WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Any Subaru enthusiasts up in here?

welldigger00

Reaction score
I’m thinking about gettin a Subaru WRX. I live in arrowhead, and we get snow. I’m going to be commuting off the hill to work, so I want reasonable mileage, better that my dually gets anyway, but that is four wheel drive. I’d like a more sportier car, than let’s say the Subaru Forester, or outback, because A: I’m not a lesbian, and B: I’m not a high school teacher, and that’s all I’ve seen drive those ones. Who’s got experience with this? They seem to have a big cult following, and look fun.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

welldigger00

Reaction score
Lol! I learned how to drive sideways and backwards at speed in my buddies moms wagon at Santa’s village parking lot as a kid.

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
I have an Outback and they are great in the snow. Mine only gets mid 20's average.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
As a SAAB dealer we sold a crossbreed of the small Impreza wagon we badged 9-2x.
Screenshot_20200103-093845_Chrome.jpg
Turbo 2 liter version was fun as fuk to drive and handled like a slot car.
I was a fan. It made it easy to choose subie powerplant for my manx knowing the capabilities.
The one downside from my understanding is interior noise, Saab beefed up sound insulation on their version.

RCDave

Reaction score
I have a 13 outback with 100k miles.

Great reliable multipurpose car. Good mpg. Solid. Awesome in the snow. Nothing beyond scheduled maintenance.

My only reservation with the new ones is the cvt trans. I have a 6sp manual.

sintax

Reaction score
I bought a 19 WRX last Nov. I've put about 30k miles on it since. Its my daily beater and I really like the car. Its hard to find a decent manual transmission car these days without getting into ridiculous territory. Here is my observations...

Pros:
fun to drive
manual thats decent with some basic mods
overall good feeling car, impossible to upset it even in the rain.
can see low to mid 30's on the highway
like any turbo car, the boost is addicting
looks (obviously personal tastes)
seems simple enough to work on (coming from a newer BMW)

Cons:
shitty tuning from the factory (thottle by wire rev hang nonsense, dead spot after 4.5 k rpm?) I have sense tuned it and its head and shoulders better
rattles some, build quality must be lacking. I chase the rattles and try to fix them, but It seems new ones pop up.
infotainment system is lacking compared to the bmw (no surprise here)

All in all, I really like it, and i'll likely buy another WRX when this ones lived its life.

Taboma

Reaction score
According to my Bro in law who wrenches on Subarus for a living --- the WRX's are always providing him with a steady income :D
However, in all fairness, it seems much of the blame falls on Ole Daddy Warbucks buying their little "Shit for Brains" pride and joys a WRX and checking the oil is apparently not in these kid's job description.
I could see where having one up on the hill would be fun, winter or summer :D

welldigger00

Reaction score
Has anyone ran them in decent snow? Like a foot?

cofooter

Reaction score
My Outback I had was the greatest snow vehicle ever......... and good all around car.......don't know about WRX

buck35

Reaction score
My neighbors wife has one and he bought a Forester or something to drop in the suspension to raise it up as his wife is an avid skier.

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
Whatever you do don’t just drive the speed limit in the fast lane like most windowlicking Subaru drivers here in Hawaii and Vail CO. Be careful if your girl drives it too much she might stop shaving her hoo-has. :looking:

Starloans

Reaction score
I’m thinking about gettin a Subaru WRX. I live in arrowhead, and we get snow. I’m going to be commuting off the hill to work, so I want reasonable mileage, better that my dually gets anyway, but that is four wheel drive. I’d like a more sportier car, than let’s say the Subaru Forester, or outback, because A: I’m not a lesbian, and B: I’m not a high school teacher, and that’s all I’ve seen drive those ones. Who’s got experience with this? They seem to have a big cult following, and look fun.

WAIT!!! WTF??? MY GFs NOT A LESBIAN!!! One time I did try to get her to do a 3 wa....never mind.
Don't get the crosstek or outback or you have to surrender your man card OR you need a MANBUN...Wait...do you have a Manbun???
When you buy a Subaru, you're automatically registered as a LIBBY, you get a Peace sign to hang on the rear view, a Feel The BERN sticker and a free Tye Dye tee shirt.
GF has a Forester. Loves it. Serious. When she pisses me off I put a TRUMP 2020 bumper sticker on it. Imagine a Forester going down the street with a peace sign, coexist sticker, I "HEART" Nurses and a TRUMP 2020 sticker..LMAO.

I have the latest Consumer Reports magazine and the Outback and Forester are the highest rated vehicles of ANY vehicles that don't cost $60k+. Not sure how the WRX fits into that. If I were you get the Forester or WRX and a good set of All Season tires. At least with the Forester you have an argument for your manhood.

Subarus are good cars. Not gonna beat the Lambo at the light, but mileage is good, reliability is good and all wheel drive. Good luck.

welldigger00

Reaction score
Whatever you do don’t just drive the speed limit in the fast lane like most windowlicking Subaru drivers here in Hawaii and Vail CO. Be careful if your girl drives it too much she might stop shaving her hoo-has. :looking:

Hahaha!

welldigger00

Reaction score
WAIT!!! WTF??? MY GFs NOT A LESBIAN!!! One time I did try to get her to do a 3 wa....never mind.
Don't get the crosstek or outback or you have to surrender your man card OR you need a MANBUN...Wait...do you have a Manbun???
When you buy a Subaru, you're automatically registered as a LIBBY, you get a Peace sign to hang on the rear view, a Feel The BERN sticker and a free Tye Dye tee shirt.
GF has a Forester. Loves it. Serious. When she pisses me off I put a TRUMP 2020 bumper sticker on it. Imagine a Forester going down the street with a peace sign, coexist sticker, I "HEART" Nurses and a TRUMP 2020 sticker..LMAO.

I have the latest Consumer Reports magazine and the Outback and Forester are the highest rated vehicles of ANY vehicles that don't cost $60k+. Not sure how the WRX fits into that. If I were you get the Forester or WRX and a good set of All Season tires. At least with the Forester you have an argument for your manhood.

Subarus are good cars. Not gonna beat the Lambo at the light, but mileage is good, reliability is good and all wheel drive. Good luck.

Now that is the response I wanted! No, no man bun. The slightly thinning business cut, and the once a week shave plan. I where Costco jeans, and Carhart jackets, which by the way, have gotten ridiculously expensive.

chvynhra

Reaction score
They make a crosstrek which is kind of a lifted wrx.

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
My Outback I had was the greatest snow vehicle ever......... and good all around car.......don't know about WRX

I got stuck in the big snow storm last year in Monument valley and went through Flagstaff right after biggest snowstorm they ever had. Subaru handled all of it exceedingly well. Also the eyesight system save my wife's from totaling the car when a 1 ton Ford pulled it front of her and car stopped itself.

franky

Reaction score
We
As a SAAB dealer we sold a crossbreed of the small Impreza wagon we badged 9-2x.
View attachment 830597
I was a fan. It made it easy to choose subie powerplant for my manx knowing the capabilities.
The one downside from my understanding is interior noise, Saab beefed up sound insulation on their version.
lesbians love Saab

sintax

Reaction score

get proper snow tires like Blizaks and they do well. I've had mine in the snow and ice with summer tires and it was doable, but you need to be smart. If you end up going down this road, I have a set of 17" wheels i'd make you a smoking deal on that came off of my 19

welldigger00

Reaction score
Someone needs to make a picture of what a lesbaru looks like. How about insurance? Stupid?

F.U.IRS

Reaction score
Oldest daughter has one, badass little car until it threw a rod with less than 25k miles. They also have a Forester that was lemon lawed
IMG957212.jpg

sintax

Reaction score
Someone needs to make a picture of what a lesbaru looks like. How about insurance? Stupid?

insurance is expensive, my monthly premiums went up $20 over my BMW 335, which was almost a 60k dollar car.

gqchris

Reaction score
Please......whatever you do, dont get a Blow Off Valve that queefs at every shift! LOL

That shit gets old real fast, and I'm not even the one driving it!

Racer56

Jukebox Hero
Reaction score
Buy a low mile CPO lease return Audi AWD. Great cars, super comfortable and sporty.

brgrcru

Reaction score
The old outback wagons , were a class above everything on snow and ice .

Years ago this guy passed us in one going up to baldy on pow pow day with snow ice on the road , and told us, "to get the fuck, back to the flat land ," as he was drifting the entire way up . And didn't skip a beat. While we were slipping and sliding into every snow bank. With chains on , in Toyota 4x4.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
View attachment 830597

The Saabaru was nice!

Pesky Varmint

Reaction score
I looked at Subarus in 1976 shopping for a new car. I test drove a Subaru. After the drive, I got out, and when I shut the driver door the outer door panel flopped in and back out noticeably, over an inch. Salesman asked how I liked it, I said it's ok but I'm not interested. He asked if I'd noticed the door, I nodded affirmatively. Never looked back.

Went on to buy a 1976 VW Rabbit. THE WORST car I ever owned (second worst 1981 Chevrolet Citation X-11).

welldigger00

Reaction score
Corvette rates.
Corolla interior.

I’d drive a turbo Mustang or Camaro instead...better mpg and a nicer car.

YMMV [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I agree completely. I’d love a ‘67 Pontiac gto actually. Or a ‘64 ford thunderbolt. However, I need a car to run in the snow, and zippy to get around in and park, and that isn’t like my boat that the old lady calls “the diva”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Runs2rch

Reaction score
I agree completely. I’d love a ‘67 Pontiac gto actually. Or a ‘64 ford thunderbolt. However, I need a car to run in the snow, and zippy to get around in and park, and that isn’t like my boat that the old lady calls “the diva”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Focus RS?

Starloans

Reaction score
From what I've read, sounds like Subarus had reliability issues in the past. That doesn't seem to be the case now. As far as the interior, the GF got the upgraded model with leather and most interior options. The interior is nice. She won't let me "verify" the 4 wheel drive works on it. Won't even let me drive it unless she know exactly where I'm going. The car has never been off the pavement. The dealer here in Vegas had the "no haggle" pricing when she bought it. We haggled the price anyway cause the salesman lied to her about when the car would arrive at dealer from the factory to get her to sign the contract right then. LOL

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
Prepare to pay Corvette insurance rates.

way way worse.....

Corvettes actually insure pretty dang well.

Evos and WRX are bar none the worst for 300hp cars.

I like the newer WRX manuals...cool cars for the $$$

I'm not sure they are ideal for 1' of snow. Better platforms for that.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
Snow traction is 98% due to tires.

RWD/snow tires > AWD/all-season three

sintax

Reaction score
Snow traction is 98% due to tires.

RWD/snow tires > AWD/all-season three

until you get into AWD + Snow tires like I suggested.