WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Anyone have any info on land around Kingman or Seligman?

Howardflat

Bad MFer
Reaction score
My pops and I are thinking about buying some acreage around these areas. Mainly for hunting, camping and riding. And maybe down the road build something on. I live in Boulder City and it would be an easy drive. Just looking for some opinions or info. thanks

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
I have 2.5 acres by the 83 mile marker....never been there, owned it for 30 plus years...always figured it would be a good place to get off the grid... you know like if there was a pandemic situation

Flatsix66

Reaction score
It's beautiful around Seligman and Ash fork. I asked a Prescott area realtor about the area and they warned that water access was an issue and the reason for the open undeveloped space.

Beerme

Retired...Time for a cold one!
Reaction score
My grandfather was raised in Seligman so I grew up going there at least a couple times a year. He is buried in the cemetery that pretty much is a small weeded field with barbed wire around it next to the 40. Because of the elevation, I think around 5K, the weather is beautiful year round. My parents and other family members have had property in and around there over the years, but my Grandmother is the only one who still does. She keeps a vacation home in town, but lives in Berdoo. My uncle Tommy was kind of like the town Mayor, although he has passed. He was the town butcher and started the annual "chicken fry" that last lasted well over 50 plus years. The Governor actually came to the chicken fry one year which i got a kick out of. Not much in town, Black Cat (local bar), Lilos (great diner I recommend), Snow Cap (ice cream parlor with humor), and A&W. There is a KOA at the East end of town. People have always been pretty nice, but i'd be lying if tweakerville did not come to mind when I visit.

Taboma

Reaction score
My pops and I are thinking about buying some acreage around these areas. Mainly for hunting, camping and riding. And maybe down the road build something on. I live in Boulder City and it would be an easy drive. Just looking for some opinions or info. thanks

We purchased 40 acres in 04' about 27 miles outside of Kingman off ole Rt66. Prior to the purchase we'd spent 4 years researching and viewing a multitude of properties and areas within roughly 20-40 miles of Kingman. We had a "PLAN", with priorities which allowed us to better focus our time spent looking.

Start with The Plan and List your priorities before you get too deep down the rabbit hole. There's a lot of awesome country out there and there's a million variables.

Ours wasn't hunting, it was building a home that would complement our Havasu place and essentially be close enough to Kingman that would allow my younger wife to continue working, then eventually she'd retire along with me and we'd live happily ever after between both places. It was an AWESOME PLAN 👍

Now 16 years later, all the ducks with the exception of ONE are aligned. We never built the house :(. Everything is there waiting for it. Power, well, gated entry, driveway, house pad, BUT. During those 16 years something occurred we hadn't exactly planned on ----- Your desires, your needs, your physical abilities, your medical priorities, minor little details like that change as you age from your 50's into your 70's ---- life happens and unexpected shit happens too :oops:

With that said, we've never regretted for a second our purchase decision. Despite never having built, we've enjoyed the hell out of owning it, during every season of the year.

We've spent every season of every year with first a Polaris Ranger, and several other subsequent UTVs. Not only exploring our own property in depth (Terrain is quite varied), but pretty much a 40 miles radius with a zillion dirt roads to everywhere and nowhere.
We're not hunters, except with cameras, but the area is certainly hunted by bow and black powder hunters ( Some due to their disrespect of property owners, not highly regarded ). In addition to our time enjoyed dreaming, planning of living there and exploring, we've had the pleasure of meeting some amazing full timer ranch neighbors. Some with local family heritage dating back into the 1800's, talk about a history lesson, very cool.

It's unlikely we'll ever sell the place, it'll get passed along to my two kids, give them something special to dream about and make amazing plans they may or may not ever realize.
There's something special and liberating about sitting on a chunk of barren land, your land, mentally surveying that land, the flora and fauna and the vastness that lies beyond, all while mentally planning for a future that may or may not follow your expectations or plans.
For us, the prize has been the 16 year journey itself.

Good luck with your adventure, 👍 I'll jump in and help if I've got anything of value 😁

Area 31 x 3.jpg

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
As above stated, water can be an issue. Well depth can be a killer for cost. As a hunting plot, or campsite, hauling water isn't tough. As a long term deal, you'd want to look into other options. Most plots are in the 40ac range. Some are easily accessible, others are 4x4 only, and may not have any sort of improved access yet. Most people up around Ashfork are not the sociable types. Nice enough, but live out that way to be more isolated. Local LE don't receive a lot of calls out there.
Seems to be better elk near Ashfork...but that could just be my experience 🤔

WildWilly

Reaction score
I've been looking for a few months now. Got in on a couple auctions even and lost out in the last seconds but I was near my max anyway for just dabbling. But I am starting to get more serious, for similar reasons as others, buy a nice plot now and over time develop it as a second place away from Havasu.

Taboma

Reaction score
As above stated, water can be an issue. Well depth can be a killer for cost. As a hunting plot, or campsite, hauling water isn't tough. As a long term deal, you'd want to look into other options. Most plots are in the 40ac range. Some are easily accessible, others are 4x4 only, and may not have any sort of improved access yet. Most people up around Ashfork are not the sociable types. Nice enough, but live out that way to be more isolated. Local LE don't receive a lot of calls out there.
Seems to be better elk near Ashfork...but that could just be my experience 🤔

Our ranch community has a private FB group page. We do have a POA, which essentially collects annual dues that pay for the 36 miles of community owned roads.
Depending on the seasons which can bring flooding rain or soggy snow, road conditions vary considerably. So it always causes my head to explode when the fresh from the city newbies, purchase, then join the group and start screaming how their Toyota Camry is getting stuck or suffering a flat tire from the rocks.

Not much different than where I live here in No Co San Diego. Folks buy up here, where we back up to essentially a 30 mile long wildlife corridor, then bitch and demand the native animals be killed because one carried off little buffy (Insert purse dog or outdoor cat here).

Some folks should just stay in that downtown condo. :mad:

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
My in-laws had 5 parcels that totaled about 150 acres outside of Peach Springs about 30 minutes outside of Seligman. They bought out there in the 90s and built a nice little compound. FIL had medical issues and they moved to Kingman about 5 years ago. There are a lot of properties out there for sale. The price has not really changed over the last 30 years.

The in-laws never took the risk of drilling for the well. They had a water truck and there was an old well use for the railroad steam trains. They also had a 2500 gallon storage. Old well gone but the building was still there. Cool old building. There was a new well that they could purchase water for about a penny a gallon. There was a large ranch that did have a well but in-laws were worried they would have to pay serious $$$$ with no guaranty. It worked for them. It was a great community of interesting people. They would help each other with work on the properties. I think that they still have a few plots that the MIL has up for sale. The wife and I personally don’t really have any interest, too far out of the way to everything, and hope that she sells all the properties before she passes away.

Howardflat

Bad MFer
Reaction score
All good info. Thanks guys. Another question, I know its down to what you can afford but is there a size of land you wished you got. Say I bought 20 acres but I wish I would have got 40. Or something like that.

WildWilly

Reaction score
All good info. Thanks guys. Another question, I know its down to what you can afford but is there a size of land you wished you got. Say I bought 20 acres but I wish I would have got 40. Or something like that.

Another question I've asked myself. I went and looked at what 20 acres looked like to visualize it and think thats about my minimum but I'm looking more in the 40+ range...as you said its all about what I can afford and how much I get.

yz450mm

Reaction score
My buddy bought 18 acres East of Kingman back in 2015, and just retired last week to move out there and get started on his compound. I loaded up both of our skid steers and headed out there last weekend to get him started on his access roads, and he will be staying on the property in his trailer to continue grading with his Bobcat and get started on infrastructure.

He is about 15 minutes South of the 40, at a nice elevation in the pinyon Pines. It's definitely a very pretty area, and has lots of elevation changes. If you lived out there, you would definitely want some sort of tractor to fix the roads in case of washout from heavy rains.

20200403_144727.jpg
20200404_125237.jpg
20200404_152554.jpg
20200404_154921.jpg
20200405_114206.jpg
20200405_183448.jpg

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Well, I live on 10, love to have 40...it really depends on where it is situated. 2-5 is good, and easy to fence. If that 2-5 is bordered on one or two sides by state land, you're good. Put in a gate out to your "annex".

Cdog

Reaction score
Well, I live on 10, love to have 40...it really depends on where it is situated. 2-5 is good, and easy to fence. If that 2-5 is bordered on one or two sides by state land, you're good. Put in a gate out to your "annex".

This is great advice. My dad and I are looking in Walker/Big Bug Mesa Rd area. I have a friend who owns 35 acres up there that I'm going to help develop and sell off parcels.

Taboma

Reaction score
Another question I've asked myself. I went and looked at what 20 acres looked like to visualize it and think thats about my minimum but I'm looking more in the 40+ range...as you said its all about what I can afford and how much I get.

Mostly that depends on what your plans are for the property and of course the topography. 40 acres relatively flat, provides a lot of options for building or horses or a family type compound. Like Wash 11's place as example. Extremely usable acreage.
Our 40 acres is a mixed bag of flat, cool rock formations, a one hell of a steep mountain that separates us from the property behind us as well as affording us some awesome 'Forever' views. the 40 seemed large when we first bought it, wasn't maybe two years later I was telling my wife how I wanted to buy the adjacent 40. 😁
We voted and I lost 🤔

The 40 did allow us to create a very fun and even somewhat challenging offroad adventure trail on our property. Through small canyons, down an extremely steep hill my wife often chose to walk down :eek: and across a seasonal (Think flash flood) rocky creek. Some people want flat, some with features. But regardless, 40 acres sounds much bigger than it feels out there where land goes on seemingly forever and that mountain you feel you can touch is a bunch of miles away.

Take your time because viewing property out in that country is an adventure, especially after it snows. 😁
2-10-09.jpg

DaveH

Reaction score
lots of property off Knight Ranch road, bout half way between Kingman and Seligman.

sokalkrew

Reaction score
lots of property off Knight Ranch road, bout half way between Kingman and Seligman.
Joel and Dave it’s mike Roberts I bought 40 acres at stagecoach trails about 20 years ago only drove out to see it once , not exactly sure if that’s where your looking

Howardflat

Bad MFer
Reaction score
Joel and Dave it’s mike Roberts I bought 40 acres at stagecoach trails about 20 years ago only drove out to see it once , not exactly sure if that’s where your looking

Whats up Mike! I'm looking further east.

Taboma

Reaction score

Using which route, I40 or Rt 66 ? Halfway between Kingman and Seligman on I40 is Fort Rock, where Joel's (Wash11) located. I imagine there's 40 acre lots for sale there as well as just west of there at Willow Creek Ranches.
Can you be a bit more specific ?

DaveH

Reaction score
Using which route, I40 or Rt 66 ? Halfway between Kingman and Seligman on I40 is Fort Rock, where Joel's (Wash11) located. I imagine there's 40 acre lots for sale there as well as just west of there at Willow Creek Ranches.
Can you be a bit more specific ?
i am thinking you are right. specifically off the 40, there is a closed airport and natural gas pipeline faciltiy. been a while since ive been down there, i may be thinking Fort Rock. dirven out there and seen all the ranches and land available.

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
Just had a moment of clarity. LOL. Remembered my in-laws were on Tracy Trail off of Hyde Park. If anyone is looking in the area I think that she has a couple of parcels available.