WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Anyone got a real time update on the fires in and around Santa Barbara?

Paul65k

Schiada Baby.......Yeah!!
Reaction score
We are planning on taking the RV to Santa Barbara (Goleta Actually) next Wednesday the 20th and was wondering if anyone in the area might have some better G2 than I can seem to find on the Web???

We were originally planning on cutting over through Palmdale and down through Fillmore to try and avoid the LA basin. I'm hoping to get some feel for whether or not this is gonna work from some of you who may live along that route??

Thanks in advance!!!

sixdays

La Flama Blanca
Reaction score
The 126 is wide open an the 101 should be clear...Goleta may be smokey with ash blowing around but there should be minimal if any threat from the fire front. I’m sure the local businesses would appreciate any action as many locals have remained at home or left the area...

Tank

Reaction score
It's about 12 miles from Goleta, approaching Montecito. 40% contained and it's windy up this way today. It's going to be smokey in Goleta.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
We are planning on taking the RV to Santa Barbara (Goleta Actually) next Wednesday the 20th and was wondering if anyone in the area might have some better G2 than I can seem to find on the Web???

We were originally planning on cutting over through Palmdale and down through Fillmore to try and avoid the LA basin. I'm hoping to get some feel for whether or not this is gonna work from some of you who may live along that route??

Thanks in advance!!!

Id probably just keep an eye on it. If its as bad as it has been the last 2 nights, id look into maybe taking the 138 to the 5 North to the 166 to the 101. That would put you out in Santa Maria but you would totally avoid all the fire mess until you actually got into Goleta.

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
It's Smokey here, better than the last few days, but could get better or worse depending on what the wind does.

If you have a backup plan or location, I'd go there instead of here. Things are still dicey, and the air quality is very poor.

rivergames

Reaction score
I just had a few beers with my fireman buddy who finally had a day off from working every day since the start of that fire. He said its still fucked up there. I would RV somewhere else. Just my opinion

The video he was showing me last night was F'n nuts

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score
I agree with rivergames - I'd go somewhere else unless it's really important you go to SB.

No reason to deal with the risk, potential danger, smoke and ash, traffic, etc.

4Waters

Reaction score
Head up to Morro Bay, it's real nice place with several campgrounds in the area I have stayed at the Morro Bay state park.

Paul65k

Reaction score
I agree with rivergames - I'd go somewhere else unless it's really important you go to SB.

No reason to deal with the risk, potential danger, smoke and ash, traffic, etc.
Yup....hard to argue with the logic you guys are putting out.

We need to be in Thousand oaks for Christmas and were thinking we would celebrate our anniversary in SB on the 22nd. Been looking at alternatives and not too many places to camp anywhere close to Thousand Oaks at all never mind finding one a week out :(

Hmmm......maybe we'll just stay home this year and have an intimate Christmas here in Havasu.

warpt71

Lower River Lover
Reaction score
how bout going to Pismo? its not that much further up the coast

4Waters

Reaction score
There's beach camping in Ventura, a camp ground in Malibu that Jefftowz was at a couple of weeks ago and a campground here in Simi Valley but that one isn't much to write home about. All 40min drive or less to Thousand Oaks.

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
Check out Flying Flags in Buellton. Maybe Call there and see how air Quality has been. When the winds shift it blows the ash and smoke up and down the coastal areas. It has been bad, but Buellton may be far enough North to be OK

Paul65k

Reaction score
There's beach camping in Ventura, a camp ground in Malibu that Jefftowz was at a couple of weeks ago and a campground here in Simi Valley but that one isn't much to write home about. All 40min drive or less to Thousand Oaks.
Yeah.....I checked the beach campgrounds and my rig is too big for any of the state parks and Malibu doesn't have any availability......not to mention the $70 a night.

Thanks for the info and advice guys.....much appreciated!!

hallett21

Reaction score
Have you tried Leo Carrillo ? 20 mins from TO. Also the RV park in Malibu.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
Yeah.....I checked the beach campgrounds and my rig is too big for any of the state parks and Malibu doesn't have any availability......not to mention the $70 a night.

Thanks for the info and advice guys.....much appreciated!!

How big is your trailer? I remember you saying you upgraded to a 5'er but cant remember the length.

Last edited:

G. Faulk

Reaction score
I've live here 52 years and I can honestly tell you I don't know if I've seen it this dirty SB county wide from ash. Ive cleaned my property at least 3 times and every time the wind blows its wiped out again. If your a clean person like me I'd go else where. There saying Wednesday will be another sun downer. Rincon and the near by beach camping area is just as bad. In some of the burn areas in SB county it has not burn in some areas since the 30s so they say and you can imagine the ash. I love SB, I think its the most beautiful city around, but right now its very dirty. Yesterday the fire ripping through Montecito was un real. The fire fighters worked there asses off. It will not clean up until we get some rain.

Activated

Deplorable
Reaction score
I think Emma Wood State beach is first come first serve during the winter.

Paul65k

Reaction score
How big is your trailer? I remember you saying you upgraded to a 5'er but cant remember the length.
is says it's 32 but closer to 34 in reality. The beaches have a 30 and/or 31' limit and I'd hate to risk being turned away for being a few feet too long......Malibu SP is the same and Malibu RV is booked

Singleton

Reaction score
is says it's 32 but closer to 34 in reality. The beaches have a 30 and/or 31' limit and I'd hate to risk being turned away for being a few feet too long......Malibu SP is the same and Malibu RV is booked

Looks bigger then 34. My box is 30 and tip to tip 34 and your trailer looked much longer then mine over Turkey Day.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
Well, if it makes you feel any better, they do not bring out a tape measure. And its usually possible to argue a shorter length by measuring from the king pin to the rear for a 5'er.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

4Waters

Reaction score
Rv's are now measured by the manufacturer on the inside.

yz450mm

Reaction score
Where were you planning on staying in Goleta? I went to UCSB, and lived in Goleta for a few years, and can't recall any place that you could put an RV?

If there is, I'd love to go up there and try and relive my college days LOL

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

4Waters

Reaction score
Where were you planning on staying in Goleta? I went to UCSB, and lived in Goleta for a few years, and can't recall any place that you could put an RV?

Just keep the cup upside down, but you probably already knew that.

yz450mm

Reaction score
Just keep the cup upside down, but you probably already knew that.
[emoji23] God damn, I forgot about that. Thanks for the laugh...

I lived on sabado tarde right behind the liquor store, no shortage of people watching from the balcony.

4Waters

Reaction score
[emoji23] God damn, I forgot about that. Thanks for the laugh...

I lived on sabado tarde right behind the liquor store, no shortage of people watching from the balcony.

My brother was a 22yo deputy working Isla Vista writing drunk in public citations. Good thing he didn't come across Ron White. LOL

Paul65k

Reaction score

I was planning on staying in the RV Park at the Elks Lodge......full hook-ups @$30 a night and pretty close to everything :)

yz450mm

Reaction score
I was planning on staying in the RV Park at the Elks Lodge......full hook-ups @$30 a night and pretty close to everything :)
Nice! I had no idea...

If you end up going, make sure you get a burrito at Freebirds.

Paul65k

Reaction score
Nice! I had no idea...

Will do....thanks for the tip!!

4Waters

Reaction score
Nice! I had no idea...

Freebirds good stuff, another great place is in Santa Ynez, it's called Santa Ynez Burrito. It's inside a mom and pop market. Really good.

throttle

c ya on da lake
Reaction score
Txt last last nite from coworker. 60mph wind gusts all day, fire raging toward Santa Barbara, worst case scenario.

yz450mm

Reaction score
Txt last last nite from coworker. 60mph wind gusts all day, fire raging toward Santa Barbara, worst case scenario.

The front side of LPNF is just primed and ready to go. I can't imagine what would happen if it got going, no IC would even put structure protection in place because of the density of the fuels.

DLC

Reaction score
Did you check out Jalama Beach they have a nice state beach and it’s quiet this time of year, it’s a little farther north. And it’s out of the way.

Also up in Pismo is Availa beach north side of the bay

Both are great little camping gems

pixrthis

Reaction score
Yup....hard to argue with the logic you guys are putting out.

We need to be in Thousand oaks for Christmas and were thinking we would celebrate our anniversary in SB on the 22nd. Been looking at alternatives and not too many places to camp anywhere close to Thousand Oaks at all never mind finding one a week out :(

Hmmm......maybe we'll just stay home this year and have an intimate Christmas here in Havasu.
Try Thornhill Broom Beach just south of Point Magu, you should be out of the smoke and really close to TO.

Paul65k

Reaction score
Did you check out Jalama Beach they have a nice state beach and it’s quiet this time of year, it’s a little farther north. And it’s out of the way.

Also up in Pismo is Availa beach north side of the bay

Both are great little camping gems
I did....Jalama beach is closed on the 22nd and all campers need to relocate on that day:(.............Thanks for the idea though :)

Tank

Reaction score
I would be willing to bet McGrath has spots. Now, I am a little hesitant to even recommend that place because it had been closed down for like 5 years and flooded due to nature natzis not letting the river flow to the sea right next to the camp ground. So I think the grounds aren’t going to be super nice. But it is on the beach and about 5 miles to down town Ventura and about 30 miles from SB. If you’re stuck might be worth checking out.

IMG_0784.JPG
IMG_0785.JPG

Paul65k

Reaction score
OK so thanks to everyone's advice I just booked us into Leo Carrillo Campground. We found a pull through spot with hook-ups on the far side of the park (from Malibu Canyon) not far from the beach and we'll head there on Thursday. Bummer we won't get to be in Santa Barbara for our anniversary but we'll just have to make due with Malibu :D

Thanks for all the help and advice inmates............it IS truly appreciated!!!

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
You'll love Leo Carrillo. Tide pools in Rocky cave beaches. Head a little bit north to Neptune's Net for some chowder and a beer on the patio and people watch. If you like bikes hit up the rock store. Great base camp with good access to a ton of things to do.

Paul65k

Reaction score
You'll love Leo Carrillo. Tide pools in Rocky cave beaches. Head a little bit north to Neptune's Net for some chowder and a beer on the patio and people watch. If you like bikes hit up the rock store. Great base camp with good access to a ton of things to do.
Thanks.....Neptune's Net was always a regular stop riding the bikes up the coast when we lived in OC:cool:

Paul65k

Reaction score
OK So...................................We changed our plans and came to Malibu for our Anniversary/Christmas trip after Santa Barbara became a fire hazard and got luck enough to find a great spot here at Leo Carrillo SB (with hook-ups).....that's the good news!!

Just heard on the news that a fire broke out this morning at Malibu Canyon and PCH.........WTF??????

Meaney77

Reaction score
Fake news... watching the local news now and no word. Also searched the web and didnt see anything. If there is a fire, its gotta be small and contained since I dont see anything in the news.

Tank

Reaction score
I’m 30 minutes north of Malibu and 30 minutes south of Santa Barbara. Skies are clear. [emoji106]

I actually think you’d be ok in SB this weekend as well
Image1513965012.745640.jpg

Paul65k

Reaction score
I’m 30 minutes north of Malibu and 30 minutes south of Santa Barbara. Skies are clear. [emoji106]

I actually think you’d be ok in SB this weekend as well View attachment 609263

Yup....probably would have been fine but a few days out it was still a bit "Iffy"........gives us something to look forward to next year :D