WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Anyone going to be on Lake Elsinore this weekend?

GRADS

Phishing license is paid up to date
Reaction score
If so I might have a small favor to ask. My nephews (10 and 12 years old) are there for the weekend and have never ridden in a hot boat before. One pass down the center would probably make their year.

And is it even safe to swim in? They've never been there.

Last edited:

Riverfamlee

Reaction score
Really? Is it even on anyone's must do list? :rolleyes:

I think I have been there twice in the last 25 years. Once for an eliminator open house and once to test my boat before a river trip. Didn't touch the water either time.

Its a shame too, I believe that's one of the only "open" lakes in so cal (no speed limit)

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
If so I might have a small favor to ask. My nephews (10 and 12 years old) are there for the weekend and have never ridden in a hot boat before. One pass down the center would probably make their year.

And is it even safe to swim in? They've never been there.

I think everyone one here has gone once...

When you can't see your hand in the water, and the water is up to your wrist, swimming is NOT advised! This time of year, the water is usually so warm, the algae blooms, sucks up all the oxygen content in the water, and all the fish die and float to the surface...

It's the exact opposite of Lake Tahoe. 🤮

GRADS

Reaction score
I've been there and seen it...wasn't a huge fan. My brother who lives in San Diego told me this morning that he is taking his boys in the RV and spending the weekend there for the first time. Also said he rented a pontoon.

GRADS

Reaction score
I think @GRADS would love a trip to the salton sea though. Its very private this time of year.
Funny you say that. I've actually been dying to see the Salton Sea for a long time now. I have many books about it and watched everything I could about it on Youtube. I have this strange fascination, almost obsession, with it and the history of it.

I actually was born not too far from it relatively speaking.

Flatsix66

Reaction score
I live on the hill above lake Elsinore and see it every day. The water looked really nice this morning, compared to most days.

c_land

Reaction score
I think everyone one here has gone once...

When you can't see your hand in the water, and the water is up to your wrist, swimming is NOT advised! This time of year, the water is usually so warm, the algae blooms, sucks up all the oxygen content in the water, and all the fish die and float to the surface...

It's the exact opposite of Lake Tahoe. 🤮

Elsinore is the Lake Tahoe of the Inland Empire

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Its nickname is SmellSomeMore........
I put a boat in it once......and about gagged when the seafoam green water splashed into my face.
\.
Can't say it is always like that but by this time of the season it's iffy....I certainly wouldn't encourage my grandkids to put their heads, any cut or scab underwater. Supposed to be rather toasty there this weekend too.

retaocleg

Reaction score
Funny you say that. I've actually been dying to see the Salton Sea for a long time now. I have many books about it and watched everything I could about it on Youtube. I have this strange fascination, almost obsession, with it and the history of it.

not a subscriber to the current mask policy, but in this case👍

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score

Make sure you go on a windy day. And make sure the wind is blowing across the lake Away from you. It's fucking disgusting as well.

77charger

Reaction score

We use to pass by all the time headed to glamis never stopped. Now in az won’t pass it.
But as a kid we use to ride our atc nearby there. I decided to drive up to it I’ll tell you it was the nastiest smelling mud I ever smelled. And this was about 1984.

Riverfamlee

Reaction score
We use to pass by all the time headed to glamis never stopped. Now in az won’t pass it.
But as a kid we use to ride our atc nearby there. I decided to drive up to it I’ll tell you it was the nastiest smelling mud I ever smelled. And this was about 1984.
When we go to Ocotillo we will ride over there sometimes. Funny to see people get stuck in that shit trying to go all the way to the lake.

Gelcoater

Reaction score

It’s a stinky, shitty mess, lol.
We Glamis peeps drive past it to get to the dunes.
I’ve been on the waters edge once.
There is no sandy beaches at all.
They look like sand from the highway.
Walk on it and you discover the substrate is actually mollusk shell. And it’s not comfortable on the feet at all, lol.
From what I understand one can still purchase plots of land cheap there, if living next to a sewer is your thing😂

Is big time dates growing area. If you go down that way you should make a weekend of it. See the stinky lake then go East and rent a side by side or a quad and hit the dunes for a day. Stop in Westmorland along the way and have a date shake🍦

Gelcoater

Reaction score
@GRADS
Another pretty cool thing down there, and I’m sure you already know.
It’s below sea level.
96718FCD-7196-44AE-97E2-50DE6A0E6E8F.png

As you travel along 86 if you look at the mountains to the West, there’s a line that travels along it all.
It’s a water line.
It shows you where sea level is relative to where you are driving.
It’s sort of a trip.
One year going to Glamis we rolled through at sun up and it was winter.
There were icicles hanging from the fence and stumps of a vineyard.
Never seen it before or since in over 30 years of going to Glamis.

92 cole

Reaction score
F.W.I.W. I live here and will not be on the lake this weekend. I was out on the boat 3 weeks ago and the water was so warm you could not even take a dip to cool off. I went down to the water mid- last week and the algee bloom has done it's job along with the hot water the fish are tanning on the beach.

Reactions: C-2

92 cole

Reaction score
Where is he staying? I asked him and he said the RV park at the marina.
probably either Elsinore West or the launch zone There are more on Riverside drive. Not knowing these are the 2 most popular on riverside dr and there are more on Grand Ave.

GRADS

Reaction score
He just sent me a text that said..."Hopefully we can find a good place to just anchor and swim. It's going to be 109 degrees."

What should I tell him, all kidding aside. Where is that beach that I see people beaching their boat at?

Last edited:

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
Probably at Launchpoint. Don't think I'd want to swim much there. Better in the pool.

GRADS

Reaction score
Just told me he was going to be at Lake Elsinore marina and RV park

Gelcoater

Reaction score
He just sent me a text that said..."Hopefully we can find a good place to just anchor and swim. It's going to be 109 degrees."

What should I tell him, all kidding aside. Where is that beach that I see people beaching their boat at?
If they have any open cuts or scrapes I probably wouldn’t.
Once he see’s all the dead fish along shore, common sense “should” kick in. 🤷‍♂️

DrunkenSailor

Reaction score
Elsinore has a "channel" it's at the far end of the lake.

For the salton sea They should build a desal plant in the gulf of mexico and pump the water to salton sea. If they hurry they might prevent the toxic dust storms that are going to turn that area into a huge bio hazard. Maybe when people start dropping dead in palm springs they will take action. 50+ years of farm runoff is gonna wreak havoc on the area once the lake goes dry. Plus it would make a legit socal boating destination.

Gelcoater

Reaction score

For the salton sea They should build a desal plant in the gulf of mexico and pump the water to salton sea. If they hurry they might prevent the toxic dust storms that are going to turn that area into a huge bio hazard. Maybe when people start dropping dead in palm springs they will take action. 50+ years of farm runoff is gonna wreak havoc on the area once the lake goes dry. Plus it would make a legit socal boating destination.
Hate to be a smart ass here, but pumping it from the Gulf of California would probably be easier🤷‍♂️😂

DRYHEAT

Reaction score

Just tell them to go to Havasu and hang out in the channel with the rest of the nuts. 😂

DRYHEAT

Reaction score

Didn’t they already try that?😂

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
I visited the prison out past the Salton Sea a while back.... when I met with the warden I asked him what that huge body of water was and he gave me the story on it. He also mentioned the prison employees refuse to fish it saying if their families ate anything out of it they'd glow at night. If I recall he said there once was a city there and now its under water..... so I just looked it up.....

92 cole

Reaction score

It's back in the cove where most hang out. Just head south and it's back were all the boats go. Just watch the boat flow. It is to the south east. It is a party most weekends. But be safe!

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Tell him to call Newport Dunes RV Park and see if he can get a spot. 20 degrees cooler and water isn't toxic.

Yep. This would be the best idea. Kinna doubt you can get in there though. Was probably sold out months ago.

F.W.I.W. I live here and will not be on the lake this weekend. I was out on the boat 3 weeks ago and the water was so warm you could not even take a dip to cool off. I went down to the water mid- last week and the algee bloom has done it's job along with the hot water the fish are tanning on the beach.

Greg, he doesn't wanna be anywhere near this disgustingness.

What about Lake Cuyamaca? I've never been skunked fishing there, even right off the shore! Never stayed there though. Not sure if they have any camping. *shrug*

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
Or canyon lake, right down the street and much nicer!

PlumLoco

Vintage Jawa CZ motorcycles
Reaction score
This has been a pretty good year for Elsinore. The water has been much cleaner than years past due to a lot of winter rain and a mild summer. But a 3 day weekend at the only real lake for most of southern California is not going to be a good time boating. And the water is so warm, it isn't going to be much fun for kids or adults to stand or swim in. This weekend even the beaches are going to be scorching hot. The only escape is the mountains. I'd suggest Lake Hemet or Big Bear honestly if you just want to stay cool. Boating is kind of limited at both of those place for different reasons.

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
There are inmates here who live in canyon lake.

77charger

Reaction score
When we go to Ocotillo we will ride over there sometimes. Funny to see people get stuck in that shit trying to go all the way to the lake.
Yes it looks like solid ground then bam. Like said this was many years ago

ATKpilot

Reaction score

Me too, my wife and I finally went there last year, it's a must see in person for sure. It was creepy, fascinating, intriguing, other worldly at the same time. We just sat there for about an hour just staring at it. We did go walking and exploring, dead fish skeletons and some of the buildings around ...just weird especially if you know the history. And as a bonus it smells wonderful :rolleyes:
IMG_1271.JPG
IMG_1278.JPG

Last edited: