WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Anybody want an old 15’ Regatta?

lbhsbz

Reaction score
Dumped near my office yesterday. Doesn’t look to bad actually. If I had a tower of power laying around I’d grab it.

E81C177E-3092-4F5A-AA24-A939607F07F4.jpeg

old rigger

Reaction score
Funny, just yesterday an old friend sent me over 30 pics from River Lodge from ‘62-8 that he got from another of our friends. Brought back some great memories along with a little sadness as most our parents are gone now.
Anyway a few of dads friends were really into Regatta’s back then. Schuster and Mr Weiman also offered their splashes (from the same mold I’m sure because Tahiti built all Weiman hulls)...Schuster called his offering the “Splashcraft”!

A0B449B4-AA6E-4E23-8540-623C685A2566.jpeg

Last edited:

lbhsbz

Reaction score
Nice. I grew up on one too...our's was metallic black with cholo gold trim and a 100hp Johnrude. My dad's friend at work had one with a 150 merc on it that he sank down in Blythe in the early '80s and they never found...so we had a cool custom cover for ours from him.

I have another buddy back in New England that has one with a 351W / V-drive setup...they're neat little tiny boats.

I've wanted one for no good reason at all but I've got bigger priorities right now than hauling home more junk.

Water Romper

Reaction score
Funny, just yesterday an old friend sent me over 30 pics from River Lodge from ‘62-8 that he got from another of our friends. Brought back some great memories along with a little sadness as most our parents are gone now.
Anyway a few of dads friends were really into Regatta’s back then. Schuster and Mr Weiman also offered their splashes (from the same mold I’m sure because Tahiti built all Weiman hulls)...Schuster called his offering the “Splashcraft”!

View attachment 985595
Bet that outboard is still running and the memory's are great.

Ol Man

Reaction score
My first boat was a 1968 Regatta 16' 2" with a Merc 125 that I bought in 1969. Had a lot of fun in that boat. Few boats could go faster. A friend built a 15' 6" Regatta a couple of years later, the year Merc came out with the 140. His was faster. I owned that boat until 1976.

BoatCop

Retired And Loving It.
Reaction score
Bet that outboard is still running and the memory's are great.

I had a '69 16' Rayson Craft O/B with the 110 Thunderbolt O/B. I kept it at the Coast Guard Station at Parker Dam, and we used it to go skiing at lunch. 3 fairly big dudes in the boat and it would still pop me straight up on a single ski, and have power to spare.

old rigger

Reaction score
1956 Dick Shuster "Havoc" with a 150 Merc. 15 feet and as flat as can be. Had this boat for years, that's lake Paris -1981

View attachment 985950

I know Schuster had bought Performer boats somewhere along the way but didn't know it was that far back. I thought it was in the early 60s after he left PowerCat.
When dad went to work for him in the 60s they were still cracking out Performers along side the then new Tahiti model. Tropicana boats at the same time.

Very cool little boat! And a equally cool piece of history for the 6 or 7 of us that like this old stuff.

old rigger

Reaction score
I should have mentioned that the Havoc was one of the models of Performer Boats.

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
I know Schuster had bought Performer boats somewhere along the way but didn't know it was that far back. I thought it was in the early 60s after he left PowerCat.
When dad went to work for him in the 60s they were still cracking out Performers along side the then new Tahiti model. Tropicana boats at the same time.

Very cool little boat! And a equally cool piece of history for the 6 or 7 of us that like this old stuff.

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
Gary Baca painted one of those back in the day. It was so fricken cool.
You could probably graft a Seadoo unit in there before you could find a short shaft motor. 😉

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
I still toy with the idea of making a lttle hull like this into an electric powered boat. Golf cart motor, batteries, direct drive. It's at the edge of my skill set and I have micro amounts of free time... but you could make silent channel cruiser pretty cheaply I think.

Tijuana based upholstery shop for the interior, no gauges needed.. maybe a voltage meter.

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
I still toy with the idea of making a lttle hull like this into an electric powered boat. Golf cart motor, batteries, direct drive. It's at the edge of my skill set and I have micro amounts of free time... but you could make silent channel cruiser pretty cheaply I think.

Tijuana based upholstery shop for the interior, no gauges needed.. maybe a voltage meter.
Be the coolest guy on the hoa lake!

The REAL Prop Duster 281

Reaction score

View attachment 985595
Who are the Kids? Jimmy and You?

Moneypit

Ol' school kid..........
Reaction score
Thanks Ol Rigger. Your vast knowledge from the "back in the day" era of our sport/addiction seems to be unlimited. Sometimes I go back in time to the heyday of drag racing in So Cal. Just when I get to thinking "I was there", Ol Rigger comes along with the Marine side of those thoughts, and no pun intended, "blows me outa the water'... Thanks so much for sharing your experiences and associated knowledge, much of which is "from the horse's mouth"...Always a pleasure sir....
Ray
69 Tahiti
74 Tahiti
68 Hydroflite
70 Seabird

SpectraPat

Reaction score
Here’s my 16’ Regatta. It was my first boat and I paid $1,500. That was my 18yo girlfriend at the time. We will celebrate 38th anniversary on 3/31. I always tell her I was one day away from saying the wedding was “April fool’s”
E2BCD406-DDBE-4156-A087-48B987550F79.jpeg

old rigger

Reaction score
Thanks Ol Rigger. Your vast knowledge from the "back in the day" era of our sport/addiction seems to be unlimited. Sometimes I go back in time to the heyday of drag racing in So Cal. Just when I get to thinking "I was there", Ol Rigger comes along with the Marine side of those thoughts, and no pun intended, "blows me outa the water'... Thanks so much for sharing your experiences and associated knowledge, much of which is "from the horse's mouth"...Always a pleasure sir....
Ray
69 Tahiti
74 Tahiti
68 Hydroflite
70 Seabird

Thanks!

Last edited:

Water Romper

Reaction score
Here’s my 16’ Regatta. It was my first boat and I paid $1,500. That was my 18yo girlfriend at the time. We will celebrate 38th anniversary on 3/31. I always tell her I was one day away from saying the wedding was “April fool’s”
View attachment 986108
I'll bet there was just as much fun and joy in this boat as the guy in his new 900.00 a mo. for 30 years 25 cup holder 8 million watt wake boat. Cool picture, see that 18yr old gal in the seat, see that smile- priceless!

lbhsbz

Reaction score
View attachment 986108
Ours was the same colors but switched. It took 3 scoops of water on the deck before it started boiling without just flashing off and then another 10 if you didn't want blisters when tying off or unhooking the anchor. Great looking boat. Those red stripe mercs are about the sexiest looking outboards ever made.

lbhsbz

Reaction score
I'll bet there was just as much fun and joy in this boat as the guy in his new 900.00 a mo. for 30 years 25 cup holder 8 million watt wake boat. Cool picture, see that 18yr old gal in the seat, see that smile- priceless!
More...it takes less than 5 minutes to wipe down a 15'7" regatta that's less than 3 feet tall at it's highest point on the trailer. More time boating, less time cleaning