WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Anyone here drive a 60's or 70's car as a daily driver?

shintoooo

I'm Blessed
Reaction score
My lease is due in October and I'm starting to look at cars. I have a BMW 650i right now and I love it but ever since we bought the 69 VW Bug, I find any excuse to drive that car and the only thing stopping me from driving it every day is the hot weather and lack of air conditioning. It's so much fun driving that car that it's got me thinking of buying something like a convertible 66 mustang with factory AC as a daily driver. I might change my mind when it really comes down to it, but I really have been thinking about it. My office is 12 miles from my house so I don't drive a lot and I might be moving close to home in the near future.

I am concerned about reliability though as I don't want to get stuck on the freeway on the way to work. Anyone here have an older daily driver?

Deja_Vu

Essex Affectionado
Reaction score
Buddy here at work has a '64 Falcon Sprint he put in a newer 5.0 and daily drives it.
Another has an original '74 BMW 2002 ti that he drives daily.
I think its smart to get something without the depreciation hit.

Might want to get something with an Auto trans and Power Steering too.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Buy a restomod. That is an older car with a modern engine and updated suspension. The sky is the limit on budget, but you can get something nice that is driver quality for $30-$40K If you are brand and model agnostic.

Camaros, certain mustangs, special models and popular cars will be more, but a generic midsize car that someone has modded, will have a lower price point.

Look for something with upgraded/newer brakes, AC, a modern fuel injected engine and modern transmission.

Probably worth having a pre purchase inspection, or take someone along that really knows cars. Biggest issue that can affect reliability is wiring, and quality of the work done.

Last edited:

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
Buy a restomod. That is an older car with a modern engine and updated suspension. The sky is the limit on budget, but you can get something nice that is driver quality for $30-$40K.

That's what I was thinking. Have a buddy who has a late 60's restomod Stang and he drives it ALL.....THE.....TIME. He has a 302 in his and it only gets like 7 miles a gallon though.

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
My lease is due in October and I'm starting to look at cars. I have a BMW 650i right now and I love it but ever since we bought the 69 VW Bug, I find any excuse to drive that car and the only thing stopping me from driving it every day is the hot weather and lack of air conditioning. It's so much fun driving that car that it's got me thinking of buying something like a convertible 66 mustang with factory AC as a daily driver. I might change my mind when it really comes down to it, but I really have been thinking about it. My office is 12 miles from my house so I don't drive a lot and I might be moving close to home in the near future.

I am concerned about reliability though as I don't want to get stuck on the freeway on the way to work. Anyone here have an older daily driver?

If you are really serious, my advice would be to find a resto-mod that has a modern engine(efi) and cooling system with upgraded suspension and brakes.

You could get something really fun and reliable to drive for pennies on the dollar for what it cost to build it.

Point us in the direction of what you are into, you mentioned a 66 mustang, fastback, coupe or convertible? I am sure the inmates will help find you something good! :)

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
For the money they are asking for those restored stockers, you could get something really nice that has been resto-modded.

Carbed early stuff, with air, running stock components, even restored are not nearly as reliable as it could be with modern components.

Remember, these vehicles were never designed to sit in traffic idling along for hours at a time, like what the current fleet has to deal with.

The freeways and traffic flow back then were completely different.

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score
again, I echo the restomod sentiment. The only issue that I have seen with some restomod's is that they throw a new, larger motor in the car but keep much of the original cooling hardware. Most of the time, original cooling requirements are much different than the newer motors.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score

shintoooo

I'm Blessed
Reaction score
That is nice. If you want that type of driving experience, go for it. Just remember you may get to some places smelling like exhaust, and the mileage will suck. You may not want to drive it every day.

What is mileage on something like this? My BMW is a V8 now so mileage isn't that great. I probably get 16-18 mpg now.

lbhsbz

Reaction score
Anything older will require more frequent service and tinkering to keep it running....simply by design. If you work on your own stuff, this will be acceptable. If you take your car to the shop for anything problems that pop up, this will get to be expensive and very inconvenient.

beaverretriever

Catchy Custom User Title
Reaction score
I drove a 68 912 Porsche for about a year right out of high school. It was a nightmare. A three hour trip felt like a nine hour drive. It was hot due to it was black with no AC. I always smelled like gas. Although it was flawless it just never ran clean enough not to have that exhaust smell.

Later on I drove a 63.5 Ford Galaxy 390bb with three on the tree for about two years living on the Central Coast. Never took any long trips so I couldn't give any input on that however, I drove it every day and never had a hitch around town and local drives. Definitely much cooler than a Honda Civic! I was in my early 20s and could fit at least six girls in that thing. It was a lot of fun.

Not too long after that I drove my 65 Mustang Coupe. It was much too radical for the street but damn did it get looks. I drove it for about six months.

My father drove a 64 Falcon Sprint, and many 65 Mustangs through out the early 2000s as daily drivers. Although he had newer vehicles he liked driving the old stuff.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Not a convertible, but a nice 70 camaro. Looks driver quality.

Modern overdrive trans and modern fuel injected engine.

https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/cto/d/1970-pro-touring-camaro/6614264157.html

00F0F_7MNlBRR1VDt_1200x900.jpg

Last edited:

Done-it-again

Reaction score
Me and my dad put a 5 manual trans from a mid 80’s stang in a 66 years ago. Made driving it much better and lot easier on the clutch peddle leg. Grate driving car.

Miss my 64 1/2 from my high school days.

Tommy Gun Images

Media Lackey
Staff member
Reaction score
I daily drove both my 71 and my 67 for over a year each (the 71 has had daily duty tons in 27 years). The thing you have to be ready for is that it will take regular tinkering. Not full blown issues, but little things like a loose wire here or a heater hose there or the window crank comes off in your hand, stuff like that will pop up on the regular. Keep a basic tool kit and battery jumper on board and you'll be good to go. Just leave extra time for the inevitable chat at the gas pump with people checking out the car.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
What is mileage on something like this? My BMW is a V8 now so mileage isn't that great. I probably get 16-18 mpg now.

Take the 1s off LOL.

No it is not that bad, but I'd guess 10-12 MPG. These older cars don't have modern overdrive transmissions either, so it is louder inside, and using more gas on the freeway. It is a different driving experience to be sure.

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
Don't do it....

Old cars are an awesome pain in the ass. You want modern fuel injection ,air conditioning, power, steering and braking....They don't do 85 on the freeway unless modernized.

It's one thing to cruise with the family with the top down but when its raining and the ignition shits out or you have another issue you will be pissed sitting on the side of the road.

You leave that convertible mustang parked in your lot at work or at the grocery store someone is going to door ding or steal it.

hallett21

Reaction score
Imo your business daily driver needs to run 99.9% of the time. I am pretty sure if your current car crapped out BMW is giving you a loaner till it’s fixed.

Might not help your stress levels around deadline times dealing with mechanical issues.

I say get the old school car but keep a solid set of wheels for the inventible

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
Shin,

Only a few of my ten car fleet are newer than 2000. Everything else is 60's and 70s.

My convertible Valiant has no AC, if you are only going 10 miles you don't really need it. You have the hair for it too. :) For me, there is just something about an old hotrod that is just FUN.

I work on my own stuff, so I would be the wrong person to ask about repairs because it is just what I do.

New cars have their place too.

Since I built all of them myself, my hotrods have so much sentimental value I found myself picking when and where I take them for fear of them getting hit on the freeway.

Brian

Rvrluvr

CLAMP ON RACING
Reaction score
I just sold my 87 c10. I delivered it friday to pasadena. A/c wouldnt keep up. I bout fukin died. Its amazing how we get accustomed to luxuries. Bought my son an 03 silverado the next day in sacramento. Rode home in A/C comfort. Lol.
I would say it depends how tolerant you are. I can put up with a lot of crap. The one thing I hate with old cars is no cup holders. That just drives me nuts. Lol

shintoooo

I'm Blessed
Reaction score
Don't do it....

Old cars are an awesome pain in the ass. You want modern fuel injection ,air conditioning, power, steering and braking....They don't do 85 on thhe freeway unless modernized.

It's one thing to cruise with the family with the top down but when its raining and the ignition shits out or you have another issue you will be pissed sitting on the side of the road.

You leave that convertible mustang parked in your lot at work or at the grocery store someone is going to door ding or steal it.

Imo your business daily driver needs to run 99.9% of the time. I am pretty sure if your current car crapped out BMW is giving you a loaner till it’s fixed.

Might not help your stress levels around deadline times dealing with mechanical issues.

I say get the old school car but keep a solid set of wheels for the inventible

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Damn realists :D

beaverretriever

Catchy Custom User Title
Reaction score
Most of our daily driving of our 60s cars was on the Central Coast so A/C, heavy traffic etc wasn't a concern. I wouldn't want to do it in Vegas due to heat or in other large cities in stop and go traffic.

There is definitely areas that are more conducive to owning and driving an older car every day.

shintoooo

I'm Blessed
Reaction score
Well, my balloon popped lol. I'll just get a 6 series convertible and call it a day. Maybe an M4 or M6.

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
Lease a new nice cheap commuter and pick up a clean 10-15 year old Porsche 911 convertible.

Dam Porshe will probably appreciate over the next 10 years and be a blast to drive on nice days while a 65 mustang convertible that you pay 40K for and drive daily will get hammered and depreciate with mileage.

Mike Honcho

Reaction score
Don't do it....

Old cars are an awesome pain in the ass. You want modern fuel injection ,air conditioning, power, steering and braking....They don't do 85 on the freeway unless modernized.

This exactly I have always had old classic muscle my 67 camaro was attempted to be stolen at least three times left at work in a safe parking lot. My current 68 elco no matter where I park some knucklehead has to park next and close to you to try to door ding you.

Also the suspension is not pleasant and then there is the exhaust smell and the a/c back then does not work as good as cars of today. I was also say go the resto mod but take your time and find something even if it needs a little work it can be a fun project. But the classics always need some tweaking to make them consistent and if thats not your cup of tea then resto mod is the way to go. However if you like the tinkering aspect then a classic will certainly provide allot of fun and possibly an interest for your son.

Good luck either way.

shintoooo

I'm Blessed
Reaction score
Lease a new nice cheap commuter and pick up a clean 10-15 year old Porsche 911 convertible.

Dam Porshe will probably appreciate over the next 10 years and be a blast to drive on nice days while a 65 mustang convertible that you pay 40K for and drive daily will get hammered and depreciate with mileage.

I've been looking at 2008-2012 911 convertibles. Definitely in the running.

Waterjunky

RDP Inmate #94
Reaction score
It is interesting to think about this. I have gone back and forth on this exact idea several times. My thoughts also revolved around late model running gear under classic metal. For using it as a daily driver something you need to think about is your commute. If you commute in traffic and such, I would not do it. Safety is a big issue on these older cars. My wife was in a bad accident last year due to someone else doing something incredibly stupid directly in front of her. She was in a 3 year old 4-runner and the air bags did incredible work at minimizing the injuries and 4-runners are not that well rated in an accident (I can testify to why but that is not relevant in this discussion). All this discussion of a daily driver stopped then and there. I am still in love with my classics but not given the madhouse commute in Sacramento.

Think carefully before making that hop, the fuel mileage, reliability, brakes, AC, and transmissions can all be upgraded easily. The safety stuff is a little more challenging. If my commute was mellow, I would do this in a heartbeat.

On a second note, my 67 Mustang always ran almost 20mpg for the 150,000 miles I put on it in high school and college. Now it was a 289, but those were not gentle easy miles. Not sure how you would get the 6-8 that people are claiming without crazy, ill designed mods.......

Cdog

Reaction score
I can do a tax return driving 100mph. :D

Then do the math....it doesn’t add up to your favor. :D

If you want a fun car buy a Porsche 911 and call it a day. A early 997 is an incredible deal right now.

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
Yessir. I don't agree on the mileage as well. Mileage was never a worry, nothing gets good mileage if you are on the loud pedal. :)

Otherwise, 20 miles a day isn't a make or break deal anyway.

Brian

On a second note, my 67 Mustang always ran almost 20mpg for the 150,000 miles I put on it in high school and college. Now it was a 289, but those were not gentle easy miles. Not sure how you would get the 6-8 that people are claiming without crazy, ill designed mods.......

wallnutz

Reaction score
Go get yourself a nice BMW to drive most days, than go find something like a Buick Skylark convertible for the nice cool days and for family cruising.
Something like this that has been updated a little would be just fine for a driver.
1965-Buick-Skylark-American%20Classics--Car-100736566-a91e51473f0dbcd8070ca076c53aebab.jpg

They aren't the prettiest cars, but that helps them to be affordable for a driver.