WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Anyone else going to glamis for Thanksgiving?

riverroyal

Reaction score
What always amazes me about Glamis is no matter what time of night it is someone’s always out on a bike quad or rzr / buggy. I’ll get up at like 4 am to take a pee, walk out of the motorhome and you can hear someone on the pipe in the distance. Who’s tearing it up on a quad at 4 am? Alcohol has to be involved.
cocaine is a hella of a drug

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Glam is is off limits for us at work. Had two secretaries go out last weekend. They got covid, came to work, whole building and office got shut down. It sucks but I do like my job so I gotta do what I can.
Two people went away for a weekend, get sick. Come to work, may or may not get others sick...office gets shut down. Employees told where they can't go in their off time....

You're a bit younger than me, they must have stopped teaching a few things in school. Sounds a bit, how do I say it?

COMMUNIST!!!

What happens if someone goes to the river in spring, gets sick, and they say you can't go there?

gqchris

Reaction score
I’m just going to cook and drink.. lol I hate the dunes

I am with you on this, Dave. We enjoy the same type of offroad activity levels. LOL.....I am more there for the atmosphere and camping/drinking/cooking. Never been to Glamis. Not a fan of Sand 24/7. My wife says hell no also so that makes it easy decision. Keep us posted on how the trip goes. You definitely got the new rig to just kick back and enjoy without even leaving camp!

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
Two people went away for a weekend, get sick. Come to work, may or may not get others sick...office gets shut down. Employees told where they can't go in their off time....

You're a bit younger than me, they must have stopped teaching a few things in school. Sounds a bit, how do I say it?

COMMUNIST!!!

What happens if someone goes to the river in spring, gets sick, and they say you can't go there?
They basically already did. I follow you on instragram if you look at mine you’ll notice I don’t really post my family going anywhere. There’s more pictures here. Pretty shitty but I won’t be posting any family thanksgiving or Christmas parties either. I don’t want to hear the bullshit. Those two that went for the bosses sick. I guess that’s why now it’s a big deal. I don’t agree with a lot of things but right now I just do what I have to for my family. It’s honestly why I completely changed gears and I’m going to be the welding instructor. I wanted to make a run at coordinator and director. Maybe end up at the ITC. Now I don’t really want any of that. I just want to be in the welding shop left alone. Way in the back by myself.

Gelcoater

Reaction score
Ghost camping... I look at it as “oh well”... It’s been happening since the beginning of time and nothing has changed about it. People will still do it and it will continue to happen. Why is everyone all of a sudden concerned about it?

The whole “Glamis is crazy” is true depending how you go about things. It’s literally no different than Havasu. If it’s crazy busy in an area then park at a distance in a good viewing spot that you can stay away from the main hub of crazy drivers. While you’re driving have your head on a swivel and assume nobody is looking out for you. If you don’t want to be a part of the craziness then avoid the main attraction spots and just go out and ride where there is a ton less people, maybe even zero people if you just go out and ride where you don’t see evidence of people being around. With those three small pieces of advice it is by far the crazy that people tell everyone.

Many of the people I hear say “glamis is crazy” are typically the same people who will go to Havasu on a holiday weekend and hit all the main attraction spots and have zero problem with doings so. What makes Glamis so different than that? In my eyes, it’s no difference.
Since 1992

I suppose it’s a matter of perspective, dude.
How old were ya in 92? 😉

Gelcoater

Reaction score
They basically already did. I follow you on instragram if you look at mine you’ll notice I don’t really post my family going anywhere. There’s more pictures here. Pretty shitty but I won’t be posting any family thanksgiving or Christmas parties either. I don’t want to hear the bullshit. Those two that went for the bosses sick. I guess that’s why now it’s a big deal. I don’t agree with a lot of things but right now I just do what I have to for my family. It’s honestly why I completely changed gears and I’m going to be the welding instructor. I wanted to make a run at coordinator and director. Maybe end up at the ITC. Now I don’t really want any of that. I just want to be in the welding shop left alone. Way in the back by myself.
What you describe here could be called being “Controlled” or to some the word “oppressed” could be used.
Now the question is, who is the controller?
The government? The employer? The union?
All of the above?
Not trying to bang on you or start a union bashing slant but wow!
You are a stronger person than I. Unless they are paying me 24/7 I couldn’t see myself being told where I can or can’t go.
I suppose the Fuck off gene just runs too deep in my blood🤷‍♂️😂

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
What you describe here could be called being “Controlled” or to some the word “oppressed” could be used.
Now the question is, who is the controller?
The government? The employer? The union?
All of the above?
Not trying to bang on you or start a union bashing slant but wow!
You are a stronger person than I. Unless they are paying me 24/7 I couldn’t see myself being told where I can or can’t go.
I suppose the Fuck off gene just runs too deep in my blood🤷‍♂️😂
I see it both ways in all honesty. I don’t want someone else to get me sick and I don’t want to get someone else sick. I won’t go as far as calling anyone irresponsible because I feel like that’s bullshit but at the beginning of all this I did ask people to take into consideration I had small kids an an older nanny. I’m don’t joke being a hypocrite so if I’m asked to think of others I can’t just say no. I honestly get both arguments

lavey jr

Reaction score
I suppose it’s a matter of perspective, dude.
How old were ya in 92? 😉

Yes you’re right. Nobody is really wrong in what I’ve heard or read. There’s just ways around everything I guess and different ways to go about it all. Crazy or not I’m still going to go as long as California lets us!

Haha I was still drinking milk and sh*ting in diapers in 92

Ladsm

Reaction score
This year in Glamis has been like this last summer in Havasu. Packed. Stay off Dune Hwy and take the dunes to your destinations. Too many newbies with a credit card buying vehicles they dont know how to drive running around

Ricks raft

Reaction score
Was going to sand mtn. saw the crowds for thanksgiving, nope. saw the crowds for Dumont and can only go for 3 days with 8-10 hr drive. nope. gonna try cal city area.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Ghost camping... I look at it as “oh well”... It’s been happening since the beginning of time and nothing has changed about it. People will still do it and it will continue to happen. Why is everyone all of a sudden concerned about it?

The whole “Glamis is crazy” is true depending how you go about things. It’s literally no different than Havasu. If it’s crazy busy in an area then park at a distance in a good viewing spot that you can stay away from the main hub of crazy drivers. While you’re driving have your head on a swivel and assume nobody is looking out for you. If you don’t want to be a part of the craziness then avoid the main attraction spots and just go out and ride where there is a ton less people, maybe even zero people if you just go out and ride where you don’t see evidence of people being around. With those three small pieces of advice it is by far the crazy that people tell everyone.

Many of the people I hear say “glamis is crazy” are typically the same people who will go to Havasu on a holiday weekend and hit all the main attraction spots and have zero problem with doings so. What makes Glamis so different than that? In my eyes, it’s no difference.

To sum it up in a single word “visibility”

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score

More of it now than ever in the 55 years we've been going there. You can drive the entire Gecko rd at times and 90% of the rigs and junk trailers are spread out and unattended and most are there for the season, no place to camp. Add a few families there for a few days and that's it, full. Rangers told us more like 95%.

Glamis quit being crazy back around 2003-04 when they had the big LEO crackdown.
The past 3 Thanksgiving we were there it was good. Never saw anything we felt crazy, nor out of control. Everyone having a good time and people asking to join our group. We move vehicles aside and accommodate anyone though we're asshole to belly button we make you a spot. Daisy chain you in,, then back out.

We arrived a week before T day and left a week after. No mayhem, no serious accidents, just the occasional Rzr on fire.
It's better now with the 45 sq miles of former closure reopened.

The only thing ever holding us back from Glamis is it's not easy to find a spot to camp no matter how early you get there. Dudes with expensive rigs and rides think they are entitled to tape and cone off an entire pad. The BLM rule is 30 feet around your rig. They only enforce it if someone complains about a specific location.

Last edited:

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Is dangerous if you have no eye for reading the dunes and roll around too on the throttle.
Someone who knows how to lead can take you on some runs you might actually enjoy if you follow the basic rules of sticking to their line and not making your own and using gravity and momentum rather that fighting them.

I will freely admit I have zero eye for the sand.. I can’t read the terrain, can’t see the little bump ups etc.. lol

Last time I was following Robert and I would watch his whips or his car and say ok somethjng is coming up, should he right about “boom!” Yep there it was.. lol. I don’t know why but it all looks the same to me and I can’t visually see the details..

I suspect it would probably get better with experience, but that whole place looks like chaos to me. No rhyme or reason to where anyone’s going or why.

At least out here theres trails which indicate where you are going etc..

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Well today I’m going to drive out and drop off our firewood abd exchange some kids quads for adult ones and bring them back to Havasu for my buddy Jason. He’s out there in wash 14 right now..

Robert and Heather are heading out there today with me and will be staying.. we leave on Tuesday. Right bow I have my enclosed getting modified to tow it behind the motorhome without hitting the corners while turning (tongue extension) and am having to figure out how to put lights in a kids quad.. lol

fun stuff!

35304DBC-3606-4FDB-95B2-A59356A00A9B.jpeg
EC3EAAEF-323D-4417-AC94-3942469A21DA.jpeg
93C0AD0F-B92B-4B2F-960A-947950A54111.jpeg
1BED5D7E-BF70-4E5C-80C4-3A70BBB77C53.jpeg

Attachments

• 128D0396-FFF3-46B3-AFA4-93BFBD90C30C.jpeg
    128D0396-FFF3-46B3-AFA4-93BFBD90C30C.jpeg
    353.2 KB · Views: 120

Wizard29

43' Eliminator
Reaction score
Since 1992

So you should know that the problem is getting progressively worse over the years. I remember as far back as 1983 out there and getting a spot was never a problem. Granted, visitation has gone way, way up since then, but the ghost camping situation is becoming more prevalent, particularly within I'd say the last 15 years...due to the increase in visitation.

I talked to a guy once who did it. He didn't see what the problem was and it didn't even occur to him that he was preventing people from getting a spot on weekends he wasn't there. He didn't seem to care either.

I assume people who do the ghost camping thing all have the same attitude, so fuck them. The BLM needs to start towing those rigs and charging top dollar for reclaiming them. Any damage the rig get in the process is part of the deal. We should never just simply accept that's just what people are going to do and give them a pass on being a complete asshole.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Getting the the tongue extension done by competitive
446F301D-118A-4F25-9166-A642FF3C0699.jpeg

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
I will freely admit I have zero eye for the sand.. I can’t read the terrain, can’t see the little bump ups etc.. lol

Last time I was following Robert and I would watch his whips or his car and say ok somethjng is coming up, should he right about “boom!” Yep there it was.. lol. I don’t know why but it all looks the same to me and I can’t visually see the details..

I suspect it would probably get better with experience, but that whole place looks like chaos to me. No rhyme or reason to where anyone’s going or why.

I'm a follower on the dunes on bright days. I can't see the contours or Razorback or Witcheyes on sunny days. Snow Blindness. I've used limo tint goggles, polarized ski goggles, all the tricks - my eyes just don't adjust and see it. So I follow and also help anyone that breaks down. On overcast days, I'll gladly leed.

It's no place for guys that think they are Iron Man Stewart. They find out quickly they ain't and hopefully they don't take someone with them. That's pretty rare though.

I only do the washes if there is someone reliable there in the group to tow me in and out if we get stuck. As I will do for them and anyone else. Airing down Duallys helps but not always in the blow sand towing 22.000 lbs.
I have my tow and Yank Um straps at the ready when we get that knock at the RV door.
9zkEq4j.jpg

Last edited:

EmpirE231

Reaction score

That does sound dangerous lol.... were you duning around 12-1PM when the sun was at it's highest point? that is when no shadows are cast and it does make it a bit harder, as everything kinda has that white out effect. when you dune w/ someone who knows how to lead.... there definitely is a rhyme and reason to the direction you go..... the problem is the people that have no idea what they are doing cutting into your lines.... but we can usually spot those people from 5-6 dunes away and change direction before it becomes an issue.

Gelcoater

Reaction score

What are you using for eye-ware? Have you tried shooting lenses or some lense that magnified contrast? It can help a bunch.

On following, experiment with how tight you’re following. Too loose usually results in now the less experienced rider has to “read” too much, too tight and you’re eating sand😂

Another thing to consider is suspension tune. The right setting for the trail probably isn’t the right setting for the dunes, tire pressure too. At least, on my quads it is. You guys with the golf carts weigh more and have higher center mass. I’d think the settings would be more important?

jadenchick

Reaction score
Don't forget the arm/wrist restraints! My husband was in a bad accident in Ocotillo in 2018 and is still recovering from all of the injuries.

DWC

Reaction score
Glam is is off limits for us at work. Had two secretaries go out last weekend. They got covid, came to work, whole building and office got shut down. It sucks but I do like my job so I gotta do what I can.
Damn, I’m not even allowed to have lunch with people from work now.

BIGRED9158

Reaction score
I will be there wash 6 with the shredy crew come buy and have some beers if you see Wilkys bug

69hondo

Reaction score
I am one for the washes. I have never even attempted Gecko. We always have a big group so there really is no way we could all get a spot together up there. Been going to glamis since 92 and always the washes. I have a class A motorhome and pull a 24 ft enclosed. WE usually try to get as close to the dunes as possible. Only been stuck once. Its nice to be that close so we can grab the cooler and chairs and walk over to the dunes and watch the kids ride.

Screenshot_20201120-113858_Instagram.jpg
Screenshot_20201120-114028_Instagram.jpg
Screenshot_20201120-113754_Facebook.jpg
facebook_1567704363445.jpg
20190320_073335.jpg
Screenshot_20201120-114003_Instagram.jpg

Icky

Reaction score
I don't see how going to glamis is any different than traveling on planes, being on construction sites with 100s of people, or training people that have been who knows where.

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
I don't see how going to glamis is any different than traveling on planes, being on construction sites with 100s of people, or training people that have been who knows where.
I agree... I don’t know how me sitting in class with 20 apprentices is any safer than me enjoying dinner with my family of 20. I’m hoping the guys that are on their way out put up a fight for “us” that “can’t” or won’t.

SKIDMARC

Reaction score

COMMUNIST!!!

I don't think is a communist thing, its a business thing. You get 3 + cases and its considered and outbreak and you have to shut down operations., if you don't you can face huge fines. My company sent out a memo about going out of state you may have to quarantine for 14 days. It all depends on the circumstances. And what you tell your employer ;)

HB2Havasu

Reaction score

Couple things come to mind. 1. Try either some Polarized Sunglasses or Snow Goggles. They help A LOT!!! 2. Another thing is try to not ride mid-day (approx Noon to 3pm). When there are no shadows your depth perception (and mine, lol) is almost zero. I've actually ran into sand banks before that I didn't see until the last second riding at those hours. I actually prefer riding at night for this very reason.

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
Duning is an art, I am ok, but there is one guy in our group that is the master, even into the setting sun he can haul ass. We get in to a flow in the bigger dunes and hit speeds into the 80's and he can just string them all together effortlessly. I have done it, but its pretty stressful, ie taking a half dozen friends into a witch eye with you if you mess up.

EmpirE231

Reaction score
Duning is an art, I am ok, but there is one guy in our group that is the master, even into the setting sun he can haul ass. We get in to a flow in the bigger dunes and hit speeds into the 80's and he can just string them all together effortlessly. I have done it, but its pretty stressful, ie taking a half dozen friends into a witch eye with you if you mess up.

hahaha . perfect meme.... where you're going or what you're doing

1605907666794.png

Gelcoater

Reaction score
@RiverDave
The sunset cruise is something you could probably get into.
It’s one of my favorite options to the flat drags at sundown. We put all the kids on the quads and choose a random dune as the destination after riding for a while.
Find that perfect spot where we can all get off with an open view 360*, have a beverage of choice and watch the sun disappear. Cruise on back to camp and fire up the bbq👍
A76AC5A9-9497-4D82-A0CD-C57CD93AD369.png
D8549D28-86D4-461F-B969-E5119B32CA57.png
70A48324-D628-4BCD-A64F-9B9D665181B5.png

LowRiver2

Reaction score
That’s silly (policy)

Those infected had it up to two weeks prior.
Pretty hard to blame open desert for catching it unless social media pics show group partying ,
Lol

My wife was telling me 90%+ of nurses testing positive aren’t getting it from patient contact, rather from sitting close to each other , PPE off, during lunch breaks.
Common sense is a rare commodity

We now have LA co. Health nazis entering Police Stations that are closed to the public and trying to catch Cops with masks off inside the station

Our ststion denies acccess to everyone outside of the 65 in ESD.
They have to get escorted in, plenty of warning time, lol

Last edited:

Meaney77

Reaction score
Miss the Glamis days, we used to go a bunch. And we had a awesome spot by the aqueduct and never really had any issues getting it regardless of how busy it was or a holiday weekend. Times have changed we all have motorhomes now and its hard to access without 4 wheel drive so like everyone else we are pretty much married to Gecko.

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
That’s silly (policy)

Those infected had it up to two weeks prior.
Pretty hard to blame open desert for catching it unless social media pics show group partying ,
Lol

My wife was telling me 90%+ of nurses testing positive aren’t getting it from patient contact, rather from sitting close to each other , PPE off, during lunch breaks.
Common sense is a rare commodity

We now have LA co. Health nazis entering Police Stations that are closed to the public and trying to catch Cops with masks off inside the station

Our ststion denies acccess to everyone outside of the 65 in ESD.
They have to get escorted in, plenty of warning time, lol
That’s exactly the problem, social media and pictures show the big party. Fb and instagram are no good.

lavey jr

Reaction score
So you should know that the problem is getting progressively worse over the years. I remember as far back as 1983 out there and getting a spot was never a problem. Granted, visitation has gone way, way up since then, but the ghost camping situation is becoming more prevalent, particularly within I'd say the last 15 years...due to the increase in visitation.

I talked to a guy once who did it. He didn't see what the problem was and it didn't even occur to him that he was preventing people from getting a spot on weekends he wasn't there. He didn't seem to care either.

I assume people who do the ghost camping thing all have the same attitude, so fuck them. The BLM needs to start towing those rigs and charging top dollar for reclaiming them. Any damage the rig get in the process is part of the deal. We should never just simply accept that's just what people are going to do and give them a pass on being a complete asshole.

Yes, I agree the ghost camping has increased tremendously over the years. Yes, my words of “since the beginning of time” was a exaggerated. And yes, you have valid points regarding it all.

RVRKID

Reaction score
Couple things come to mind. 1. Try either some Polarized Sunglasses or Snow Goggles. They help A LOT!!! 2. Another thing is try to not ride mid-day (approx Noon to 3pm). When there are no shadows your depth perception (and mine, lol) is almost zero. I've actually ran into sand banks before that I didn't see until the last second riding at those hours. I actually prefer riding at night for this very reason.
We were on our last run in the dunes on a Sunday right around noon, looked like the dunes were flat until I went off about a 30' dune on my quad, 2 long travel buggies followed me off. That was not a good day, had to airlift one passenger who had compound fracture of his shin bone. 2 in the car behind them had knee injuries from no 5 pt.

TITTIES AND BEER

Honorary RDP Inmate #160 Emeritus - R.I.P. Mark 😢
Reaction score
Do have to lock everything together at night or re load the trailer due to thieves ?

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
I don't think is a communist thing, its a business thing. You get 3 + cases and its considered and outbreak and you have to shut down operations., if you don't you can face huge fines. My company sent out a memo about going out of state you may have to quarantine for 14 days. It all depends on the circumstances. And what you tell your employer ;)
I understand the business fine and issues...have to play by the book. My problem is the rules keep changing. Covid has something like a 99.8% recovery rate...in some jobs there's a .2% chance you can die just showing up to work.

I'm glad I have no employer to speak of, or a real job. I have an issue with doing the "smile and nod" when the circumstances are incredibly foolish.

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score

You should try the Gordon’s Well side. Those dunes are much more forgiving and after you’ve ridden them a few times it’ll click for you.

It’s not uncommon for people to feel like you do about Glamis. I recommend going to the other side and riding Gordon’s. Glamis will be much more comfortable after you do.

Hammer

Reaction score
You should try the Gordon’s Well side. Those dunes are much more forgiving and after you’ve ridden them a few times it’ll click for you.

It’s not uncommon for people to feel like you do about Glamis. I recommend going to the other side and riding Gordon’s. Glamis will be much more comfortable after you do.

Is that like off the 8 freeway?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zhandfull

Reaction score
Been probably ten years since I have been to Glamis. Going to head out tomorrow with the Moho and Jeep in tow. Friends are already there through the end of month. I will spend the weekend there then have to come back to work Monday through Wednesday. Will be back on Thanksgiving, the Moho is staying put through the 29th.