WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Anyone had a boat buyer come back 4 months later wanting a refund?

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
Its a weird feeling, because I take it personal that someone thinks I intentionally tried to fuck them over. Like I would devise this whole scheme to offload a floating bomb and do it all from the driveway of where I live! Lol.

Then I have to step back, and realize people are bat shit crazy, and no matter what, this guy would have a complaint no matter what.

This is why I prefer to buy and sell things only here. I know if I am buying from an established inmate here, if shit happens, it was not intentional. And vice versa.
Yeah.... speaking of which..... that free jack plate..... Im gonna need a refund. The paint is scratched up in a couple areas.

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
aside from smart ass responses, to get serious, there is too much info missing.. things like, what was the advertised price? and what did he buy it for..as in did he neg. a lower price because of condition??
was there a water test offered,and did he drive the boat before he paid?, did the buyer inspect it him self, and was it available for inspection?...

truthful for me my response would be to try to communicate...reason with the guy to your responsibility and his..... deals like this usually start with a over powering spouse that makes the guy do and say stupid stuff because their wife runs the show and has them by the balls...

bowtiejunkie

Reaction score
At age 19, I sold my first car (a Honda CRX) to the older brother of a co-worker. Short time later, the water pump failed, throwing timing belt, and sending valves into pistons. Ended up being due to a plugged radiator, per the buyers mechanic. The buyer was paying my mom payments for the car, so I relieved him of $300 (sold car for $3,000) since I wanted to keep the buyer paying Mom. He did pay the remaining balance so that was good.

In the OP’s case, I would not respond. Four months later and coming in hot with a letter complaining about torque steer and a fuel leak. Sounds like buyer’s remorse to me.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
aside from smart ass responses, to get serious, there is too much info missing.. things like, what was the advertised price? and what did he buy it for..as in did he neg. a lower price because of condition??
was there a water test offered,and did he drive the boat before he paid?, did the buyer inspect it him self, and was it available for inspection?...

truthful for me my response would be to try to communicate...reason with the guy to your responsibility and his..... deals like this usually start with a over powering spouse that makes the guy do and say stupid stuff because their wife runs the show and has them by the balls...

Literally none of that matters on a used sale unless Chris comes back and says “yes I put a gun to the guys head and forced him to purchase the boat.”

It is 100% on the buyer to inspect the boat or pay to have it inspected, or request a water test. If they buy it without those things, it’s 100% on them.

I wouldn’t even try to communicate. Let the guy summon him, which he probably won’t.

badgas

Reaction score
I would not respond but then again any time I sell something I make the buyer sign THIS and take a photo of their DL on top of it. This is in addition to any state paperwork title etc. It takes one minute for both of us to sign. If you want to leave out the sales price because you want to cheat the tax man and do not want a paper trail then state for the amount of " mutaully agreed sale price "

I had a close friend sell me a flatbed trailer and made me sign the same thing. It just keeps thing CLEAN and prevents any future drama.

VEHILCE BILL OF SALE

I __________________do sell this 20XX CAR/BOAT/RV ETC VIN#/CF# XXXXXXXXXXXXXX

To ______________________for the amount of $___________________

I ____________________the seller do sell the above-described vehicle to the buyer for the amount shown and certify that all the information provided in this bill of sale is true and accurate to the best of my knowledge.

I _______________________ the buyer have inspected this vehicle and acknowledge receipt of this bill of sale and understand that there is no guarantee or warranty expressed or implied with respect to the above-described vehicle. It is also understood that this is a used vehicle and is sold in AS IS condition and that the seller ________________ has no responsibility for mechanical failures, reliability issues, accidents or any other event that may occur with this vehicle. I ______________ the BUYER do agree that The Seller ______________is released from any and all liability after I sign this document

________________ – SELLER print

_____________________________________10/___/20 sign

__________________-BUYER print

____________________________________10/___/20 sign

gqchris

Reaction score
thats also covered under the property line clause... once it crosses the property line,, you own it... I sold a corvette one time with a new motor...guy lived in overton,... he paid me for it, and I agreed that next time he had to come to vegas, I would drive the vette out to him,.... well , on the way there it started to have a miss.... when I got there, I told him about it... figured it was a fouled plug, or something simple... about a year goes by and i get a call....he finally got time to try to fix the miss.... turns out, the cam went flat... when i bought the motor, guy told me he had already ran the motor on engine SIM and broke the cam in... so I said, well, I'll come out tomorrow with a trailer and give his money back and get the car.....no no no he said, he just wanted to let me know what happened..... so we came to the agreement that I would pay for the new cam and gaskets.... some times it's works better to communicate and re neg. just talk it out a bit.... most people get un reasonable when you cut off speaking to them... Some times you can just explain that the boat is just not the right boat for them and they should just sell it...

I also wanna know if the guy did a water test??? and did he come and pick it up him self
No water test, Yes he picked it up from my driveway himself.

gqchris

Reaction score

Not really any info missing Steve. All of the above was offered. I am not a boat broker. I do not even need to cover any of those bases, but I always do and ask and offer. Yes there was one price, and we did negotiate to a lower price, as I normally do in selling things private party.

And I would have been open to communications 3 months ago. 4+ months and the threatening tone, no thanks.

gqchris

Reaction score
Yeah.... speaking of which..... that free jack plate..... Im gonna need a refund. The paint is scratched up in a couple areas.

HAHA, that Jack Plate is all yours sir:) NO refunds! :D Im just glad its getting a chance at life again!

Singleton

Reaction score
I would ignore the letter.
If he sends another one certified and signature required, I would find a lawyer friend and draft a nice response.
Or offer to purchase boat back at FMV taking into account all issues he just documented that were not present at time of sale (Maybe 50% of original price), fix all the broken shit and sell again at original price next spring.

bocco

Reaction score
yup it happen with a boat i sold he went from a 80s ski boat to a performance boat... I would get a call here and there with questions on operations of the boat then nothing. about 2-3 months go by then a call asking the who ,what and when shit asking for build sheet on the engine and parts used(which he had on email) it was on the tip of his tongue but it never came out to straight up ask for help rebuilding a already fresh engine that he smoked. after about 5-6 phone calls of back n forth with him on what might have failed and what to fix, i get a call from the engine builder with the real story how he was on the pin and trying to keep pace with a his buddies fountain with twins from Stockton to disco bay. he called me twice asking if i was interested in buying the boat back as is 🤪 he went through another engine plus a drive after that and the back stories only got better. not bagging on him but he probably should of stayed in that ski boat.

Is that the guy that bought the red Hallett?

traquer

Reaction score
Thousands of vehicles are sold every day, most not in tip top shape. There's legal precedent set for all this and court ain't gonna care. Otherwise you'd have cases piling up the moment word gets out that you can make a buck. Private party used is as-is, no exceptions. If he serves you, I'd just tell him what I said above.

Xring01

Reaction score
That guys is an idiot. We all know that, but that may not stop the said idiot from doubling down on stupid...

Some scumbag lawyer will tell him that he has a case, and take more of idiots $$$, which could create a headache for you.

For now, just ignore him. Be prepared to deal with him when / if he doubles down on stupid.

traquer

Reaction score
That guys is an idiot. We all know that, but that may not stop the said idiot from doubling down on stupid...

Some scumbag lawyer will tell him that he has a case, and take more of idiots $$$, which could create a headache for you.

For now, just ignore him. Be prepared to deal with him when / if he doubles down on stupid.

I work with a few lawyers, and I disagree. Only if they think they can win the case, or if they can make enough money upfront will they take it. You think scumbag would fork up a few grand for lawyer fees for an unwinnable case? If so, then yeah it sucks lol

HB2Havasu

Reaction score
I had a guy about 20 years ago buy a Competition Ski Boat off of me. At the time of purchase he was $2,000 short of the selling price. So we made an agreement that he would pay the balance in 30 Days and at the time it was paid I would hand over the signed title. I gave him a Bill of Sale that specifically stated 'AS IS CONDITION" with $2,000 balance due in 30 Days. So guess what. On Day 29 he calls me and says the boat needs $1975 dollars in repairs. (How Ironic, it was only $25 less than what he owed me, lol) He then goes on to tell me if I agree to pay for the repairs he'll let me slide for the $25 bucks. (So nice of him, lol) I then explain to him that the Bill of Sale states the boat was in 'AS IS CONDITION' and there was absolutely nothing wrong with the boat when he took ownership. I then also tell him that this the Biggest Piece of Shit Move I've ever experienced, and he should be ashamed of himself trying to hustle me. By this time I'm fucking fuming mad! Then I told him if you want the Signed Off Title you need to overnight the $2,000 dollars you owe me by the following day or I'm coming to repossess the boat on Day 31. Guess What - Fed-Ex dropped off the check the next day and I never heard from that POS again. Ugghhh / Some Peoples Children. SMH

Last edited:

Xring01

Reaction score
I work with a few lawyers, and I disagree. Only if they think they can win the case, or if they can make enough money upfront will they take it. You think scumbag would fork up a few grand for lawyer fees for an unwinnable case? If so, then yeah it sucks lol
Maybe you have more faith in lawyers. I have seen lawyers take advantage of stupid a few times. Easy money for them. Most dont care if the win or lose. They just want to get paid.... And taking advantage of idiots can get them paid.

C-Ya

Int’l Maritime Captain
Reaction score
I would respond back to his letter with……..

Please explain your legal theory, backed by specific case law.

Also make sure that he knows that you are prepared to sue him for any legal costs you incurre while defending his legal action.

”Sir….. if you think it’s expensive to fix the boat, it will seem almost free, once you see recieve the bill for my legal representation for your frivolous lawsuit” Please send future correspondence to my attorneys….. Dewey, Cheatum, and How.

jetboatperformance

Reaction score
"all sales are final , No cooling off period , no warranty or guaranty expressed or implied" ... option #4

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
Not really any info missing Steve. All of the above was offered. I am not a boat broker. I do not even need to cover any of those bases, but I always do and ask and offer. Yes there was one price, and we did negotiate to a lower price, as I normally do in selling things private party.

And I would have been open to communications 3 months ago. 4+ months and the threatening tone, no thanks.
here's the key points missing,... first, your advertised price....the buyer decided it was too high and upon his inspection wanted a discount to a lower price... that right there blows his whole case... next,... he came and inspected the boat before buying, at that time he could have brought some one more knowledgeable to make the inspection,... also at that time he could have demanded a sea trial, or walked away...he offered a lower than advertise price to cover any un known repairs...which brings straight forward the as is where is,....discounted price

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
myself, I would at least try to work it out... try to reason with the guy and bring up that he should have done a better job picking out a boat,.. but I also use this line,... Just sell the boat, some one will pay what you did...

Your ad here

Reaction score
Really when it comes down to it the buyer bought a used boat and used it. Unless it was written you would warranty it their is no warranty you have to honor. They're having problems and trying to make it your problem now. You have no obligation to do anything once they took ownership.

TITTIES AND BEER

Honorary RDP Inmate #160 Emeritus - R.I.P. Mark 😢
Reaction score
Nope fuck him , you don’t know how he treated the boat and I would just not reply back , if he lawyers up then explain to him you will go after fees and time 🤬

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
Sold a boat to a guy in April from Offer Up. Anyone that has bought anything off me knows how detail oriented I am! I wont get into exact details, but I get a nice letter today registered mail stating that he wants his money back because the boat has torque steer when getting on a plane (Older Outboard, Cable Steering) and there is some fuel leak (probably from him overfilling a tank) and I almost "blew his family up". (This is an outboard boat!). He gives me 3 choices, Buy the boat back at full price, fix his issues, or see me in court.

I choose Option 4, Fuck off bro.

Anyone been down this road before? Its a first for me! After years of selling toys. WOW!
All Sales Final.... signed.

Water Romper

Reaction score
Just curious, I wonder if there is "case-law" where someone actually did file suit to get a refund on a used boat/car/vehicle and won.
Of course, there are hundreds of scenarios that can have different results but to get back to the basics here, guys buys a used boat now its his boat-period. Unless there was written/documented warranty, or refund if not happy in 30 days etc...or some other promissory for a refund, I think the "Used" equals "As Is" in the private party sector.
Now if you were a dealer, that might have some different assumptions but notice how dealers are VERY specific about refunds, returns etc.
Personally, I would just let it go, Yes, I would love to engage the idiot and get in the mud with him just to beat his ass "legally" But I'm to old and tired and MY TIME is to precious to waste on this dipshit.

I bought my boat used, after 5 outings, lower unit is gone, sucks to be me. Guess I'm dropping another grand to get er' running- ITS A USED BOAT!! I assume all risks.

nowski

Reaction score
Several years ago we fired my mother in laws caregiver and about a year later we received a registered letter from the bitch. She states that we unlawfully terminated her, wants her job back, wants all back pay and if we don't comply she'll take us to court. We ignored the letter and nothing happened, sometimes your best response is no response...

Orangegazm

Reaction score
A lot of people think that "all sales are final" and "as is " sets them free of any responsibility.... that is far from the truth.

If I had a boat with dry rotted floor and I covered said floor with some plywood and new carpet and did not inform the new buyer, I misrepresented the boat and absolutely could be held responsible. Now if I told him and wrote it on the bill of sale.... I would be free of any responsibility. Trust me, I have saved many customers that have been put in this position and have not lost a single case. I'm not an attorney but have been an expert witness for many people that have been screwed by scammers.

This example has nothing to do with this boat, just giving everyone a heads up.

bowtiejunkie

Reaction score
I’m calling the seller of my 1971 Chevelle. Guy sold me a money pit 25 years ago…lol

Buyers that contact seller after purchase looking for a refund or otherwise crack me up. Every buyer has the opportunity to have a mechanic do a full inspection before purchase.

hell, even new vehicles are as is where is, except whatever warranty covers.

OkHallett270

Reaction score
I would not respond but then again any time I sell something I make the buyer sign THIS and take a photo of their DL on top of it. This is in addition to any state paperwork title etc. It takes one minute for both of us to sign. If you want to leave out the sales price because you want to cheat the tax man and do not want a paper trail then state for the amount of " mutaully agreed sale price "

I had a close friend sell me a flatbed trailer and made me sign the same thing. It just keeps thing CLEAN and prevents any future drama.

VEHILCE BILL OF SALE

I ____________________the seller do sell the above-described vehicle to the buyer for the amount shown and certify that all the information provided in this bill of sale is true and accurate to the best of my knowledge.

I _______________________ the buyer have inspected this vehicle and acknowledge receipt of this bill of sale and understand that there is no guarantee or warranty expressed or implied with respect to the above-described vehicle. It is also understood that this is a used vehicle and is sold in AS IS condition and that the seller ________________ has no responsibility for mechanical failures, reliability issues, accidents or any other event that may occur with this vehicle. I ______________ the BUYER do agree that The Seller ______________is released from any and all liability after I sign this document

Depending on what state you’re in a bill of sale like this is useless unless it’s notarized.

farmo83

Reaction score
A while ago a family friend sold a boat to some college kids. They used it for the summer and sold it again. The new owner ran it up on a sand bar and claimed the college kids sold them the boat knowing the transom was rotten. The college kids then gave the guy his money back AND called my friend to get money from him. Ken laughed and hung up the phone.

DLC

Reaction score
My wife had a 1998 Camaro SS red ext, gray cloth interior listed it for sale in 2002/3 guy came out twice to look and take for a test drive…. He got all pissy about the cloth interior, he wanted leather ….
Wife said leather isn’t good for wearing skirts and short dresses…

He finally bought it for $30,000

Called 2 weeks later said he broke his leg and can’t drive with a clutch.

Wife said bring it back I’ll have $20,000 cash waiting after an inspection is made!

He didn’t call back again!

4 moths is way to long to mess with! Tune up your outdoor cameras for just in case !

Always take a pic of Drivers Lic!

Send him a restraining order! After tell him to FO!!

rrrr

Reaction score

VEHILCE BILL OF SALE

I produced a similar Bill of Sale document for my own use about 25 years ago. I've sold cars, trucks, boats, PWCs, and other motorized stuff over the years, and have never had an issue with a buyer.

These days it's smart to use a similar document that covers all the bases. There are too many fucktards out there.

gqchris

Reaction score
My wife had a 1998 Camaro SS red ext, gray cloth interior listed it for sale in 2002/3 guy came out twice to look and take for a test drive…. He got all pissy about the cloth interior, he wanted leather ….
Wife said leather isn’t good for wearing skirts and short dresses…

He finally bought it for $30,000

Called 2 weeks later said he broke his leg and can’t drive with a clutch.

Wife said bring it back I’ll have $20,000 cash waiting after an inspection is made!

He didn’t call back again!

4 moths is way to long to mess with! Tune up your outdoor cameras for just in case !

Always take a pic of Drivers Lic!

Send him a restraining order! After tell him to FO!!

Yup i took pic of his license. Just checked it and he has a class AM1 End TN license. Interesting.

10-4 on the camera tune up and EDC program tighten up!

Reactions: DWC

crzy2bealive

Reaction score
When I bought my first boat I didn’t realize the transom was rotten. Not once did I think of calling the previous owner to complain. It was a learning lesson for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gqchris

Reaction score
When I bought my first boat I didn’t realize the transom was rotten. Not once did I think of calling the previous owner to complain. It was a learning lesson for me.

Same here I have so many stories of buying things that were as they seemed. Never once did I reach out the to the seller.

stingray11

Reaction score
Same here I have so many stories of buying things that were as they seemed. Never once did I reach out the to the seller.
If You're spending more than a couple grand on a boat you need to get a marine survey done. Or at least take a marine mechanic with you that's not that expensive

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

gqchris

Reaction score
If You're spending more than a couple grand on a boat you need to get a marine survey done. Or at least take a marine mechanic with you that's not that expensive

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk
I always do PPI's and Inspections. I guess since I can only afford older boats, its the nature of the game. Shit happens.

Maw

Dont re Member
Reaction score

It took me 25 boats or so to experience this one, plus the stringers were in the same shape. I've just poured a new 3" thick transom with SeaCast and have the liner hanging while we do the stringers.

Nanu/Nanu

Don't wait til' life's easy to be happy
Reaction score
Hide the letter shit ain't official until you get served this guy is a class one douche. So many of us on here including myself have bought toys that were awesome during the test drives only to have issues surface after the purchase. Lifes a bitch sell the boat if you don't like it.

Best of luck

HALLETT BOY

Reaction score
Anybody can sue these days , usually buying used is considered as is , unless a warranty is offered . If he does decide to take you to court , all it takes is one gruff old judge that something like this has happened to , and you may be in trouble . If he sues , definitely lawyer up .

77charger

Reaction score

I remember you posting that.Something like that an avg boat buyer or even owner would not know how to tell if its rotten or not i know i probably couldnt unless taught what to look for.