WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Anybody familiar with this gimble repair method?

LazyLavey

Reaction score
IMG_0447.JPG

ABout 10 years ago my drive had a lot of slop

I had a local marine repair shop repair the gimble

Was fine after the repair but now I have a lot of play again and the boat is handling a bit strange

I've been researching and have never seen this type of gimble repair in person or on the interweb

With those plugs on both sides it looks like "Frankensterndrive"

Anybody got any shop referrals in the Ventura/North L.A. County area (like to stay geographically desireable)

I'm thinking Teague but I'm all ears....

Ladsm

Reaction score
my gimble was loose and I was able to tighten it up by drilling and tapping 2 holes and put in set screws.

Agimble.jpg

LazyLavey

Reaction score
hmmmmmm.

that could have been what they did.......... and now the set screws have either loosened of just worn on the shaft

Kachina26

Inmate #RDP158
Reaction score
View attachment 809038
ABout 10 years ago my drive had a lot of slop

I had a local marine repair shop repair the gimble

Was fine after the repair but now I have a lot of play again and the boat is handling a bit strange

I've been researching and have never seen this type of gimble repair in person or on the interweb

With those plugs on both sides it looks like "Frankensterndrive"

Anybody got any shop referrals in the Ventura/North L.A. County area (like to stay geographically desireable)

I'm thinking Teague but I'm all ears....
My old Carrera had some slop in the steering. I bought a kit just like this to repair it, I bet it was 18 years ago. Mine looked much cleaner when I was done with it though.

LazyLavey

Reaction score
My old Carrera had some slop in the steering. I bought a kit just like this to repair it, I bet it was 18 years ago. Mine looked much cleaner when I was done with it though.

Was the kit merely 2 set screws?

old rigger

Reaction score
This is how mine was rebuilt works great

Thanks for posting that, pretty cool.
Although I did keep thinking why not just pull the engine/ out drive and do it on a bench? I’m assuming all repairs can be made without cutting into like that? I have zero experience rebuilding I/O’s though.

HST4ME

Reaction score
I much prefer pulling the transom assembly on boats with any kind of power. It's much easier to do the bushings if needed and the seal. Plus I've seen cracks develop from the other methods.

Lavey 29

Reaction score
That's Mercruiser access hole plug kit that Merc had out since the 90 s. Band aide kits. It allows one -- access to remove the nut on top of the swivel shaft and removal of the swivel shaft so one can remove the gimbel ring without removing the engine(s)

LazyLavey

Reaction score
Yes...... I saw the JR improvement kit and repair video... looks top notch!

If mine is repairable I'll insist the JR kit