WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Anyone else scared to fly?

JB in so cal

Reaction score
What's the last thing that goes through your head in a plane crash? You ass!

Seriously, the pilots wanna get to where you're going just as much as you do. It's much safer to fly than just about any other form of transport. My dad flew 16,000 hours and only had one incident-one wheel landing during ww2-

Besides,the pilots aren't really flying anyway...

Now I hate to fly because 6'3" doesn't do a commercial seat very well lol

TEBBY

Reaction score
A plane ride??

I'm afraid of having burying one of my kids before I die. I'm afraid of one day having to jump from a high rise fire because it's the better of the two options. I'm afraid of the day that men of this country aren't men anymore...

Excuse me for saying, but for an Internet tough guy, your kind of a pussy...

Perhaps putting things in perspective will lessen your fear.

Respectfully,

Rob

GRADS

Phishing license is paid up to date
Reaction score
A plane ride??

I'm afraid of having burying one of my kids before I die. I'm afraid of one day having to jump from a high rise fire because it's the better of the two options. I'm afraid of the day that men of this country aren't men anymore...

Excuse me for saying, but for an Internet tough guy, your kind of a pussy...

Perhaps putting things in perspective will lessen your fear.

Respectfully,

Rob

Everyone's got their phobias....this is mine.

shan

Reaction score
Somewhere around the age of 20 I started to develop this phobia and now for some reason I am deathly afraid to fly. Before that I would fly all the time and actually enjoyed it. No bad experiences just woke up one day and didn't want to get near an airplane. I have flown twice in the last 20 years....once for my wife's 21st birthday....and once ten years ago when my Daytona popped out of the mold.

I realize it's an irrational fear....my brother even tells me all the time "you'll drive a boat over 100 mph but you won't get on an airplane???"

Well it looks l like I might have to get on a plane next month for a very good friends wedding:grumble: and I'm seriously shitting my pants. I'm even thinking of bailing on it.:(

Anyone have any ideas on how to conquer this fear?

I can't help you. I don't like it either. Previously it didn't bother me, but it does now. Not sure why. I'm always happy when I feel the wheels hit the ground.

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score
... Love the take off,...love the landing... Love take off because the G force reminds me of driving the front motored fueler ...the landing reminds me of when your parachute on the fueler didn't open and you 're pullining on the brake lever and the back wheels are bouncing... The flight itself,...I love the stale peanuts that Southwest gives you...:yikes

GRADS

Reaction score
Got this in the mail today....thanks dribble.:thumbup:

IMG_8799.jpg

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
When I first started flying regularly in the oilfield I would get apprehensive.
But over a short time I became indifferent. Now I am asleep before takeoff and usually wake up when the wheels hit.

But when I had my DoD job in Alaska we had to fly on twin engine small craft to remote sites. THAT was the most scared I've ever been flying.
Me and a coworker ( A big tough guy older than me) were literally crying on one flight to Cape Romanzof, we thought for sure it was the end.
I quit that job because of those flights.

But years off flying into Prudhoe Bay on the BP charter 737, landing sideways in 60 MPH crosswinds in 100% whiteout conditions on a frozen gravel strip kind of makes every other flight seem mundane.

On a sidenote my stepson will not fly. He boycotted our last trip to Hawaii because of it...He rides Amtrack to go see family.

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
A few years ago I flew from Lambert St Louis to LAX. When we landed I waited with my Dad for most to exit then we got up. There were 2 attendants standing by a seat with no one in it. As we walked by I saw that there was a guy curled up in the fetal position on the floor. I guess we landed with him like that. Funny thing was, as we walked by, I backed up and looked and the guy and the attendant asked me to keep moving, but I said "Mike?" with out thinking. Turns out it was a guy I went to school with and hadn't seen in 25 years.:yikes

GRADS

Reaction score
So I'm supposed to fly tomorrow AM. I put the chances at 20/80 20 Ill go 80 I won't. It has been eating at me for two weeks. To the point you don't even know. I've been a miserable, negative SOB the last couple weeks. And I apologize.

Thanks dribble, I read the book you suggested and it helped but I'm still freaking out.

I guess we'll see what happens tomorrow morning. If I don't get on the plane I will feel like a failure and be extremely disappointed in myself.:cry:

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score
... Don't you think kayaking is more dangerous than flying what if you were to smack yourself in the face with the paddle and chip a tooth or break a nose...:yikes

milkmoney

Reaction score
Really ???? I believe it is for ur friends wedding , not sure of the location , if you are that much of a pussy maybe you should of started driving a couple days ago to be at ur friends wedding.

In reality , the only way to overcome ur fear is to go do what ever the fear is.

Icky

Reaction score
Drink alcohol and pass out before the plane takes off, it's not like u can change anything once your in the air.:)

dribble

Reaction score
So I'm supposed to fly tomorrow AM. I put the chances at 20/80 20 Ill go 80 I won't. It has been eating at me for two weeks. To the point you don't even know. I've been a miserable, negative SOB the last couple weeks. And I apologize.

Thanks dribble, I read the book you suggested and it helped but I'm still freaking out.

I guess we'll see what happens tomorrow morning. If I don't get on the plane I will feel like a failure and be extremely disappointed in myself.:cry:

I hope you go through with it. One thing I used to do was rate myself after every flight on a scale of 1-10. I went from always rating myself a 3 and progressed to 8 or 9. I don't think I'll ever get a 10 (zero fear) but I can certainly live with how far I've come. Took about five years of flying 2-3 times a year to get that far.

JBS

Reaction score
Think about it this way. You never fly so odds are totally in your favor.

I have flown a ton the last couple of years. Never had a fear of flying. In fact grew up with my dad being a private pilot and we had a plane. Not totally sure what's going through my mind but I have thoughts that maybe the odds could be shifting. Probably just the fact I have a 2 yo and a younger wife who is my life. Can't bear to think about leaving them

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
Ya pussy! The first time I was in a plane I jumped out of it! I was able to say that I had taken off in an airplane but never landed for a good 3 years before I actually made a complete flught. The looks on people's faces was hilarious.

So I'm betting you're really afraid of flying because you aren't in control and are relying on total strangers for your safety (I don't want to go back and read all 7 pages)?

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score
... Don't do anything that might cause you to get you arrested on the flight,...unless of course you feel it might be entertaining to the forums ???...

pcrussell50

Reaction score
My dad was a fighter pilot. I'm an airline pilot. My brother is scared every time he flies*. Go figure... Phobias are a definitely an interesting thing. I don't belittle your situation, and I hope it works out. Let us know.

*He's not deathly afraid, but definitely a white-knuckler. And he's a road warrior too, so he flies a lot. Bastard even white-knuckles when I'm the one flying ;)

Lol...In theory, the Titanic was a great idea too.
In general I love flying, I'm like a kid in a candy store with my face smashed to the windows to see whats below. However, I have come to not enjoy the commercial take offs/landings as I once did......I have let that thought of mechanical failure in those instances into my head.

There is much much much mechanical redundcancy in a jet liner. Three separate hydraulic systems, any one of which can operate all the critical flight controls. Twin engine jet liners can not only fly on one engine, they can TAKE OFF on one engine, if the other fails at the worst possible time, which is when you are are still on the ground, but going too fast to stop in the remaining runway. AND on top of that, we train for that scenario all the time, in hyper-realistic simulators. Other redundancies you have to be a genius to think of... yet they have.

But this is a phobia we are talking about and almost by definition, phobias are not rational, (even if the people that suffer them are perfectly rational).

-Peter

GRADS

Reaction score
Well, I did it. I'm in Seattle right now...actually by Lake Chelan. It wasn't easy and I wasn't sure I was even going until they closed the door on the plane. I'm not gonna lie, the takeoff got the best of me and I think I even shed a few tears. But I did it. This was my worst fear in life and at least for today I beat it.👍

pcrussell50

Reaction score
Well, I did it. I'm in Seattle right now...actually by Lake Chelan. It wasn't easy and I wasn't sure I was even going until they closed the door on the plane. I'm not gonna lie, the takeoff got the best of me and I think I even shed a few tears. But I did it. This was my worst fear in life and at least for today I beat it.

Great that you pulled through for your friend. If that's you in the black hoodie, you're on my airline. We have never had a fatal crash in 45 years. While I can't pretend that I have any expertise in dealing with phobias, I can answer a lot about airline flying from the perspective of the the guy in front. Let me know if I can help. PM if you like.

-Peter

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
Great that you pulled through for your friend. If that's you in the black hoodie, you're on my airline. We have never had a fatal crash in 45 years. While I can't pretend that I have any expertise in dealing with phobias, I can answer a lot about airline flying from the perspective of the the guy in front. Let me know if I can help. PM if you like.

-Peter
GRADS is FAR beyond help. Lol!

milkmoney

Reaction score
Well there you go you made it with no problems.

Glad you did it. It will get easier every time....

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Absolutely terrified of flying.. I hate it, but just suck it up every time when I do it and say "I had a good life.. Better then most." I'm embarrassed to say it but I usually hide some chicken scratch will in my tool box before I fly. :D.

That said I grew up flying in small planes.. They don't bother me near as much as an airliner. Strangely since I was a kid I have had this reoccurring thought that I was going to die in an airliner that was high jacked by terrorists.. This is essay before 9/11. After 9/11 I pretty much get shithoused to even get on a plane.

I had to fly to China once.. There was this kid that was about 12 and he kept grabbing the red handle and trying to open the door to the plane. That escalated quickly.. Lol.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
My dad was a fighter pilot. I'm an airline pilot. My brother is scared every time he flies*. Go figure... Phobias are a definitely an interesting thing. I don't belittle your situation, and I hope it works out. Let us know.

*He's not deathly afraid, but definitely a white-knuckler. And he's a road warrior too, so he flies a lot. Bastard even white-knuckles when I'm the one flying ;)

There is much much much mechanical redundcancy in a jet liner. Three separate hydraulic systems, any one of which can operate all the critical flight controls. Twin engine jet liners can not only fly on one engine, they can TAKE OFF on one engine, if the other fails at the worst possible time, which is when you are are still on the ground, but going too fast to stop in the remaining runway. AND on top of that, we train for that scenario all the time, in hyper-realistic simulators. Other redundancies you have to be a genius to think of... yet they have.

But this is a phobia we are talking about and almost by definition, phobias are not rational, (even if the people that suffer them are perfectly rational).

-Peter
I have some awareness of the redundancies in airliners, that's not what really crosses my mind........it's mechanical issues due to incorrect service/repairs.......or a simple mistake, human error, etc.
Had a neighbor growing up that took me flying with him. Good pilot, did loops, stalls, stalls and all the fun stuff. Hooked me.
At 20 life took over and my path was fatherhood and a job.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
I had to fly to China once.. There was this kid that was about 12 and he kept grabbing the red handle and trying to open the door to the plane. That escalated quickly.. Lol.

Considering the literary masterpiece a single visit to China Buffet rewarded us with, you need to share what hellish power you conjured-up after eating actual Chinese food from China LOL

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
My friends and I were drinking beer sitting on a buddies driveway below the flight path of Van Nuys airport when a 4 seat Cessna hit nose first on the lawn across the street. Lawn dart, drilled it.
4 bodies blew out and were smashed all over the lawn and the home.
I'll never forget that.
A numb, sick feeling.

Next year my dad and his partners bought the new Cessna P210 and I got over it.
Went in the Marines and we flew everywhere.
A safe way to travel IMHO.

napanutt

Connoisseur
Reaction score
My friends and I were drinking beer sitting on a buddies driveway below the flight path of Van Nuys airport when a 4 seat Cessna hit nose first on the lawn across the street. Lawn dart, drilled it.
4 bodies blew out and were smashed all over the lawn and the home.
I'll never forget that.
A numb, sick feeling.

Next year my dad and his partners bought the new Cessna P210 and I got over it.
Went in the Marines and we flew everywhere.
A safe way to travel IMHO.

Gonna have to copy and paste to make sure grads sees this before his flight home just because. [emoji23]

squirtnmyload

now its recording
Reaction score
I used to be scared of flying. Two things that broke my fear was flying in small planes on check rides with friends while living in Prescott. Made many of flights to Needles in a 172 and did alot of dumb things in the air over Parker.

The second thing was listening to the "from the flight deck" channel on united airlines. (Pre 9-11). At the time, If it wasn't united, i wasn't going.

Now a days, i have no problems flying. And i fly Allegiant Airlines often so thats saying something :D

pcrussell50

Reaction score
I have some awareness of the redundancies in airliners, that's not what really crosses my mind........it's mechanical issues due to incorrect service/repairs.......or a simple mistake, human error, etc.

Even then... There are very few mistakes a mechanic can make that can cause a crash. The redundant systems AND the way we operate, checking critical systems before flight,... There are layer upon layer of safety nets. Almost nothing gets through to where it hurts somebody. Commercial air crashes in the modern era are so rare, that each one is a singular event, caused by a chain of unlikely events that all happen to break a certain way. No one screwup ever causes a crash in the modern era, it takes a stackup of them, each one increasingly unlikely. Commercial jet travel is extraordinarily complex, no doubt: while you're cozy in the cabin, you're really in an environment so hellish and hostile, it might as well be space. Sometimes, you're in the stratosphere. The air is so thin at 41,000 feet you would have less than 10 seconds before you black out, even if you can hold your breath for minutes. And you would still die, because there isn't enough air to stay alive even if you're sleeping. At 550mph, the air blast would tear the flesh right off your bones. It's 60 below zero, even in the middle of summer over the Mojave Desert where it's 115degF. Engines making the equivalent of tens of thousands of hosepower, the strain that alone puts on an airframe. If you've ever done construction, imagine those kind of temperature variations happening multiple times a day to a wood framed or wood floored house? And stuff does go wrong. Of course it does. More than you know. BUT... Once again, a combination of the redundancy of mechanical systems, and the checking and monitoring of the serious stuff works. It stops any single failure from progressing and getting worse. In metal and plastics, it's stop-drilling a crack so it doesn't grow any more.

It all adds up to making commercial air travel hugely safe, even with all the power, speed, heat, cold, thin air, all of it. But the rational you, already knows this. Remember, we are talking about phobias here.

BTW, I've got six and a two year old little girls. Being their daddy got me to quit racing my car, so I fully understand. I don't know if I can still take turn 9 at Willow springs as fast as I used to, because of it... That and one day a guy I was racing with took that turn too fast because he knew I was going to pass him on the straightaway, and crashed. He was life flighted out. He didn't survive the night. Thankfully, I barely knew him. But I've never forgotten.

-Peter

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
The fears I experience are more about my overactive imagination, not real possibilities. Silly "what ifs"......probably learned from my wife. Lol.
I'd love to reserve the seats they have talked about that have a bubble windscreen protruding above the fuselage. [emoji106] [emoji106]
Turn 6 at Riverside was a fun one[emoji106]

FROGMAN524

Reaction score
I'll say this, never fly when sick especially with a head cold because your sinuses will make you feel like you've been stabbed in the head upon landing.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
As stupid as it sounds that pic raised the hairs on the back of my neck. Lol

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
The fears I experience are more about my overactive imagination, not real possibilities. Silly "what ifs"......probably learned from my wife. Lol.
I'd love to reserve the seats they have talked about that have a bubble windscreen protruding above the fuselage. [emoji106] [emoji106]
Turn 6 at Riverside was a fun one[emoji106]

Well Ziggy rest easy knowing we have never left one up there yet. :D

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
Absolutely terrified of flying.. I hate it, but just suck it up every time when I do it and say "I had a good life.. Better then most." I'm embarrassed to say it but I usually hide some chicken scratch will in my tool box before I fly. :D.

That said I grew up flying in small planes.. They don't bother me near as much as an airliner. Strangely since I was a kid I have had this reoccurring thought that I was going to die in an airliner that was high jacked by terrorists.. This is essay before 9/11. After 9/11 I pretty much get shithoused to even get on a plane.

Yeah...we know...:eek:):)

7esury5y-1.jpg

Rvrluvr

CLAMP ON RACING
Reaction score
Know the difference between an airplane and a boat?

Airplanes always return to the surface:cool

Paul65k

Schiada Baby.......Yeah!!
Reaction score
Even then... There are very few mistakes a mechanic can make that can cause a crash. The redundant systems AND the way we operate, checking critical systems before flight,... There are layer upon layer of safety nets. Almost nothing gets through to where it hurts somebody. Commercial air crashes in the modern era are so rare, that each one is a singular event, caused by a chain of unlikely events that all happen to break a certain way. No one screwup ever causes a crash in the modern era, it takes a stackup of them, each one increasingly unlikely. Commercial jet travel is extraordinarily complex, no doubt: while you're cozy in the cabin, you're really in an environment so hellish and hostile, it might as well be space. Sometimes, you're in the stratosphere. The air is so thin at 41,000 feet you would have less than 10 seconds before you black out, even if you can hold your breath for minutes. And you would still die, because there isn't enough air to stay alive even if you're sleeping. At 550mph, the air blast would tear the flesh right off your bones. It's 60 below zero, even in the middle of summer over the Mojave Desert where it's 115degF. Engines making the equivalent of tens of thousands of hosepower, the strain that alone puts on an airframe. If you've ever done construction, imagine those kind of temperature variations happening multiple times a day to a wood framed or wood floored house? And stuff does go wrong. Of course it does. More than you know. BUT... Once again, a combination of the redundancy of mechanical systems, and the checking and monitoring of the serious stuff works. It stops any single failure from progressing and getting worse. In metal and plastics, it's stop-drilling a crack so it doesn't grow any more.

It all adds up to making commercial air travel hugely safe, even with all the power, speed, heat, cold, thin air, all of it. But the rational you, already knows this. Remember, we are talking about phobias here.

BTW, I've got six and a two year old little girls. Being their daddy got me to quit racing my car, so I fully understand. I don't know if I can still take turn 9 at Willow springs as fast as I used to, because of it... That and one day a guy I was racing with took that turn too fast because he knew I was going to pass him on the straightaway, and crashed. He was life flighted out. He didn't survive the night. Thankfully, I barely knew him. But I've never forgotten.

-Peter
Mostly true but not 100% accurate..........the case in point is the DC10 crash at N. Sioux City SD in the mid 90's as flown by Capt. Al Baines.......a true hero in my mind. Basically the engine in the tail of the DC10 he was flying failed resulting in it coming apart and taking out all 3 completely independent and redundant hydraulic systems which unfortunately all happened to be routed through the same part of the empanage (tail section) of the plane and were all destroyed when the engine came apart. Captain Al and his crew did a masterful job of controlling the airplane with only differential thrust on the 2 remaining engines and were able to get the plane (almost miraculously) to the airport and on the ground in what resulted in a controlled crash but............saving many lives even though the death toll was in excess of 100 there were a similar number of folks were able to go home to their families........miraculous :thumbsup:thumbsup:thumbsup

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score
[

-Peter[/QUOTE]

...This brings back a haunting memory...Driving a Fueler one night at Long Beach,...I was qualifying next to a guy I had met the week before...I looked over to my left and watched him vere left and hit a light standard...He too did not survive...Things you just don't forget???...

pcrussell50

Reaction score
Mostly true but not 100% accurate..........the case in point is the DC10 crash at N. Sioux City SD in the mid 90's as flown by Capt. Al Baines.......a true hero in my mind.

It was Al Haynes, mate. Not Baines. But yes, full agreement. His incident was the model used for the formation of the modern thinking in crew coordination. Every one of us in this business has studied how he managed the other pilots helping him on the flight deck, in our training classes.

-Peter

max930

Reaction score
I'm not afraid of flying. Its just like being in a car or boat. I don't like airport security, I also hate flying to the U.S, from Canada. Pretty much all commercial Canadian airports and even passenger boats and trains. Well they have U.S. Customs in them. U.S. Customs has a liability waiver from prosecution by Canadian courts. They have full police powers inside Canada. They don't have to abide by the Canadian or U.S. Constitution. O.k. they don't abuse their powers per say and they call in the RCMP if they arrest you. Its just they tend to be extra dick head when dealing with you. The procedure here, is check in at counter, take bag over to scanner, then go through security. Security can be dicks and its usually slow. After security, you are further questioned and checked by U.S. Customs. Its like going through two security check points feet apart! Pre 911 it was just U.S. Customs and a metal detector.

Also hate people. Unless its a hot chick, I don't want to sat next to some fat dude or old lady with too much shitty perfume on. No offense to parents. But I hate kids unless they are relatives or friends kids. Sure I'll let them use my pool, etc. But in general I don't want to hear kids. I'm really pissed off that here in BC and in Washington State, if a bar serves food kids can on the premises until 10pm. At least I still have strip joints! When I go out want a kid free environment. I don't want to hear a fussy baby or two year old. I digress, nothing worse then antsy fussy kids on a plane! Lastly I hate useless chit chat. I absolutely hate when the person next to me starts talking. Even hot chicks can annoy me when they start chatting away. I hate meaningless small talk. I only get my haircut from chicks. I avoid getting my haircut as long as possible because I hate chit chatting with the stylist. I once had a semi hot chick start talking she was mentioning all these movies she liked. She was calling TV shows movies. I like hot chicks, but I don't like them dumb as a box of rocks! A bar, restaurant, on the street, etc. you can politely escape. A plane you are fucking trapped!

Id much rather drive its less annoying. This is why I mainly stay on the west coast and Vegas, Havasu and Phoenix. Can get to them all in around 24hrs by car, not bad. Miami, etc. Its a long flight. 9 times out of 10 its not a direct flight. Means fly Vancouver to Dallas, smoke break in Dallas, more security then to Miami. Fuck that!