WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Anyone here drive a 60's or 70's car as a daily driver?

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
Cool link DS.

Thanks, Never got to drive a Spyder, built a few Speedsters in the early/mid 90's though. The were fun cars and ran really good with 2 liters in them. A Modern Subie motor would be pretty cool.

Brian

What about a spyder replica? There are some really nice ones out there running Subi WRX and STI motors that absolutely fly.

Beverly Hills Motorcars always have some of these in stock. https://en.bhmotorcars.com/inventory.php

DrunkenSailor

Reaction score
Cool link DS.

Thanks, Never got to drive a Spyder, built a few Speedsters in the early/mid 90's though. The were fun cars and ran really good with 2 liters in them. A Modern Subie motor would be pretty cool.

Brian

I had a buddy who was looking at them so I did a ton of research and went with him and drove a few. There are 3 main companies building them with bug pans and fiberglass bodies. They are really nice and way bigger inside than you would think. Just have to remember that they are fiberglass don't let anyone sit on a fender etc...

There are these too:

upload_2018-7-11_15-45-24.jpeg

Factory 5 cobras are really nice. https://www.factoryfive.com/roadster/mk4/complete-kit/

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
Yea, the few I did were def replicas, (speedway bodies maybe?) I think the OG steel ones were in the 100K range then.

A long time buddy took his wife on their first date in his neighbors 356 when they were in highschool. He has been threatening me for years to have me do up a speedster for his wife for one of their milestone anniversaries. He can prolly afford a real one now, but it is fun to talk about doing one. They were really fun cars.

I think they were in the 20-30K range, done up and nice, leather interior, nice paint, 2 liter, disk brakes, ect

I built some parts for a Factory 5 Cobra, that actually got finished, before I moved to the Upland shop. It had a 347/5 or 6 speed in it and ran pretty good. I never drove that one. I cant believe the chassis in the original Cobra cars, what a trip.

Brian

I had a buddy who was looking at them so I did a ton of research and went with him and drove a few. There are 3 main companies building them with bug pans and fiberglass bodies. They are really nice and way bigger inside than you would think. Just have to remember that they are fiberglass don't let anyone sit on a fender etc...

There are these too:

View attachment 663361
Factory 5 cobras are really nice. https://www.factoryfive.com/roadster/mk4/complete-kit/

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
You run an original engined,suspended and braked 73 nova automatic with a TH350 down the freeway at 110 mph? What did those things have 175hp with the 4 barrel?

Maybe its a 4 speed car but either way at 85+ you are revving it pretty high. Lets not mention stock suspension and brakes are going to lead you to an early grave if you are "cruising" at 110 +.

Ass for every seat...no thanks

Well....warmed over 350 making around 475HP, T350 Stage 2 shift kit, 308's in the rear end...Redline is 8k on that motor I built. Stock brakes and suspension. She does around 125 before 3rd gear lol. The 4speed is under the bench in my shop now lol. Put it together to run in Nevada when I lived in Vegas. Lots of room to stretch your legs out there back in the early 90's.

All built with shit laying around in 87 out of my uncle's shop. Nothing modern about it, the stuff in it was from the 70's.

Don't be scared, they used to set land speed records with mostly stock stuff with huge HP and legs. Shit is fine as long as it is maintained properly. ;)

You don't need anti lock brakes, or super duper radar cruise control to keep from crashing. You just have to know your equipment and what your limits as far as skill is.

*edit : It does have 15" rallys on it and it is lowered 1" (cut springs). Sorry Wheeler, no shackles rofl!

DrunkenSailor

Reaction score
Yea, the few I did were def replicas, (speedway bodies maybe?) I think the OG steel ones were in the 100K range then.

A long time buddy took his wife on their first date in his neighbors 356 when they were in highschool. He has been threatening me for years to have me do up a speedster for his wife for one of their milestone anniversaries. He can prolly afford a real one now, but it is fun to talk about doing one. They were really fun cars.

I think they were in the 20-30K range, done up and nice, leather interior, nice paint, 2 liter, disk brakes, ect

I built some parts for a Factory 5 Cobra, that actually got finished, before I moved to the Upland shop. It had a 347/5 or 6 speed in it and ran pretty good. I never drove that one. I cant believe the chassis in the original Cobra cars, what a trip.

Brian

They are 40-60k for new builds now but you can get used replicas in the 20-30k range. Crazy how expensive everything is now.

Oh you mean these?
shelby-cobra-rolling-chassis-photo-456186-s-1280x782.jpg

Gotta love the British engineering...

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
I love muscle cars, and the thought of driving one daily. But then reality sets in

-Shitty egronomics (getting stuck in LA traffic for 1 1/2 hours would blow.....)
-Shitty AC (even the aftermarket stuff doesn't perform 1/2 as well as a new corolla...)
-Shitty wipers
-Shitty weather stripping - car is most likely going to leak water in the rain, yes even with newly sealed windows and weather stripping
-Theft - easy to break into, easy to steal, gone in 60 seconds divided by 2
-Some asshole is going to door ding you at best, and rear-end you at speed at some point. You're gonna get hurt pretty bad in a 60's ride

Best left as a Friday cruiser, keep it enjoyable

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
Yessir, the last one I did was around 93-94.

The 5/6" dia tubes the main chassis/motor sat on were just wild. I thought it was just a goofy chassis Factory 5 came up with , but he told me that is how the OG cars were built.

Brian

They are 40-60k for new builds now but you can get used replicas in the 20-30k range. Crazy how expensive everything is now.

Oh you mean these?
shelby-cobra-rolling-chassis-photo-456186-s-1280x782.jpg

Gotta love the British engineering...

beertruck

Reaction score
Hydro boost too. That car was nicely done.

Who built that car for you?
bought it at a mecum auction without seeing it. Hedges from Ca originally built it. Got it home, and found many issues with it. Brought it to a guy in Seattle who does custom vettes and mustangs ( Brad's Custom Auto). Told him do what he would do to the car if it was his, and wanted it as a daily driver. A year, and many changes and mods later got it back. Great car, lots of fun, and very dependable

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
bought it at a mecum auction without seeing it. Hedges from Ca originally built it. Got it home, and found many issues with it. Brought it to a guy in Seattle who does custom vettes and mustangs ( Brad's Custom Auto). Told him do what he would do to the car if it was his, and wanted it as a daily driver. A year, and many changes and mods later got it back. Great car, lots of fun, and very dependable

Why does this not surprise me? SMH I've been brought in on top dollar cars before too, only to find out they were not as advertised. Happens all of the time.

I just looked over a 67 Chevelle that was advertised to have a full Hotchkis suspension. When we put it up in the air, it had a Hotchkis sway bar on it, and the rest of the suspension was stock. There were lots of other issues as well, and the guy looked at, AND drove the car before he bought it. He had to lawyer up to get any results from the seller, who had sold the car on consignment. Ugg.

Someone got a real nice car from you. That thing musta drove like a dream.

rvrrun

Reaction score
I ran my business primarily from home so I didn't use my cars as true daily drivers, but my '56 T Bird was a DD for four years. I built the '32 sedan for my wife to use as a DD. She wanted something fun and couldn't see herself in a minivan or another SUV. We fell in love with, and bought, her JCW Clubman while the 32 was being built so now I use that as a DD whenever I can. The biggest problem with this type of car is the insurance. Most classic insurance only lets you drive on weekends, to shows or gatherings and you have to be with the car all the time. Both of mine are through AAA as dailies. Both cars go grocery/Costco shopping, pick up the kids from school, go to Dr appointments etc. They both do great at this. The t birds only fault was being topless, it sucks in the middle of the day and I never ran a top on that car. The 32 is an amazingly good DD, it's small, light, easy to park and see out of, there is no stereo or any way to hear a phone call while it's running so the drivers only distraction is shifting gears. If you want to come down and go for a ride, let me know.

stoker22405

Reaction score
I drive a 66 every day....May I recomend you get unlimited tow from AAA ..And keep a spare "newer" viechle at home, If you are not mechanically inclined may I recommend you make friends with the shop you will be visiting often...Buy them donughts,Offer to pay them in Green Cash Money ect....This will help in getting your car back in less than 30 days for a bad window regulator ect... Once you have all that it really is alot of fun....!

CoreyD

Reaction score
67 VW beetle is my daily driver. Love that thing, but my kids aren't allowed as passengers. Not really the safest of cars.

Gelcoater

Reaction score

There are these too:

View attachment 663361
Lol!
I can see it now!
Shintoooo ripping around in his replicobra..lalalalala...Vroooom.:cool:

bonesfab

Reaction score
Thats all I drive is old junk. . The short list of drivers is a 68 caddie convert, a 59 Parkwood wagon, 76 Chevy c10. I have a few customers that daily drive older cars. You just have to keep your expectations in check. It will never be a new BMW or challenger. But you won’t lose your ass on a major depreciating asset. Older cars actually maintain there value and usually increase in value. Plus registration and insurance is a lot cheaper. I know from experience as my fleet is up to 19 cars plus the other good thing is smiles per miles. Fair warn you, people will ask questions when you park somewhere, gas station, grocery store.
If you have any questions let me know as it is what I do all day. Jim.

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score
...That’s all I used to drive...period cars...having to adjust the drum brakes on a ‘60 Cad Convert every 2 weeks got really old...

...The one I regret selling the most...my 1970 Mercedes 300 SEL 6.3...a factory hotrod...

Last edited:

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
The only time I had to call a stretcher was when I was headed to a girls house in Loma Linda to help with her plumbing, from the street drags in Riverside, and I cut a tire on the 15/10 interchange. Pre cellphone days, I didn't do any work that night. :)

Yeap,

All my daily driver hotrods have modern radiators, modern (non antilock) big brakes and upgraded matching era motors. They have been to Santa Cruz, Vegas, Havasu, Lower River.

When they were daily drivers, I wouldn't think twice to hop in them and go where I was headed, with a jack, spare tire and tools in the trunk. It was all I had to drive anyway.

Now that they aren't dailys, I am more concerned to keep them without getting wrecked.

Brian

Last edited:

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
CT, you must have built some pretty shitty cars, brother.

Peeps have done more as a 20 year old with scavenged/modified wrecking yard parts than most with what is available today with a credit card and a parts catalog from the big three.

Has your SuperDuty G6 made a trip out of the driveway yet? :)

Brian

You run an original engined,suspended and braked 73 nova automatic with a TH350 down the freeway at 110 mph? What did those things have 175hp with the 4 barrel?

Maybe its a 4 speed car but either way at 85+ you are revving it pretty high. Lets not mention stock suspension and brakes are going to lead you to an early grave if you are "cruising" at 110 +.

Ass for every seat...no thanks

Last edited:

Old Texan

Honorary Warden #377 Emeritus - R.I.P.
Reaction score
I use my 66 Caddy as a daily driver, usually to go to the grocery store. Trunk holds a whole lot of groceries.
I had a '66 Fleetwood Brougham that was a Shell exec car. Loved that car. So much comfort. 18-20 mpg on trips. road like a cloud. Sold it and got a '63 Impala. Always regretted it.

Drove the caddy every day for several years. Always intended to find and redo a 75ish El D or a Lincoln Mark 3 or IV, justnever hit the right opportunity

Since I retired I don't need a "business" ride and want to keep miles down on my Nissan Titan and wife's Maxima. so I looked around and bought an '01 Miata. 171K on the clock but has been well and professionally maintained by a Houston HS teacher that bought a new model. I have had some old Triumphs and Porches as I love sporty "roadsters". Have looked at Miatas for a while but never seriously.....This lil' runner is a blast to drive around town and doing all the daily errands I need to do now a days. Saves on gas plus wear and tear on the main vehicles.

Easy to work on, parts are cheap, and resale is crazy. Picked mine up at very right price and could turn it over for nice profit anytime.

The key to muscle cars and sports cars is to understand them and buy a vintage you can work on without a lot of specialty tools/equipment. Up grade and update all that can be done to make them reliable. Triumphs and MG's and Porsche will always need work be subject to fucking up just because, but the Miata has been designed by old sports car enthusiasts to change that whole scenario. Miata is actually a German word for reward.....Oh and the Miata has an auto tranny so my old arthritic knees don't that wear and tear.

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
My Antique 360 runs a .535 lift cam and very early SBP ported iron heads and a, yikes, 850 4 barrel carburetor.

Peeps act like no one ever went fast until fuel injection, and the Chevy LS motor came out, and they could buy however horsepower their parents gave them money for.

Makes me laugh.

Brian

My 72 Challenger 340 could pull past 5000 rpm in fourth. 3.23 Sure Grip diff. Didn't have the Rally speedo and tach but buried the speedo well past the 120 mark. Wished the 833 tranny would have had OD.

Last edited:

spectras only

Reaction score
I had a '66 Fleetwood Brougham that was a Shell exec car. Loved that car. So much comfort. 18-20 mpg on trips. road like a cloud.

Hey Tex, how did you achieve such good milage? My 66 Coupe DeVille and 64 Lincoln both had shitty milage around 10-12.;) Both cars hovered at 5050lbs, you must have removed a ton of junk from yours,making them lighter,haha:p

rcmike

Reaction score
Put over 100k miles on this in the last 5 years..

Screen Shot 2017-02-16 at 6.28.49 PM.png

It has a modern Nissan engine and transmission under it, gets 30mpg cruising, stupid fast..

Before that I daily drove this..

Screen Shot 2017-03-19 at 10.39.50 PM.png

Has a fox body 5.0 in it, and disc brakes.. Runs great, but gets hot. Does not get driven enough anymore, but I have plans for it..

Bought this as a driver, but it still needs some work before it can be a daily.. Also need to get a garage deep enough to park it in..

Screen Shot 2018-07-11 at 9.22.41 PM.png

Right now I mostly drive this.. It has A/C and a nice 5 speed.. Just need to make sure you are not in a big hurry.. It will cruise at 80, but it takes a while to get there..

Screen Shot 2017-09-09 at 11.50.09 AM.png

Like everyone else said, unless you really like to work on the little shit, they will drive you crazy. But if you don't mind some work, they make driving much more involving..

whipple charged

Reaction score
Love the muscle cars..
I have 68 Camaro.
Put a deposit a 69 mustang(yes f word lmao)for the woman she didn't want same car as me so picking it up Thursday.. it's turn key with a/c and some modern upgrades....

Attachments

• IMG_20180711_144918590_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20180711_144918590_HDR.jpg
    274.8 KB · Views: 54

Gelcoater

Reaction score
My Antique 360 runs a .535 lift cam and very early SBP ported iron heads and a 850 4 barrel, yikes. carburetor.

Peeps act like no one ever went fast until fuel injection, and the Chevy LS motor came out, and you could buy however horsepower your parents gave you money for.

Makes me laugh.

Brian
In the 1990-93ish era I had a Jeep CJ5 I bought with a I6/3spd manual plain Jain Jeep.
When the head gasket blew, for a few hundred bucks I bought the Advance Adaptor kit to swap in a sbc and bought a complete running 350 from a junk yard in Santa Fe Springs. For $425...Add a junk yard bell housing and flywheel for another $75, a new McLeod clutch and I proceeded to destroy (3) T150 3 speeds. Lol.

Cam swap (the mild L78 vette cam) and head rebuild along the way by that speed shop that used to be in Main Street in Elsinore back then.

Went to a Saginaw 4 speed and produced 3rd gear chirps on 31” tires:)
A pic of a pic
066DD97F-1705-465C-BF77-40771A7419E2.jpeg

It allegedly embarrased an IROC or Vette owner or two back in the day;)

Sold it to @endobear :)

Old Texan

Honorary Warden #377 Emeritus - R.I.P.
Reaction score
Hey Tex, how did you achieve such good milage? My 66 Coupe DeVille and 64 Lincoln both had shitty milage around 10-12.;) Both cars hovered at 5050lbs, you must have removed a ton of junk from yours,making them lighter,haha:p
I drank heavy back then and my memory may have been effected.....:D

Gelcoater

Reaction score
WTF are you driving that is classic muscle that does not do 85?!?! Did you mean 185?

Shit guy, I run my 73 Nova SS at 110+ cruising on the freeway. The only "modern" customization is an HEI distributor.

I still vote for a nice resto-mod done by a reputable company. Cheaper than doing a build, and still gets you where you want to be.

Look at your choices like this : https://restomods.com/for-sale/search/mustang For the prices a few of those are you could buy one, take it to Joe, and have him work his magic on it and still be under budget.

Lots of companies doing nice work. Like buying any used car, you need someone competent to inspect it and give you some piece of mind.
Lol. Forget all that! I want to know what freeway Cole Trickle can do 85 on here in so cal? :D

Waaay back when the I15 was new south of corona I used to live in Elsinore.
My 69 El Co had no issues rolling 85 up and down that stretch.
It was geared for it. It liked it:)
So did I:D

Gelcoater

Reaction score
The tow bar up front adds a nice touch to someone getting their ass handed to them. ;)

My VW beat up on those same cars.
It was even better before it was painted. Used to be a dingy white, primer gray fiberglass front fenders:cool: oh, and the white 5 spoke wheels.
Looked very beater and haggard.
Had some guy follow me 3 blocks to ask me what was under the hood of that pile that just embarrased his turbo T bird, lol.

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
CT, you must have built some pretty shitty cars, brother.

Peeps have done more as a 20 year old with scavenged/modified wrecking yard parts than most with what is available today with a credit card and a parts catalog from the big three.

Has your SuperDuty G6 made a trip out of the driveway yet? :)

Brian

Buddy...Everything you own is covered with boxes or surrounded by weeds in the back yard. Quit living in the past when they ran get them fixed and running and we can start talking real world car stuff...lol

G6 is ready when you are. You didn't seem all that interested in meeting up @BeerMaker was ready to hold the camera and ride in my car but you got scared and wandered off looking for more of Hanks meat.

All of my stuff starts with out a jump or motor swap and is clean and ready to go:);):D

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
Buddy...Everything you own is covered with boxes or surrounded by weeds in the back yard. Quit living in the past when they ran get them fixed and running and we can start talking real world car stuff...lol

G6 is ready when you are. You didn't seem all that interested in meeting up @BeerMaker was ready to hold the camera and ride in my car but you got scared and wandered off looking for more of Hanks meat.

All of my stuff starts with out a jump or motor swap and is clean and ready to go:);):D

OH SNAP

BeerMaker

"B" Team Token Black Guy
Reaction score

I am ready and willing. Just say the word.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Gelcoater

Reaction score

BNAG!
The gauntlet has been thrown down! :D
Looks like Brian better get busy doing the green brick trucks to the Valiant. :eek:

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
Doood, you are fucking higher than full grown giraffe pussy.

Beer Maker wanted in on the race, with his friend's car, no part of holding a camera. Buddy, I was at the shop all day, waiting for your call to let me know where to show up and serve you a raw automotive beatdown.

Everything. Noted. Either way. Good one.

Magnum is out front, ready whenever you want to get beat down naked. Simple.

Brian

DrunkenSailor

Reaction score

Cool video what kind of event was that?

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
Yoooor at least three weeks behind. At Budmans house I told CT to call when he got out of bed and I would roll over his shit wherever he wanted to meet up. Phone never rang.

Brian

BNAG!
The gauntlet has been thrown down! :D
Looks like Brian better get busy doing the green brick trucks to the Valiant. :eek: