WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Any Viking Range guru's in here?

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
Looking at an older VGIC 365 36" gas range, 4 burner with griddle. I've heard these are the "good" ones, still have the open burners with removable spill trays and individual grates. Less electronics and BS, just a heavy duty range with big burners and convection oven.

Any issues with these? I know Viking quality took a dip in the 2000's and then is supposed to be "fixed" now days.

Worth messing with? Fits the bill for the project, but if it's a money pit im not interested. Is this the 7.3, or the 6.0 of Viking ranges?

1629307763451.png

4Waters

Reaction score
Looking at an older VGIC 365 36" gas range, 4 burner with griddle. I've heard these are the "good" ones, still have the open burners with removable spill trays and individual grates. Less electronics and BS, just a heavy duty range with big burners and convection oven.

Any issues with these? I know Viking quality took a dip in the 2000's and then is supposed to be "fixed" now days.

Worth messing with? Fits the bill for the project, but if it's a money pit im not interested. Is this the 7.3, or the 6.0 of Viking ranges?

View attachment 1039588
It's the 7.3. Look into the requirements as most if not all viking ranges require a 1" gas line to operate properly.

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
It's the 7.3. Look into the requirements as most if not all viking ranges require a 1" gas line to operate properly.
I checked the data on this one and its 1/2" gas line so I am ok there

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
We have an older Viking cooktop.

Getting parts can be a challenge…if they’re available at all, they’re freaking pricey!

When we renovate our kitchen we’ll be ditching it. Since I get Samsung crap at cost, you can guess what our new kitchen will be equipped with LOL

IMG_7382.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

sintax

Reaction score
Not sure if you’re open to new ranges or not, but there’s a company called Blue Star who make ranges in PA. They are very similar in design, but they make them new. They use open burner designs, simplified electronics systems and solid components.

I’ll be ordering one of their RNB (nova) line when I redo my kitchen.

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
We have one, actually all the stuff in the kitchen is Viking, came with the house, I would never drop $20,000 on a fridge or range etc. One thing is the location, if this is for a Havasu house I can tell you its a PITA, there isnt anyone nearby that can service them, they all refuse to do it, had to get someone to come from Phoenix to fix something in our fridge. We have only had one issue with the stuff and that was the fridge so I guess I cant complain but it was a hassle since there is nobody local that will work on them.

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
We have one, actually all the stuff in the kitchen is Viking, came with the house, I would never drop $20,000 on a fridge or range etc. One thing is the location, if this is for a Havasu house I can tell you its a PITA, there isnt anyone nearby that can service them, they all refuse to do it, had to get someone to come from Phoenix to fix something in our fridge. We have only had one issue with the stuff and that was the fridge so I guess I cant complain but it was a hassle since there is nobody local that will work on them.
Its for our home in CA, so plenty of viking support nearby. I don't want to drop big $$ either but wanted a 36"+ range and something quality. Theres a ton of "knock off" new ranges for $1500 - $2500 from a plethora of Chineese companies like Thor, Zline, etc that look the part but the support and issues with them seem to be pretty poor. I figured a clean used viking has support and seems like a simple appliance overall to work on if needed

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
Its for our home in CA, so plenty of viking support nearby. I don't want to drop big $$ either but wanted a 36"+ range and something quality. Theres a ton of "knock off" new ranges for $1500 - $2500 from a plethora of Chineese companies like Thor, Zline, etc that look the part but the support and issues with them seem to be pretty poor. I figured a clean used viking has support and seems like a simple appliance overall to work on if needed
They are definitely bad ass and get the wow factor from people when they see them, just staggering on the cost. The microwave is like $5000. With the double fridge, big range, microwave, dishwasher, trash compactor its almost 6 figures in appliances, nice to get them with the house but no way in hell I would spend that kind of money on appliances.

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
Ive got one except it has the grill instead of the griddle.

The thing is a tank and a pleasure to cook on. The only issue I have is it goes through ignitors for the oven. I have to replace them about once a year.

Nicest thing about them is you can take it apart to clean it, even the walls of the oven come out. I take it all out and power was the pieces in the driveway.

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
They are definitely bad ass and get the wow factor from people when they see them, just staggering on the cost. The microwave is like $5000. With the double fridge, big range, microwave, dishwasher, trash compactor its almost 6 figures in appliances, nice to get them with the house but no way in hell I would spend that kind of money on appliances.
Yea its crazy, luckily they depreciate like a Mercedes and ballers love to remodel kitchens every 5 years! Lots of nice stuff out there pulled for remodels, just need to make sure they're not a "lemon".

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score
Been looking at Wolf, Sub zero, and Cove for our new build. Holy shit is this stuff pricey. Damn things must be made of gold.

joecfd1

Reaction score
We just installed one in our place in Havasu and love it. It's only a 30" as we didn't want to redo the cabinets/granite. It's nice having gas (propane)
again after having electric for 21 years.

111.jpg

Last edited:

Universal Elements

Reaction score
Wolf or Thermadore (you can take the backboards off)

Done-it-again

Reaction score

would love to see a $5k microwave....

Done-it-again

Reaction score

Need to watch, some commercial units cannot be stuffed between cabinets due to heat.....

Cdog

Reaction score
Not sure if you’re open to new ranges or not, but there’s a company called Blue Star who make ranges in PA. They are very similar in design, but they make them new. They use open burner designs, simplified electronics systems and solid components.

I’ll be ordering one of their RNB (nova) line when I redo my kitchen.

I have Blue Star and it's awesome. Simple and awesome. Ive seen so much viking and wolf crap that doenst work and broken down here in Scottsdale. I won't ever buy either one of those brands. They're Like a 6.0 ford diesel.

Bigbore500r

Reaction score

That all-gas thermador on the bottom would fit the bill, would need to remove the stainless back panel though.

Done-it-again

Reaction score
I have Blue Star and it's awesome. Simple and awesome. Ive seen so much viking and wolf crap that doenst work and broken down here in Scottsdale. I won't ever buy either one of those brands. They're Like a 6.0 ford diesel.

Good to know, been looking at them for a while and couldn't use the cook top in the house we have now.....I want a range again next time.

Not many mfg build 60" ones. Blue Star and Capital are on my list. A blue star with a French cooktop would be on my short list.

Cdog

Reaction score
Good to know, been looking at them for a while and couldn't use the cook top in the house we have now.....I want a range again next time.

Not many mfg build 60" ones. Blue Star and Capital are on my list. A blue star with a French cooktop would be on my short list.

I installed ours in 2018. We've been very happy with it. We're on propane. The rest of our stuff is GE profile that matches.

Last edited:

Cobalt232

Reaction score
We have a Wolf. Looks great with the red knobs. Not sure If I would buy one again though as it has trouble holding low temps. Also the kids say it makes a "noise" at certain settings that I am unable to hear.

My parents have all Viking and they really like them.

DLC

Reaction score
I have a 36 in cook top and it’s older mid 90’s looks like new after some clean up and rebuilt it for $800 new igniters and another doo dad and it works awesome!

FABAFF52-CD5D-41DC-9518-77AF072A45DF.jpeg

sintax

Reaction score

thats killer, i think you're one of the few people who Ive heard who has one.

glad to hear you're happy!

sintax

Reaction score
I installed ours in 2018. We've been very happy with it. We're on propane. The rest of our stuff is GE profile that matches.

oh you got the hood package too!

what did you think of their hoods vs others you looked at?

Cdog

Reaction score
oh you got the hood package too!

what did you think of their hoods vs others you looked at?

Like the range it’s commercial quality. Basic & works. No computer boards made in China to crap out. It’s very nice.

C08H18

Reaction score
Installed Viking double oven and cooktop ~2001. Igniters constantly went out on the cooktop. Wiring burned up in the oven. Had to bypass some internal connects with good wiring and oven worked fine after that. Had to fix the cooktop myself because no one would touch it. Never again.

Cdog

Reaction score
Installed Viking double oven and cooktop ~2001. Igniters constantly went out on the cooktop. Wiring burned up in the oven. Had to bypass some internal connects with good wiring and oven worked fine after that. Had to fix the cooktop myself because no one would touch it. Never again.

I’ve heard and seen this dozens of times. They’re like Range Rovers. Lol!!

sintax

Reaction score
What

What do you suggest instead? Sub is usually top tier when it comes to reliability.

everyone who I know who has them, has regretted them. Whats even worse is 2 different people ended up having to remodel their kitchen essentially to get something new in there since everything was built in and custom.

Done-it-again

Reaction score
What

What do you suggest instead? Sub is usually top tier when it comes to reliability.

not when you read some of the reviews.... granted, everyone gets bad reviews here and there but you would think less issues with a premium mfg.

Dacor
Monogram
Thermador (individual units)
Kitchen Aid.... (parents have a 48" built in and first one lasted 18yrs with some parts replaced the last few yrs) bought a new one 3 yrs ago.

Universal Elements

Reaction score
not when you read some of the reviews.... granted, everyone gets bad reviews here and there but you would think less issues with a premium mfg.

Dacor
Monogram
Kitchen Aid.... (parents have a 48" built in and first one lasted 18yrs with some parts replaced the last few yrs) bought a new one 3 yrs ago.

Honestly, the Kitchenaid stuff is pretty good. We had some higher end Jennair Refrigerators and they were flawless. Don’t know know a days if that’s the case.

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score
Interesting. Kitchen Aid appliances are standard on the build and I was going to upgrade... I'll have to keep researching

Phil Niblack

Reaction score
I have been in the appliance business for the last twenty years and have carried most all major brands during that time. Blue Star is probably hands down the most solid built and best performing range on the market, not much to go wrong and if it does they are a great company to deal with to get problems resolved. The Chinese knockoffs are not bad and they do serve a particular market well but they wont last like a Blue Star. American made is always a plus as well!

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
I must have one of the odd ones that work. But mine is old enough it doesn't have a bunch of fancy electronics.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
I haven't seen a 5k micro and frankly they don't exist... Maybe some commercial ones that Mc D's invest in...

The microwaves well versed in luxury seem to top out around $2K. Why you need a $2K microwave to warm up your $0.30 Cup O Noodles or pop a $0.50 bag of popcorn I'll never know.

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
What

Do the sub/cove/wolf...you won't regret it. Make sure you take the extended warranty etc.

Dacor
Monogram

Outside of the 9 month wait for a refrigerator..we just got it two weeks ago...the roughly 30k in appliances we spent for wolf/sub/cove has been worth every penny. We love it all.

Every manufacturer will have some bad reviews...theres also a lot of Karens in the world. I've bought roughly 1k sets of appliances in the last 5 years for jobs...all kinds of brands..I could find a plethora of things to bitch about.

My gripe is with our cabinet builder in havasu who was provided all specs, install info etc managed to still fuck almost everything up, and won't stand behind it. (that thread will come when I do our remodel thread in full). I've bought a lot of cabinets...and ill never do business with this company again.

NicPaus

Reaction score
GF just had the home warranty guy out today to fix her Kitchenaid range. It's a side by side oven and 1 of the ovens stopped working. Will ask later what it was. He was not even there 30 minutes on his second trip to fix. It's a nice unit though I cook on it 4 days a week. The 8 burners makes cooking a lot of different sides easy.

If you are ordering kitchenaid good luck on delivery times. Last year took 6 months on a kitchen remodel I did. Lead time was 13 days when I paid in full. The double oven is bad ass though customer is happy with it and wouldn't settle for a different 1. Can control it with your phone. Built in recipes on the screen. It was to complicated for me to program it. But the owner got it all dialed in easily with the manual.

SPYLIFE

Reaction score
We have one, actually all the stuff in the kitchen is Viking, came with the house, I would never drop $20,000 on a fridge or range etc.

I had a home that came with the same thing. I thought I was special because everything said Viking all over it, and then I discovered the GE refrigerator in the garage kept the orange juice, and the eggs just as cold. The oven got to 450 just like every other oven I've had. Had to have the ice maker fixed, and it cost just about as much as the entire GE. I would never have all that that vanity stuff in a house again. Buy a Viking sticker, and put on a normal stove, you'll never know the difference.

Reactions: AEA

Melloyellovector

Reaction score
If you were going new I was gonna suggest imperial.
They do a lot of commercial equipment for restaurants etc.
USA made in corona CA.
They are true commercial grade and quality that can be used in residential
Not cheap, but should be less then Viking.
For service and parts get direct or damn near any restaurant equipment tech will have parts

Had one in my diamond bar house

Done-it-again

Reaction score
The microwaves well versed in luxury seem to top out around $2K. Why you need a $2K microwave to warm up your $0.30 Cup O Noodles or pop a $0.50 bag of popcorn I'll never know.

Agreed. I don’t even like a micro visible in the kitchen. Ours is in the pantry.

franky

Reaction score
Ive got one except it has the grill instead of the griddle.

The thing is a tank and a pleasure to cook on. The only issue I have is it goes through ignitors for the oven. I have to replace them about once a year.

Nicest thing about them is you can take it apart to clean it, even the walls of the oven come out. I take it all out and power was the pieces in the driveway.
We had a Wolf six burner with a grill. Used the hell out of that grill!. Nothing like burning a nice steak in the kitchen. Had to have a massive volume vent fan. Wish we would have subbed two of the burners for the griddle. Rarely used all six burners. Wolf is the sound it made when the oven lit.

lakemadness

Grobe Bruste Bitte
Reaction score
Do not go with the look alike brands like Thor, Cosmo, zline etc. I’ve put them in a few flips I’ve done. They look nice but that’s it.

I put a 48” kitchenaide in our house and absolutely love it. About 12k but still much less than a wolf or Viking. Has the service support and parts if we ever need it. Thing is perfect and does an awesome job.

51757091-E66E-4D13-9979-31B61A0171C0.jpeg

Last edited:

Cobalt232

Reaction score
Do not go with the look alike brands like Thor, Cosmo, zline etc. I’ve put them in a few flops I’ve done. They look nice but that’s it.

I put a 48” kitchenaide in our house and absolutely love it. About 12k but still much less than a wolf or Viking. Has the service support and parts if we ever need it. Thing is perfect and does an awesome job.

View attachment 1039858
Good looking kitchen. But, what is going on with the trap door, cage, stairwell area in the back?