WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Anyone here drive a 60's or 70's car as a daily driver?

Gelcoater

Reaction score
By the looks of the hood and he's stated a 2v, I'm going with Windsor.
Like I said, I’m not a ford guy.
I went to high school with a guy that had a 70 Cougar,XR7 with the 351c, 2v, and get this, a manual 3 speed.
It was a really cool car.
For a Ford, lol.
It could go from Visali, Ca to Anaheim on less than a tank of gas...if you kept it at or under 63

Gelcoater

Reaction score
Wiki says the Cleveland was introduced in 70, however I know the be seen a few 69 mustangs equipped with them? Swaps perhaps?

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
I think the clevelands were only in the "Mach" Mustangs. Ive never seen then in any other mustangs.

Wiki says the Cleveland was introduced in 70, however I know the be seen a few 69 mustangs equipped with them? Swaps perhaps?

Rajobigguy

Reaction score
I think my tires will work fine.

upload_2018-7-12_18-9-5.png

Flyinbowtie

Reaction score
Shintoo...

Ya got the itch dontcha? that convertible Bug has had an impact on ya?
Good for you.
My thoughts on the subject....played with cars almost all my life, have my first love still..'56 F100. There is another option here that has been touched on that I would like to expound on.
Get yourself a good modern ride for back and forth to the office. Maybe back it down a notch on the cool scale from the superbeemer, (or not) then spend some time snooping more of the Cars and Coffee deals and local show scene until you know exactly what you want.
And then go find one for sale. I have seen Rivermobsters work in person, you can trust him to take a car you love and turn it into a very fun, very dependable and very cool ride. If you can find that already built it will be cheaper, but he is right...finding the machine that was built right, with the focus on being a driver, will be tougher. Like the bus pickup you put up...those are out there in various states of build, take a guy like Joe with you to look and learn what to watch for, etc. and you will save a bunch of $ not buying someone else's problem box or worse yet a disaster with lipstick on it. Nothing will suck the life out of your inspiration for a car as fast as finding a bunch of crap wiring, bondo over rust under paint, or a near death engine trans, etc.
Start with good bones. If you find one that is solid, and someone has started taking it the right direction there is nothing wrong with doing a serious "audit" on the state of the car then buying it and taking it forward.
Once you get the car bought, and the build finished out, drive it as much as you want...on nice days when you know your schedule wont change, on the weekends when you go to cruise to the beach or to lunch with the family, dinner with the wife....but it won't be subject to the door dings, potholes, and morons you find on the road every day.
In other words develop a plan to have yer cake and eat it too.
It can be done.

Wheeler

I'm just here to bitch about others negativity.😁
Reaction score

Even though I've owned a '69 Cougar convertible, I really don't know shit about them.

I did a quick search and this is what I found.

For 1970, the Cougar appearance was similar to the 1969 model, but changes were made. A new front end featured a pronounced center hood extension and electric shaver grille similar to the 1967 and 1968 Cougars. Federally mandated locking steering columns appeared inside, and high-backed bucket seats, similar to those included in the 1969 Eliminator package, became standard on all Cougars. Other changes included revised tail light bezels, new front bumper and front fender extensions, and larger, recessed side markers. The 300 hp (224 kW) 351 "Cleveland" V8 was now available for the first time,
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercury_Cougar

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score
853607A2-8D41-4B2F-B475-22F7F6257C38.jpeg
...The Cleveland could be made into a great motor... had one in a ‘70 Torino Convert...It was a 2bbl...
...The Aussies came up with some heads that were closed chambered like the Windsor..:but the big square ports...like Ford’s Cleveland 4bbl heads...not sure if their original intention was for Sprint Cars???...Anyway they really worked...but were very pricey...so cheap ass me never went that route...left the car a 2bbl...

Wheeler

I'm just here to bitch about others negativity.😁
Reaction score
View attachment 663829 ...The Cleveland could be made into a great motor... had one in a ‘70 Torino Convert...It was a 2bbl...
...The Aussies came up with some heads that were closed chambered like the Windsor..:but the big square ports...like Ford’s Cleveland 4bbl heads...not sure if their original intention was for Sprint Cars???...Anyway they really worked...but were very pricey...so cheap ass me never went that route...left the car a 2bbl...

The Cleaveland heads worked great on the Windsor engine. :D

707dog

Reaction score
i drive my 62 impala as much as i can 2-3 days a week and weekend shifts about 75 miles round trip... LT1 5.7 700r4 and 4 wheel disc brakes she cruises and stops nice, i worry more about some ass clown hitting me more than i do breaking down. i have to remind myself i'm not in my maxima can't be blazing the freeway @ 80 in the impala:D
thumbnail.png

Mike Honcho

Reaction score
Bad ass impala, have you had issues with the opti spark on the LT1? Maybe there is a work around with it I had a LT1 in the boys first car 70 camaro and it was a headache going out often, I think we changed it three times and was told it was a common issue with the LT1. We sold it because I got tired of putting money into it.

707dog

Reaction score
Bad ass impala, have you had issues with the opti spark on the LT1? Maybe there is a work around with it I had a LT1 in the boys first car 70 camaro and it was a headache going out often, I think we changed it three times and was told it was a common issue with the LT1. We sold it because I got tired of putting money into it.
It had a bad opti when I picked it up. I'm Running a older march pulley serp belt set up and not having all the factory front motor assembly on it sure makes it easier to work on.
This one is a 95 lt1 the big issue that i understood was the older optisparks didn't have a vent hole so they would hold moister and causing them to short out. I know a couple people who have gotten close to 200k out of there impalas with the LT1 fingers cross:cool:

Last edited:

Sharp Shooter

The "anti-yuppie"
Reaction score
I've lived most of my life driving 60's and 70's cars as regular daily drivers. The most recent was a 66 Mustang I paid $3500 for. This was back in 2007. It was rough and I didn't know what it would need but I assumed everything. After a full brake job, Carb and distributor R&R, radiator, new passenger side floors, cheap paint and new wheels and tires and a lot of trim It became my daily. It had 4 wheel drum brakes, manual steering and no ac. I drove it 7 years before I sold it to a Swedish car collector. It stranded me once because the flywheel had a broken tooth and the starter gear wouldn't disengage which also melted the relay. Aside from that 1 time I drove it everywhere without issue. I never touched the long block, trans, or rear end.

Old cars can make good daily drivers, but you can't be a high maintenance sissy unless you completely modernize everything.

Attachments

• Copy of DSCF0770.JPG
    Copy of DSCF0770.JPG
    31.5 KB · Views: 87
  • DSCF0771.JPG
    DSCF0771.JPG
    250.2 KB · Views: 78
  • DSCF0772.JPG
    DSCF0772.JPG
    218.7 KB · Views: 81
  • DSC00004.JPG
    DSC00004.JPG
    38.6 KB · Views: 88
  • DSC04535.JPG
    DSC04535.JPG
    207.8 KB · Views: 83
  • DSCF0936.JPG
    DSCF0936.JPG
    104.7 KB · Views: 86

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
I may or may not have went by a bad ass looking black 69 Chevelle sporting 396 badges earlier today while going 80-85MPH southbound on the 15 fwy, Allegedly. Beautiful ride.

Brian

Sharp Shooter

The "anti-yuppie"
Reaction score
I may or may not have went by a bad ass looking black 69 Chevelle sporting 396 badges earlier today while going 80-85MPH southbound on the 15 fwy, Allegedly. Beautiful ride.

Brian

No pics?

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
I gave'er her due diligence and motored my ass on. ;)

Mike Honcho

Reaction score
It had a bad opti when I picked it up. I'm Running a older march
pulley serp belt set up and not having all the factory front motor assembly on it sure makes it easier to work on.
This one is a 95 lt1 the big issue that i understood was the older optisparks didn't have a vent hole so they would hold moister and causing them to short out. I know a couple people who have gotten close to 200k out of there impalas with the LT1 fingers cross:cool:

I was told ours was a 95 as well but never the less it didn't seem to hold up but could have been the 17 yr old foot on the down pedal but of course I would have never got the truth. Here is a pic of it.
DSCN0355.JPG

DSCN0355.JPG

Attachments

• DSCN0357.JPG
    DSCN0357.JPG
    276.2 KB · Views: 61

707dog

Reaction score
20180303_064609.jpg
I was told ours was a 95 as well but never the less it didn't seem to hold up but could have been the 17 yr old foot on the down pedal but of course I would have never got the truth. Here is a pic of it. View attachment 663971
View attachment 663971
Yep hoping to get some miles out of it... I have the top covers working on painting to match the car. In the winter ill be cleaning up under the hood like it looking in order when I open it.

Heylam

Reaction score
The romance of old cars is great, the practicality not so much.

brgrcru

Reaction score
I use to drive a 78 el camino.
starting to look for another. loved that catruck

Quicksilver

Reaction score
I daily drove a 1978 Dodge StreetVan in the late 1990's. It was the 360 V8 with a 2 barrel Holley. I put a shit ton of miles on that van and it never let me down. It did get shitty ass fuel mileage but I can afford it now. I regret selling it to this day.

My current daily is a 1988 Mazda MX-6 Turbo that I have had the last 12 years. I daily commute 100 miles and the odometer is at 299,000. I have 5 other vehicles, all of them newer, but my old 30 year old car is still my favorite. The only tome I drive my Ram 3500 is when the pass into town has snow.