WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Anyone else scared to fly?

GRADS

Phishing license is paid up to date
Reaction score
Somewhere around the age of 20 I started to develop this phobia and now for some reason I am deathly afraid to fly. Before that I would fly all the time and actually enjoyed it. No bad experiences just woke up one day and didn't want to get near an airplane. I have flown twice in the last 20 years....once for my wife's 21st birthday....and once ten years ago when my Daytona popped out of the mold.

I realize it's an irrational fear....my brother even tells me all the time "you'll drive a boat over 100 mph but you won't get on an airplane???"

Well it looks l like I might have to get on a plane next month for a very good friends wedding:grumble: and I'm seriously shitting my pants. I'm even thinking of bailing on it.:(

Anyone have any ideas on how to conquer this fear?

rvrrun

Reaction score
I have friend with a similar phobia, the doc gave him meds to take before a trip and now he's like B.A. Barracas on the road (passenger, not driving).

ChevelleSB406

Reaction score
Somewhere around the age of 20 I started to develop this phobia and now for some reason I am deathly afraid to fly. Before that I would fly all the time and actually enjoyed it. No bad experiences just woke up one day and didn't want to get near an airplane. I have flown twice in the last 20 years....once for my wife's 21st birthday....and once ten years ago when my Daytona popped out of the mold.

I realize it's an irrational fear....my brother even tells me all the time "you'll drive a boat over 100 mph but you won't get on an airplane???"

Well it looks l like I might have to get on a plane next month for a very good friends wedding:grumble: and I'm seriously shitting my pants. I'm even thinking of bailing on it.:(

Anyone have any ideas on how to conquer this fear?

Booze!!!! But seriously though, I have had a few friends have success with hypnosis on phobias, my degree is in psychology and I still think its kind of bullshit, but intelligent like minded people that I know have had success. Even if its a placebo affect, its still an affect, you will be able to fly. Might be worth looking into.

GRADS

Reaction score
I have friend with a similar phobia, the doc gave him meds to take before a trip and now he's like B.A. Barracas on the road (passenger, not driving).

I was thinking about going to my doctor and asking for two pills. One for the trip up and one for the trip back. I'm not talking some low grade Xanax crap, I'm talking knock my dick in the dirt don't remember the flight pills.

dread Pirate

Reaction score
I don't mind and kinda like small planes, but I can't stand commercial airlines. I hit the bar and just deal when I have to fly.

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
Not at all scared of any size plane. Never have been.

That said the flying experience - sucks ass cubed.

I drive everywhere I can to avoid the experience.

Best way to conquer the fear is airport lounge first then business or first class - free drinks all flight long no or fewer Dbags.

UD

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
I was thinking about going to my doctor and asking for two pills. One for the trip up and one for the trip back. I'm not talking some low grade Xanax crap, I'm talking knock my dick in the dirt don't remember the flight pills.

AS the pilots put the sticks down, imagine yourself doing the same in your boat...Feel the rush, the sensation of torque and acceleration and the sweet Chine Walk across the ripples of air back and forth ......................................:cool

waterhorse

Reaction score

They won't let you on the plane if you're obviously F'd up.

79 HUSTLER

Reaction score
Yep absolutely can't stand to fly. Have to be wasted to get on the plane. 6:00 am does not matter I will be at the bar before hand. Spend the entire time watching stewardess' reactions every time the plane makes any movement. Never gonna fly over the damn ocean either, fuck that. But my dumbass wants my private license so I can fly and be in control of my own damn plane.

GRADS

Reaction score
Yep absolutely can't stand to fly. Have to be wasted to get on the plane. 6:00 am does not matter I will be at the bar before hand. Spend the entire time watching stewardess' reactions every time the plane makes any movement. Never gonna fly over the damn ocean either, fuck that. But my dumbass wants my private license so I can fly and be in control of my own damn plane.

Yep you nailed it, it's a control issue for me. I even thought about getting my license so that I could fly.

riverroyal

Reaction score
used to be on a plane twice a week, i had zero issues. That was years ago. actually being in a plane doesn't bother me. Its the being away from home and knowing I need a plane to get back that bothers me now. The worry about home stuff and the inability to handle it relying on a flight. I hate it!! Im the same with driving, I always drive. I think once I had kids this feeling showed up

dribble

Reaction score
Yes Grads I conquered it.

There is a book called Flying Without Fear. It is different then all the other books because it covers not only airline safety but more importantly the deep seated psychological reasons behind the fear. I learned how things in my childhood caused me to not trust and to always have to control. I learned about pre-flight anxiety and how to control it. Also about breathing techniques. Also made a point to do the first flights to somewhere fun. I went to the DR and got some Valium and used it a couple of times. Took it with me but never used it after that. A couple of months ago I was up in a 1968 Cessna with a buddy, slightly nervous but no problem. I bring my I pod and earphones. On one flight to Florida for a cruise I watched a two hour program about the crash into the Potomac. Didn't bother me a bit. In the past I couldn't even eat the day before a flight. Now I eat the crap they serve up on the plane.

Recently my boss wanted me to go with him to San Diego in a car and I said no Fn way, if I go I'm flying.

It can be done if you're committed. But it takes time and several fights to beat it. Also there is a Fear of Flying Clinic in San Francisco. You might look into that.

GRADS

Reaction score
Yes Grads I conquered it.

There is a book called Flying Without Fear. It is different then all the other books because it covers not only airline safety but more importantly the deep seated psychological reasons behind the fear. I learned how things in my childhood caused me to not trust and to always have to control. I learned about pre-flight anxiety and how to control it. Also about breathing techniques. Also made a point to do the first flights to somewhere fun. I went to the DR and got some Valium and used it a couple of times. Took it with me but never used it after that. A couple of months ago I was up in a 1968 Cessna with a buddy, slightly nervous but no problem. I bring my I pod and earphones. On one flight to Florida for a cruise I watched a two hour program about the crash into the Potomac. Didn't bother me a bit. In the past I couldn't even eat the day before a flight. Now I eat the crap they serve up on the plane.

Recently my boss wanted me to go with him to San Diego in a car and I said no Fn way, if I go I'm flying.

It can be done if you're committed. But it takes time and several fights to beat it. Also there is a Fear of Flying Clinic in San Francisco. You might look into that.

Thank you, this is the kind of response I was looking for. I'm going to order the book off of Amazon right now.:thumbup:

getreal

Reaction score
My Grandfather told me a story:

He had a friend that was afraid to fly so he never went anywhere (far away).
One day he decided to take a trip to Florida but he was going by train.
Half way there he was killed.
There was a plane crash.
The plane crashed into the train.

bk2drvr

Reaction score
I've been through this whole cycle. When I was very young I had no fear of flying. At about 20 years old I became deathly afraid of it. I felt helpless and out of control sitting back there and every bump and landing I would have anxiety like you can't imagine. Fast forward a few years and I'm a road warrior for the company I work for. It was difficult in the beginning but now it's not a big deal.

I think it's scary for people that don't fly a lot because you aren't used to it. You don't know that bumps in the air or hard landings are normal and safe. The best advice I can give you is if you start to panic because the ride gets bumpy or coming in for a landing has the plane moving a bit just remember its totally normal. Also the staggering statics of air travel safety in the country should be comfort alone. I'm on an airplane every other week and have been for the past 15 years. I would classify most of my flights as smooth and uneventful. :thumbup:

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
I've never been on a commercial airliner & have no plans of ever doing it. My friends have told me they would do a short flight to Vegas with me & if I'm completely freaked out, we can rent a car & drive home, but I just don't want to risk it.

Statistically speaking you are in far more danger driving to, and cabbing from the airport.

Way more.

If you are a numbers guy- you fly every time.

UD

jetboatperformance

Reaction score
Havent flown since Boot camp in the 70's and have no burning desire to do so...

DaytonaBabe

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I used to be afraid, but I'm not anymore. If the plane goes down, just make sure I don't limp away from it - take'r dowwwwn!! The way I figure, if I'm on a plane that goes down, at least I don't have to go to work the following Monday. :D

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Ive been hearing that for years. It doesn't change my perspective on flying. If something goes wrong in my car, I simply pull off the freeway & call AAA.

So your fear is of mechanical failure and not so much the flying part itself??

Singleton

Reaction score
For the past 15 years I have averaged 60 flights per year. Last year I had 126 flight segments, so I thought flying was easy. That all changed last year on a flight from Dallas to St. Louis. I had a window seat on an American Airlines Airbus 318 (old US Airways plane with no legroom) and the guy in the middle seat was bigger then the seat. I went full panic mode and thought I was trapped (actually was since the guy pushed me against the window and I could not move). I ended up getting up and the flight attendant said that took longer then they thought. They moved me to another middle seat that was open and I finally calmed down. That 1 flight has caused to be claustrophobic now on flights. So I can only fly in isle seats now and still get claustrophobic if someone large sits next to me.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Both, I guess. If something breaks when I'm driving I simply pull over & call for help. If something breaks that high up in the sky??? Then what? Nope! No thanks... I'll drive to Vegas... I'm not getting on a plane, ever.
Lol...In theory, the Titanic was a great idea too.
In general I love flying, I'm like a kid in a candy store with my face smashed to the windows to see whats below. However, I have come to not enjoy the commercial take offs/landings as I once did......I have let that thought of mechanical failure in those instances into my head.

530RL

Reaction score
[video=youtube;GI-MQhPJw1o]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GI-MQhPJw1o[/video]

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
AS the pilots put the sticks down, imagine yourself doing the same in your boat...Feel the rush, the sensation of torque and acceleration and the sweet Chine Walk across the ripples of air back and forth ......................................:cool

I was gonna vote for this ^^^

Pussy....go get a mani/pedi and suck it up buttercup. :D

But I think I'm gonna change my vote to this ^^^

:D

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Both, I guess. If something breaks when I'm driving I simply pull over & call for help. If something breaks that high up in the sky??? Then what? Nope! No thanks... I'll drive to Vegas... I'm not getting on a plane, ever.

You can just as easily die from a mechanical failure in a car. It is more likely in fact that you will die from a mechanical failure in a car than a mechanical failure in a plane.

bk2drvr

Reaction score
You can just as easily die from a mechanical failure in a car. It is more likely in fact that you will die from a mechanical failure in a car than a mechanical failure in a plane.

Most airplane crashes are due to pilot error. If you are going to worry about crashing worry about the pilot, not the machine.

Yellowboat

Reaction score
the only thing I hate about flying is dealing with all the crap to actually get on the plane.

I am kind of spoiled, growing up with relatives that always had private planes, I got real use to flying. nothing like making a trip in 6 hours that would take you 2 days to drive.

FreeBird236

Reaction score
For me it's not the flight, it's being locked in the plane and no way to get until it lands. I figure if it's a 1 to 2 hour flight and I freak I'll be able to handle that, would never want to take a 12 to 20 hr flight.:yikes

Have taken a few 5hr. flights with mild meds.:D

jetboatperformance

Reaction score
had a regular boat customer, we once him caught sneaking around our parking lot one time hiding behind trees and peaking at us like a ninja , Single dingy VERY eccentric dude , come to find out He was a Commuter Air Pilot, ...... can only Imagine setting on a commuter plane ready for take off and hearing "Hello this is your Pilot Charles Smith " ...... " I'd be bailing off the emergency chute

milkmoney

Reaction score
Pussy....go get a mani/pedi and suck it up buttercup. :D

Exactly what I was going to say. Although I wouldn't call him buttercup.

Jus hope your not sitting next to the guy , that it's his time to die in a plane crash. [emoji202]

R u for fucking real. It's not like being thrown in a cage of tigers and ur on ur period. [emoji107][emoji107][emoji107]

Andy01

Reaction score
Interesting thread. I just renewed my FAA Medical this am. As a pilot you learn a lot about the planes you fly, fly in, and around. There is no reason to fear flying commercially. There are 100's of thousands of flights every single day. If your not comfortable, get shit housed at the bar. That makes it more fun, just don't get to shit housed......... and go RDP GRADS on them.

Andy01

Reaction score
That 1 flight has caused to be claustrophobic now on flights. So I can only fly in isle seats now and still get claustrophobic if someone large sits next to me.

I always sit isle now, I'm over the window seat. Isle has way more room and I can get up if I want to.

JD D05

Reaction score
I really struggle flying myself. Booze use to help a lot but I don't drink now due to medical reasons so that is out. It is the rough air that gets me. I was just on a flight a couple weeks ago form LA to SLC and the sudden drops and altitude increases had shit rolling up and down the aisle's. I had to get on a plane 2 hours later on the same path...called my company and said phuck off I am not going but I did Ha. My brother in law was a Delta pilot and had his plane drop so fast it broke his back and many passenger had seizures etc. He was able to land it but never flew again. My other friend is a plane mechanic and always tells me how big of a piece of shit this is and that is makes me want to punch him. When I have a flight now I am looking at my phone to see what the weather will be that day, I will try and schedule flights that are close on nice days.

Flying out of Queenstown New Z is rough weaving through mountain tops and hitting crosswinds GOD!

snafu

Reaction score
Have only flown about a dozen times. It's the thought of being locked in a metal tube doing 600 mph at 30000 ft, and if it goes south you'll have about 60 seconds to contemplate the meaning of life before you disintegrate.

Every time I think about flying there is an air disaster reported in the news or an incident involving a plane reported in the news. I know statistically it's safer then driving but for now I'll drive.

Bucket list involves seeing Europe...........i'll take the boat over and back I guess.......as long as it's not named Titanic.

blacksockdown

Banned
Reaction score
[video=youtube;WHOE4UfoimY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHOE4UfoimY[/video]

Jefftowz

Formerly Old School Ultra
Reaction score
xanax

:thumbup:

I flew on 09/09/01 from Sacramento to Burbank, Since then up until last month haven't flown, As I've gotten older I've become a little claustrophobic, no more back seats, sitting in a crowded restaurant booth not on the end, crowded eleavators would mess me up, Started talking my through these situations and last month I flew to Houston, took a 1mg Xanax a hour before the flight, had a isle seat and no problems other being looped on Xanax.

72Hondo

Reaction score
Food for thought;

You'll be the last to find out if something is going wrong with the airplane or in the Flight Deck.

More often than not, the airplane your flying on has something broken but it's written off as not needed or must fix in XX days or hours.

There's ton's more but I'll let you chew on that for a while. [emoji51]

ltbaney1

Reaction score
I hate to fly...saying that, I just flew back from Chicago this morning. I was that guy puking his brains out just outside of baggage claim when we landed. Felt fine most of the flight, hit turbulence over Colorado and it didn't stop. My nerves were so fried I was shaking getting off the plane. Did just fine going there..... It will be while before I get on a plane again.

Singleton

Reaction score
I always sit isle now, I'm over the window seat. Isle has way more room and I can get up if I want to.

I have conditioned myself to sleeping on planes so I usually take window seats on longer flights. I dislike people waking me up.