WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Anyone have a Jag F-Type?

cnj

Reaction score
Considering a previously owned one (2016) to replace the wife's Infiniti. What is the good/bad? Any issues to be concerned about?

BajaMike

Reaction score
I think they look nice but a lot of owners complain of expensive and hard to get maintenance......just heresay, so I don’t know. Get a “certified” used one from a dealer and it will have a 100k mile warranty....

Chili Palmer

Master of My Domian
Reaction score
If you do, get a V8. The 6 cylinder ones sound like ass.

Hypnautic

Reaction score
I stepped out of an Xj6 than Xj8 over to a beautiful S-type and now into a XF. Never a F type but the tech is the same. I personally think they are great cars. Long past the electrical issues of the late 80’s early 90’s.
My S type had 218K on the clock and only reason I don’t have it now was it needed all new front bushings and shocks on all 4. Each shock is over $700. Motor and trans were super strong. No smoke, no rattle, no trans slip. Like any British or German high line car parts can get expensive if you service at dealership. So after warranty you need a good honest mechanic. I think these cars go an easy 250K with regular maintenance and service.

sfury

Reaction score
Like people say.. make sure your close to the dealership so you can visit it and once warranty runs out bail out. JMO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score
1. It's a Jag
2. Jags' value are crashing
3. It's a Jag

I wouldn't get one without an extended factory warranty

But I wouldn't get one with an extended factory warranty

There are better, nicer cars than that to buy

cnj

Reaction score
Wow. Good input. I knew I could count on the braintrust here.

MeCasa16

Reaction score
We rented one for a weekend to try it. As long as you don’t want to carry anything it’s great. You won’t get hardly any luggage in it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hypnautic

Reaction score
Most that say not to buy a Jag have never owned one. They just repeat old adages. Some have had a bad experience, but the brand has changed. Jag’s create a different driving experience. It’s like driving a BMW and thinking you know what’s it’s like to drive an Mseries. Different experience.
Servicing these cars is not that difficult anymore. Standard, easy to find oil filters. Oil changes every 5-10k depending on the driving. Brake rotors are not able to be resurfaced, by design but not anymore expensive than other vehicles.

cnj

Reaction score
Most that say not to buy a Jag have never owned one. They just repeat old adages. Some have had a bad experience, but the brand has changed. Jag’s create a different driving experience. It’s like driving a BMW and thinking you know what’s it’s like to drive an Mseries. Different experience.
Servicing these cars is not that difficult anymore. Standard, easy to find oil filters. Oil changes every 5-10k depending on the driving. Brake rotors are not able to be resurfaced, by design but not anymore expensive than other vehicles.

Hmmmm. I knew the Jags of old were notoriously unreliable, and was sure the quality had improved after Ford purchased the Co. Just wasn't clear on the cars now. For a cool car, I was actually toying with the idea of an older Ferrari for about, oh.....5 minutes. But I need the car to be reliable, as the wife travels back to CA every 6 weeks. Definitely don't wanna see her stranded in the middle of nowhere.

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
My neighbor has had an S type and an XF, he really thought both were wonderful cars until recently the XF started nickel and dime-ing him then needed a transmission, at $15,000 he felt was a bit unreasonable for a transmission.
He bought his preowned and it was out of warranty.

DrunkenSailor

Reaction score
On any European car get the warranty if you can they all get expensive after it's done.

The f type is one of the most beautiful card I have ever seen. They have the best exhaust note too. Really cool cars and it will be more reliable than a Ferrari

DLC

Reaction score
I would love to get an F type if I was a car guy, they are beautiful!

My mom drove a Jag 2 door with the V12 smoothest running car very little vibration throughout. Tons of power and she had no issues

What i don’t get are the Maserati cars 2 or 4 door I see a lot of em driving around town, one dealer in San Diego....

BajaMike

Reaction score
I would love to get an F type if I was a car guy, they are beautiful!

My mom drove a Jag 2 door with the V12 smoothest running car very little vibration throughout. Tons of power and she had no issues

What i don’t get are the Maserati cars 2 or 4 door I see a lot of em driving around town, one dealer in San Diego....

Those Maserati’s sure look and sound nice.

Reactions: DLC

Rjt01

Reaction score
Soooooo , jag , Land Rover are owned by an Indian company called TATA industry and gave jag and rover free raine on the cars that they build . Most components in those cars are German , BMW but the engine in the F Type is German ford V8 . The standards for these cars are way higher than before . I owned multiple rovers and never had any huge issues with them . Worst one was the air compressor took a shit not long after I bought it and was covered by the warranty. Oh all my cars were used not new . Was looking at the f type just the other day lol and when I am ready that’s what will be coming home with me . Keep up the service at all costs and u won’t have a problem. Find a reputable service center that won’t put the wrong oil in it and go have fun . Way cheaper to maintain than the other high end German cars .

DaBank

Reaction score
I have owed a new Jaguar every 2 years since 2009. They have all been great cars and the dealerships with service has treated us great. Loan cars for service have always been Jaguar. Not one has broken down but the highest mileage we have gone was 48k miles (50k warrenty and maintenance included). So out of pocket expenses was brakes and tires. Our current XFS had 22k miles and the rear tires have worn out and we have been dealing with that issue and the car is at the dealership now. Like I said they been great cars and the dealer in Riverside has been great (Alvarez Jaguar that is now Riverside Jaguar).
Oh yeah the F Type is a awesome car especially the R. Frank

Attachments

• 20180918_073447.jpg
    20180918_073447.jpg
    243.6 KB · Views: 66
  • 20180918_073506.jpg
    20180918_073506.jpg
    224.3 KB · Views: 65
  • 20180918_073432.jpg
    20180918_073432.jpg
    250.6 KB · Views: 70

That Guy

Rack em'
Reaction score
We've had 4 of them....2 XF's an XE and a convertible F type. Don't believe what people are parroting from 1972 Jag experiences. They are well made and drive great. The F type is a ton of fun and we had zero problems with ours....as a side note, we don't keep any European car once the basic warranty is up because just like BMW, Mercedes, Porsche, etc...they get expensive to fix.

If you're looking to keep it for a few years, I would think you'll be fine....good luck!