WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Anyone Ever Take Amboy Road?

Desert Whaler

Reaction score
I'm always looking for different routes to go to and from the river, especially in the cooler months. . . just to see something different .
I was looking at Amboy Rd where it cuts between the 40 and the 62 as a possible side-route. Looks interesting.
Not looking to save any time etc. . . . I f'ing hate the Cajon Pass however, LOL. .

Groper

Reaction score
Yes, years ago when a tanker crashed and exploded on the 40 west of Ludlow we made a u-turn and went back through Amboy it's worth the drive ONCE imo there was and old phone booth and a abandoned Hotel as well as a few Borax Mines.

c_land

Reaction score
Amboy road is closed :cool:

Well not Amboy rd, but route 66 is closed between Kelbaker rd and I-40. Just east of Amboy you'll have to take kelbaker to the 40 go around the closure. Not a big deal, but not as cool of a drive.

It's been closed for almost 6 years now since a storm washed out some old south of Essex. SB county has decided to rehab all the old bridges now. It is still physically passable on 66 east of Kelbaker in fair weather, there are dirt construction roads that go around all of the bridges..... and I'm sure there is risk of a nice sized ticket.

I wish they would hurry up with that project, there wasn't any sign of starting construction out there last June. No equipment or any other activity.

old rigger

Reaction score
Yes, years ago when a tanker crashed and exploded on the 40 west of Ludlow we made a u-turn and went back through Amboy it's worth the drive ONCE imo there was and old phone booth and a abandoned Hotel as well as a few Borax Mines.

All the time in the '60s going to Bullhead. There weren't many ways to get there back in the day.

ka0tyk

Warlock Performance Boats Merchandise Connections
Reaction score
we were gonna check out the amboy salt flats. looks pretty cool from teh pix. i imagine it'd be neat for all of 30 minutes though for the kids.

salt-evaporation-ponds-of-amboy-california-amboy-salt-flats-picture-id1254292887

Universal Elements

Reaction score
The only thing that sux if you're coming back to the IE on Holiday weekends (Sundays), you’ll be sitting in traffic on the 10 (Whitewater to Beaumont) for way over an hour. Whatever you do, don’t take the side road. It looks good at first, but way worse later on.

Universal Elements

Reaction score
we were gonna check out the amboy salt flats. looks pretty cool from teh pix. i imagine it'd be neat for all of 30 minutes though for the kids.

salt-evaporation-ponds-of-amboy-california-amboy-salt-flats-picture-id1254292887

I always want to stop there. It’s right off the road. Hey, by the way, any new videos on the bus build? 👍

redone76

Reaction score
The only thing that sux if you're coming back to the IE on Holiday weekends (Sundays), you’ll be sitting in traffic on the 10 (Whitewater to Beaumont) for way over an hour. Whatever you do, don’t take the side road. It looks good at first, but way worse later on.
Coming home from Parker yesterday the traffic was crap from Beaumont into Yucaipa. This was mid-day

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score

What he said. Extra emphasis on the ONCE.

Your ad here

Reaction score
I did it once. It's cool to see the old stuff along the drive but it just adds time. It takes awhile to get into 29 Palms then you still have another 2-1/2 to 3 hours to South Orange County.

Hypnautic

Reaction score
Good to know the alternate roads between OC and Vegas or OC and river.
About two years ago I was able to drive home to Vegas when Hollaran summit was closed due to snow. Took me though Ivanpah, Cima... those who do not know turned around and sat in Baker for 6+ hours.
Take the alt routes when you have time and weather is good so when traffic or weather is bad you will have some idea what to expect.

Rondog4405

Reaction score
Took it once heading home from Laughlin.. took it into 29 palms. Didnt mind it at all.. I fn hate that stretch of the 40. Seems like a eternity from needles to barstow.

dirtslinger2

Reaction score
I take 66 from Topock to So Cal (Torrance) about once every 4 trips just to break up the monotony, or if I'm going to stop by friends who have places in Joshua Tree.
From Mountain Springs Rd. Exit off of the 40, everything will tell you 66 is closed. It is not. A lot of the bridges are washed out, but there are very nice bypasses around them (a Honda Civic could drive them), and they are short. Last time through there, about 1 month ago, they are actually finally working on the bridges, and getting them restored. On the 66, you'll hit Amboy, and can either stay on 66 to Ludlow, or take a left at Amboy on to the 62 thru the salt evaporation ponds and then into Wonder Valley. In Wonder Valley, if you take a notice, all of the homes are built on the same exact home foundation, even though quite a few have been added onto, you'll still see the original architect of these tiny homes. These were all Homesteaded properties sold to full or part time residents during the 1930's. for $10-$20 an acre, but most people abandoned them because of water an weather. Once into 29 palms, its just time for traffic.

Hope this was helpful, I absolutely love driving directions to different destinations and then learning about what in the "F" I'm looking at. I think I've driven from So Cal to Topock about 10 different ways.

badgas

Reaction score
Not since the late 80's when I was 18

I remember going from a friends house in Needles to my parents condo in Palm Desert. That was also my first time seeing the river. Going across the desert I thought I was on Mars. Good times.

Desert Whaler

Reaction score
I take 66 from Topock to So Cal (Torrance) about once every 4 trips just to break up the monotony, or if I'm going to stop by friends who have places in Joshua Tree.
From Mountain Springs Rd. Exit off of the 40, everything will tell you 66 is closed. It is not. A lot of the bridges are washed out, but there are very nice bypasses around them (a Honda Civic could drive them), and they are short. Last time through there, about 1 month ago, they are actually finally working on the bridges, and getting them restored. On the 66, you'll hit Amboy, and can either stay on 66 to Ludlow, or take a left at Amboy on to the 62 thru the salt evaporation ponds and then into Wonder Valley. In Wonder Valley, if you take a notice, all of the homes are built on the same exact home foundation, even though quite a few have been added onto, you'll still see the original architect of these tiny homes. These were all Homesteaded properties sold to full or part time residents during the 1930's. for $10-$20 an acre, but most people abandoned them because of water an weather. Once into 29 palms, its just time for traffic.

Hope this was helpful, I absolutely love driving directions to different destinations and then learning about what in the "F" I'm looking at. I think I've driven from So. Cal to Topock about 10 different ways.
Thank You !
I'm gonna try it next time for sure.
Funny you mention those homestead places, my Dad was just talking about them. He's 89 and remembers when they were being sold etc.
Thanks again, and to everyone for all the replies . . . much appreciated.

stokerwhore

aka bordsmnj
Reaction score
not an exciting read but it does shed some light on the "WTF am i looking at" deal, lol.

some places referred to in the book are just totally gone now where 20 years ago there was at least remnants

HB2Havasu

Reaction score
I use to take that way every time and hop back on the I-40 at Mountain Springs Rd. It actually add times now that the road is washed out and you have to get back on the freeway@ Kelbaker. I never take that way home. The parking lot like traffic at Morongo on the I-10 (especially on holiday weekends) will give you 2nd thoughts about why you love going to the river in the first place!

DrunkenSailor

Reaction score
Took that way home from Vegas last trip when the passes had snow. took the left right after the inspection station. Was a great drive. Buddy said f that and took 15. We beat them home by 2 hours.

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
4D1E1E8D-3FB1-4CA0-8744-679C6DCA0BAC.jpeg

Interesting stories on that phone.
I’ve never done amboy south, may have to try it. Did kelbaker to Vegas through valley of fire. That was cool. Didn’t take long but we were on a rally and may have been moving at a little more than legal speeds.😉

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
not an exciting read but it does shed some light on the "WTF am i looking at" deal, lol.

some places referred to in the book are just totally gone now where 20 years ago there was at least remnants
Do you have a copy of this book? My wife would like to read it.

stokerwhore

aka bordsmnj
Reaction score
Do you have a copy of this book? My wife would like to read it.
i wouldnt even know where to begin looking for it if i do have it. i donate a lot of books. I cant believe how much they're trying to gouge for that title. i bet i paid less than 30 for mine. may not have been new. I read it like 10 years ago. But i did find a more reasonable offer on ebay

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
It was a route for us from San Diego to Laughlin.

Interesting scenery, a lot of WTF is that moments. LOL Been a few years since we went that way.

QC22

Landing Loser
Reaction score
I use to take that way every time and hop back on the I-40 at Mountain Springs Rd. It actually add times now that the road is washed out and you have to get back on the freeway@ Kelbaker. I never take that way home. The parking lot like traffic at Morongo on the I-10 (especially on holiday weekends) will give you 2nd thoughts about why you love going to the river in the first place!
FWIW, I think 15S is worse on Sunday nights than the 10. Almost a toss-up, but I hate the Vegas crowd. Drive like f'ng fools. We've had the 15 backed up all the way through Victorville and down the pass. Very few options. I've tried coming around on 138 from both sides; both suck. On the 10 route and through 29 Palms, I have found a way through the windmills and out on Whitewater. This only helps if the traffic is backed up even further. It typically starts near Whitewater. I agree on your joy comment completely. Not many options as wife works early Monday AM in SoCal.

D19

Reaction score

If you blink you will miss the canal. Very cool looking.