WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Anyone else going to glamis for Thanksgiving?

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
We are leaving Tuesday - Saturday and will be at the end of was 14!

Personally I like Havasu / Parker better, and riding with friends etc.. but I promised the wife we’d use this motorhome every chance we get, and we have a large group going so it’s gonna be fun.

who else is gonna be in glamis?

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
We have alot of great memories of cooking huge feasts out there for Thanksgiving, good times.

EmpirE231

Reaction score
we will be out there tues-sun off gecko

maiden voyage for the new power plant
image_11755.jpg

69hondo

Reaction score
IF my buggy wasnt broke I would be going. Still possibly could with just the bikes. Fiends will be in wash 14 as well.

sintax

Reaction score
We have alot of great memories of cooking huge feasts out there for Thanksgiving, good times.

same man.

I remember being a kid riding all day and coming back to the motorhome and somehow my mom cooked a whole thanksgiving meal in that damn thing. I have no clue how she ever did it. We'd eat like kings by the fire and have turkey sandwiches for lunch the rest of the trip.

also have some killer New Years memories out there, we always did both holiday out at the desert

Meaney77

Reaction score
My buddy was out there this last Monday and has been there dunning all mid week. He said they were already starting to save/block off open spots on Gecko. I miss the old days when you didn't have to worry about this. Also miss camping down by the aqueduct where you never really had to worry about finding a spot.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Dave, do you put your boat in the water in Parker on a holiday weekend? If yes, you're gonna LOVE Glamis on Thanksgiving. 👍

Absolutely.. lol. There’s two types of people, there’s boaters (smooth water isolation) and party’ers (social). I was always fell into the second group. Lol

I will admit how that I’m getting older I listen to talk radio, and find myself wanting some bazillion acre ranch where I can shoot guns and run around naked, watch deers, scratch around in the dirt etc.. lol

I am smart enough to know that in the few times I have been to glamis I’m terrible at it and have no interest in getting hurt or dead out in the dunes.. I’ll stick around camp, unless we go to that bar way out in the middle of nowhere that I have heard about.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Bring a dust mask! Gonna be super dusty but lots of fun to be had!
I am sticking to the dirt in havasu for this one

For actual desert tromping I'd way rather be here.. and I'm bummed I'm gonna miss the Sundance Outlaw deal as well as the races, and our annual trip to the Desert Bar not he most crowded day of the year.. LOL (It's a pain in the ass, but it's tradition). We are gonna try something new.. I flipping hate Glamis with a passion, but I'll have fun hanging out with Robert and Heater, and William and Wendi, and the Blakes, and the other 9 rigs that are going with us.. LOL

RD

EmpirE231

Reaction score
Absolutely.. lol. There’s two types of people, there’s boaters (smooth water isolation) and party’ers (social). I was always fell into the second group. Lol

I will admit how that I’m getting older I listen to talk radio, and find myself wanting some bazillion acre ranch where I can shoot guns and run around naked, watch deers, scratch around in the dirt etc.. lol

I am smart enough to know that in the few times I have been to glamis I’m terrible at it and have no interest in getting hurt or dead out in the dunes.. I’ll stick around camp, unless we go to that bar way out in the middle of nowhere that I have heard about.

Duners Diner I heard is closed all season.... major bummer because they have good food / drinks.

EmpirE231

Reaction score
and x5 on the earplugs.... I used to get pissed off... now I just pop em in.

also needed 10x more if camping in the washes lol

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score

You'll love it then.

Couple weekends ago, OC and I went up to the dam and floated down. Not one single boat passed us the whole time.

We thought we had died and gone to heaven...

20201109_115449.jpg

SKIDMARC

Reaction score

Its its really that dangerous in Glamis? Never been, have friends that want to go. Not for thanksgiving though. Doing Cal City.

lavey jr

Reaction score
We will be there!
Should be finishing up the build on our RZR today or tomorrow!

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
My buddy was out there this last Monday and has been there dunning all mid week. He said they were already starting to save/block off open spots on Gecko. I miss the old days when you didn't have to worry about this. Also miss camping down by the aqueduct where you never really had to worry about finding a spot.
Gecko is pretty much full already and will be through the holiday, its getting out of hand with the ghost camp thing. BLM writes tickets but its a small fine, well worth the expense for a good spot.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Its its really that dangerous in Glamis? Never been, have friends that want to go. Not for thanksgiving though. Doing Cal City.

Absolutely. It's WAY worse than the river. Why? It costs a few bucks to be out on the boat at the river. You can be on the sand for pennies. So think about the type of crowd you'll get for pennies. And the high dollar crowed is almost worse.

On a holiday weekend, it's not IF anyone will die, it's how many people will die. Same shit every year.

This happened a couple of weekends ago i believe. You can see in the background it's not even crowded! Thanksgiving will be insane...

http://instagr.am/p/CHtZmc4BQdl/

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
Like anything else if you can get out for a few days mid week its an amazing place to dune, if you go on a weekend the goal is to have fun camping, thats about it.

Icky

Reaction score
Head over to olds for the day but park towards the back for safety. Stay away from the drags and sand highway unless you have a designated driver

Gelcoater

Reaction score
fuck yeah it is that dangerous.. LOL.

RD
Is dangerous if you have no eye for reading the dunes and roll around too on the throttle.
Someone who knows how to lead can take you on some runs you might actually enjoy if you follow the basic rules of sticking to their line and not making your own and using gravity and momentum rather that fighting them.

riverroyal

Reaction score
stupidity is dangerous. If your smart and careful you will be fine....maybe

Meaney77

Reaction score
Gecko is pretty much full already and will be through the holiday, its getting out of hand with the ghost camp thing. BLM writes tickets but its a small fine, well worth the expense for a good spot.
I was reading a few years ago on Glamis Dunes where the BLM was out there and towing anything where people were ghost camping and not present. That would be a huge bummer to be sitting at home only to find out that all of your shit got towed and impounded from Glamis!

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
I was reading a few years ago on Glamis Dunes where the BLM was out there and towing anything where people were ghost camping and not present. That would be a huge bummer to be sitting at home only to find out that all of your shit got towed and impounded from Glamis!
Towing has never happened, only tickets, and the cost of the tickets is not even a factor if you have a good spot. Others pay an employee to camp sit during the week so they can have a spot for the entire season.

69hondo

Reaction score

Its offroading so yeah its dangerous but follow someone who knows how to lead in the dunes. Dont go duning by yourself. THe really crazy places are olds hill, the drags, sand highway can be a shit show as well and the flats. The nice thing about Glamis is you can get away from people in the dunes. The place is so big half the people that are there dont go in the dunes they just take the trails to the hot spots. Dont let anyone scare you off from experiencing it. On that note shit can happen anywhere and anytime. LAst trip last year on an off weekend I went up and over olds hit a big bowl and broke a spindle which sent the family and I over in our buggy.

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
Its offroading so yeah its dangerous but follow someone who knows how to lead in the dunes. Dont go duning by yourself. THe really crazy places are olds hill, the drags, sand highway can be a shit show as well and the flats. The nice thing about Glamis is you can get away from people in the dunes. The place is so big half the people that are there dont go in the dunes they just take the trails to the hot spots. Dont let anyone scare you off from experiencing it. On that note shit can happen anywhere and anytime. LAst trip last year on an off weekend I went up and over olds hit a big bowl and broke a spindle which sent the family and I over in our buggy.

Its very similar to Havasu, avoid the channel and near the launch ramps and you can have a good time even on a busy weekend. I would say 80% of the people just drive from camp to Olds on sand highway and park, and then sand highway to the drags till dark, then sand highway back to camp, they have no idea how good it can be when you really get out away from all the fucksticks.

69hondo

Reaction score
Its very similar to Havasu, avoid the channel and near the launch ramps and you can have a good time even on a busy weekend. I would say 80% of the people just drive from camp to Olds on sand highway and park, and then sand highway to the drags till dark, then sand highway back to camp, they have no idea how good it can be when you really get out away from all the fucksticks.

Yup and I hope most of them continue to that and stay out of the dunes. LOL "fucksticks" perfect.

LowRiver2

Reaction score
Most people out there now have no idea how to follow the flow of the dunes and have fun on a high speed dune run, and those are the people that you hit when they dont follow the flow.
You have more years /trips out there than most , all spot on advice.
While I enjoy dune driving the most, the wife and I don’t feel like using our first aid kits every trip in G vs 0 issues anywhere else.
Can’t wait for a recession to thin the Glamis “herd” like 2009,2010

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
You have more years /trips out there than most , all spot on advice.
While I enjoy dune driving the most, the wife and I don’t feel like using our first aid kits every trip in G vs 0 issues anywhere else.
Can’t wait for a recession to thin the Glamis “herd” like 2009,2010
True, my wife says "Im not a nurse" when we were out there this weekend. Unfortunately our own son gives us the biggest anxiety.

Attachments

• IMG_8222.mov
    1.5 MB

Wizard29

43' Eliminator
Reaction score

Yeah it would be, but that's what someone should get for being an asshole and blocking others from using a spot.

The ghost camping thing out there is ridiculous and the BLM needs to return to the practice of towing unattended rigs. That would start getting the attention of the assholes and they'd stop leaving their crap out there like they own the place.

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
Yeah it would be, but that's what someone should get for being an asshole and blocking others from using a spot.

The ghost camping thing out there is ridiculous and the BLM needs to return to the practice of towing unattended rigs. That would start getting the attention of the assholes and they'd stop leaving their crap out there like they own the place.
Did they actually ever tow? It was always threatened but I never once heard of it happening. From what I understood they were always concerned about the liability, ie you tow something and someone was sleeping inside or the damage to things inside that were not secured since the owners were not planning on the rig being moved. Personally I think they should say tough shit, you were camped illegally, damage is your problem.

Meaney77

Reaction score
Did they actually ever tow? It was always threatened but I never once heard of it happening. From what I understood they were always concerned about the liability, ie you tow something and someone was sleeping inside or the damage to things inside that were not secured since the owners were not planning on the rig being moved. Personally I think they should say tough shit, you were camped illegally, damage is your problem.
I am positive I read and saw a post with pics of it happening....