WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Anyone had a boat buyer come back 4 months later wanting a refund?

guest hs

Reaction score
Wow this blows my mind! My son just bought a boat and the engine literally exploded caught boat on fire etc. If you buy something used you assume the liability of it. It’s called Buyer Beware. I would never try to return something I bought used. You want something perfect Buck Up and buy new! On the other hand I don’t sell anything that isn’t what I say it is.

2Driver

Reaction score
Stay focused and dont get wrapped around the axle with all the options

He is accusing you of:

1 Breach of a warranty contract
2. Deception of condition

Neither have a gram of warrant. Used sales are considered as is unless otherwise documented in the sale

Ignore him for now

707dog

Reaction score
yup it happen with a boat i sold he went from a 80s ski boat to a performance boat... I would get a call here and there with questions on operations of the boat then nothing. about 2-3 months go by then a call asking the who ,what and when shit asking for build sheet on the engine and parts used(which he had on email) it was on the tip of his tongue but it never came out to straight up ask for help rebuilding a already fresh engine that he smoked. after about 5-6 phone calls of back n forth with him on what might have failed and what to fix, i get a call from the engine builder with the real story how he was on the pin and trying to keep pace with a his buddies fountain with twins from Stockton to disco bay. he called me twice asking if i was interested in buying the boat back as is 🤪 he went through another engine plus a drive after that and the back stories only got better. not bagging on him but he probably should of stayed in that ski boat.

gqchris

Reaction score

He is accusing you of:

Neither have a gram of warrant. Used sales are considered as is unless otherwise documented in the sale

Ignore him for now

Thanks 2Driver. Appreciate the legal insight. Im ignoring it.

2Driver

Reaction score
I did a similar but different thing last year. Texted the guy I sold my old boat to if he wants to sell it back to me. Fucker ignored me lol

Ha I literally did the same for my old Ultra. My old neighbor was supposed to give me first right of refusal.
fucker. :)

gqchris

Reaction score
yup it happen with a boat i sold he went from a 80s ski boat to a performance boat... I would get a call here and there with questions on operations of the boat then nothing. about 2-3 months go by then a call asking the who ,what and when shit asking for build sheet on the engine and parts used(which he had on email) it was on the tip of his tongue but it never came out to straight up ask for help rebuilding a already fresh engine that he smoked. after about 5-6 phone calls of back n forth with him on what might have failed and what to fix, i get a call from the engine builder with the real story how he was on the pin and trying to keep pace with a his buddies fountain with twins from Stockton to disco bay. he called me twice asking if i was interested in buying the boat back as is [emoji2957] he went through another engine plus a drive after that and the back stories only got better. not bagging on him but he probably should of stayed in that ski boat.

Yup. This guy came from a Bayliner. Sounds exactly the same and not used to to custom West Coast performance boat.

Done-it-again

Reaction score
Sold a boat to a guy in April from Offer Up. Anyone that has bought anything off me knows how detail oriented I am! I wont get into exact details, but I get a nice letter today registered mail stating that he wants his money back because the boat has torque steer when getting on a plane (Older Outboard, Cable Steering) and there is some fuel leak (probably from him overfilling a tank) and I almost "blew his family up". (This is an outboard boat!). He gives me 3 choices, Buy the boat back at full price, fix his issues, or see me in court.

I choose Option 4, Fuck off bro.

Anyone been down this road before? Its a first for me! After years of selling toys. WOW!

You must have sold your boat to my old neigbor. He did the same thing to the guy he bought it from.

He was telling me about it and I said you bought a “used” boat, fix it yourself. In end he got $800 from the guy.

I guess you never get it if you never ask. FYI he was a douche, always scamming to get shit.

I would have picked option 4 too.

HALLETT BOY

Reaction score
I think we’re going to see more of this , boating season is not quite over and I already see year old boats up for sale , motor homes , year old jacked up diesel trucks , and most recently a 3 month old Ram TRX with a flimsy excuse for selling . I know this isn’t definitive proof of anything , but I don’t think we should ignore it . People might be getting spooked or in trouble .

boatdoc55

Rest Easy Retired Boat Mechanic 😢🚤
Reaction score
You guys are seriously slacking here.

did no one ask him if he’s tried a different prop?

View attachment 1037168
Actually there is some truth to this. Back in the 70's Bahama built a 17' or 18' tri-hull with the 4 cyl. Volvo Penta in it and those damn things would torque steer something fierce if one ran a left hand prop on them. Stick a Right hand on it and it worked perfectly. I was told later on the bottoms were a big fricking mess and that's just the way they were. Worked on a bunch of those things in SoCal.

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
I went to court as a witness on a deal like this. Friend sold a Hondo T deck with a Chevrolet to a guy. Guy wanted the matching truck also and bought the whole rig. After he bought it he was bragging how he could pull a grape vine at 80 miles an hour.A little insight into how he took care of stuff. Not much later he blew the boat up, big surprise.Sued him, said he misrepresented. I don’t know what he was told but he claimed he thought he was buying a four bolt motor, and a few other things. Brought in a witness to saw how the cam was junk. It may have been, could’ve been bad when he bought it, he could’ve flatened himself. I was an “ expert” witness as to
The nature of the beast. And how if he wanted a four bolt motor, there were things he could’ve checked, before he bought the boat. It was thrown out.Seemed this guy had a history of this. Ignore it.

$hot

To say what? :)
Reaction score
Thanks 2Driver. Appreciate the legal insight. Im ignoring it.
Just because it’s certified mail doesnt Mean you have to answer it. Hell you could have gotten an empty envelope because he forgot to put the letter in it.
I wouldn’t answer, engaging with him might put you into a corner. The only response would be from a lawyer

gqchris

Reaction score
Proving once again no good news comes certified mail.

I won't sign for one, I just say nope, not interested, send it back.

Yea. I prefer to sign for things and I am glad he did because now I know his cards and will be prepared for when he serves me.

CJ_Donahue

Reaction score
Go to Barnes and Nobels and take the magazine subscription cards from every boat and motor magazine you can find. Sign him up on the bill me later plan.
1) He might learn something.
2) Magazines will send him to collections.

gqchris

Reaction score
Its a weird feeling, because I take it personal that someone thinks I intentionally tried to fuck them over. Like I would devise this whole scheme to offload a floating bomb and do it all from the driveway of where I live! Lol.

Then I have to step back, and realize people are bat shit crazy, and no matter what, this guy would have a complaint no matter what.

This is why I prefer to buy and sell things only here. I know if I am buying from an established inmate here, if shit happens, it was not intentional. And vice versa.

Tank

Reaction score
I had something similar happen once. Sold my daughter Infiniti. Kid shows up, hands me cash. I hand him pink and keys. He shows up a few days later with his mom, she’s yelling at me to give the money back that he didn’t have permission to get the money out of the bank etc etc. I’m like too bad so sad. She’s saying she’s gonna call the police. I say go ahead. I’ll be here. Felt bad but fuck all that. Deals a deal.

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
M me his number and how much you sold the boat for. I will contact him and offer 50% of what he punched it for. LOL win win situation. I need a boat and he hates the one that he has.

K...Thanks...Bye!!!

FishSniper

Reaction score
Its a weird feeling, because I take it personal that someone thinks I intentionally tried to fuck them over. Like I would devise this whole scheme to offload a floating bomb and do it all from the driveway of where I live! Lol.

Then I have to step back, and realize people are bat shit crazy, and no matter what, this guy would have a complaint no matter what.

This is why I prefer to buy and sell things only here. I know if I am buying from an established inmate here, if shit happens, it was not intentional. And vice versa.
Cant take it personal. Not your problem this individual is a scamming moron.

CoolCruzin

Reaction score
Years back a guy in my car club sold his rod to this guy .
Made a bill is sale .
A bitchin car best of everything.
3 months later engine take a shit .
Buyer wants money back
He ends up in court .
He offered the buyer to buy it back now .
For the price on the bill of sale .
Lol. $15k. on the bill of sale .
Sold the car for 70k to the guy .
Buyer kept the car
The bill of sale means a lot .
Buyer was pissed off.
Wasted time .

Tell the dude to pound sand.
I wouldn’t even answer back .

EmpirE231

Reaction score

He is accusing you of:

Ignore him for now

this is the right thing to do...especially to avoid any actual court time / liabilities.

but we all would love to tell a guy like that to fuck off lol

I sold a truck when I was around 23. Very clean lifted 1/2 ton that was around 5 years old. 2 months go by and the guys dad calls me and said the truck needed brakes...I responded with “uhh.... yeah and?” I think he got the clue and never heard from them again.

HBCraig

Reaction score

I gave you the skis in good faith. ;)

Jakeleft

Reaction score
Is the boat worth more now? If it is buy it back at a discount and resell it again
that was my first thought…..with prices as sky high as they are you might just make out of it with a few extra bucks if your willing to deal with the headache

the510

Reaction score
People these days….. ignore him. Don’t make contact with him.

Orangegazm

Reaction score
If you didn't misrepresent anything, he doesn't have a leg to stand on !!

I believe the limit on small claims is $7500 in California, if he's trying to get more than that back, he would have to get an attorney and would cost him to much.

I would do what others have said and ignore him and his letters.... Almost everyone has a friend that is or knows an attorney and can get a nasty letter sent for free or very cheap, don't respond to that either. If you get a summons to court then you will have to deal with it... I would self represent and make them look like fools !!!

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
I think we’re going to see more of this , boating season is not quite over and I already see year old boats up for sale , motor homes , year old jacked up diesel trucks , and most recently a 3 month old Ram TRX with a flimsy excuse for selling . I know this isn’t definitive proof of anything , but I don’t think we should ignore it . People might be getting spooked or in trouble .

I see it everyday. People buy stuff agree to a price and then try and come up with any reason they can’t pay for it. The stories I could tell and “excuses” are baffling.

franky

Reaction score
Oh I get. Maybe I’ll start a thread on outboard cable vs hydraulic. Just mine has never been this hard to turn. Unbolting the the cables the motor turns both ways really easy. The wheel turns super easy unhooked and hooked up out the water. Just not at speed. Sorry for the jack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thats what the little adjustable tab under the cav plate is for…

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
Yep. I offer the standard 30/30. 30 Seconds or 30 feet, which ever comes first.
thats also covered under the property line clause... once it crosses the property line,, you own it... I sold a corvette one time with a new motor...guy lived in overton,... he paid me for it, and I agreed that next time he had to come to vegas, I would drive the vette out to him,.... well , on the way there it started to have a miss.... when I got there, I told him about it... figured it was a fouled plug, or something simple... about a year goes by and i get a call....he finally got time to try to fix the miss.... turns out, the cam went flat... when i bought the motor, guy told me he had already ran the motor on engine SIM and broke the cam in... so I said, well, I'll come out tomorrow with a trailer and give his money back and get the car.....no no no he said, he just wanted to let me know what happened..... so we came to the agreement that I would pay for the new cam and gaskets.... some times it's works better to communicate and re neg. just talk it out a bit.... most people get un reasonable when you cut off speaking to them... Some times you can just explain that the boat is just not the right boat for them and they should just sell it...

I also wanna know if the guy did a water test??? and did he come and pick it up him self