WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Any metallurgists aboard this ship?

gottaminute?

Reaction score
I have a question or two about using abrasive resistant plate (ar400-ar500) in a "Bend box" to maintain the straightness of astm 500 square steel tubing while bending.

Surface to surface speed would be minimal.
There will be SOME side loading.
Dies will add a depression in the side of the tube to minimize bulging at the bend point.
I would love to not require supplemental lubrication.
thanks,
Pat

ltbaney1

Reaction score
not a metallurgist, but taken a few classes and deal with metal everyday. have you considered A2 or D2 instead of AR? your machinist will like you a whole lot better if you can use A2 or D2 over AR.

AzMandella

Reaction score
I'm not a metallurgist but have been in the steel business all my life . My family owns one of the largest Steel Supply Centers In Southern Az . AR plate is just that abraission Resistant . The higher the number 400 or 500 the harder it is . It is very brittle and cracks when stressed . Mainly used for chutes and such so as to not wear out like A36 would . It is not for structural use . Not quite sure what you are trying to do but what size and wall thickness A500-B tubing are you trying to bend and at what angle ? If you are making some kind of supports to hold the tube on either side of the bend I would make them out of A572-50 or maybe even an A514 .

nowski

Reaction score
Not a metallurgist but what ever you decide to use maintainability will defiantly be a key to overall cost of your project.

Your seeing more and more of the Battle Bot Teams using AR400 and AR500 steel in their amour and weapons, hard and brittle. "Robots Activate"...

BB2021.jpg

gottaminute?

Reaction score
Not a metallurgist but what ever you decide to use maintainability will defiantly be a key to overall cost of your project.

Your seeing more and more of the Battle Bot Teams using AR400 and AR500 steel in their amour and weapons, hard and brittle. "Robots Activate"...

View attachment 976721
bending 3 and 3.5 astm500 square tube. 6ft long. a VERY gentle (18") radius W shape. total bend depth equal to tube size. I need the side plates to instill a very small amount of "bow" over the length of the tube in direction 90* to the pressed in features.

skiracr

Catalina Ski Race, Boat # 222
Reaction score
Have no idea what you’re talking about but find it very interesting.

No shit. I haven't the slightest clue wtf is being said but it definitely has my attention. Pretty interesting to my simple minded self.

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
Taken some classes while getting my cwi. Very interesting, but way over my pay grade.