WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Anyone done Sac to the Ocean?

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
Ready to try a new run. Dont have any idea on launch, places to stop stay blah blah....

If someone posted prior sorry.

A few of you guys who's screenames escape me have thrown out going for a ride- I'll look you up and ping you.

Thanks

UD

lake p.a.l.

Reaction score
Ready to try a new run. Dont have any idea on launch, places to stop stay blah blah....

If someone posted prior sorry.

A few of you guys who's screenames escape me have thrown out going for a ride- I'll look you up and ping you.

Thanks

UD

Several times. I live @ LOTO now. Are u looking to split it into 2 days or ?? What boat? There will be MANY days it won't be possible to get to Golden Gate unless u r willing to go 5-10mph into 4-5' wind chop. U r more than welcome to call me to discuss.
Rob
925-421-59six nine

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
Several times. I live @ LOTO now. Are u looking to split it into 2 days or ?? What boat? There will be MANY days it won't be possible to get to Golden Gate unless u r willing to go 5-10mph into 4-5' wind chop. U r more than welcome to call me to discuss.
Rob
925-421-59six nine

I'll reach out.

OC Mike

Reaction score
No, but if you do, would love to read about it..

DaveC

Car-boat motors
Reaction score
Check the weather. The bay is always windy. I am here now and the winds are 15-20 mph today

If you can find a nice day it’s doable

On most days you can get to Benicia or Martinez before it really gets ugly. It’s the last leg on the Bay that gets rough. first San Pablo bay then the main part of SF Bay.

They also have a section they call the slot which lines up with the opening of the Golden Gate Bridge. It is basically the water between San Francisco and Marin County. It can be really rough there.

I have sailed there on really windy days and I would Not bring a small boat there in bad weather.

If you can find a nice day that’s it’s not windy you can drive anywhere you want. Also the earlier the better.

There is typically less wind in the fall and winter and early spring

28Eliminator

Reaction score
Saw this guy coming through Sac on Sunday.. maybe someone on here?
36D2E009-53FE-4A1D-A52A-FE431ED48D5D.jpeg

DaveC

Car-boat motors
Reaction score
I am not sure exactly but by car it’s 100 miles from Sacramento to my house in San Mateo. The water route is similar with a few more twists and turns. I am 15 miles south of SF.

I have done 125 miles in one day before on the delta.

How many miles is it?

I should mention that even on rough days one can boat probably 75% of the way from Sac to SF before it gets too rough and sloppy. I would say west of Vallejo is where the really big stuff could possibly start. So even if it blows out the trip won’t be a waste.

So in that case one can make a turn and see other parts of the Delta that are more sheltered than the SF bay. Plenty to see on the Delta.

brgrcru

Reaction score
We have gone from iselton
To the ghost ships
Close to the sf bay

lake p.a.l.

Reaction score
October is by far your best chance in a 2750. There are plenty of days the water between Pittsburg & Benicia will be legit 4' wind chop & SF Bay could be relatively flat. Tides rolling opposite way of wind play a huge role in San Pablo Bay. If you get to San Rafael Bridge and wind is picking up, hug the Marin shoreline headed to Angel Island. Going under Golden Gate hug the Marin side for best water. 91 octane @ Pittsburg marina. Premium gas very difficult to find @ marinas in Bay. If u stop anywhere in SF Bay expect fishermen to throw chum in & on your boat so the seagulls shit everywhere, unless u can keep an eye on it @ Sams in Tiburon. Its a fun adventure. Timing is only way you can do it. I know the 2750 is VERY capable. There were many many many days I was forced to turn around in our 308 Skater even when wind & tide forecasts looked good. Check fog report, takes extra layers of clothes ANYTIME of year.

lake p.a.l.

Reaction score
If you are in SF Bay & fog rolls in past Golden Gate run as hard as you possibly can to get out of it & back toward San Rafael Bridge. It will get very wet & cold but more importantly you will not be able to see anything

lake p.a.l.

Reaction score
If planning a trip, 1st Friday in October is Hookie Day on CA Delta with DLB & a FANTASTIC day.
You can stay in a rustic cabin at B&W Resort. Easy day trip to Sacramento in any boat. More importantly you could pick your day for a Bay run & you are only 70-75 miles to Golden Gate. I would recommend going as early as possible. If wind picks up between Benicia & Pittsburg going thru Montezuma Slough is nice option. Download navionics it will save your ass.
Please let me know if I can help in any way

DaveC

Car-boat motors
Reaction score
where have you been? You know I am just a tourist on the dirty D and bay

😏

October is by far your best chance in a 2750. There are plenty of days the water between Pittsburg & Benicia will be legit 4' wind chop & SF Bay could be relatively flat. Tides rolling opposite way of wind play a huge role in San Pablo Bay. If you get to San Rafael Bridge and wind is picking up, hug the Marin shoreline headed to Angel Island. Going under Golden Gate hug the Marin side for best water. 91 octane @ Pittsburg marina. Premium gas very difficult to find @ marinas in Bay. If u stop anywhere in SF Bay expect fishermen to throw chum in & on your boat so the seagulls shit everywhere, unless u can keep an eye on it @ Sams in Tiburon. Its a fun adventure. Timing is only way you can do it. I know the 2750 is VERY capable. There were many many many days I was forced to turn around in our 308 Skater even when wind & tide forecasts looked good. Check fog report, takes extra layers of clothes ANYTIME of year.

arch stanton

Reaction score
would making the trip during a santa ana wind direction make the bay better or worse?

DaveC

Car-boat motors
Reaction score
Do you mean east to west wind direction? That doesn’t happen often with light winds and causes warm weather. Results are probably the same, big rollers.

The wind typically blows from the northwest and pretty much everyday. So it’s not a question of when but how much.

The delta is very sheltered. The bay not so much. The transition are near Benicia and Pittsburg depends on a few factors.

Rob makes a good point. The tide in the bay can really get moving. If the tide is moving opposite of the wind direction then it can get really big

steamin rice

No Bad Days....
Reaction score
Years ago, probably in 2005 or 2006, I took my 34 up to the Big Cat Poker Run along with a bunch of other guys from Scope. We stayed in Discovery Bay and did a lunch run the day before the poker run. We had about 20 boats, and went from Discovery Bay up to Sam's Cafe in Tiburon for lunch. After lunch, we went through the bay under the golden gate bridge, around Alcatraz and then headed back with a stop to check out the mothball fleet at Suisun Bay.

The water under the Golden Gate was really rough and I was taking a lot of water over the bow of my 34. We went just far enough to cross under the bridge and then turned back towards smoother water. In hindsght, I wish I would have slowed down for a few minutes to get some photos of the boat under the bridge since it is very unlikely that I will have the boat up there again.

Overall I think it was around 180 miles roundtrip from Discovery Bay. Most of the water was smooth and it was one of my favorite boating days. If you have the opportunity I would do it, and try to capture some photos while you are there.

Last edited:

kimbalee

Reaction score
We did last year in our 24' Lavey NuEra. Got as far as the corner by Benicia and had to turn back - wind and swells were getting gnarly. Amazing drive that far tho' - just a wee bit short of seeing the bridge.

lake p.a.l.

Reaction score
Once you get past the Napa River thru Carquinez Straits point your bow straight at the top of Mt Tamalpais, no need to add extra miles going out thru the channel in San Pablo Bay. If you get over to Oakland Estuary, Quinns Lighthouse has phenomenal food & great location, eat on deck outside upstairs. Travis Bar has cheap drinks & great views of Golden Gate. Stopping in Benicia (lived there for 6 years) is very protected marina & short walk to Sailor Jacks. Launch ramp in this marina drops off, there's a red line painted on dock, you can go +/- 8" past red line.

schweeng

Reaction score
I remember the SCOPE trip..... friggen broke a drive near Pittsburg..... oh well....!!! Great trip.

UD - The 2750 will do real well there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Waterjunky

RDP Inmate #94
Reaction score
Was looking at making this run this year also. Had some real plans for it, then the prices got so crazy I sold my boat for way, way more than I could turn down.......

The Cobalt would have loved this run.

steamin rice

No Bad Days....
Reaction score
I remember the SCOPE trip..... friggen broke a drive near Pittsburg..... oh well....!!! Great trip.

UD - The 2750 will do real well there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Was that when you had the bid bird TG?

707dog

Reaction score
If planning a trip, 1st Friday in October is Hookie Day on CA Delta with DLB & a FANTASTIC day.
You can stay in a rustic cabin at B&W Resort. Easy day trip to Sacramento in any boat. More importantly you could pick your day for a Bay run & you are only 70-75 miles to Golden Gate. I would recommend going as early as possible. If wind picks up between Benicia & Pittsburg going thru Montezuma Slough is nice option. Download navionics it will save your ass.
Please let me know if I can help in any way
Shhhh...hookie day its not everyone geared for people who like to run what they brung and knock down some miles while pulling the plug on the cooler all before noon😁

steamin rice

No Bad Days....
Reaction score
Yeah....great day.... broken down at the launch ramp in Pittsburg and these guys are looking at it and are admiring the white interior in the boat...... "Dang, that's like ....cocaine white"......

The same guys that called it big bird?? lmao!