WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Any Jeep YJ Experts Out There? Dana 35 C leaking from the yoke nut.

Echo Lodge

Reaction score
I have a 93 YJ with a rear Dana 35 C that is leaking dif oil. The Yoke seal is probably original with 91k miles on it. It is NOT leaking around the yoke shaft. Dif oil is coming out around the yoke nut. I have ordered a GENUINE OEM SPICER DANA 35 REAR PINION NUT SEAL CRUSH SLEEVE JEEP XJ MJ ZJ YJ TJ. My question is does the crush washer seal the dif oil from coming out of the yoke? I have read that putting RTV on the splines of the yoke will stop the dif oil from wicking past the splines and through the Yoke nut.

I have wiped off the oil from the yoke in the pics but its definitely coming from the yoke nut. The dif oil is getting thrown from the yoke all over the undercarriage.

WhatsApp Image 2020-11-24 at 9.03.10 AM (2).jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2020-11-24 at 9.03.10 AM (1).jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2020-11-24 at 9.03.10 AM.jpeg

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
I may catch shit, but here it goes...What I've done before is mark the three parts, yoke, nut and pinion. Pull the nut and crush washer...for some reason, pulled apart some that didn't have them...light coat of RightStuff on threads, reassemble. The marks are for this part. I've run them down 1/2 a flat past where they were. Seems to put a little preload back into the sleeve, and maybe a little more on the threads and crush washer.
Probably not ASE certified, but seems to work 🤫

lbhsbz

Reaction score
I have a 93 YJ with a rear Dana 35 C that is leaking dif oil. The Yoke seal is probably original with 91k miles on it. It is NOT leaking around the yoke shaft. Dif oil is coming out around the yoke nut. I have ordered a GENUINE OEM SPICER DANA 35 REAR PINION NUT SEAL CRUSH SLEEVE JEEP XJ MJ ZJ YJ TJ. My question is does the crush washer seal the dif oil from coming out of the yoke? I have read that putting RTV on the splines of the yoke will stop the dif oil from wicking past the splines and through the Yoke nut.

I have wiped off the oil from the yoke in the pics but its definitely coming from the yoke nut. The dif oil is getting thrown from the yoke all over the undercarriage.

View attachment 945764 View attachment 945765 View attachment 945766

The diff will work fine without the crush sleeve if you had a damn good locknut...the crushsleeve is only there to make sure you have a shitload of "tight" on that nut so that it stays where you put it once you arrive at the correct pinion bearing preload. If there's no slop in the pinion, and it's dry around the outside...then it's coming through the splines. As @monkeyswrench said...clean it all up, mark the pinion shaft and the nut, take it apart and clean it up some more (don't lose your marks) RTV on the splines (I'd apply it to both the yoke and the pinion...very light but full coverage coat), then tighten it back down until your marks line up. I'd put some red loctite on the threads too. Then grab the yoke and see how loose the pinion is...if there doesn't feel like any preload...give it bit more. Keep in mind though, the more you tighten it, the more lash you're opening up...so just a bit.

Echo Lodge

Reaction score
Thank you guys. The video I posted the guy uses the 3 marks technique but doesn't mention the RTV on the splines. I will give it a shot.

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
Make sure you DO NOT replace the crush sleeve if you are going to use the 3 marks method.

Replacing the sleeve will require you to reset the pinion depth and preload on the bearing. That is what the crush sleeve is for.

It is a lengthy procedure to install a new crush sleeve properly, if you do not do it correctly you will eat up your pinion bearing.

Easy fix to the wicking up the splines as these other posters said, clean up the splines and yoke, a good layer of silicone and you are set.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Make sure you DO NOT replace the crush sleeve if you are going to use the 3 marks method.

Replacing the sleeve will require you to reset the pinion depth and preload on the bearing. That is what the crush sleeve is for.

It is a lengthy procedure to install a new crush sleeve properly, if you do not do it correctly you will eat up your pinion bearing.

Easy fix to the wicking up the splines as these other posters said, clean up the splines and yoke, a good layer of silicone and you are set.

This ^^^

I've done what monkey's said in the past too. I've never had an issue. Although...

I mark the nut and the pinion shaft, and reinstall *just barely* past the mark. It's definitely not the approved/correct way to do it, but should accomplish what you need to do, seal the splines with something.

NOTE: For any kind of silicone to work, the surfaces must be hospital clean of grease and dirt. (almost impossible in this situation) I'd use non hardening Permatex of some sort. It's more forgiving of contamination.

Echo Lodge

Reaction score
There was no crush washer when I took it apart today. Did my best to clean the surfaces. Installed RTV. Guess if I fail I will try again. Thanks for all the info!
20201125_120100.jpg
IMG-20201125-WA0007.jpeg

Echo Lodge

Reaction score
I do have this kit showing up in a few days. If it continues to leak I will replace the seal as I will be in there anyways. Can I use the new nut too if it's identical to the original? I will not use the crush washer as instructed!

Screenshot_20201125-113942_Firefox.jpg

lbhsbz

Reaction score
I do have this kit showing up in a few days. If it continues to leak I will replace the seal as I will be in there anyways. Can I use the new nut too if it's identical to the original? I will not use the crush washer as instructed!

View attachment 945968

It’s not a crush washer, it’s a crush sleeve. It goes between the bearings. Don’t concern yourself with it for this particular exercise. And since the seal isn’t leaking...I wouldn’t touch that either. Use the old nut, clean the threads and the mating surface and apply red loctite.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
It’s not a crush washer, it’s a crush sleeve. It goes between the bearings. Don’t concern yourself with it for this particular exercise. And since the seal isn’t leaking...I wouldn’t touch that either. Use the old nut, clean the threads and the mating surface and apply red loctite.

X2

Echo Lodge

Reaction score
Bringing my daughter home from the doctor this afternoon, I call my wife. She is at the grocery store picking up dinner. I ask what car did she took. She says the Jeep. I go ballistic as the differential only had what gear oil I had not pumped out. Even though I placed the keys with my tools so it would not be driven, she found them. No fault of hers. She drove about 2 miles so I don't think any damage happened. I met her at the store and put oil in the dif. She also shows me radiator fluid on the ground. Time for a new water pump.

FreeBird236

Reaction score
Bringing my daughter home from the doctor this afternoon, I call my wife. She is at the grocery store picking up dinner. I ask what car did she took. She says the Jeep. I go ballistic as the differential only had what gear oil I had not pumped out. Even though I placed the keys with my tools so it would not be driven, she found them. No fault of hers. She drove about 2 miles so I don't think any damage happened. I met her at the store and put oil in the dif. She also shows me radiator fluid on the ground. Time for a new water pump.
I love these when all the mechanics agree😄 sorry about the new problem.