WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Any other ocean guys boat San Diego?

Magic34

Reaction score
We boat exclusively out of SD Bay now. Did a trip to Mission Bay for a night in February, didn't like it as much as our regular hang out off Coronado and coming into the channel at Mission Bay was an experience at night with 8-9' seas to say the least. Sun went down faster than I thought it would during that time of year.

We're there every major holiday and when it's hot in AZ and I'm not in India, we're likely in SD for a long weekend, sometimes make the drive 3 weekends in a row. We keep the boat at a marina in National City.

Anyone else down there on the water?

Reactions: TPC

Singleton

Reaction score
No, but willing to be a deckhand anytime :) Reminds me I owe you a phone call. Q4 sales deadline is killing me.

DaBank

Reaction score
We are at Cabrillo Isle Marina behind the Sheraton.

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
We boat exclusively out of SD Bay now. Did a trip to Mission Bay for a night in February, didn't like it as much as our regular hang out off Coronado and coming into the channel at Mission Bay was an experience at night with 8-9' seas to say the least. Sun went down faster than I thought it would during that time of year.

We're there every major holiday and when it's hot in AZ and I'm not in India, we're likely in SD for a long weekend, sometimes make the drive 3 weekends in a row. We keep the boat at a marina in National City.

Anyone else down there on the water?

Sorry to say I'm never boating down in SD but only Catalina offshore and inner harbor in Newport Beach. I just bought a 2006 29' Magic/ Wizard with 496HO and am trying to learn how many gallons of fuel she takes.... any idea? Been out 5 times and can't seem to move the needle? Thanks for feedback my friend. Bill

Magic34

Reaction score
Sorry to say I'm never boating down in SD but only Catalina offshore and inner harbor in Newport Beach. I just bought a 2006 29' Magic/ Wizard with 496HO and am trying to learn how many gallons of fuel she takes.... any idea? Been out 5 times and can't seem to move the needle? Thanks for feedback my friend. Bill

I thought my 01 Wizard had 85 gallons if I remember correctly. I'm still in contact with the former owners of Sleek/Magic, I'll ask next time I talk to them.

ChiliPepperGarage

Well Known RDP Cart Returner
Reaction score
I usually run out of Dana but plan on doing a few San Diego trips this summer (provided my broken wrist heals up quicker than the 6 months that the doctor says!).

i checked out the Shelter Island ramp but looks like they don't have docks there requiring two people (one to drive boat, one to drive truck). Any other ramps there?

ductape1000

Here.
Reaction score
I usually run out of Dana but plan on doing a few San Diego trips this summer (provided my broken wrist heals up quicker than the 6 months that the doctor says!).

i checked out the Shelter Island ramp but looks like they don't have docks there requiring two people (one to drive boat, one to drive truck). Any other ramps there?
I single hand most of the time. We did shelter island a couple of years back. There was dock space then.

??

ductape1000

Here.
Reaction score
uploadfromtaptalk1463099970375.jpg

Magic34

Reaction score

My marina is a little south, but there is a decent ramp right next door that I used to launch my Formula 370ss from all the time. It's called Pepper Park, and the traffic is light. You could literally back the boat down on a side and launch it with ropes if you wanted as there is a dock on both sides. Parking always cracks me up at these ocean ramps. They literally park where we would all consider "ready lanes" 50' from the top of the ramp. We always parked the trailer back in my storage spot at the marina. It's a couple miles south of the bridge right next to where all the cars come in on the cargo ships. No wake zone is only like 100 yards.

If anyone wants to keep their boat down at my marina, short or long term, it's a great set up. They have dry storage (outdoor), it's one of the newest marinas in town. As a dry storage tenant, you get all the services of the marina and they'll give you a slip for a couple days at no additional charge. It's the best kept secret for storage in San Diego. Launch ramp is 1 left turn away, basically right next door. Overall, less than 1/4 mile of wheels rolling from the parking lot of the marina to the water. I kept my Formula 370ss there for 2 years, under a full boat cover. The marina staff pumps the water off the cover after a storm.

ChiliPepperGarage

Reaction score
I just looked up Pepper Park, looks like a great spot! :thumbsup

Has two docks so i can pull the boat off by hand and tie up. Plenty of room to launch and park. Will definitely check it out.

The only thing i didn't see is a wash down area. Do you know if they have one?

ChiliPepperGarage

Reaction score
We'll make a run down there.....We need to plan it!

Let's do this, Tom. Need to pick a date.

I can drive one handed if I stay inside the bay. Twin stick docking might be a little tough though.

Will need help with launch, tie up, wash down & flush, etc though. Hope to find help in exchange for boat rides. :thumbsup

Attachments

• IMG_0292.jpg
    IMG_0292.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 33

Magic34

Reaction score
I just looked up Pepper Park, looks like a great spot! :thumbsup

Has two docks so i can pull the boat off by hand and tie up. Plenty of room to launch and park. Will definitely check it out.

The only thing i didn't see is a wash down area. Do you know if they have one?

No wash down area at the ramp. I've launched at a few of the ramps in the bay and I haven't seen one yet. Just let me know when you go, I'll talk to my marina, that's where I always did it after back on the trailer. If you needed a slip, our marina is the way to go and you can leave the trailer in the lot. The Best Western Plus is 1/4 mile down the road and the rooms are nice and clean, newer hotel. I think our marina rate is around $110/night.

I've tried the boat on the trailer thing a lot down there and found the perfect setup with this marina, storage, slips and launching.

steamin rice

No Bad Days....
Reaction score
I will be in San Diego for July 4th, staying on Shelter Island. I don't know if I'll bring tne boat out or not.

Magic34

Reaction score
I will be in San Diego for July 4th, staying on Shelter Island. I don't know if I'll bring tne boat out or not.

Bring it! We'll be out there from the 1st to 5th or 6th, maybe a little longer. I have to go back to India for 2 weeks right after that so I'm missing a couple good boating weekends. 4th of July will be an extended weekend trip.

steamin rice

No Bad Days....
Reaction score
Bring it! We'll be out there from the 1st to 5th or 6th, maybe a little longer. I have to go back to India for 2 weeks right after that so I'm missing a couple good boating weekends. 4th of July will be an extended weekend trip.

I'm on the fence - It's great to have the boat out there, but I will be on a boat either way. Ultimately, it will depend on how long we are going to be there. If it's just a long weekend, then it's not worth the hassle to tow the boat out and back for 1-2 days of boating. If I'm there for 5 days or more, then it's probably worth it.

Magic34

Reaction score
I'm on the fence - It's great to have the boat out there, but I will be on a boat either way. Ultimately, it will depend on how long we are going to be there. If it's just a long weekend, then it's not worth the hassle to tow the boat out and back for 1-2 days of boating. If I'm there for 5 days or more, then it's probably worth it.

Totally agree. Do you have a full cover for it? If so, leave it for a month or 2. Even for 5 days, towing in CA is no fun.

Hot for Teacher

Reaction score
Definitely Al !!! I'll give you a call and we can figure out some dates.... What are you doing Memorial Day weekend? We'll be in Dana Pt as usual..

Greg, If you're coming out over the 4th of July, Bring the boat! Shannon and I will be out of town (vacation), but you'll need it over the Catalina Ski Race weekend!
So after the 4th, you just leave it a couple weeks and you'll be back.

ChiliPepperGarage

Reaction score
Definitely Al !!! I'll give you a call and we can figure out some dates.... What are you doing Memorial Day weekend? We'll be in Dana Pt as usual..

Greg, If you're coming out over the 4th of July, Bring the boat! Shannon and I will be out of town (vacation), but you'll need it over the Catalina Ski Race weekend!

I'm thinking late July or August. Hoping my wrist heals up enough by then to drive the boat.

No chance for getting the boat in the water for Memorial Day. Don't think I can even be a rider as I won't be able to hang on with both hands. Might just cruise down for some dock partying though! Whats the agenda or are you just playing by it ear? Maybe meet up with you all in Newport or Oceanside for lunch?

Thunderhead1

Reaction score
Were in Glorita Bay often as well.... if you see us...throw a wave!!

2015081495151953_resized_4.jpg 20150823_165513_resized_5.jpg

Magic34

Reaction score
Were in Glorita Bay often as well.... if you see us...throw a wave!!

Right on, we'll likely be anchored Saturday and Sunday this weekend. 44 DA Sea Ray, named Bella, blue hull. We fly an AZ Cardinals flag off the bow and stern.

My name is Michael

steamin rice

No Bad Days....
Reaction score

Hey Tom,

Since you guys will be out of town, just leave the keys in the cig and I'll run it around in the bay over the 4th. :)

Most likely I'm just going to leave my boat in AZ over the fourth. I'll be a deckhand on a cruiser and make sure the coolers are stock3d with ice.

I don't know if I'll come out for the ski race or not, but I'd to get to Long Beach for the poker run.

Thunderhead1

Reaction score
Right on, we'll likely be anchored Saturday and Sunday this weekend. 44 DA Sea Ray, named Bella, blue hull. We fly an AZ Cardinals flag off the bow and stern.

My name is Michael

Easy enough...Im a Michael as well...

will see you out here next time.... were headed to the lake today... gotta check on the house...somebody left the fridge full of beer out there....I heard the weather was just right for drinkin....

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
We used to. Typically launched up by Humphrey's and head south to patrol the bay. We would check out the fancy homes on the Cays and eat lunch poolside at the Loews Coronado resort, they didn't mind if you chilled out by the pool if you ate a couple $13.00 burgers and drank their cocktails.

We ate sometimes at Peohe's if the water wasn't too rough. Boats tend to slam around their docks a bit.

Joe's Crab shack has 3 dock spaces for diners. We tied up there regularly. It is behind the Embarcardero Marina.

Sometime you can get a dock space at the Bluewater Boathouse. Last time we went with friends and their captain just dropped us off at the dock. Pricey food but good Bloody Mary drinks!

We would also launch in Mission Bay and run around the point. Fish the kelp beds, surf the swell on the way in past the sub base. Good times!

It's a great way to beat that Arizona heat!

Magic34

Reaction score
We used to. Typically launched up by Humphrey's and head south to patrol the bay. We would check out the fancy homes on the Cays and eat lunch poolside at the Loews Coronado resort, they didn't mind if you chilled out by the pool if you ate a couple $13.00 burgers and drank their cocktails.

We ate sometimes at Peohe's if the water wasn't too rough. Boats tend to slam around their docks a bit.
Joe's Crab shack has 3 dock spaces for diners. We tied up there regularly. It is behind the Embarcardero Marina.
Sometime you can get a dock space at the Bluewater Boathouse. Last time we went with friends and their captain just dropped us off at the dock. Pricey food but good Bloody Mary drinks!
We would also launch in Mission Bay and run around the point. Fish the kelp beds, surf the swell on the way in past the sub base. Good times!

It's a great way to beat that Arizona heat!

Yes, Arizona heat sucks!!! 40-45 degrees cooler in SD, we love it! We always drive over, the drive isn't bad on the 8. If it was the 10, I'd probably never do it.

We cruise through the cays a bit in the dinghy, it's just across the bay from our marina. Have some friends in there also with houses. Our spots on the water is Jimmy's Famous, we get slips at the marina in front, our marina group owns it so that makes it stress free for docking. We'll do Bali Hai a couple times a year also. Never tried Peohe's, the dock looks like a train wreck waiting to happen. We'll also anchor in Glorietta and take the dinghy to the docks, walking into downtown Coronado. I'm on the waiting list for Glorietta Bay marina, feels more vacation like on Coronado than my current spot.

Did Joe's once with the Formula, was edge to edge in the middle, very tight.

We spent a night in Mission Bay in February... didn't do anything for us. Driving in there for my first time at night in 8-9' seas was an experience too!