WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Any vets that can answer a poison question

Justfishing

Well-Known Member
Joined
Sep 23, 2016
Messages
884
Reaction score
1,149
I am out of town and my daughter is in a panic. We have a 25 lb dog that ate a 5000iu vitamin d3 pill.

A 5000iu is .125mg

Is this something we should worry about. Emergency vet didnt know said that we need to contact poison control before or if they would need to treat. My wife tried 2 poison control centers and no one calls back.
 
Last edited:

Vector

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jul 26, 2009
Messages
142
Reaction score
56
I had to call 911 before for poison control and they connected me to Poison control in 30 seconds. It was for my kid though
 

lbhsbz

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 11, 2010
Messages
7,746
Reaction score
15,237
I’d figure out how to make that dog start puking in a hurry

 

fmo24

Well-Known Member
Joined
Nov 14, 2008
Messages
5,907
Reaction score
3,653
Charcoal
image.jpg

My dachshund licked a poison toad in Florida and this is what we used.
 

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Joined
Aug 5, 2009
Messages
30,153
Reaction score
28,359
Google cholecalciferol poisoning for dogs.
Lots of resources…you need to get on top of this quickly.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 

lantz

Well-Known Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2011
Messages
130
Reaction score
110
call the poison control for pets in your county. They should call you right back. You tell them what your pet ate. They might ask for active ingredients and some specifics, and then they will tell you what to do. There is going to be a charge, but they wil then give you a record number that refers to to their suggestion which you can take to your emergency vet, if they think ti's necessary. Our local vet, told us to call them first before bring out dog in after eating a big chunk of rat poison because that is what they were going to do first anyway and charge us on top of the county charge. For us, it worked, out, and they said skip the trip to vet and watch for...gave us a list of things to monitor. we called vet and told them, gave them the number, done. But, yes, do it faast.
 

fmo24

Well-Known Member
Joined
Nov 14, 2008
Messages
5,907
Reaction score
3,653
How did you use it.
Friend shoved it down him until he threw up. Then flushed his mouth with kitchen faucet. Not sure if this would be recommended for swallowing something solid though
 

185EZ

Takin it EZ
Joined
May 14, 2018
Messages
1,491
Reaction score
4,734
Sometimes throwing up isn't the best solution depending on what was ingested
Our dog ate a rotten dead rabbit and the vet had us take a syringe and inject hydrogen peroxide down it's throat
30 seconds later the rabbit was out
disclaimer, this isn't a professional opinion
 

monkeyswrench

Well-Known Member
Joined
Sep 7, 2018
Messages
12,046
Reaction score
25,362
The good thing is a 5000iu D3 is usually a slow release, and not a toxic (well, by human standards) substance. Hopefully that plays to your advantage.
 

Xtrmwakeboarder

Well-Known Member
Joined
Sep 15, 2018
Messages
2,397
Reaction score
3,251

Justfishing

Well-Known Member
Joined
Sep 23, 2016
Messages
884
Reaction score
1,149
The dog ingested .125 mg. I have seen one source based on his weight the max dose is 1.125 mg. Or 10 times what he ingested. Another was max dose od .4 mg or 3 times what was ingested.

No need to put the dog through a treatment that is not warranted
 

Justfishing

Well-Known Member
Joined
Sep 23, 2016
Messages
884
Reaction score
1,149
Thank you. I paid a small fee. They promptly answered. The vetsaid not to worry
 

napanutt

Connoisseur
Joined
Dec 19, 2007
Messages
7,523
Reaction score
6,962
We thought one of our dogs ate poison mushrooms. A little peroxide with cat food and the poor thing puked for 10 minutes.
 

napanutt

Connoisseur
Joined
Dec 19, 2007
Messages
7,523
Reaction score
6,962

Gelcoater

Well-Known Member
Joined
Sep 26, 2009
Messages
18,406
Reaction score
23,782
Sometimes throwing up isn't the best solution depending on what was ingested
Our dog ate a rotten dead rabbit and the vet had us take a syringe and inject hydrogen peroxide down it's throat
30 seconds later the rabbit was out
disclaimer, this isn't a professional opinion
Yep.
From one if the dog websites


HYDROGEN PEROXIDE:
1 - 10 teaspoons given orally can be used to induce vomiting in dogs. (See toxicities.) Never induce vomiting unless being directed to by a veterinarian. If you think that your pet may have ingested a potentially posionous substance, call the Animal Poison Control Center at 888-426-4435. Hydrogen peroxide is not as effective to clean wounds as antibacterial soap and water.
 

Luvnlife

Head Ram Rod
Joined
Apr 11, 2011
Messages
10,658
Reaction score
2,438
We thought one of our dogs ate poison mushrooms. A little peroxide with cat food and the poor thing puked for 10 minutes.
Yep cooked chicken breast soaked in peroxide. Dog will puke everything up.
 
Top