WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Anyone familiar with blow through carb engines.

69hondo

Reaction score
I am kicking around the idea of ditching my EFI system and going to a blow through carb setup. I cant tune the efi system and finding someone to work on it has proven to be difficult. I have to pull the engine again so changing the cam and springs is already going to happen.

Any tips or what to look for and what not to do?

Thanks Nick

DaveH

Reaction score
I am kicking around the idea of ditching my EFI system and going to a blow through carb setup. I cant tune the efi system and finding someone to work on it has proven to be difficult. I have to pull the engine again so changing the cam and springs is already going to happen.

Any tips or what to look for and what not to do?

Thanks Nick
why cant you tune your system? some ancient dated ECU? you will never have the capability with carbs that EFI does.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
why cant you tune your system? some ancient dated ECU? you will never have the capability with carbs that EFI does.

Same question. (Wanna bet it's a FiTech?)

But...

I tuned a Paxton that apparently no one else could ever get right. It was actually fairly simple.

Dude couldn't believe how well it ran when he picked it up. He had it for years before he brought it to me.

69hondo

Reaction score
Not a fitech, mefi4. I don't have a program nor do I know how to mess with the parameters if I did. I had tried to get different people to work on it all summer and they seem to all be too busy so might as well try something I know. Thanks

DaveH

Reaction score
mefi 4 😂 there arent that many people left (as you are finding) that can work on them and they are a ROYAL pita unless you are very familiar with them.

bottom line is they are super time consuming as they arent a real time tuning ECU. on top of that, lack of features and capabilities......its honestly a dinosaur

do yourself a favor and scrap that thing, put in a modern efi system, and you don't need a PHD with special software to get it running right.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Not a fitech, mefi4. I don't have a program nor do I know how to mess with the parameters if I did. I had tried to get different people to work on it all summer and they seem to all be too busy so might as well try something I know. Thanks

What vehicle is this on?

scottchbrite

Reaction score

Just call Kevin if you want to do a carb. He is the OG blow thru guy. Kevin has the best tech support, pretty much answers the phone anytime, or he’ll call you back. Ive used him for a long time.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Performance bravo one built by Imco.

So that's not a drive you can Safely put a whole bunch of HP to. Although a lot of guys do it anyway.😝

You also shouldn't run a big cam with it. Slamming it into gear at 1100 rpm isn't good for that drive either.

So, what can you do??

Stay with the naturally aspirated design. Put a Good carb on it and enjoy what you have. I see a whole different boat in your future?

😊

69hondo

Reaction score
So that's not a drive you can Safely put a whole bunch of HP to. Although a lot of guys do it anyway.😝

You also shouldn't run a big cam with it. Slamming it into gear at 1100 rpm isn't good for that drive either.

So, what can you do??

Stay with the naturally aspirated design. Put a Good carb on it and enjoy what you have. I see a whole different boat in your future?

😊

So you think dropping the efi and going to carb will increase the HP that much or are you saying the cam will cause more problems going with a bigger cam?

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
So you think dropping the efi and going to carb will increase the HP that much or are you saying the cam will cause more problems going with a bigger cam?

Oh did you open a can of worms! 😂

Some people say EFI makes more HP. Some people say. Carb will make more HP!
Both system do one thing, they add fuel to an engine. Period the end.

A properly tuned engine will make the Most HP. So since you have an engine that is currently not properly tuned, it's going to run better no matter which direction you go! LoL

The challenge is now, to pick the Right cam. Mike Johnson at JMS is the man at picking cams. I worked with him for a few years. I Thought I was good at it. He's Way better than I am.

Having a engine Dyno to verify your choices, makes you pretty good at it after awhile. 😉

I'd give him a call and see what he says. Sounds like you are doing the work yourself?

He can get the carb and cams for you, so everything will match.

69hondo

Reaction score

A properly tuned engine will make the Most HP. So since you have an engine that is currently not properly tuned, it's going to run better no matter which direction you go! LoL

The challenge is now, to pick the Right cam. Mike Johnson at JMS is the man at picking cams. I worked with him for a few years. I Thought I was good at it. He's Way better than I am.

Having a engine Dyno to verify your choices, makes you pretty good at it after awhile. 😉

I'd give him a call and see what he says. Sounds like you are doing the work yourself?

ok, thank you.

I am not definetly going this way I am just trying to get familiar with the blow through carb setup. I would love to just stay with what I have but getting anyone to have time to tune it has been a pain in the ass. I know everyone is busy.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
ok, thank you.

I am not definetly going this way I am just trying to get familiar with the blow through carb setup. I would love to just stay with what I have but getting anyone to have time to tune it has been a pain in the ass. I know everyone is busy.

Good luck bro. If it was me, I'd stay away from the blower. Way to easy to destroy your nicely built drive. 👍

69hondo

Reaction score
Good luck bro. If it was me, I'd stay away from the blower. Way to easy to destroy your nicely built drive. 👍

Its had the blower on it for years. I just didnt create the tune. The guy I bought it from years ago had it done.

AZLineman

Adjusting to retired life
Reaction score
Its not difficult at all. Just different. Pm me a # and i will explain. I just went thru this on my procharged/nitrous nova and after tryn 3 diff carb configs what has worked best. I have been building my own carbs for na and roots blown shit for decades and blo thru is so very diff. Everyone has an opinion and if you can afford a high dollar pre made carb like a csu or a prosystems than do it. I prefer to keep cost down and finally achieved what i feel works. You can build it off a $600 proform 950 and dont forget a boost ref regulator. If you have provisions for an O2 sensor thro in an aem afr gauge. Just my 2c

motormonkey

Reaction score
Nothing wrong with a blow thru blower carb setup. Once set, they are pretty reliable, perfect for a boat.
Now blow thru carb turbos, haha that's another story but can be made to work also.
EFI is top choice just for the ease of tuning and range of tuning. Will it make more power though a wider range, and drivability in a wide range of conditions. Yes.
Will it make more top end, unless the carb was way off. No
Will you want to kill someone when efi takes a shit for whate very reason. Yes
Haha

69hondo

Reaction score
Its not difficult at all. Just different. Pm me a # and i will explain. I just went thru this on my procharged/nitrous nova and after tryn 3 diff carb configs what has worked best. I have been building my own carbs for na and roots blown shit for decades and blo thru is so very diff. Everyone has an opinion and if you can afford a high dollar pre made carb like a csu or a prosystems than do it. I prefer to keep cost down and finally achieved what i feel works. You can build it off a $600 proform 950 and dont forget a boost ref regulator. If you have provisions for an O2 sensor thro in an aem afr gauge. Just my 2c

Awesome, thank you. It does have an AFR gauge on it now. I will PM my number.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
If the motor is already efi, why not pin it out, and run a more modern or easily interfaced ecu? As @rivermobster said, I agree, both carb and injection put fuel into the mix. The advantage to an efi setup would be it's ability to compensate for things much more accurately than a carb. Things such as mid throttle cruise, or mid to full throttle. Evenings stuff like that is squared away, the ability to pull timing in reference to boost is really nice, as is the ability to smooth out the idle. A blow through carb setup works well once setup...the setup is the hard part.

Whatever you do, we want pics!

scottchbrite

Reaction score
Evenings stuff like that is squared away, the ability to pull timing in reference to boost is really nice, as is the ability to smooth out the idle. A blow through carb setup works well once setup...the setup is the hard part.

Whatever you do, we want pics!
Add an MSD 7531 and you got all you need to go fast, build timing maps, and a map sensor to reference boost, etc 😉

Awesome, thank you. It does have an AFR gauge on it now. I will PM my number.

Building your own is cool, done it. Give it a shot. I ended up with one of Kevin’s carbs for my twin turbo, E85 boat and it ran heaps better. I will admit that I am partial to him, as I’ve known him along time. I got over constantly tuning on it and having the tech support helps.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Add an MSD 7531 and you got all you need to go fast, build timing maps, and a map sensor to reference boost, etc 😉

Building your own is cool, done it. Give it a shot. I ended up with one of Kevin’s carbs for my twin turbo, E85 boat and it ran heaps better. I will admit that I am partial to him, as I’ve known him along time. I got over constantly tuning on it and having the tech support helps.
I used an MSD crank trigger box setup on a blow through LS for a guy about 2-3 years ago. E85 setup, ran really well...until car owner decided to see what "more boost" would do. He didn't creep up on it, he went balls out. Well, it was a stock bottom end with nice heads...the term "glitter factory" comes to mind. The intake survived...but not much else.
I have an intake and heads, thought about doing a 6.0 the same way. It was pretty impressive at 15-18lbs!

69hondo

Reaction score
Bringing this backup.
Engine is hurt so I am considering building a complete new engine.
Current engine specs. 454 bored 4.310, stock stroke crank. Crower 6.385 rods. Ross forged blower pistons, Crower cam cant remember specs. Full comp roller valve train. 088 GM heads ported, Stock merc EFI manifold ported, 80LB injectors, full Aeromotive fuel system. M1 Procharger and intercooler. etc

So new engine could be forced or N/A. Either way I need to decide on carb or EFI and if EFI what system should I go with?

Right now thinking of a stroker 496 utilizing my Crower 6.385 rods.

AZLineman

Adjusting to retired life
Reaction score
Well since were revisiting this a lot has changed since then. I had someone make me an offer I couldn't refuse on my home built blow through carb as I was literally loading my car on the trailer at the track because they wanted one for the following weekend. That being said and the fact that this dude paid a pretty good price for mine I called Patrick at Pro Systems, gave him all my specs and three weeks later for about 1k got a way better carb. Of course I still needed to do a little fine-tuning on it but all in all I'll say it was a better way to go. I highly recommend Patrick. Car has way more drive ability on the street too. I don't drive the car much during the summer due to the heat but I'd like to get it on a chassis dyno for the final all around tune.

bonesfab

Reaction score
Buy a Holley hp ecu and put it on. Weather proof and pretty easy to tune. I have had real good luck with them. It is what I will use when I get aro7nd to doing my boat.

Bugginout

Reaction score

My brother worked at JMS when they were behind Napa in Duarte. I worked at verbecks in Pasadena and at Steve Shotroskys shop in Monrovia. I remember when Harold at JMS was grinding cranks. Bunch of Salt flat guys. God that was a long time ago.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
My brother worked at JMS when they were behind Napa in Duarte. I worked at verbecks in Pasadena and at Steve Shotroskys shop in Monrovia. I remember when Harold at JMS was grinding cranks. Bunch of Salt flat guys. God that was a long time ago.

Hell yeah it was. Wow. 👍🏼

Bugginout

Reaction score
My advice to the OP is your current FI is archaic and out dated. Bones Fab has a point with the new holley stuff. Cold starts with FI are awesome. Gonna have to find someone to tune it for you. They say it's self learning but everyone I know has tuned it or had it tuned. CSU or Pro systems are both really good folks with blow through applications for carbs. How much do you want to spend is the question in my opinion. A lot of real smart people on this forum and places like yellowbullet.com.

bonesfab

Reaction score
They are self learning in the fuel department. They are not auto tuning. You have to have a good base program and then the computer will figure out the fuel. As the saying goes Junk in Junk out. Really applies to efi tunes.