WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Any ideas to keep cats away?

BingerFang

Reaction score
Neighbors at the river now have cats and they piss on our truck windshields, walk all over the boats when we leave them out at night and shit all over the gravel when we’re gone. I would shoot them but I don’t want to stir up any trouble with the neighbors since they live there full time and we are just at our place most weekends and have very expensive toys in the garage.

I wish my dog could catch them but they aren’t quick enough, lol.

Reactions: DWC

DWC

Reaction score
I gave a stray cat some tuna a few years back. It was on our block wall whining for a couple days. My 85ish yr old neighbor wasn’t having it. I got a call from my wife the next day that animal control came and grabbed it. She wasn’t messing around.

Tooned Up

Reaction score
Neighbors at the river now have cats and they piss on our truck windshields, walk all over the boats when we leave them out at night and shit all over the gravel when we’re gone. I would shoot them but I don’t want to stir up any trouble with the neighbors since they live there full time and we are just at our place most weekends and have very expensive toys in the garage.

You have the wrong dog!!! 🤣

GRADS

Phishing license is paid up to date
Reaction score
Let me preface this by saying I am an animal lover. With that said I had the same problem in my first house 30 years ago. I talked to the neighbor about it...that did nothing. Spent a small fortune on cat repellant. I even bought a trap and caught the cat many times on my property and brought it to the spca. The neighbors would pick it up and a couple days later I would have the same problem. I was at my wits end. I bought some d-con rat killer and mixed it up with some cat food and put it out in my front yard. I kid you not, the next day I woke up to a blue turd (because of the d-con) on my doorstep.:eek: Fucking cat! I figured it would probably die...nope couple days later he was good to go.:mad: Ended up moving a few months later, the cat won.

FishSniper

Reaction score

Not sure if it will work in your situation but I was having an issue with neighbor cat. Bought a motion activated sprinkler that you connect to the hose and left it plugged in a couple of nights and it seems to have helped haven’t had cat crap in the backyard for awhile.

ka0tyk

Warlock Performance Boats Merchandise Connections
Reaction score
I dont understand people who have "outdoor cats." What makes you think its okay to have an animal that just roams around everyone elses stuff and destroys it? Shits and pisses wherever it wants, etc. I love animals, but I hate outdoor cat owners. Its like they want a pet with zero of the responsibilities of owning one.

fmo24

Reaction score
I used red chili flakes in my planters for a couple of weeks and this seem to keep the strays away. Theory is they don’t like the burn on their pads

Drew

Banned
Reaction score
803B2B5F-DC62-41CB-82A0-E12B21F2B9C3.jpeg

TimeBandit

Reaction score
Coyotes are very effective against cats.

Nothing else works.

When I did maintenance management for commercial real estate several properties had huge cat problems, the owners thought the law was against them and they could not do anything about it. Well the laws changed and the targets were eliminated.

I would trap it an move it to a coyote infested forest. Natures recycling.

Taboma

Reaction score
I dont understand people who have "outdoor cats." What makes you think its okay to have an animal that just roams around everyone elses stuff and destroys it? Shits and pisses wherever it wants, etc. I love animals, but I hate outdoor cat owners. Its like they want a pet with zero of the responsibilities of owning one.

A previous indoor cat owner of many many many years --- And although I've only had one dog in my 73 years and that was 50 years ago, dogs and I get along stellar.

BUT, what the fuck is up with dogs who can apparently only feel the need to shit in somebody else's yard ?
Everyday, neighbors walk their pooches by the front of my house and I watch them squat and shit, why don't they squat and shit at their own house ?
Most are respectful enough to pick it up -- YEA !!! But so what, I'm the guy who's out there working later tending to my roses and plants and you can't tell me there's still not dog shit on the dirt right where I'm kneeling and working.
So you dog lover owners can bitch about the roaming cats, fine, but then have your dogs shit in your own yards, what's fair is fair. 😁

Taboma

Reaction score
Coyotes are very effective against cats.

Nothing else works.

When I did maintenance management for commercial real estate several properties had huge cat problems, the owners thought the law was against them and they could not do anything about it. Well the laws changed and the targets were eliminated.

I would trap it an move it to a coyote infested forest. Natures recycling.

We don't have a roaming cat problem here, because we have nightly visits by one to three yotes. They love our avocados, makes for some damn fine looking yotes as well.
Watch em haul off a bunny or three, but usually it's the avocados. If my game cam picks up a rare cat visitor, he might show up once or twice, then we don't see him anymore.
Except the Bobcats, we have lots of them too, but they seem to have their time schedule so it doesn't overlap with the coyotes. Besides, I don't think the coyotes are that hungry, the yotes don't mess with the racoons either.

But yes, coyotes are perfect for keeping the feral cat population in check --- OH, and our pair of Great Horned Owls, they enjoy cat as well.

bowtiejunkie

Reaction score
Motion activated Sprinkler.

coyote.

a trap works, but being the cats are the neighbor’s, that pretty much won’t solve the problem.

Spent 15 years dealing with cats. Then moved, only to have two cats now from a neighbor 3 doors away dumping in our lawn. A month ago, one cat went missing. Suspect a coyote got him as Coyotes have been plentiful this Spring. The other cat still roams the ‘hood. Owner says “I can’t keep the cats inside.” Ridiculous.

Taboma

Reaction score
A pair of our Cat deterrents. And NO we only shoot pictures of the coyotes, they were here before we were, keeps the bunnies and varmints in check.
They also clean up the fallen avocados. 😁
Wasn't even dark yet. Notice their award winning winter coats, don't look all scrawny and mangy like those AZ versions. 🥴
Coyote Pari 2-16-20 -1.jpg

Night security Patrol, down my rear walk.

Coyote pair Jan 1st.jpg

mothershipper

Reaction score
I've been using Cayenne pepper in my yard. Sams club has it for a decent price in a big bottle. A couple of weeks ago i sprinkled a bunch of it on the ground where the neighbors cats were shitting in my yard. That night we heard a cat crying on the side of the house where in used it. Seems to be working, but cats are fucking stupid and don't tend to remember. So i have to keep up on putting it down every few days.

AZLineman

Adjusting to retired life
Reaction score

12Ga🤷🏻‍♂️

77charger

Reaction score
My old house had problem with feral cats most 1 pump out of a 10 pump BB gun sent them away wouldn’t pierce them but they got the point. 1 was a tough bitch it never left it got 2-3 pumps that fucker thought my boat cover made a great bed. Luckily I moved out.

badgas

Reaction score
Outdoor cats are the worst.

Trap them and take to the shelter.

Or trap them, cover them with mustard and dirt and send them back out to walk thru thier owners cat door. They won't lick the mustard off so the owner gets the not so subtle message......So I've heard

HTTP404

New But Seasoned Inmate #2002
Reaction score
The motion detecting sprinklers are pretty good.

$hot

To say what? :)
Reaction score
put a Hotwire fence where they like to hang out, just run the strands along the ground or over the boat

.22 cb short rounds are almost quite out of a rifle

I agree with trapping them too, let them go out in the desert. Something will eat them. Just put the trap in the back of your truck with an old blanket covering it except for the front and back. When they get in the trap just go for a drive without pulling the trap out, no one will know.

Taboma

Reaction score
Valken Airsoft Rifles.

I was using an air soft pistol trying to dissuade a few bunnies from munching my lawn. I was standing on my deck, shooting down on them, like shooting fish in a barrel.
Wife and I were laughing our asses off, because occasionally one would jump a few feet away, usually the fucker would just give me a annoyed look and keep right on munching. 😂
After a few more hits, one might walk away, maybe leave, but the next night, they were back. I even had my wife shoot me with the damned thing, thinking it didn't pack any punch -- fuck, it stung. But for the bunny, it was like being hit wearing a thick winter jacket, but the "Fuck You, now knock it off, I'm eating here " look from them was priceless. 😁

badgas

Reaction score
All I have to say is " Get the cat " and he jumps right up the window and starts growling. Also very effective at keeping ducks out the pool.

PXL_20210412_164140606.jpg

Instigator

Just Livin up to My Name
Reaction score
Go on Amazon and order a Umbrex Steel Storm bb gun.
It will be very effective and fun as hell.
10 round auto burst or single shot.
Works on bunnies too.:D

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210412-123719_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210412-123719_Chrome.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 41

PDQH2O

Reaction score
Tried talking directly to the neighbor, filling glass jars with water and stategicly leaving them in the yard, wolf urine, granular cat deterrents, None of them worked. Neither the city nor the SPCA will do anything.

When all else fails, about the only option left short of dispatching it would be to get a live trap and start your own "feline relocation program". You know, for the health and safety of the cat 'cause cats are people too.

Last edited:

Taboma

Reaction score
Air soft was my main deterrent I didn’t want to harm them just scare them off. I had a spring powered 1911 air soft that worked good.

Yup, the spring powered 1911 air soft, bunnies just gave me a dirty "Fuck off" look and kept eating 😂

Looking Glass

1 = Well = Known = Member
Reaction score
I've been using Cayenne pepper in my yard. Sams club has it for a decent price in a big bottle. A couple of weeks ago i sprinkled a bunch of it on the ground where the neighbors cats were shitting in my yard. That night we heard a cat crying on the side of the house where in used it. Seems to be working, but cats are fucking stupid and don't tend to remember. So i have to keep up on putting it down every few days.

"Cats are Fucking Stupid" 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 :cool: