WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Anybody Here Welded Tube Cracks?

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Inlaw has an old party barge. Beater, but fairly pimp. Well, took on water...a lot. Enough to put the 90hp Merc in the drink, but that's a whole other issue. I looked it over, and the offending tube has some cracks around several welds. I've tig'd aluminum, but never a pontoon. Any weird or out of the ordinary? Or is it pretty straight forward?

Icky

Reaction score
Never welded a pontoon, be we've always drilled out the end of cracks to stop it from cracking further before welding things up.

LowRiver2

Reaction score
Skips prop shop in Havasu cut and welded the rear end cap on one of my logs to fix a dent. They might have some tips for you.

tunnel vision

Reaction score
Is the crack in the pontoon log or a piece of tube handrail? either one is fairly easy to weld, however if it is a pontoon log, remove a section plug if it has one to release any pressure build up while welding.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Is the crack in the pontoon log or a piece of tube handrail? either one is fairly easy to weld, however if it is a pontoon log, remove a section plug if it has one to release any pressure build up while welding.
It's cracked around the mounting brackets for the deck. Drain plug is out...due to needing to drain a lot of water. I figure I'd have to have it vented. It looks as if this was a repair that failed, maybe torch welded even. Here's a pic of one of the cracks.
2020-05-28 12.57.16.jpg

tunnel vision

Reaction score
Sorry just seen this, prep the crack and tig weld it with 5356. It appears its flexing, can you gusset that area or better yet, weld it and test it and make a reinforcement plate rolled to match the log radius.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Sorry just seen this, prep the crack and tig weld it with 5356. It appears its flexing, can you gusset that area or better yet, weld it and test it and make a reinforcement plate rolled to match the log radius.
I welded it up on Friday. Not the most pleasant...started prep around 7am, and the welder was cooling down by 11. It had crept up to 100 in the shade! I ended up using 5356, luckily it's what I had on hand. Also lucky I took a bunch. Found a few more cracks. It looks like it hadn't so much been flexing, as it had a couple runnins with the dock. I don't do much aluminum, and usually it's "in position". This was mostly in between the toon and the center pod...a test of dexterity to balance, run the pedal, feed rod and have my fat head able to see. I did my part, inlaw got lazy and didn't drain the fuel yet. Don't know if it will need motor work, but at least she'll float.