WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Anyone get a 7.3 Ford gasser yet?

HALLETT BOY

Reaction score
Engine builders are already figuring ways to mod . Supposed to be a great base .

rmarion

Stop The Steal
Reaction score
no... but I have the 2015 - 6.2 little brother F350 (6 speed) 12 mpg, 143,530.2 miles (gas, oil, filters and 4 rear taillight blubs.. LOL)... pulls Boat perfectly and towed 32' T.T. no issues.. (it was thirsty tho, my guess... 8 mpg towing trailer, 10 mpg tow boat)

adam909

Reaction score
I really like this truck/motor if your not towing heavy.. Work truck is a new ford gasser and utilty bed is loaded with tools and equipment. no complaints..

Dr Rob

Reaction score
I really like this truck/motor if your not towing heavy.. Work truck is a new ford gasser and utilty bed is loaded with tools and equipment. no complaints..
Mine finally came in 3 weeks ago. I ordered it with the 4:30 gears. I absolutely love it and it is fun to drive. So far I am getting around 12 miles per gallon around town and I just got 14.3 on the highway Towing my Jeep trailer back from Arizona at 75 miles an hour.

Mrhavasu

Reaction score
I am only hearing good things about this motor, glad Ford is building it.

riverroyal

Reaction score
Id tow my 5th wheel, maybeeee once a year. Its 15k lbs. So i dont need the diesel really.
The tremor package has a 2" factory lift. Im hearing you remove the block in the rear and its level. Simple set up.
Run 37s with ease

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
I’m skeptical about “upgraded” shocks on the Tremor..

I don’t think the $4k Tremor package is worth it. If you are going to buy tires for it anyway, save the money, get some better wheels, the tires you want, upgrade the shocks (or just run it) do a 2 inch front lift, pull the rear lift block and go. Plus save like $2k-$3k.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
Mine finally came in 3 weeks ago. I ordered it with the 4:30 gears. I absolutely love it and it is fun to drive. So far I am getting around 12 miles per gallon around town and I just got 14.3 on the highway Towing my Jeep trailer back from Arizona at 75 miles an hour.
14.5 towing and it has 4.30 gears? That's pretty damn good!

As much of a GM guy as I am..... The fact that Ford has ditched the modular OHC configuration for this engine has REALLY caught my attention.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

Taboma

Reaction score

As much of a GM guy as I am..... The fact that Ford has ditched the modular OHC configuration for this engine has REALLY caught my attention.

That MPG certainly does sound good --- so good it forces me to question how ? or why ? It's a push rod V-8, pretty much nothing special tech wise, not even direct injected if I recall, so what's the Magic ?

Dr Rob

Reaction score
That MPG certainly does sound good --- so good it forces me to question how ? or why ? It's a push rod V-8, pretty much nothing special tech wise, not even direct injected if I recall, so what's the Magic ?
I am pretty sure the 10-speed transmission has a lot to do with it. I was worried that I would be spinning the motor too hard at 75 miles an hour, but with 430 gears I am only spinning 2100 RPM. That 10 speed has three overdrive gears in it.

Taboma

Reaction score
I am pretty sure the 10-speed transmission has a lot to do with it. I was worried that I would be spinning the motor too hard at 75 miles an hour, but with 430 gears I am only spinning 2100 RPM. That 10 speed has three overdrive gears in it.

You towed any steep grades ? One thing I've been impressed with about the 3.5 Eco-Boost is it's low-end towing torque compared to my previous 6.2L GMC. I can tow up the same grades, same speeds, but with far fewer revs doing it. BUT, overall my towing MPG is about the same, non-towing better, but it just tows with more diesel like grunt.

Dr Rob

Reaction score
You towed any steep grades ? One thing I've been impressed with about the 3.5 Eco-Boost is it's low-end towing torque compared to my previous 6.2L GMC. I can tow up the same grades, same speeds, but with far fewer revs doing it. BUT, overall my towing MPG is about the same, non-towing better, but it just tows with more diesel like grunt.
So far I have just run in between Henderson and Williams Arizona. But I do get into a steeper Hill,
I have been running back and forth between Henderson Nevada and Williams Arizona, where there are some decent grades. It does not lug as well as the EcoBoost, however it does downshift into 7th or 8th gear and 3 600 RPMs seems to be it's happy spot for pulling up a 6% grade. It has no issues maintaining legal speed limit, that's for sure.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score

I think the 10 speed is the reason this engine exists in the first place. I think it is a great combo for those of us that tow on the weekends... and your new truck just got $10k cheaper.

Taboma

Reaction score
I think the 10 speed is the reason this engine exists in the first place. I think it is a great combo for those of us that tow on the weekends... and your new truck just got $10k cheaper.

Do you think the lack of 'economy' tech wizardry will detour its use in anything less than a 3/4 ton application ? It just seems to simple that the trans alone can accomplish the EPA ratings required of the new 1/2 tons.

rmarion

Stop The Steal
Reaction score
and will last longer than 101,000 miles

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
Do you think the lack of 'economy' tech wizardry will detour its use in anything less than a 3/4 ton application ? It just seems to simple that the trans alone can accomplish the EPA ratings required of the new 1/2 tons.

Yes.

If it goes into a CAFE-regulated vehicle, it will have to be sold in very small numbers. Which means the cost to certify it will be very expensive in a per-vehicle basis, but cheaper than CAFE fines for failing to meet fleet targets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

pronstar

Reaction score

The front air dam is also incredibly deep, which helps in the highway.

It’ll be the first thing to get torn-off when you encounter a pebble in the road, though LOL

Taboma

Reaction score
Yes.

If it goes into a CAFE-regulated vehicle, it will have to be sold in very small numbers. Which means the cost to certify it will be very expensive in a per-vehicle basis, but cheaper than CAFE fines for failing to meet fleet targets.

My neighbor is down in the desert testing & developing the next Gen Raptors and Broncos --- but the fucker takes his NDA extremely seriously and has the best poker face of anybody I know. :mad: Maybe I could loosen his lips with mass quantities of adult beverages 😜 But I'm sure he'd hate my ass in the morning 😂

pronstar

Reaction score

Remember, gears 7-10 are all overdrive.
Doubtful 8-10 are used much at all with a load.

I’m with you about the gas engine...but GM also has a new 6.6L gasser that’s also looking pretty good[emoji106]

pronstar

Reaction score
I’m skeptical about “upgraded” shocks on the Tremor..

I don’t think the $4k Tremor package is worth it. If you are going to buy tires for it anyway, save the money, get some better wheels, the tires you want, upgrade the shocks (or just run it) do a 2 inch front lift, pull the rear lift block and go. Plus save like $2k-$3k.

100%
The only things that appeal to me in that package, are the LSD up front and rear locker.

Both of which can be installed aftermarket for less than $4k...

I’d get an XLT and budget $4k-ish for diffs, tires and Kings [emoji106]

pronstar

Reaction score
My neighbor is down in the desert testing & developing the next Gen Raptors and Broncos --- but the fucker takes his NDA extremely seriously and has the best poker face of anybody I know. :mad: Maybe I could loosen his lips with mass quantities of adult beverages [emoji12] But I'm sure he'd hate my ass in the morning [emoji23]

A limited-edition V8 Raptor would sell in small numbers. And folks would likely pay a premium for the V8 [emoji106]

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
100%
The only things that appeal to me in that package, are the LSD up front and rear locker.

You can get the rear locker as a stand-alone option in any Ford truck for a few hundred bucks. The front going aftermarket makes sense though.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score

I don’t see it going in a 1/2 ton or Raptor.

Well you have the 10 speed, so you know. The 10 speed is almost a CVT trans when cruising through the gears. The RPM does not move a whole lot. No need to rev the engine when you have big cubic inches that makes torque at low RPM. There is your fuel economy gains, and the 3 overdrive gears.

The 3.5 TT v6 just has small turbos for low end torque instead of cubic inches.

Last edited:

LowRiver2

Reaction score
I’m trying to get one spec’d for our squad trucks.
We’ve run GMC gassers since 05’ and haven’t had one engine issue in 45 trucks with 150-180k miles each.
The 8mpg and 0-60 in 3 minutes are the reasons I’m hoping to convince our command to try the Ford to erase that .

The damn GM brakes are verygood.
How is the braking on these new Fords?

Taboma

Reaction score
I’m trying to get one spec’d for our squad trucks.
We’ve run GMC gassers since 05’ and haven’t had one engine issue in 45 trucks with 150-180k miles each.
The 8mpg and 0-60 in 3 minutes are the reasons I’m hoping to convince our command to try the Ford to erase that .

The damn GM brakes are verygood.
How is the braking on these new Fords?

I thought GM was sharing that same 10 speed with Ford ?

Taboma

Reaction score
A limited-edition V8 Raptor would sell in small numbers. And folks would likely pay a premium for the V8 [emoji106]

I know he drove ONE test mule Raptor with a 5.2L GT 500 engine, but there were several special instructions and things locked-out to mitigate drive-line failures.
When I questioned him about the reality of that coming to market he seemed to dismiss it as a " One-Off" experiment.
That same question about the 7.3 garnered a stern "You know better than to ask me that shit" reaction :mad:

One thing he does enjoy sharing (And tend to think of you when he does) is his endless fun stories of carnage when the crews show up to do the desert promo-photo shoots and videos. Trying to keep the trucks all pretty and shiny as they bury the grill into the dirt after a failed jump. :eek:

Cdog

Reaction score
100%

I do like that the tremor pkg is ready to go. I would only have to add a titan tank, air bag/tank system & horns. Done deal. You can delete the tremor running boards and add the electric steps back in

I’ve never been a fan of having all the aftermarket lift stuff splat all over a vehicle like a nascar. I need my truck to tow and be reliable.

save the working on shit for my race cars.

pronstar

Reaction score
I know he drove ONE test mule Raptor with a 5.2L GT 500 engine, but there were several special instructions and things locked-out to mitigate drive-line failures.
When I questioned him about the reality of that coming to market he seemed to dismiss it as a " One-Off" experiment.
That same question about the 7.3 garnered a stern "You know better than to ask me that shit" reaction :mad:

One thing he does enjoy sharing (And tend to think of you when he does) is his endless fun stories of carnage when the crews show up to do the desert promo-photo shoots and videos. Trying to keep the trucks all pretty and shiny as they bury the grill into the dirt after a failed jump. :eek:

A flat-plane V8 that needs to spin makes no sense for a heavy truck IMHO

But testing engineering mules is a whole lotta fun [emoji106]

pronstar

Reaction score
I do like that the tremor pkg is ready to go. I would only have to add a titan tank, air bag/tank system & horns. Done deal. You can delete the tremor running boards and add the electric steps back in

I’ve never been a fan of having all the aftermarket lift stuff splat all over a vehicle like a nascar. I need my truck to tow and be reliable.

Like anything else, there’s good aftermarket, and crap.

I never should have sold my Ram CTD...
113k miles
Pulled 18.5k lbs on the regular
Mobbed off road
Bone-stock engine and tranny.
Never left me stranded.

IMG_1308.JPG

dribble

Reaction score

It’s got a ten speed transmission.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score

Aside from the diff, you can have a “Tremor” in half a day. If the package was $1500 it would be a different story. It is just not worth $4k for a front LSD, black wheels, a 2 inch front lift, and some blacked out pieces when you want to swap running boards or tires on day 2.

You don’t even get the sport package with the Tremor package.

Dr Rob

Reaction score
Aside from the diff, you can have a “Tremor” in half a day. If the package was $1500 it would be a different story. It is just not worth $4k for a front LSD, black wheels, a 2 inch front lift, and some blacked out pieces when you want to swap running boards or tires on day 2.

You don’t even get the sport package with the Tremor package.
I did not get the Tremor package because I had to have an 8 foot bed. But I did get the lariat sport package and the ultimate Lariat package. I want to change the front spoiler over to the tremor front spoiler. Other than that , I love the truck. It's a lot of bang for the buck.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
I did not get the Tremor package because I had to have an 8 foot bed. But I did get the lariat sport package and the ultimate Lariat package. I want to change the front spoiler over to the tremor front spoiler. Other than that , I love the truck. It's a lot of bang for the buck.

The Lariat sport package looks great!

spectras only

Reaction score
Local Ford knows my truck [ last year for steel body ] and they want my truck, paying over market value in trade.;) If I would want another gasser, I'd get an older truck without OBD I/II and shit and build another 460 with fuel injection . The 460 had 500 ft pounds of torque at low rpms, couple it to a modern 10 speed would do wonders. All the new trucks are over done with crap added to them so they can jack up prices. I'm done buying anything new 😝

Taboma

Reaction score
A flat-plane V8 that needs to spin makes no sense for a heavy truck IMHO

But testing engineering mules is a whole lotta fun [emoji106]

I don't believe the 5.2 in the GT 500 is flat-plane, unlike the GT 350, which I love the sound of 👍 But still, I get your point, it's a revver none the less.
I guess it was more fun than the LAW does allow, lol 😳 He did certainly drive it like he stole it, despite the engineer screaming " EZ, this is the ONLY ONE WE HAVE !! :eek:"
With that engine it's pretty much a one trick pony, no longer a multi-purpose truck that includes towing capability. I could see a tuned-up Godzilla being a much better match.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
I don't believe the 5.2 in the GT 500 is flat-plane, unlike the GT 350, which I love the sound of 👍 But still, I get your point, it's a revver none the less.
I guess it was more fun than the LAW does allow, lol 😳 He did certainly drive it like he stole it, despite the engineer screaming " EZ, this is the ONLY ONE WE HAVE !! :eek:"
With that engine it's pretty much a one trick pony, no longer a multi-purpose truck that includes towing capability. I could see a tuned-up Godzilla being a much better match.

That is correct. Gt500 has a cross plane crank

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
Here’s an MPG comparison of the Ford 7.3L gasser vs the new GM 6.6L gasser.
They tested both towing and empty.

That is interesting results. I'm guessing the similarities in mpg is due to the GM being direct injected which has its down sides as well?
It’s got a ten speed transmission.
I know. The same 10 speed that GM and Ford are starting to roll into everything. I believe in part of the agreement during the development there was some verbiage that states Ford is to roll out that trans first if they are going to be in competing trucks? I'm not 100% sure on that, but I do know there was something along those lines written into the original development deal.

Cdog

Reaction score
Realistically how much larger than 35 inch tires could you stuff under a f350 with the factory 2 inch lift Tremor pkg.

I'll be towing heavy 18k lbs or so with this truck so tire choice is important. I figure a platinum sport is my base truck. If I were to Tremor it out myself figure 2k in wheel and tires, and about 4k for a Carli pin top system. It really starts to add up....

With issues like death wobble that seems to affect some trucks I thought going all factory with a warranty might be the better choice??

riverroyal

Reaction score
I saw a f250 with tremor last week. It has factory 35s and they looked way too small
A 37 will fit from what I can tell.
Load rated tires like toyo all terrains are fine for towing. I would personally put a 20 inch wheel to avoid too MUCH side wall sway when towing.
For me, leaving the truck alone from Ford is the way to go for heights.