WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Any vets that can answer a poison question

Justfishing

Reaction score
I am out of town and my daughter is in a panic. We have a 25 lb dog that ate a 5000iu vitamin d3 pill.

A 5000iu is .125mg

Is this something we should worry about. Emergency vet didnt know said that we need to contact poison control before or if they would need to treat. My wife tried 2 poison control centers and no one calls back.

Last edited:

Vector

Reaction score
I had to call 911 before for poison control and they connected me to Poison control in 30 seconds. It was for my kid though

lbhsbz

Reaction score
I’d figure out how to make that dog start puking in a hurry

fmo24

Reaction score
Charcoal
image.jpg

My dachshund licked a poison toad in Florida and this is what we used.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
Google cholecalciferol poisoning for dogs.
Lots of resources…you need to get on top of this quickly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

lantz

Reaction score
call the poison control for pets in your county. They should call you right back. You tell them what your pet ate. They might ask for active ingredients and some specifics, and then they will tell you what to do. There is going to be a charge, but they wil then give you a record number that refers to to their suggestion which you can take to your emergency vet, if they think ti's necessary. Our local vet, told us to call them first before bring out dog in after eating a big chunk of rat poison because that is what they were going to do first anyway and charge us on top of the county charge. For us, it worked, out, and they said skip the trip to vet and watch for...gave us a list of things to monitor. we called vet and told them, gave them the number, done. But, yes, do it faast.

fmo24

Reaction score
How did you use it.
Friend shoved it down him until he threw up. Then flushed his mouth with kitchen faucet. Not sure if this would be recommended for swallowing something solid though

185EZ

Takin it EZ
Reaction score
Sometimes throwing up isn't the best solution depending on what was ingested
Our dog ate a rotten dead rabbit and the vet had us take a syringe and inject hydrogen peroxide down it's throat
30 seconds later the rabbit was out
disclaimer, this isn't a professional opinion

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
The good thing is a 5000iu D3 is usually a slow release, and not a toxic (well, by human standards) substance. Hopefully that plays to your advantage.

Justfishing

Reaction score
The dog ingested .125 mg. I have seen one source based on his weight the max dose is 1.125 mg. Or 10 times what he ingested. Another was max dose od .4 mg or 3 times what was ingested.

No need to put the dog through a treatment that is not warranted

Justfishing

Reaction score

napanutt

Connoisseur
Reaction score
We thought one of our dogs ate poison mushrooms. A little peroxide with cat food and the poor thing puked for 10 minutes.

napanutt

Connoisseur
Reaction score

Gelcoater

Reaction score
Sometimes throwing up isn't the best solution depending on what was ingested
Our dog ate a rotten dead rabbit and the vet had us take a syringe and inject hydrogen peroxide down it's throat
30 seconds later the rabbit was out
disclaimer, this isn't a professional opinion
Yep.
From one if the dog websites

HYDROGEN PEROXIDE:
1 - 10 teaspoons given orally can be used to induce vomiting in dogs. (See toxicities.) Never induce vomiting unless being directed to by a veterinarian. If you think that your pet may have ingested a potentially posionous substance, call the Animal Poison Control Center at 888-426-4435. Hydrogen peroxide is not as effective to clean wounds as antibacterial soap and water.

Luvnlife

Head Ram Rod
Reaction score
We thought one of our dogs ate poison mushrooms. A little peroxide with cat food and the poor thing puked for 10 minutes.

Yep cooked chicken breast soaked in peroxide. Dog will puke everything up.