WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Any outboard guys

No Butt No Putt

Reaction score
Using Bluewater Trim and or Jack plate indicators.

Im having a hard time getting the cable to mount to my trim ram. It worked perfect on my 2.5L but won't fit the ram on my 3L.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
what's the problem? different diameter?

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score
Just call StainlessMarine.com and tell them what you have. The indicators are motor specific. They are very helpful on the phone. You will probably need a new bracket.

Outdrive1

Reaction score
Their website isn't opening for me. But google them and get their number. I just talked to them a couple weeks ago.

SKIA36

Reaction score
Go to their web site and contact customer service, I have 2 0f their products on my 2 Stokers, they are the bomb!

Outdrive1

Reaction score
They should be standard 33c cables with 10/32 threads.

No Butt No Putt

Reaction score
Image1482273418.564831.jpg This is the cable that goes on the trim ram.

Outdrive1

Reaction score
That's a sleeve over a cable.

Outdrive1

Reaction score
A new cable is like 50 bucks.

Stainless

Banned
Reaction score
I've got all this stuff brand new I never installed in my boat parts cabinet. I can get it out tomorrow if you haven't figured it out. My recollection is what you posted is for a 2.5 on the trim cylinder and the 3.0 is a lever that mounts on the clamp, but I'm not sure without looking, it's been awhile, lol.

Outdrive1

Reaction score
I'll take the 2.5 stuff if someone wants to off it.

No Butt No Putt

Reaction score
I've got all this stuff brand new I never installed in my boat parts cabinet. I can get it out tomorrow if you haven't figured it out. My recollection is what you posted is for a 2.5 on the trim cylinder and the 3.0 is a lever that mounts on the clamp, but I'm not sure without looking, it's been awhile, lol.

The guy at Bluewater said if I switch to lever it will make the indicator work backwards.

I'm going to grind the old clamp off and get a smaller stainless hose clamp and try that first.

Stainless

Banned
Reaction score
The guy at Bluewater said if I switch to lever it will make the indicator work backwards.

I'm going to grind the old clamp off and get a smaller stainless hose clamp and try that first.

I don't know if this will shed ideas on what you're doing. I purchased 2 brackets and the readout for twins but never got around to installing because mine has Smartcraft which is not very smart when it comes to remembering calibration, lol. This says for 2.4 or 2.5 but I seem to remember Livorsi saying it fits 3.0's also.
IMG_1026.jpg
IMG_1027.jpg
IMG_1028.jpg

No Butt No Putt

Reaction score
I don't know if this will shed ideas on what you're doing. I purchased 2 brackets and the readout for twins but never got around to installing because mine has Smartcraft which is not very smart when it comes to remembering calibration, lol. This says for 2.4 or 2.5 but I seem to remember Livorsi saying it fits 3.0's also.
View attachment 528093
View attachment 528094
View attachment 528095

I'll try to modify mine first. I might just shit can the hole thing and fill the hole on the dash too.

RCDave

Reaction score
If its any help, I have the same trim indicator set up on my 2015 300xs. The only difference is the bracket that is attached to the outboard.

pwerwagn

Inmate #4800
Reaction score
On my 300's with the blue water indicator, there's a bracket that mounts on the side. No sleeve like you pictured. Looks a little more like stainless's...but not exactly.

Mine actually don't work on either motor, and I can't figure out how they ever did.

No Butt No Putt

Reaction score
On my 300's with the blue water indicator, there's a bracket that mounts on the side. No sleeve like you pictured. Looks a little more like stainless's...but not exactly.

Mine actually don't work on either motor, and I can't figure out how they ever did.

Can you post a pic of your setup?

pwerwagn

Inmate #4800
Reaction score
I'll try to find a pic. If not, I will take a bunch next time I'm at storage.

pwerwagn

Inmate #4800
Reaction score
Crappy pics, but the best i could zoom into.

Basically, its a tube that fastens up top and moves with the motors when you trim them. The lower is a bracket that fixes the cable jacket to the jackplate basically. The cable end *should* be fixed in that upper sleeve somehow, but on mine it is not. I can trim the motors up, put it all back together and it will push the cables down when I trim down but nothing is present to allow the tube to pull the cable back up when trimming up. I am going to drill/tap a hole in the sleeve to allow me to pinch the cable inside the tube, and also allow for adjustment.

I can get better pictures if it looks like these are what you need pics/part numbers off of?
--Jeff

indicator1.jpg
indicator3.JPG
indicator2.JPG

No Butt No Putt

Reaction score
Crappy pics, but the best i could zoom into.

Basically, its a tube that fastens up top and moves with the motors when you trim them. The lower is a bracket that fixes the cable jacket to the jackplate basically. The cable end *should* be fixed in that upper sleeve somehow, but on mine it is not. I can trim the motors up, put it all back together and it will push the cables down when I trim down but nothing is present to allow the tube to pull the cable back up when trimming up. I am going to drill/tap a hole in the sleeve to allow me to pinch the cable inside the tube, and also allow for adjustment.

I can get better pictures if it looks like these are what you need pics/part numbers off of?
--Jeff

View attachment 528146
View attachment 528147
View attachment 528148

That's how your trim or jackplate indicator is? Because that looks like my jackplate setup.

Boatmaster

Reaction score
I have installed many of both set ups. Get the Stainless Marine set up, it is much nicer than the old school Blue Water.

pwerwagn

Inmate #4800
Reaction score
Oddly enough on mine, in the hot boat magazine articles, I can tell at least at one time mine were intended to work (there's red marks on the trim display, meaning don't trim past those or the cowls hit).

But in all the old pictures I have of the boat, the cables are just zip tied to something out of the way and not hooked up. Kinda weird.

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
Oddly enough on mine, in the hot boat magazine articles, I can tell at least at one time mine were intended to work (there's red marks on the trim display, meaning don't trim past those or the cowls hit).

But in all the old pictures I have of the boat, the cables are just zip tied to something out of the way and not hooked up. Kinda weird.

Same weirdness on mine, the trim gauges are wired in but the motors never had the sending units installed.

Outdrive1

Reaction score
Same weirdness on mine, the trim gauges are wired in but the motors never had the sending units installed.

My 2.5 ros doesn't have a trim gauge and unless you fab something there's no way to add it. Kinda bs is you ask me. For the money they could have put a trim sending unit on the thing.

No Butt No Putt

Reaction score
My 2.5 ros doesn't have a trim gauge and unless you fab something there's no way to add it. Kinda bs is you ask me. For the money they could have put a trim sending unit on the thing.

Let's design the stuff.

Outdrive1

Reaction score
Let's design the stuff.

No shit. I'd like to just have a standard mercury sending unit. Life would be so much easier. No one makes a kit to do that but I think it's possible to fab something that would work.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
My 2.4 trim sending units are on the ends of the upper mount for the trim ram. The horizontal bar for the trim mount stays in a fixed position relative to the ram and the outside rotate around it. I believe one is supposed to be the sending unit and one is supposed to be a limit switch. I don't have a trim gauge so neither are wired up, if they even work, but that's how mine were explained to me if you have any sort of option like that on yours.

GregG

Reaction score
Amazing that it's 2016 and you can't buy a simple, well constructed gauge and kit for showing the trim angle on ANY outboard. There have been different attempts over the years but most of them came a went. Looks like a nice opportunity for one of you guys to build something. I'm sure the folks in Qz or Europe have something for the 15" motors. Those guys are always building cool stuff.

28skater

Reaction score
The mechanical Stainless Marine trim actuators for both 2.5 and 300x are easy at adjust and work just fine I can never get the electric sending units on my 300x motors in sinc.

hallet f2 014.jpg

Skater 003.jpg

GregG

Reaction score
A few years later and TTT. Anyone come up with more/better ideas for indicators?