WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Anyone had a boat buyer come back 4 months later wanting a refund?

gqchris

Reaction score
Sold a boat to a guy in April from Offer Up. Anyone that has bought anything off me knows how detail oriented I am! I wont get into exact details, but I get a nice letter today registered mail stating that he wants his money back because the boat has torque steer when getting on a plane (Older Outboard, Cable Steering) and there is some fuel leak (probably from him overfilling a tank) and I almost "blew his family up". (This is an outboard boat!). He gives me 3 choices, Buy the boat back at full price, fix his issues, or see me in court.

I choose Option 4, Fuck off bro.

Anyone been down this road before? Its a first for me! After years of selling toys. WOW!

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
Sold a boat to a guy in April from Offer Up. Anyone that has bought anything off me knows how detail oriented I am! I wont get into exact details, but I get a nice letter today registered mail stating that he wants his money back because the boat has torque steer when getting on a plane (Older Outboard, Cable Steering) and there is some fuel leak (probably from him overfilling a tank) and I almost "blew his family up". (This is an outboard boat!). He gives me 3 choices, Buy the boat back at full price, fix his issues, or see me in court.

Anyone been down this road before? Its a first for me! After years of selling toys. WOW!
Option 4 was a good choice. 👍

PaPaG

Reaction score
I agree with you, anyone can drive the crap out of a boat in 4 months and then decide they bought something not right for them...what to do? SELL IT and shut the fuck up, trying to go after the old owner is crazy.....but it todays world it does not surprise me Chris.

ka0tyk

Warlock Performance Boats Merchandise Connections
Reaction score
Could be two to three years, could be two minutes. Don’t care heh.

sintax

Reaction score
Mind blowing; not only did that clown get a stellar deal on something, he didn’t even know wtf he was buying?

Tell him I’ll buy the boat from him for 8k

Boat 405

Reaction score
As long as you sold the boat with a bill of sale stating as is, where is, no warranties expressed or implied.
You are good. Otherwise you could have some problems if he decides to pursue this seriously in court.

hallett21

Reaction score
Do you have a bill of sale saying it's sold as is with no warranty?

IMG_7920.jpg

Do you need to exclude a warranty in CA?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bajastu

Reaction score
The term “used” implies that nothing is new and things might develop issues down the road if not maintained or fixed. B.O.A.T. Bust out another thousand and move on.

Always sell a motor vehicle with a bill of sale with the proper verbiage. Sold as is, no warranty expressed or implied.

gqchris

Reaction score
Do you have a bill of sale saying it's sold as is with no warranty?
No Bill Of Sale, Was an Arizona Boat and Cali Trailer so I have the paperwork from signing off and releasing my liability.

gqchris

Reaction score
So basically he bought a hot rod and his wife is pissed because he doesn’t know how to operate it?

Option 5. Give him a link to this thread [emoji16]

It was NOT the Baker, but I dont want to put which boat it is in case he is trolling here, but I doubt it.

DWC

Reaction score
Sucks anytime there’s a problem with a boat. That being said, it’s a used boat. It’s as is after the test drive. I’d go with option 5. 50cents on the dollar and put it back on rdp. :cool:

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score

Years ago I had this happen. We sold our boat as part of our divorce... The guy that bought it called 2 months later saying it was too big, that we should have trained him to use it, that his kid left it running on the trailer and burned up the water pump. Threatened to sue me, blew up my emails, my ex's phone. Guy went so far as threatening to call my Ex's commanding officer (she's an army doc). Once he threw that threat she got military legal involved. I sent him a very polite but stern fuck you. Never heard from him again.

It was 100% buyers remorse, the boat was mint, had 140hrs on it etc. If it wasn't for having to sell it I would still own it. His wife was not about it from day one... Sounds like your buyer got buyers remorse..fuck him, and respond as such. Used sales are as-is..guy is delusional to think otherwise.

Mr. C

going back in time
Reaction score
It’s used Maybe try and talk him through adjustments on the torque steering. Or just ignore it.

On a serious question. I have dual cable on mine and towards top end you can’t turn the boat right with both hands without a lot of effort. We are talking 50ish Is it an adjustment. Or would hydraulic be the way to go. Also had the transom fixed years ago so could the motor itself be tilted or off balance.

Back to the bashing. Lol. [emoji106]

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Couple of days? I’ll look at it.. 4 months? You aren’t getting a free season on me.. enjoy your boat.

There is another option you didn’t look at though. Is the boat worth more now? If it is buy it back at a discount and resell it again

Happy Smitty

Reaction score
Obviously doen not understand what it is to buy a used boat. 🤣

Put six hours on my old boat after purchase and the crank snapped. Apparently they never clearanced the block after the rebuild. And guess what, nobody cares.

Waffles

Banned
Reaction score
So basically he bought a hot rod and his wife is pissed because he doesn’t know how to operate it?

Option 5. Give him a link to this thread [emoji16]

This is the only option left on the table. Every other option gets thrown out the window from here on out 😂

Waffles

Banned
Reaction score
It’s used Maybe try and talk him through adjustments on the torque steering. Or just ignore it.

On a serious question. I have dual cable on mine and towards top end you can’t turn the boat right with both hands without a lot of effort. We are talking 50ish Is it an adjustment. Or would hydraulic be the way to go. Also had the transom fixed years ago so could the motor itself be tilted or off balance.

Give an inch and they’ll take a mile. Him replying with help will make it look like he knew that there was a problem with the boat even if there wasn’t. I’d ignore it

Mr. C

going back in time
Reaction score
Give an inch and they’ll take a mile. Him replying with help will make it look like he knew that there was a problem with the boat even if there wasn’t. I’d ignore it

Totally 100% understand that.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score

gqchris

Reaction score

Its just the nature of cable steering. Not sure what he was expecting. Could have asked for a sea trial or inspection. I even advised it.

gqchris

Reaction score
Couple of days? I’ll look at it.. 4 months? You aren’t getting a free season on me.. enjoy your boat.

There is another option you didn’t look at though. Is the boat worth more now? If it is buy it back at a discount and resell it again

Thats what I said Dave. I have handled things a couple of days, even couple weeks. Because I know how boats are. But hell, the guy acts like the motor fell off and sunk!

Once this shit blows over ill post the letter. Its comedy at its best!

buck35

Reaction score
Curious how many hours he's put on it??

Mr. C

going back in time
Reaction score
Its just the nature of cable steering. Not sure what he was expecting. Could have asked for a sea trial or inspection. I even advised it.

Oh I get. Maybe I’ll start a thread on outboard cable vs hydraulic. Just mine has never been this hard to turn. Unbolting the the cables the motor turns both ways really easy. The wheel turns super easy unhooked and hooked up out the water. Just not at speed. Sorry for the jack.

Your ad here

Reaction score
Dave should create a sub forum for stories like this. There are so many characters out there that just make you go, WOW!

nowski

Reaction score
Option 6: Judge Judy

Agree to go on the show so she can chew him up and spit him out for all to see...

2Driver

Reaction score
I wouldn’t respond at least without legal advise.

I would think he would have to prove with out doubt

1. You gave an implied warranty of condition.
2. You purposely deceived the buyer of a known condition or problem

Ignore him would be my advise. If you start in with him it starts his process. just my 02.

Good Luck

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score

LOL...., first thing I would do is find out how much he used it... then deduct the boat rental amount from the sales price.... along with loss of use for that period... next I would deduct depreciation .... also figure in cost to advertise, and loss of potential buyers.... I would make him pay for a complete marine inspection to make sure it wasn't damaged after the sale....at that point I would be able to make him an educated offer on "HIS" boat.... If he titled it in his name.....there is no ties....

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
Thats what I said Dave. I have handled things a couple of days, even couple weeks. Because I know how boats are. But hell, the guy acts like the motor fell off and sunk!

Once this shit blows over ill post the letter. Its comedy at its best!
letters are toilet paper,... summons are the real deal.....any body can go to small claims court,... even if they don't have a case...

cofooter

Reaction score

In that situation your own option is always the best.