WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Anyone hear of an accident near Topock?

dirtslinger2

Reaction score
There's 4 ambulances, a couple fire department vehicles and a few Police vehicles in the parking lot right now. Doesn't look good, but I'm not on the water to see anything.

dirtslinger2

Reaction score
Bummer to hear, I've had some close calls around the camping area of Moabi, with people taking off straight out of their Peninsula spot beaches.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Can't look at it without entering info

FATALITY BOAT COLLISION

At 3:35 PM SBSO and MCSO responded CODE 3 to the area of Topock for a boating collision. Initial report was that CPR was in progress on one unconscious subject.
MCSO is advising the call is now being labeled a Fatality boating incident. SBSO is taking command of the scene and MCSO is the assisting agency.
MCSO could not provide details as to the type of boat, or any additional details. We were referred to contact SBSO once their investigation is complete.

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
FATALITY BOAT COLLISION

At 3:35 PM SBSO and MCSO responded CODE 3 to the area of Topock for a boating collision. Initial report was that CPR was in progress on one unconscious subject.
MCSO is advising the call is now being labeled a Fatality boating incident. SBSO is taking command of the scene and MCSO is the assisting agency.
MCSO could not provide details as to the type of boat, or any additional details. We were referred to contact SBSO once their investigation is complete.

Thanks.....terrible.

RIP

Socalx09

Reaction score
So sad. RIP.

Really hoping with a busy summer coming up, that everyone stays safe and no more tragedies happen.

Reactions: DWC

AZRiverRunner

Reaction score
Sad to hear, but once again today, two dumbasses on waverunners come right out of Pirates onto the river, don’t even look to see me coming down River. They didn’t see me until I passed them. I need to install a fucking train horn on my boat!

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
We went through this afternoon, my engineer was a rescue diver, and the way everyone was just standing in the Topock 66 parking lot he immediately said “damn that looks like a fatality” shitty to see he was right.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
I'm curious as to where and how it happened. I'm thinking north of Topock, and that is where they drifted down to?

I launch out of Moabi/Pirates. I do so with both boats and skis. When heading out the inlet there, I kind of treat it like the sign says "Cross Traffic Does Not Stop". If something were to go wrong, the best case scenario would be damaged gelcoat on someone else's nice boat. The worst case scenario would be the above. There's plenty of open space away from the park.

Horrible way to start the season, and end someone's spring break. RIP :(

Mototrig

Reaction score
So sad and not even busy on the water yet. Hopefully this isn't a sign of things to come for the open summer.
RIP to the deceased

The Prisoner

Well-Known RDP Prisoner Inmate #283
Reaction score
Looks like a kid was operating the pwc. Sad situation..

NEEDLES — A boating fatality on the Colorado River is under investigation by the San Bernardino County Sheriff's Department.

Public information officer Cindy Bachman said the incident just north of the Interstate 40 freeway was reported at 3:37 p.m. Monday.

“A pontoon boat was traveling south from the Park Moabi channel at a slow rate of speed when it collided with a personal watercraft that was underway north of the no-wake zone,” a news release stated. “The pontoon boat turned around after impacting the personal watercraft and placed two injured males on board the boat and proceeded to the docks at Topock Marina where they were met by fire department personnel.”

Bachman said David Marcel Aten, 45, of Moorpark, California, was pronounced dead after life-saving measures failed. He was a passenger on the personal watercraft. She said the juvenile who was operating the personal watercraft was taken to a hospital and released after minor injuries were treated.

The operator and the three passengers on the pontoon boat were not hurt.

Anyone with information regarding the incident is asked to contact the San Bernardino County Sheriff's Department Colorado River substation at 760-326-9200. Callers wishing to remain anonymous may call the We-Tip Hotline at 800-78-CRIME (27463), or may leave the information on the We-Tip Hotline at www.wetip.com

The Prisoner

Reaction score
My grandson is 12 and of legal age and he keeps busting my chops to ride mine this summer. No way unless he putts around in a cove in South Cove. No way would I let him in Havasu. He will be 13 in July but I don’t need his, mine, or anybody else’s name in the newspaper..
You bust your balls at work to be able to go and enjoy the lake. It’s sad as hell when it turns ugly for any reason..

River Runnin

Reaction score
Part of the safety card is "You must be a licensed driver to operate a pwc!" When I took it anyway.

Looking Glass

1 = Well = Known = Member
Reaction score
So sad. Hate to hear things like this. Everyone needs to keep their heads on a swivel. RIP to the deceased and prayers for everyone involved.

Not Fun Boating, being on "EDGE" never relaxing constantly looking for the Next Possible Collision.

grumpy88

Reaction score
My grandson is 12 and of legal age and he keeps busting my chops to ride mine this summer. No way unless he putts around in a cove in South Cove. No way would I let him in Havasu. He will be 13 in July but I don’t need his, mine, or anybody else’s name in the newspaper..
You bust your balls at work to be able to go and enjoy the lake. It’s sad as hell when it turns ugly for any reason..
This is exactly why i will not buy one . I could not live with my self if something happened to one of the kids being on a jet ski .

Javajoe

Reaction score
When we had a couple we only took the kids to Lake Mohave. Even though we worried it was still safer than Havasu

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score

Depends on how well ya teach them I suppose.. by the way I think the law is someone has to be 18+ on the vessel until they are sixteen of age??

Universal Elements

Reaction score
When we had a couple we only took the kids to Lake Mohave. Even though we worried it was still safer than Havasu

Last weekend in front of rotary park in Bullhead all the way up to Davis Camp and Katherine Landing was packed. The river below the dam looked like the scene in Independence Day when the Aliens attacked atArea 51. Someone is going to get hurt down there.

The Prisoner

Reaction score
Depends on how well ya teach them I suppose.. by the way I think the law is someone has to be 18+ on the vessel until they are sixteen of age??
True. When I read it last year the 8hp and emergency only portion was cut off. I stand corrected.

grumpy88

Reaction score
To be fare time and place goes a long way . 15 years ago on the strip sure . Now with 28 + foot boats running tandem or in threes up and down in parker no fucking way . I dont care how good you are it only takes one time for them not to see you .

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
So 16 versus 12? 12 seems pretty low to drive a PWD that can go 75 mph

You can set them down to pretty low via a learner key (on the new ones)...I still wouldn't let a 12 year old loose on one...then again I don't want to get sued.

Taboma

Reaction score
Any precedence being set by the SB Sheriffs in regards to those 16 having to have a CA boaters education license if you've got AZ #'s ? I know BC has stated they can write shore to shore, so not sure how AZ riders are exempt and what constitutes an AZ rider.

4Waters

Reaction score
Any precedence being set by the SB Sheriffs in regards to those 16 having to have a CA boaters education license if you've got AZ #'s ? I know BC has stated they can write shore to shore, so not sure how AZ riders are exempt and what constitutes an AZ rider.
AZ DL

4Waters

Reaction score
how do they do it if your license isn’t for either?
CA DL you will get sited, I don't know how they would handle a licensed driver from a different state that requires a boaters card.

River Runnin

Reaction score
Pretty sure if you have your Card it's good in any state!

"Although Arizona does not require boater education for boat operators, it is recommended that all boaters take a boater safety course that is approved by the National Association of State Boating Law Administrators. This course allows you to boat in states that do require a boater education card and may help you save on boat insurance."

Last edited:

NicPaus

Reaction score
I thought it went by ski having AZ registration.

Taboma

Reaction score
CA DL you will get sited, I don't know how they would handle a licensed driver from a different state that requires a boaters card.

I've never carried my DL while jet skiing since the mid 70's , didn't realize it was required. 😁

AZRiverRunner

Reaction score
I started driving a boat when I was 12, pulling by dad and his buddies slalom skiing all over the west. I didn't drive a car until I was 15-1/2. Age may be a factor for some, but nearly EVERY WEEKEND day that I'm on the water a PWC cuts in front of me, not having a clue I'm there. Most of the time it's adults. I'm always ready for it and plan for the evasive maneuver to avoid a collision. After avoiding it, they see me after I safely pass them, and they look at me like I'm doing something wrong. I have always owned PWC too, they're fun, and it's easy to get caught up in the sights and sounds of riding one. However, you have to ride like you're riding a Harley down the 405 freeway, eyes on what's around and especially ahead and behind you. Most don't and many die because of it.

For some reason, a lot of boaters and PWC riders treat Pirates channel like they have "right of way" going in and out of that channel. Cutting right in front of boats that actually have "right of way" running southbound on the river. I don't get it.

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
I started driving a boat when I was 12, pulling by dad and his buddies slalom skiing all over the west. I didn't drive a car until I was 15-1/2. Age may be a factor for some, but nearly EVERY WEEKEND day that I'm on the water a PWC cuts in front of me, not having a clue I'm there. Most of the time it's adults. I'm always ready for it and plan for the evasive maneuver to avoid a collision. After avoiding it, they see me after I safely pass them, and they look at me like I'm doing something wrong. I have always owned PWC too, they're fun, and it's easy to get caught up in the sights and sounds of riding one. However, you have to ride like you're riding a Harley down the 405 freeway, eyes on what's around and especially ahead and behind you. Most don't and many die because of it.

For some reason, a lot of boaters and PWC riders treat Pirates channel like they have "right of way" going in and out of that channel. Cutting right in front of boats that actually have "right of way" running southbound on the river. I don't get it.
PWC's are just like motorcycles, you can tell the boat drivers and the car drivers that own them and those that dont.