WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Anybody here bidding for this Jag XJ220 on bringatrailer?

spectras only

Reaction score
1606545603768.png

rcmike

Reaction score
Guessing that is CJ Wilson's car? It would be a really nice one..

spectras only

Reaction score
It was amazing what performance Jaguar could squeeze out of a 3.5 V-6 in those days. 👍

rrrr

Reaction score
Who remembers the Fastmasters race series run at Indianapolis Raceway Park? It featured retired drivers like Bobby Unser, Johnny Rutherford, Bobby Allison, Paul Newman, Harry Gant, and around twenty five other well known names, driving race prepared Jaguar XJ220s.

It was basically a demolition derby, televised on ESPN, and entertaining as hell. There was a $100,000 first prize for winning the series, and the drivers didn't have any skin in the game, so the action was entertaining to say the least. 😁

Tom Walkinshaw Racing, a very well known name in sports car racing, put the cars back together every week. Walkinshaw was the man behind the famous Silk Cut XJR-9 Jaguars that dominated European sports car racing in the 80s and 90s. TWR prepped cars won the 1988 FIA World Sports Prototype Championship, a bunch of other prestigious races, and also three class wins at Le Mans.

This is a great video, There was $7 million worth of Jaguars on a 5/8 mile paved oval, and the drivers got right after it. CART driver and Indianapolis legend Jim McElreath took out NASCAR's Dick Trickle on the second lap of the very first heat race in the series, and pretty much trashed both cars. It didn't get any less confrontational after that. Bobby Unser banged up several cars on his way to winning the $100G. 😁

Last edited:

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
It was amazing what performance Jaguar could squeeze out of a 3.5 V-6 in those days. [emoji106]

IIRC the V6 was a late development n the program.

They wanted a V12 but it was so large and heavy, it made the car uncompetitive.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

sirbob

Reaction score
Didn’t those have a “catch on fire issue”?

I thought I was going to like those cars when they were first talked about but I never did end up liking the looks of them.

boatpi

Reaction score
A very historic piece of automotive history

rrrr

Reaction score
A very historic piece of automotive history

It's telling that Jaguar allowed a bunch of old racers to destroy millions of dollars worth of cars in the Fastmasters races. They couldn't sell them, no one was going to pay $750K for an overweight and underpowered slug that was neither performance car or luxury coupe. I guess they thought the TV time might sell some XJ sedans and XJS coupes. We won't talk about the horrible V12 in those two cars. 😁

Even now the XJ220 is unloved. The one on bringatrailer is selling for less than half of the original sales price. If it had just kept up with inflation, it would be worth about $1.4 million today.

Last edited:

nameisbond

Reaction score
I liked them when they came out. My dad had an XJ12 in 1984. Traded it in on a Porsche in 1985. Bought my mom an XJ12 in 1986. Been a Jaguar fan since I was a kid. In fact I want an XJ12. They didn't sell the series III XJ12 in the US, only Canada. They are semi rare here, cause in 1984 they cost $75k. A lot of money in 84. The ones on the market are driven hard and put away wet. Not a good combo for a Jag.

Spudsbud

Reaction score
I know 3 people who ownwd Jags thru the years.
Unless youre a foreign car repair guy, hold on....
All 3 guys traded in. Got tired of ridiculous repair bills.
POS cars if you ask me.

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
Though this is what I want. Always wanted one.

nameisbond

Reaction score
I wouldn't mind an XJS with the V12. But they are tough to find in mint condition.

rrrr

Reaction score
I liked them when they came out. My dad had an XJ12 in 1984. Traded it in on a Porsche in 1985. Bought my mom an XJ12 in 1986. Been a Jaguar fan since I was a kid. In fact I want an XJ12. They didn't sell the series III XJ12 in the US, only Canada. They are semi rare here, cause in 1984 they cost $75k. A lot of money in 84. The ones on the market are driven hard and put away wet. Not a good combo for a Jag.

In 1974 my best friend's dad bought a XJ6 for his wife's birthday. It was a beautiful car. My buddy and I took it to the prom with our dates, and we were riding high driving a Jaguar. 😁

Their house was built on a steep lot next to the tramway at the base of the Sandia mountains, and the kitchen and breakfast area were above the garage. One Saturday morning while eating Cheerios and Fruit Loops, we smelled smoke, and after a couple of minutes it became apparent something was on fire. We ran downstairs, and fortunately the keys were in the Jaguar, because smoke was pouring out from the gap between the wings and bonnet (British speak 😁 ). We pushed it out into the driveway, and because the Sandia Heights fire station was nearby, the fire was extinguished before things got out of hand.

This wasn't the only Jag in the family, my pal's dad owned a 1967 XKE. As I mentioned, the house was on the side of the Sandia foothills, and there was a huge granite boulder on the side of the road a couple of hundred yards away from the entrance to their driveway. One night after a bit of drinking, my buddy negotiated the curve a bit sloppily, and the rear end of the XKE met the boulder, with predictable results. Dad, with his Italian temper, blew a gasket, and I didn't see much of my friend for a while. This was typical, he and I got in a lot of trouble together. @playdeep knows who I'm talking about. 😁

nameisbond

Reaction score
In 1974 my best friend's dad bought a XJ6 for his wife's birthday. It was a beautiful car. My buddy and I took it to the prom with our dates, and we were riding high driving a Jaguar. 😁

Their house was built on a steep lot next to the tramway at the base of the Sandia mountains, and the kitchen and breakfast area were above the garage. One Saturday morning while eating Cheerios and Fruit Loops, we smelled smoke, and after a couple of minutes it became apparent something was on fire. We ran downstairs, and fortunately the keys were in the Jaguar, because smoke was pouring out from the gap between the wings and bonnet (British speak 😁 ). We pushed it out into the driveway, and because the Sandia Heights fire station was nearby, the fire was extinguished before things got out of hand.

This wasn't the only Jag in the family, my pal's dad owned a 1967 XKE. As I mentioned, the house was on the side of the Sandia foothills, and there was a huge granite boulder on the side of the road a couple of hundred yards away from the entrance to their driveway. One night after a bit of drinking, my buddy negotiated the curve a bit sloppily, and the rear end of the XKE met the boulder, with predictable results. Dad, with his Italian temper, blew a gasket, and I didn't see much of my friend for a while. This was typical, he and I got in a lot of trouble together. @playdeep knows who I'm talking about. 😁

Id settle for a XJ6 series III, but want the V12 (when running right they are great). I drove my moms Jag without my license. We stole it in the middle of the night and cruised around trying to pick up chicks. Mom was going to get the XJS, but she didn't like that it wasn't a full convertible. She didn't like the Mercedes 560SL either. Ended up with a BMW 3 series convertible. Fun car, but tooooooooooooo girlish to pick up chicks when I got my license in 88.

bigboy308

Reaction score
Many years ago I was checking out boats launching/coming out at Don Pedro Lake. An Aqua Craft flattie had pulled up , waiting his turn to load up. It sounded kinda funny when running, looking closer the engine was a V12 Jaguar. Talking to the owner, he stated that cores /broken engines were really cheap at the Jag Dealers. Also, most of them were being replaced because of one problem, oiling to one of the rod bearings. He said that the problem was an easy fix so he had a couple of spares ready to go into his boat., if needed. He was quite happy with the V12 engines.
Boat had a most interesting sound to it.....

yz450mm

Reaction score
I had a buddy in high school, his name was Frank and he and his parents were as British as you could get. He drove a Jaguar, I don't remember any specifics but I know it was dark brown, lol. This was in the late 90s, and obviously his parents were loaded because they had the whole English manor House going on as well.

I lived out in a remote area, and you could get to my house on pavement or take a bumpy dirt road as a shortcut. He would never hesitate to take that shortcut when he was giving me a ride home, and he couldn't care less about the Jag. It never broke down though, so I will give it that.

RIP Frank, never trust those balcony railings that are above a cliff on the ocean.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Taboma

Reaction score
First off, thanks for starting this thread, I knew nothing of this BaT auction site, very cool 👍 👍 👍

Pretty sure this 2018 McClareren 570 S won't be showing up on BaT for auction, or even pieces thereof.
Seems this young local man of 27, had he not burned to death, would agree that size does matter and passing on a curve with double yellows is not a great plan.
Fortunately, he didn't take anybody with him to the promised land. Since this wreck occurred in the nearby wealthy community of Fairbanks Ranch, the matching Polo branded hat and shirt are proper evening attire. Cute ear rings too. I haven't a clue how he came to own such a nice ride ???
If mom or dad contributed, they're probably regretting it.
May he RIP

David Van Vielt 27.jpg

May this McLaren also RIP

McLaren crash2.jpg

riverroyal

Reaction score
I drive this road all the time. ridiculous place to think you can pass

Taboma

Reaction score
I drive this road all the time. ridiculous place to think you can pass

A lot try that on Del Dios as well, and more than a few have paid the ultimate price for saving that extra minute or three.

spectras only

Reaction score
One of my all time favourite car, Datsun 240Z Scarab. Quite few were built with 327/350 in those days. When I bought my 72 Challenger, friend bought a 72 British racing green 240Z. I drooled over it then and I would be a proud owner of one today too. ;)

Last edited:

nameisbond

Reaction score
I had a stock 1971 240Z in the mid 1990's. Had three other cars and a truck. Brother just got his license and he wanted it. I loaned him the car. He crashed it and totaled it.............................. ICBC our insurance here wouldn't sell the car back to me. They crushed it. Still sad at the demise of that car.

Andy B.

Reaction score
I had a 73 240 and a 76 280 great cars the 240 had rusted out floors but the 280 was nice wish I would have kept it.

Taboma

Reaction score
One of my all time favourite car, Datsun 240Z Scarab. Quite few were built with 327/350 in those days. When I bought my 72 Challenger, friend bought a 72 British racing green 240Z. I drooled over it then and I would be a proud owner of one today too. ;)

How's the Miata running with the new Turbo setup ? That looked like a pretty large turbo, but I imagine on the track you'll just use the gears to keep the revs up. I recall Dave Hopp (Monster Motorsports V-8 Miatas) running a Turbo 4 banger he really enjoyed on the track and offering a kit for sale after he got it dialed in.

spectras only

Reaction score
It's all together other than waiting for a SS 90 elbow to weld flanges on for C clamp system for easy removal. Car is off the road til Apr 1st when the track opens. So, got time to tune it properly. It starts up perfect. idles perfect and revs up fast without stalling when throttle plate close. Run AEM wide band and mechanical boost control. Have 8psi spring in the external waste gate and have BOV for added safety. Can't wait to find out how it will perform during track duty. The turbo is capable to 20+ PSI 300 HP.I will keep boost in the safe zone for a while though. The Miata engine is pretty reliable, have put on over 6K miles on the track this year with constant high rpm's. I like the VVT engine with its solid lifter design vs the non VVT hydraulic.
I'm still toying with the LS3 swap if the turbo won't last. ;)

Taboma

Reaction score
It's all together other than waiting for a SS 90 elbow to weld flanges on for C clamp system for easy removal. Car is off the road til Apr 1st when the track opens. So, got time to tune it properly. It starts up perfect. idles perfect and revs up fast without stalling when throttle plate close. Run AEM wide band and mechanical boost control. Have 8psi spring in the external waste gate and have BOV for added safety. Can't wait to find out how it will perform during track duty. The turbo is capable to 20+ PSI 300 HP.I will keep boost in the safe zone for a while though. The Miata engine is pretty reliable, have put on over 6K miles on the track this year with constant high rpm's. I like the VVT engine with its solid lifter design vs the non VVT hydraulic.
I'm still toying with the LS3 swap if the turbo won't last. ;)

Did you see the LS3 white one for sale on BaT ? Seemed to have been put together with good parts. I haven't checked back, it was at $ 15K when I looked the other day.

I sold my 95' Mega Monster with the Whippled 5.0 for mid $ 30K in 06', but the build list was far more extensive, very little remaining was original Miata.
I had $ 54K in the build, back in 95'. Then the insurance company paid another $ 26K around 01' to put black humpty dumpty back together after a little "Oppsie" 😢
Car's still running today, although no longer street legal, track use only.
But Dave really liked the way his Turbo version ran on the track.

nameisbond

Reaction score
I drove a Sunbeam Tiger with the 289 once. It was scary, 1960's tech. My friends dad was adjusting the carb on it at his shop. I was helping my friend run the shop. Think that was the scariest car I drove there.

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
Six minutes left, price is up to $420,000

Sold! @ $420K

Last edited:

Looking Glass

1 = Well = Known = Member
Reaction score
A lot try that on Del Dios as well, and more than a few have paid the ultimate price for saving that extra minute or three.

Do you really this manuver was about saving a few minutes?

Echo Lodge

Reaction score
In the comments section after the auction....

I did get to ride in one in 1999 out at the APG test track near Lake Havasu. Funny story behind that and an experience I will never forget. I was at Kokomo bar in Lake Havasu and they had a Hot Wheels racetrack that you could buy a car to enter in the races they were holding for bar tab money or something like that. I had a Porsche 911 Turbo and the Jaguar XJ220. My XJ220 won one of the races and when I got to the end of the track to pick my car up for the next heat a guy started chatting to me about the car. He knew a hell of a lot about it. He then told me he was an engineer working on them and that they were doing test drives at APG. He asked me if I wanted to come and take a test ride the next day. My answer was a HELL YEAH!!! I met him the next morning in the parking lot of the hotel and followed him out. He took me for a nice ride in it and made sure to blow my hair back. A M A Z I N G!!! Nice experience for a 21 year old Marine at the time who dreamed of cars like this.

This car and the McLaren F1 made my heart race as a teenager, they still do! Wish it was in my realm of bidding but these two cars are unicorns! Glad it will leave California to a state hopefully where emissions and vehicle restrictions are not so strict. Would be fun to make this a cars and coffee vehicle. GLWTA!!!