WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Any Tricks to Pulling Fish Tape Thru Trailer Tube

shunter2005

Reaction score
Just got the trailer back late today and decided, just before dark, to try to push a fish tape down the tubing for the new lights and brake hoses. I could only get it about 4 ft and it just stops cold. Tried it from every hole in the bottom of the channel and same thing. I know there's got to be a way to get the tape thru the channel, so I will be back out tomorrow to make another attempt with some very small, but stiff wire and see if that will work. You guys have any clues?

colenighthawk

Reaction score
Get a shop vac, twine and a plastic bag.
Tie the bag to the twine, have someone on the other end turn the vacuum on and put it in the hole you want the line to come thru.From the other end,put the bag and the twine thru the hole and let the vacuum suck it thru. I've done it many times.

hallett21

Reaction score
Tie the bag to the twine, have someone on the other end turn the vacuum on and put it in the hole you want the line to come thru.From the other end,put the bag and the twine thru the hole and let the vacuum suck it thru. I've done it many times.

This or try twisting the reel of the fish tape as you push it through.

highvoltagehands

Laveycraft Nuera 2750
Reaction score
I’m assuming you’ve already removed existing wire so tying to them isn’t an option?
Take a look at head on fish steel, sometimes they need to be cut off and rebent over to travel properly and try twisting it. Also If you can get it at least half way thru going each way, try tying a few loops of string on one end of a fishsteel and with make open hook on other fish steel, push it past each other and twist it until it hooks one the loops, slowly pull it back, you can feel it.
Also try a larger 1/4” fish steel or fiberglass rod. The smaller 1/8” fish steels tend bend over and hang up in larger conduit or tubing, though normally not within first 4’.
Lastly try the Baggie trick with vacuum or blower method. The small hole/large tubing/small hole combination raceway may be difficult to seal inorder to get the baggie/mouse to suck/blow thru.
Good luck.

DLC

Reaction score
Get like a coat hanger ( stiff thin wire) about 12 to 16 inch long and bend a hook so you can hook it and pull it thru when you get it close

shunter2005

Reaction score
I’m assuming you’ve already removed existing wire so tying to them isn’t an option?
Take a look at head on fish steel, sometimes they need to be cut off and rebent over to travel properly and try twisting it. Also If you can get it at least half way thru going each way, try tying a few loops of string on one end of a fishsteel and with make open hook on other fish steel, push it past each other and twist it until it hooks one the loops, slowly pull it back, you can feel it.
Also try a larger 1/4” fish steel or fiberglass rod. The smaller 1/8” fish steels tend bend over and hang up in larger conduit or tubing, though normally not within first 4’.
Lastly try the Baggie trick with vacuum or blower method. The small hole/large tubing/small hole combination raceway may be difficult to seal inorder to get the baggie/mouse to suck/blow thru.
Good luck.
You are correct. Had to get the trailer to the powder coat place and ran short on time. Yeah, I know!!!! Kept telling myself to run some wire in the tube as I pulled the old out. But....Oh hell no....that would have been to easy. LOL... "Always the hard way"!!!! That's the way I roll.

So, I bought a cheapo nylon fish tape the other day, not really thinking about it and that is what I got. A POS.... Wouldn't go more than a foot or two without bunching up. So, I went back and bought a steel fish tape today and worked on it. Having to do it in increments, but It is working. Got the brake line pulled thru, no problem. Trailer wiring a little more difficult, but coming along. The hard part was getting it down the the tongue, with the jack square in the middle. It should get much easier now. Ran out of daylight today, so I will finish tomorrow.

Thanks guys, I was just a little frustrated when I posted this up. Sometimes you just have to walk away for a while to get things done.

LOBOATOMY

Reaction score
Just tie wrap the wires to the frame rails, no problem and easy to inspect and repair if needed! Be sure to use contrasting wire color for ease of seeing the wires.
Good luck Pat.

highvoltagehands

Laveycraft Nuera 2750
Reaction score
Just tie wrap the wires to the frame rails, no problem and easy to inspect and repair if needed! Be sure to use contrasting wire color for ease of seeing the wires.
Good luck Pat.
“C’mon man.” Only someone with a Loboatomy or an old Jet Boat trailer from Walmart does that. :)
The OP just powder coated and rerigged it, so obviously he has too much pride in his equipment to do that. Lol.

shunter2005

Reaction score
“C’mon man.” Only someone with a Loboatomy or an old Jet Boat trailer from Walmart does that. :)
The OP just powder coated and rerigged it, so obviously he has too much pride in his equipment to do that. Lol.
Damn, I wish I could. I hate wiring a trailer, especially in the freakin' rain. The newer, better, steel fish tape worked great. Even found a couple of holes that I didn't realize were even there. One side wired up and will finish tomorrow, if it doesn't rain a lot. I can tell you that I have a new found respect for trailer guys. I don't think I would ever do this again. Next time it's due, I'll either be dead or will buy a new one. I think it's going to be nice, but I don't seem to enjoy it like I thought I would.

So, does anyone know much about Extreme axles? Looks like they are sealed completely. Don't ask me how I found that out?

socalrzr

Reaction score
This was the first thing I thought of. You can also try to push it through with an air hose if your vacuum isn’t working.

J.P.

Reaction score
Your trailer is going to look nice when you are complete, so how do you know the axles are sealed...

shunter2005

Reaction score
I think it was that big puff of air that hit me (sounded like a tire going flat in a hurry), when I drilled into one to attach a clamp for the brake line. I have never heard of that before. Good idea, but I had no freakin' clue. Now I have to figure out what needs to be done to seal it. Dumbass move, but I have never had a trailer ax;e that was sealed. Guess the best thing to do is call Extreme and see what they say. A friend told me to install a Schrader valve in it and fill it up with nitrogen or maybe tap it and put a bolt in it and seal it.