WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Any masons around here?

SixD9R

Reaction score
So I was using a grout bag yesterday for my first time to point some veneer stone (lick and stick stuff). And wow sometimes the mud would flow out nicely and other times I would squeeze that f-ing bag as hard as I could and barely anything would come out. I only finished about 1/2 of what I have to do and my hands are sore as hell from squeezing that thing.

My question is, are there any secrets or tips anyone can share about using a grout bag especially to get a nice even flow of concrete out of it?

Backlash

Reaction score
Grandpa was a Mason and never used a grout bag when I was around. Looking back I sure wish I would have paid more attention to what he was doing and how he was doing it. :mad:

t&y

t&y
Reaction score
So I was using a grout bag yesterday for my first time to point some veneer stone (lick and stick stuff). And wow sometimes the mud would flow out nicely and other times I would squeeze that f-ing bag as hard as I could and barely anything would come out. I only finished about 1/2 of what I have to do and my hands are sore as hell from squeezing that thing.

My question is, are there any secrets or tips anyone can share about using a grout bag especially to get a nice even flow of concrete out of it?
Did the veneer on the front of the house. NOT a mason by trade, but here is what I learned from using a grout bag to fill in the gaps... MY FUCKING HANDS AND ARMS HURT FOR LIKE TWO WEEKS:D

Now that we are beyond that... lol... Just for clarification, you have the veneer up, you just need to fill in the grout lines right? If that is the case, it all came down to the mix for me. If I stopped and let it sit for a bit the grout would barely come out of the bag. I made it a point after learning the hard way to mix less, and grout fast. Just keep an eye on the timing so you can still work the grout lines.

Good luck dude.

Rajobigguy

Reaction score
A drop of dishwashing liquid like Dawn will keep the mix more plastic for a longer time.

scottchbrite

Reaction score
Im definitely not a mason and have much respect for those that are. It’s probably too dry and/or the hole too small in the bag. The way I did it was to 1. Look at YouTube :D 2. Gradually add water until i was able to squeeze it out of the bag without it running everywhere. It was more water than I initially thought.
I grouted my brick veneer bbq and it came out better than I imagined.

SixD9R

Reaction score
Hey guys that’s for the replies. I have the veneer up and just filling in between. The thing that’s weird about trying to work it out of the bag is it will sometimes not want to flow and then it will start flowing good for no explainable reason. All from the same batch of mud. I have the tip of the bag trimmed back pretty far so I have a good size hole at the tip like a good 1/2” diameter.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
This sucks, and a hell of a workout, but...
Load the bag pretty heavy/full with a looser mix, put the rolled end in the crook of your elbow. Basically, instead of squeezing the bag with your hands, curl your bicep, squeezing the bag between forearm and bicep, and controlling flow direction with hands. You'll be sore, but won't have the cramped up hands, and may be able to hold a pen or type next week.

Good luck, and wash down some advil to start;)

wzuber

Reaction score
some things that might help...
small batches..15-20#'s per batch
mixing dry material 1st. with trowel or shovel to insure no lumps, gravel etc. anything that may cause clogs then add water and mix thouroly.
loose mix (wetter) for better mud flow
re-temper (quick re-mix) to loosen mud prior to refilling bag. add very little water if necessary when re-tempering.
rinse bag after every 2/3 fillings and shake out excess water to prevent curing residual mortar from clogging @ tip.
angle cut tip and pinch to joint size with fingers. 1/2"x1" hole when pinched.
twist large end of bag to keep mud moving.
It's work but it should kill ur hands unless your not used to working with your regularly. I hope this helps.

SixD9R

Reaction score
What’s killing me is how 1 minute the grout is flowing nicely out of the bag and then the next it acts plugged or like the cement is dryer so it doesn’t flow as well. I am definitely going to try some of the tips from you guys. I do a ton of home improvement type projects all the time but I sit behind a computer at my day job which may explain why I’m sore from just this little bit of work. But I really think if I wasn’t experiencing these constant flow issues My hands wouldn’t be as sore as they are. I had other work to do today so no grouting but will get back on this by the weekend for sure.
Thanks again!

SixD9R

Reaction score
Yeah that’s a good point I didn’t let it sit

ridebig

Reaction score
Depending on how many square feet you have to grout you can purchase non/sanded or sanded grout in a caulking tube as well.

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
The latex admix they sell by the gallon really helps it slide. Make it in small batches. Let is slake for a few minutes, add another splash of admix and reblend. And twist the top of the frosting bag more than squeeze the bag itself. This forces the material out of the bag with less force and wear and tear on your hand. I'd coat the inside of the bag with the latex additive too.

Another way is to use a grout release on the faux brick. Then just apply the mortar like your grouting regular tile. scrape off the excess with a trowel or putty knife, then sponge off the remaining excess mortar quickly, the grout release will help the brick stay clean. Scoop up what falls off and blend it into the mix again.

Use the brick jointer tool to make your mortar look legit. A wispy wet paint brush works well to for final touches.

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
5731f18e5d261d5edd7f8dbe-large.jpg