WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Any North Shore Oahu connections?

QC22

Landing Loser
Reaction score
Wife has a conference this coming Wednesday thru the Weekend. Staying on Waikiki for that stretch. Need somewhere else for Monday October 7th, two nights, out the 9th. We've never stayed North Shore, so probably going to do that, or something else Oahu away from Honolulu.

Turtle Bay is the top of her list, but I'm concerned its just another Hawaii Resort, I'd like something a little different.

Thoughts?

DWC

Reaction score
I’ve only hung out at Turtle Bay for the day. Did a little snorkeling in their cove. Pretty cool spot but don’t know much else.
One of my guys lives on North Shore. He says there’s a Marriott near the Polynesian center that’s a little cheaper and as always some VRBO’s. His neighbor rents a guest “gazebo” if you’re interested. He lives a little up the hill in Haleiwa.

QC22

Landing Loser
Reaction score
I’ve only hung out at Turtle Bay for the day. Did a little snorkeling in their cove. Pretty cool spot but don’t know much else.
I love to snorkel, so maybe this is the best bet. Would keep the wife happy... I'd try the gazebo thing, but probably not worth the risk (wife blowback) without seeing first.

DWC

Reaction score
I love to snorkel, so maybe this is the best bet. Would keep the wife happy... I'd try the gazebo thing, but probably not worth the risk (wife blowback) without seeing first.

Don’t blame you at all. If you’re flying for work the largest expenses are meals/drinks. Pop into Walmart when you get there to grab breakfast bars, drinks and alcohol. Save the money there instead of a room is my usual route.

QC22

Landing Loser
Reaction score
Agree^^^^^ Walmart is always part of my routine.

moneyfurnothin

Reaction score
Only resort on the North Shore is turtle bay. Nothing to do up there once the sun goes down. I'd just stay in Waikiki, Sheraton has good beach and a very nice adult edge pool. Only an hour to drive up to the north shore. If you stay up there be ready to go to bed early. No night life on the North Shore. Another option might be the Marriot over by the Disney resort. Very nice and off the beaten path. Only about 20 min. back into Waikiki for dinner and drinks at night. Good luck

throttle

c ya on da lake
Reaction score
Third trip this year coming up next month for us.

On da North Shore, we stay in a cottage at the Turtle Bay. Rooms in hotel are fine too, you could prolly get decent rate(s) for October. We just prefer to have the grassy area and the beach in front of us. The resort has been under new ownership for the last year or so, the staff are still local, friendly and we enjoy seeing them like ohana upon each visit.

Very rare, but sometime we stay in town for a nite at Royal Hawaiian or the Sheraton.

Have fun trip, the weather should be nice and I’m crossing fingers for early swell [emoji1690]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Singleton

Reaction score
Only resort on the North Shore is turtle bay. Nothing to do up there once the sun goes down. I'd just stay in Waikiki, Sheraton has good beach and a very nice adult edge pool. Only an hour to drive up to the north shore. If you stay up there be ready to go to bed early. No night life on the North Shore. Another option might be the Marriot over by the Disney resort. Very nice and off the beaten path. Only about 20 min. back into Waikiki for dinner and drinks at night. Good luck

Sheraton is under major construction, avoid at all costs!!

Reactions: DWC

Kailuaboy89

Aloha Airliner
Reaction score
go Walmart..buy one tent and stay on da beach brah… bes place fo see da surf and da wahines! ill be in da surf.. im home from oct 5 to oct 21 getting married :D good luck and enjoy your stay!

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
You guys are right turtle bay is about the only resort. If you want to hang with the Mormon there is a small hotel that is a couple of years old. Nothing really other than being that side of the island.

There is also air BNB for the small town home rentals in haleiwa that our friends had a blast in the past. Keep in mind that I have been told that because of zoning issues the availability could be limited these days.

If you do get over to the north shore you got to snorkel at sharks cove, jump off the rock at Waimea Bay. Mokuleia has a nice beach area this if there is not any big surf. Chinamens hat, crouching lion are cool land marks. Kualoa Ranch has a few fun things to do for a day trip. I personally would not do Polynesian cultural center but some people enjoy it. If you go and don’t like don’t blame me. LOL.

Any other questions just let me know.

QC22

Landing Loser
Reaction score
On da lake all deh...

Thanks for the replies. Will prolly do Turtle Bay.

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
On da lake all deh...

Thanks for the replies. Will prolly do Turtle Bay.

Also if you are going to have some shaved Ice don’t do Matsumoto Shaved Ice. Go to Shima’s on School street it is 10 times better and it is the real deal. It is located in Honolulu on School Street I believe that they are closed on Mondays.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
go Walmart..buy one tent and stay on da beach brah… bes place fo see da surf and da wahines! ill be in da surf.. im home from oct 5 to oct 21 getting married :D good luck and enjoy your stay!
My nephew lived in an actual addressed treehouse on Maui.

Deja_Vu

Essex Affectionado
Reaction score
North Shore is awesome. We enjoyed walking around Kualoa ranch and had lunch there.

ABE3AC2D-A27D-44A0-A576-EB413ECBC602.jpeg
BE3BECE9-CA40-47DA-B54F-98F93E5BC0E3.jpeg

50E03168-7E55-437D-9911-973A6B574AA0.jpeg

DrunkenSailor

Reaction score
agree on A night or two at the royal hawaiian is a really cool thing to do. Place oozes history. If you do make it down there duck into the newt shop. I walked in and old cat looked at my head walked over to the wall and threw a 500 dollar handmade panama hat on my head. Thing fit perfectly was crazy light and breathed like no other hat i have ever worn. I wasnt sure if i could pull off the look but i still think about how comfortable that hat was.

North shore is way quieter. Loved going into all the surf shops up there. Pipeline was scary cool expsoed reef during low tide. My recommendation is to hit the triple crown beaches while you're up there sunset pipe and waimea bay.

Turtle bay was very nice. If its just you and the wife i would do the resort. The beach cottages are nice but so are the standard rooms. Have a great trip.

havasujeeper

Reaction score
Turtle Bay is our "go-to" location on the North Shore. Having relatives all around the area makes this a great meeting spot, and the Mai Tai's are awesome. Just be careful, they are really expensive so make sure you take your AMEX Black Card with you!
097.jpg
067.jpg
View attachment 802214
Hawaii 2010 030.JPG
Hawaii 2010 026.JPG
Hawaii 2010 132.JPG
Hawaii 2010 093.JPG
Hawaii 2010 041.JPG

QC22

Landing Loser
Reaction score
Super cool posts. Thanks again.

throttle

c ya on da lake
Reaction score
Did you get a spot at Turtle Bay for the 2 nights you were looking for?

throttle

c ya on da lake
Reaction score
IMG_0393.JPG

Rainbow Bridge, Haleiwa. Worth stopping by. [emoji3]

Tropical Rush surf shop right next to bridge rents paddle boards, you can go up river and back feeling good [emoji1690] watch for turtles, they go up river sometimes.

Heylam

Reaction score
Old school Rhino Chaser style gun right there. Can’t imagine surfing those.

throttle

c ya on da lake
Reaction score
Old school Rhino Chaser style gun right there. Can’t imagine surfing those.

Dick Brewer shaped dat for me, when I got to island to pick it up, surf was pushing over 20 feet. Too big for me, (I do know my limits) so it came home and has been a wall hanger.

lavey jr

Reaction score
I live on Oahu in Kailua. If you’re ever in the Kaneohe or Kailua area, I can take you on the base to get cheaper groceries. Or near the Pearl Harbor NEX.

As far as North Shore, here’s my wife and I doing night paddle boarding at Haleiwa. It was a great time! Saw lots of turtles and fish at night. Completely different and cool scene at night! Highly recommended!

D1456357-F976-419B-8CB6-2CBB29E78EBB.jpeg
B44F1A6C-464B-4BA8-867F-3A4318628167.jpeg
621CBE66-68AB-4CD7-B5D7-65BAA4303092.jpeg
5ADB994F-C471-4DF7-8D20-B42027890C47.jpeg

Last edited:

Singleton

Reaction score
Looking forward to heading back to Oahu for 10 days in November.
My Marriott points are finally being put to good use.
Get to see the kid attending a UofH and have some family time.

Heylam

Reaction score
Dick Brewer shaped dat for me, when I got to island to pick it up, surf was pushing over 20 feet. Too big for me, (I do know my limits) so it came home and has been a wall hanger.

I used to work with Brewer back in the day. Still visit with him each year when I go to Kauai.