WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Any roofers on the board? I had some questions.

Motor Boater

Reaction score
Just had my roof redone with 2 layers of underlayment and you can see under the tiles the underlayment is not lay flat in several spots. I’m concerned in a hard windy rain that water will go right underneath the paper. Also, originally the roofer mentioned a flashing that goes underneath these tiles so birds and rodents can’t get in there. It’s being done on all new roofs. They did not install that. Thoughts?

DBA2A13D-076F-4FD5-B042-C5F3B0599681.jpeg

2Driver

Reaction score
Thats not right at all IMO . I just had my roof done to the tune of 35k and you have to be on top of the best guys.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
The curling paper happens with heat cycles, as the underlayment kind of "dries". The paper is really the waterproofing, as tile is only something like 80% waterproof. The tile protects the underlayment from the UV light...which accelerates the degradation of the paper. In short, you should never really see the paper. The bird stop metal does keep the birds out, but also protects the bottom edge of the underlayment. Some guys will tell you it just builds up dirt and leaves, so they leave it off. Not how or what I was taught. If they come back to do it...make sure they do all of it. Some shady roofers will only do front entry, what you see up front...and call it good.

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
Wrinkles in the paper isn't awesome, but it happens. Birdstop is wise. I like to use rolled and granulated at the bottom edge over the paper, and under the tiles. It lasts way longer than plain paper.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Wrinkles in the paper isn't awesome, but it happens. Birdstop is wise. I like to use rolled and granulated at the bottom edge over the paper, and under the tiles. It lasts way longer than plain paper.
Can always go serious old school...hotmop the deck :eek:

rmarion

Stop The Steal
Reaction score
Those wrinkles (buckles) in the paper are minimum and not a need of concern. They most likely occurred when the installer rolled out the paper, tacked the felt underlayment in place. Then noticed his felt paper layout was out of aligned a little, readjusted, then presto... minor buckle. I also have $10 saying this occurred with 10' of the hip.
MW, is correct about the birdstop. I'm surprised this birdstop was omitted. (this cost is minimum) also makes the concrete roof tile installation a little easier.

I do like seeing two layers of felt paper underlayment (from the pic's looks like #30 felt).

Enjoy your new roof..... don't sweat it.....

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
I'm surprised you know about tile roofs, I had you figured as a tar and gravel roof kinda guy.

:p 😁 🤪
Rock roofs suck! Primarily my commercial work was in torch, PVC and cold app stuff. Grew up in a house where Pops upgraded to a pumper kettle when I was 7 or so. He wanted me to have nothing to do with roofing. I remember the days he'd come home racked up...had his hand mopped once, fell off a roof at least once...had a spud bar fall down a structural ladder once, split his arm from bicep to wrist.

Being in Cali, the whole "green" building thing was anti hot mop. Worked out to my benefit and (somewhat) safety ;) When times got lean, I'd diversify. If there was work, I had some good friends that would "share the wealth". Residential or commercial, we all had our preferences, but mostly we all just wanted to eat.

Motor Boater

Reaction score
Those wrinkles (buckles) in the paper are minimum and not a need of concern. They most likely occurred when the installer rolled out the paper, tacked the felt underlayment in place. Then noticed his felt paper layout was out of aligned a little, readjusted, then presto... minor buckle. I also have $10 saying this occurred with 10' of the hip.
MW, is correct about the birdstop. I'm surprised this birdstop was omitted. (this cost is minimum) also makes the concrete roof tile installation a little easier.

I do like seeing two layers of felt paper underlayment (from the pic's looks like #30 felt).

Enjoy your new roof..... don't sweat it.....

This is the underlayment they used.
9567A2A6-B603-46B9-B81C-7B63804FBCA5.jpeg

rrrr

Reaction score
Rock roofs suck! Primarily my commercial work was in torch, PVC and cold app stuff. Grew up in a house where Pops upgraded to a pumper kettle when I was 7 or so. He wanted me to have nothing to do with roofing. I remember the days he'd come home racked up...had his hand mopped once, fell off a roof at least once...had a spud bar fall down a structural ladder once, split his arm from bicep to wrist.

Being in Cali, the whole "green" building thing was anti hot mop. Worked out to my benefit and (somewhat) safety ;) When times got lean, I'd diversify. If there was work, I had some good friends that would "share the wealth". Residential or commercial, we all had our preferences, but mostly we all just wanted to eat.

Your answer pretty much gutted my wisecrack. :p

locogringo

Yo Mama
Reaction score
Have them come back and install birdstop all the way around the eaves. Should’ve been done IMO.

rmarion

Stop The Steal
Reaction score
PS, I would not recommend to install the prefabricated metal birdstop at this time.

99.99 % sure, the applied roof tiles will not align properly with the metal birdstops material. (yes, it should have been installed. 45 years of Roofing, I've personally never installed a roof without)

If you are gonna battle for a birdstop installation. Use cement mortar. That way the installed roof tiles will not be compromised.

Enjoy

its easy to be a monday morning quarterback...

Turnup

Reaction score
☝️ cement mix, you can do it yourself with a 12'r and hit the whole edge..wife won't bother you for 12 hours.

LHC Kirby

LifeTime Member
Reaction score
☝ cement mix, you can do it yourself with a 12'r and hit the whole edge..wife won't bother you for 12 hours.

If he paid for it, he should get it. I like doing stuff myself..... and that sounds like a good fix..... but $$ would need to come back.... bottom line, "the Contract"

Backlash

Reaction score
I just cant understand how someone CANT roll paper out straight. It isn't rocket science! Now if the sheathing is so uneven that the paper doesn't roll out straight then lay flat, there might be other issues to address. My Grandpa would have NEVER let that slide on his jobsites. Sorry you paid for a job where someone cut corners at your expense.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
I just cant understand how someone CANT roll paper out straight. It isn't rocket science! Now if the sheathing is so uneven that the paper doesn't roll out straight then lay flat, there might be other issues to address. My Grandpa would have NEVER let that slide on his jobsites. Sorry you paid for a job where someone cut corners at your expense.
The paper will not lay perfectly flat a large percentage of the time. A roll of paper is 30+ feet. Kick that roll out atop a 3/12 pitch, that could have been framed recently, or 70 years ago. The deck sags between rafters, the fascia is never square...especially over a 30ft run. There are a lot of factors at play other than "rolling it out straight".

Backlash

Reaction score
Oh believe me I know. The truss company doesn't seem to care if they're off by a 1/2" which translates into an inch or more up top. Too many people just DGAF and could care less about doing the job correctly the first time. A carefree framer makes life miserable for those working on the same job after him. Ask any rockman or mud slinger.

A few years ago, I reroofed an 80 year old garage. I figured "This shouldn't take long." I tore off 9, yes NINE layers of asphalt shingles. 😲 Pulled all of the sagging decking and made things right with the trusses. Many would have simply thrown down some paper and shingles and called it a profitable weekend. Nope. I did it right and the hard work made the end result worth it. No wrinkles in the paper either. 😉

Do shit right the first time and it will prevent other problems later on down the road for others, and yourself.