WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Converting a MCI bus into an RV...

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
@ka0tyk Since you have the Prevost all dialed in now, you must be looking for a new project?

I don’t know that seems like an awful lot of money for scrap metal.😊 The seller should be happy if somebody will haul it off and not charge him for it. I know, it’s a classic.😬

ka0tyk

Warlock Performance Boats Merchandise Connections
Reaction score
Don’t really post much with all the party poopers. Meanwhile we have been making rounds to a bunch of spots. This weekend was Zion.

00DAAA87-7542-424D-9AC1-8B4DED701214.jpeg

5EAA8F98-4613-4AC2-806A-78C94DF62ECD.jpeg

ka0tyk

Reaction score
How’s it holding up now that you’ve gotten some miles under you?
Mechanically we are golden. Zero issues.

We have since added exterior lights. Bose surround sound inside. Cameras side and rear. Changed the shower fixture to black and changed the plumbing to be more efficient. I purchased a bunch of lithium batteries but sold them in favor of going with a MUCH larger setup and starting to pull the trigger on solar panels for the roof. The generator is sold just needs to be delivered.

The biggest thing we are noticing in campgrounds is the amount inconsistent power and water connections. Thus going for full solar and power and with our inverter we can supplement our system with shore power rather than switch 100% to it. Also water pressure at these campgrounds is very poor, we switching from a backup 12v shurflo pump to a MUCH larger 110v pump setup and we use that 100% with our water tank rather than relying on their water supply and poor pressure directly into our system. One campground we actually had such poor pressure and flow the hot water heater would error because it was sensing the flow was so low. Barely a dribble out of the shower head.

ka0tyk

Reaction score
Changed up our 12v setup from amazon buck converters to a victron unit. Now our 12v is MUCH more stable. I have nothing but great experiences with their products. They just work.

8FC83783-48B4-468C-913E-7A4A5343989B.jpeg

hallett21

Reaction score
Mechanically we are golden. Zero issues.

We have since added exterior lights. Bose surround sound inside. Cameras side and rear. Changed the shower fixture to black and changed the plumbing to be more efficient. I purchased a bunch of lithium batteries but sold them in favor of going with a MUCH larger setup and starting to pull the trigger on solar panels for the roof. The generator is sold just needs to be delivered.

The biggest thing we are noticing in campgrounds is the amount inconsistent power and water connections. Thus going for full solar and power and with our inverter we can supplement our system with shore power rather than switch 100% to it. Also water pressure at these campgrounds is very poor, we switching from a backup 12v shurflo pump to a MUCH larger 110v pump setup and we use that 100% with our water tank rather than relying on their water supply and poor pressure directly into our system. One campground we actually had such poor pressure and flow the hot water heater would error because it was sensing the flow was so low. Barely a dribble out of the shower head.
If you got into a dry camping or off the grid scenario could you just charge the batteries using the main RV engine?

ka0tyk

Reaction score
If you got into a dry camping or off the grid scenario could you just charge the batteries using the main RV engine?
thats def an option... we have about 600a of alternator on the bus. but charging lithium ion batteries is a different beast and they'd need to be modified. but having solar would be the best option. the more the better. we're looking at 10 365w panels and a couple charge controllers.

ka0tyk

Reaction score

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
thats def an option... we have about 600a of alternator on the bus. but charging lithium ion batteries is a different beast and they'd need to be modified. but having solar would be the best option. the more the better. we're looking at 10 365w panels and a couple charge controllers.
You should be able to use a DC to DC charger off the alternator to get lithium charge profile

STV_Keith

Reaction score
Interesting, I've seen the opposite in some places. One campground we stayed at near SF had a warning in their paperwork when you checked in, that their pressure was over 100psi and you would need to use a regulator.

Personally, I always fill the tank and run off of that with the onboard pump. I don't like the idea of being plugged in, other than for power.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Beautiful skies! Glad the weather tax is being put to good use;)

Coach looks beautiful too!

PaPaG

Reaction score
Finally got around to putting a closet door in the back bedroom. Slapped a mirror on it as well. It kinda makes the room feel larger. Other than that we just need to slap the upper side caps on now that we are done wiring wise and that room is complete.

View attachment 1082965 View attachment 1082966
You sure have some great creative talent that is for sure. Always thought this would be an awesome project. Great Job.

Reactions: DLC

buck35

Reaction score
Don't be discouraged by any haters because this is one of the best rides on here!:cool:

Ol Man

Reaction score
Derek, I have always enjoyed your trip videos. Please post.

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
Totally forgot about your build,

So awesome to see it has been working so great for you and the family. Making lifetime memories!

It came out awesome!!!!

77charger

Reaction score
Bad ass job. Good thing doing yourself is you make it exactly the way you want it.

I’m sure it’s easier to buy a built one but doing yourself you can go at your own
Pace pay as you go and know exactly what’s in it.

Reactions: DWC

ka0tyk

Reaction score
@ka0tyk are you dry camping 100% on batteries now?

Dry camping not really, yet. We usually have hookups where we go. But I just tossed in a lot more battery and a shunt. I have a victron cerbo gx and touchscreen on the way along with mppt controllers for 3600w of solar panels. Soon we will be basically be energy independent. It’ll be really amazing to see it all finally working together. I’m really impressed with all the victron equipment.

Singleton

Reaction score
Man, not sure how I missed this one. Just spent the last 3 hours catching up and look forward to watching the videos this weekend.

Amazing build!
This is one of the best threads around.
I have used knowledge shared by @ka0tyk to upgrade my custom ToyHauler.
Looking forward to the all electric upgrade so I can leverage that as well

Ol Man

Reaction score
Any coach updates? It is nice that you have documented so well the process to build this bus and some of your trips. I thoroughly enjoy all of them.

ka0tyk

Reaction score
Any coach updates? It is nice that you have documented so well the process to build this bus and some of your trips. I thoroughly enjoy all of them.
Thanks. We did a koa down in chula vista with some friends and this weekend we are just at “bonelli bluffs” near Pomona. After that we are going to the desert hot springs koa with their hot spring heated pools. Then I think after that we will be heading out to Parker and camping at the lake house with some family. Not sure if we are just pulling next to the house or parking it inside the garage and using the garage acs rather than ours in the 100+ heat.

DCE8103F-D00B-4ADA-9A6F-B2B785594BFF.jpeg

ka0tyk

Reaction score
Little change. 8x lithium batteries. Have it all out on the bench testing and programming. With the storm and possible power outages it’s great timing. I’ve been running a few things in the house on battery power with just half of our bank. Looking forward to putting it all back into the bus and firing it all up. Have a cerbo gx on the way so I can monitor it all remotely. It’s been a great help of victron community and YouTube videos etc to learn about balancing, midpoint connections, wiring, etc. Next step is solar panels and mppt controllers.
IMG_2318.jpeg

ka0tyk

Reaction score
So I’ve been testing these guys out and I must say I’m quite impressed. Charged em all the way up and I’ve been running a portable AC off of it. Almost like 11 hours straight and 200+ ah. Not bad for $250 each. Really good stuff. Was 25+volts just about until the last 30 mins. Then dropped into the 23s. I didn’t want to drag em down too far so called it a good test and charging em back up.

IMG_2345.jpeg

ka0tyk

Reaction score
First things first…

IMG_2431.jpeg

Slapped all the electrical gear, batteries, and a new victron cerbo gx into the bus and headed out to test. Showed up at 10pm to the campground, hooked up and so far everything works. Time to relax.

IMG_2432.jpeg