Reaction score
Wondering if this is Steve M?

Attachments

• IMG_7867.jpg
    IMG_7867.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 101

JusTrouble

Reaction score
I was trying to find some pics of Steve McElroy - he runs a blue circle marathon boat out of Huntington Beach - if anybody has any - thanks

Sharp Shooter

The "anti-yuppie"
Reaction score
I was trying to find some pics of Steve McElroy - he runs a blue circle marathon boat out of Huntington Beach - if anybody has any - thanks

Steve McElroy used to bring a Jones Starfire to some of the v-drive outings. I haven't seen him in many years.

Look at 3:04 and 6:36
[video=youtube;utDOmvB0mgI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utDOmvB0mgI[/video]

JusTrouble

Reaction score
Steve McElroy used to bring a Jones Starfire to some of the v-drive outings. I haven't seen him in many years.

Look at 3:04 and 6:36

That is freakin amazing that you pinpointed those 2 video clips from 16 years ago? Geeze. Thank you. I should have said he 'used' to run a circle racer. Clean looking boat and pretty rare from what I have heard. I met him recently when I started working on Dad's 67 Belmont and he has been a HUGE help to me on a weekly basis ever since. He mentioned that there is a photo out there of him in his circle racer where it is out of the water, coming toward the cam. If I could find a good one of it I'd like to frame one up for him.

By the way, I love your work. I guess I missed you at Union Point on the 13th. Next time.

JT

JusTrouble

Reaction score
SS - I just watched the video again because something jumped out at me the first time
This video from 1997 sure looks different from most of the more recent ones I have seen
I would guess that about 80% of the drivers/passengers in the 1997 video are not wearing ANY type of life jacket - not even a ski vest - and they are making hard passes

As you know, Im new as an owner of a flatbottom after getting Dad's Belmont in the water again this year
Ive been reading tons of threads and watching lots of videos trying to learn all I can
The one thing that has been pounded into my head consistently is safety

It wasnt something I worried about growing up skiing, wearing a ski 'belt' but Dad never ran faster than skiing speed with us in the boat even when I was a young adult
Ive found it irresistible to run Dad's old boat harder than he did, which I am sure was the reason Dad NEVER let me drive it till I owned it
After reading a bunch of thread comments and talking to more experienced flatbottom pilots, I decided to invest in some proper protection and bought a used SRP jacket from Mini Sanger at our Delta run
Maybe I dont feel as invinsible as I did when younger and/or Ive got a little bit more common sense factoring in
Who knows

Is it just my perception based on limited exposure or it is more common wearing proper floatation protection these days?

Sharp Shooter

The "anti-yuppie"
Reaction score
SS - I just watched the video again because something jumped out at me the first time
This video from 1997 sure looks different from most of the more recent ones I have seen
I would guess that about 80% of the drivers/passengers in the 1997 video are not wearing ANY type of life jacket - not even a ski vest - and they are making hard passes

As you know, Im new as an owner of a flatbottom after getting Dad's Belmont in the water again this year
Ive been reading tons of threads and watching lots of videos trying to learn all I can
The one thing that has been pounded into my head consistently is safety

It wasnt something I worried about growing up skiing, wearing a ski 'belt' but Dad never ran faster than skiing speed with us in the boat even when I was a young adult
Ive found it irresistible to run Dad's old boat harder than he did, which I am sure was the reason Dad NEVER let me drive it till I owned it
After reading a bunch of thread comments and talking to more experienced flatbottom pilots, I decided to invest in some proper protection and bought a used SRP jacket from Mini Sanger at our Delta run
Maybe I dont feel as invinsible as I did when younger and/or Ive got a little bit more common sense factoring in
Who knows

Is it just my perception based on limited exposure or it is more common wearing proper floatation protection these days?

Definitely more people are wearing their life vests these days! And I would say more and more v-drivers are using prop releases as well. :thumbup:

Reactions: TBI