 22' Superhawk with a 454 Mag I/O.
In 1998 I had Jim C. build me a 22' Nighthawk I/O with a 700HP Pfaff engine. It was also the same year Jim built the first 250S, in fact I drove his first one. Actually my boat was officially called a 220S and that's how it's indentified on it's sides.
The bottom is the same as the Superhawk, but Jim was using a newer mold. Top deck of the Nighthawk has smoother (Rounder) edges as it transitions to the raised portion of the deck. Minor differences at the stern as well.
We're here in SD North county as well --- lost house and pics of the older 1995 boat in the wild fire or I could show comparison pics --- assuming I knew how to post a pic which I don't. Currently posting from my shed in my avocado grove !!
In the AM I'll try to figure out how to post a pic of the 220S (Nighthawk).
Chine walk CAN be a problem depending on the set up, mine starts talking to me around hi-80's, water conditions depending. I know I need longer tabs, perhaps even an inch or two shorter lower, but first I need our house back --- priorities.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Welcome to the boards Taboma.. I'm sorry to hear you lost your house in the fires. :(

If you need any help posting pics juts let me know.

RD

Spiderman

Reaction score
My good buddy owns a 2000 or 2001 Cole 250s. One of the most badass boats I've ever been on. He loves it, and has owned a Cole since 1985. His boat's name is "Oral Cop" and is flawless. Great boat

Taboma

Reaction score
Dave,
Here's a recent picture of my 98 Cole 220, AKA Nighthawk
(Well at least I hope so)

Attachments

• Cole 220 sm.jpg
    Cole 220 sm.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 1,081

Taboma

Reaction score
Thank you HB
She certainly lights my fire, and that's what it's all about

mbrown2

Reaction score
Taboma...very nice boat!...those closed deck 22's have very nice lines...

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score

Others claimed it and mentioned it in a thread I posted once about the tales I've heard about JC - Pure rumor I must add,,, again.
I know little of Don Aronows relationship with Cole.

Aronow (sic?) had I'm told, foiled a violent kidnapping attempt about half a block away from Coles shop before the fatal shooting.
(Right next door to where the Country Video "I love this bar" was filmed BTW).

I had nothing but good, yet to the point dealings with Jim, and brother their is an angry group out there that doesn't want to hear that.
But their is a far far,, vastly bigger group of fans out there that are huge Cole fans.
Myself being one of them.

Why they have a hard-on for JC is beyond me.
Truly a character and legend in the boating world.

A documentary or book needs to be done.
JC had more depth than any man I know of in the boating world,, except maybe old man Higgins.

Last edited:

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
tpc I'm thinking you must be talking about a different arrownow then the "don arrownow" I'm thinking of? The don arrownow I'm thinking of was an eastcoast guy, started formula did real well with it and his "cigarette" race boats etc? Was killed by some drug dealers in febuary of 1987?

Did he have a kid or something? Or is there another arrownow out there famous for building / designing boats? Which also brings me back to the 34 magic sorcerer?

RD

Taboma

Reaction score
Sure Jim C. could be a bit "Rough" and "Cankerous" and to say he's a character is putting it mildly, but he built me two great solid boats and I got what I paid for --- I'm a huge fan of both Jim and his boats.

In regards to chine walk, the boat likes to take a set slightly bow up rather than run flat, it likes to sit on the delta pad. In a perfect set the bow will tend to "Draw" small circles as it rotates slightly on the pad. As speed increases the bravo four blade (And perhaps the bravo drive) tends to lift the transom, so you counter with increased trim. Eventually as I've seen in pictures I've had taken at high speed, the strakes and tabs are out of the water and the boat is balancing only on the last inch or so of the pad.
I know there's more top end to be had, as we all know, it just takes $$$ and experimentation.
Dave, sounds like you've ridden in two Cole I/Os who's owners have found the solutions. Should I ever decide to pursue more speed it seems those are the guys I need to talk to. Unless of course their solution was simply huge horsepower and leaving the bottom wet.

I also agree that the 250S is one fine boat, I came close to swapping for that model, but with the much higher freeboard it didn't have that "Flatty" feel I was seeking.

Lue

Banned
Reaction score
tpc I'm thinking you must be talking about a different arrownow then the "don arrownow" I'm thinking of? The don arrownow I'm thinking of was an eastcoast guy, started formula did real well with it and his "cigarette" race boats etc? Was killed by some drug dealers in febuary of 1987?

Did he have a kid or something? Or is there another arrownow out there famous for building / designing boats? Which also brings me back to the 34 magic sorcerer?

RD

There's a couple of sons I believe. Don't know about a DA Jr. tho.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score

RD

Yeah, that's the guy, I just have the spelling Jacked up.
I know nothing about him, except I'm told he designed some boats for Cole,, and also designed the Magic Sorcerer.

If you sit in one, Cole is the first name that comes to your mind.
Cole boat legacy all over the design and ride and performance of the Sorcerer IMHO.
The boat just drips with everything excellent.

The LAPD fellow Elks members I drink & chat with said Arrownow (sic?) and Cole also had some joint affiliation in building boats for the Treasury/DEA/CG.
Somehow the story then grows a leg or two in the re-telling, and the Cole monkey business gets brought in, so damfino what's real and conjecture.

Beyond that conversation, I really don't know anything about Don, or if any of what I'm told is true, and everything I write is pure rumor, and third hand info at best.

Last edited:

Lue

Banned
Reaction score
Yeah, that's the guy, I just have the spelling Jacked up.
I know nothing about him, except I'm told he designed some boats for Cole,, and also designed the Magic Sorcerer.

If you sit in one, Cole is the first name that comes to your mind.
Cole boat legacy all over the design and ride and performance of the Sorcerer IMHO.
The boat just drips with everything excellent.

The LAPD fellow Elks members I drink & chat with said Arrownow (sic?) and Cole also had some joint affiliation in building boats for the Treasury/DEA/CG.
Somehow the story then grows a leg or two in the re-telling, and the Cole monkey business gets brought in.

Beyond that conversation, I really don't know anything about Don, or if any of what I'm told is true.

That has to be DA out of the East Coast. He sold "go fast boats" to the smugglers and in turn LE had to buy go fast boats themselves. There's a Discovery CHannel type mini biography on him

Taboma

Reaction score
Waterndog --- We boat on Havasu. Been a couple of seasons since we've made the trip up past Topoc.

TYLER DURDEN

I really don't care
Reaction score
Tacoma- Thats one bad a$$ boat.

I remember when I was a teenager in 1996 we were at Lake Mead and a new 22 SuperHawk Open Bow was on the ramp. It had a similar gel pattern to Tacoma's but it was made up of reds, grays, black, and white. At the time, it was the most beautiful boat I'd ever seen and desired more than any other.

Oh and RD, to answer your questions, I have no focking clue...:D

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
So let me ask a hypothetical here..

If someone was to start producing the

22 Superhawk, 250S, and the 280/300S, to Cole's original standards..

Do you think anyone would step up to the plate and buy one in this market?

I personally think a couple of 250S's and maybe a 22 could actually be sold in this market.. The big boat I'm not sure about?

RD

BLOWN HOWARD

Reaction score
The 250s is a sick looking boat, the 22superhawk is bad ass and a good running bottom, my cousin has 2 of them a all black open bow putting around 800hp and a white closed bow with around 600hp. have to see if i have some pics of them

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
In addition to his go fast and family boats:
Cole was big into boat racing and had some proprietary designs with innovations he competed with.

Everyone claimed he stole designs from them, but then every good boat designer I've known has received the same kinda accusations too.

I remember of a couple of Brothers that lived up in Sylmar piloted for him.
Ferget their names. :hmm

Wonder what ever became of all that floating stock?

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
The 250S was on the cover of an old HOTBOAT magazine. Its the first HB mag I ever saw. Its not on the newstands around here, and I found it one of the repo houses I was working on. I took the magazine home and read it cover to cover, sent in my subscription money the next day.

I was pretty hot for that Cole on the cover, man was that boat beautiful. I had never seen such a sleek looking boat. I couldn't ever find one for sale, so I bought the Laveycraft which has pretty similar sleek lines to it.

Wasn't there a 250S but not really a Cole for sale on here or Havasu Doug's for a while? Great lines.

I just think there's an awful lot of used boats for sale to compete with....to be building anything new on spec....

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
The 250S is one of my favorite boats as well.. I still remember their add 96.7 mph with a Stage II procharged 502 mag... Or something like that.. LOL

Great looking boat, and some of them flat hauled ass.

RD

XtrmWakeborder

Bean Counter
Reaction score
What size Cole was J540s? Now that was a bad ass Cole.

And RD, I think if people were buying 25' V bottoms new right now that Cole would sell pretty damn good. IMO it is the best looking 25 footer I have seen.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
J540's boat was a 22 nighthawk or superhawk. I believe.

RD

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
Was that the one with the "Rough Idle" from Youtube? LOL :rolleyes: