WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Anyone Here Have/ Had a Bassett Hound ?

Desert Whaler

Reaction score
I 'may' have an opportunity to adopt a Bassett , I've always wanted one but i've heard all the problems.
Stinky, drooly, howly, farty, bad backs, dragging dicks, dirty ears, roaming off, etc. etc. (sounds just like me minus the dragging dick lol)
It's a fairly young female, pure bred, and kind of stuck in some sort or marriage drama . . . so I'm laying low, and playing it cool.
But if it 'becomes available' I'm gonna bolt and make a road trip to AZ to snag her.
So are there any RDP 'Bassett Fans' out there ?

RodnJen

Reaction score
I’ve never had a Bassett but we are all big fans of hounds. Yes they stink, yes they drool but smart dogs with tons of personality. Good luck.

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
We rescued a Bassett when we lived in Louisiana. He was about a year old. Good dog, although he liked to stray around when he could. Got him fixed, helped a bit. He was very good with our kids. We lived in the country. The place came with a resident Mama cat. She’d dump her kittens on our Bassett, Homer, when she went catting around. Lots of laughs watching him try to keep all of those kittens in one place. Homer didn't like the water.
He tried swimming once in the Calcasieu River, quickly hauled ass back to our truck. He traveled all over the country with us. Seemed to travel well when crated on airline flights. He lived to about 12. We lost him to cancer. He had no prior health issues. But, if a vet decides to "express" their anal gland, it is best to leave the room. Better yet, leave the building!

Once while driving thru Malibu, with just my wife and our young teenaged daughters, the muffler on my wife's car went out. For some reason Homer, not really a barker, then thought the right thing to do was hang his head out the window and howl at all passing cars and people. Our embarrassed teenage daughters were diving for cover.

Last edited:

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
Neighbors in Anderson had one for a couple weeks.
All the other neighbors got together and made them give the dog away.
Dog NEVER stopped with the howling/ groaning.

FishSniper

Reaction score
I 'may' have an opportunity to adopt a Bassett , I've always wanted one but i've heard all the problems.
Stinky, drooly, howly, farty, bad backs, dragging dicks, dirty ears, roaming off, etc. etc. (sounds just like me minus the dragging dick lol)
It's a fairly young female, pure bred, and kind of stuck in some sort or marriage drama . . . so I'm laying low, and playing it cool.
But if it 'becomes available' I'm gonna bolt and make a road trip to AZ to snag her.
My parents just had to have their basset put down at a little over 15. Lot of bassets can have eye issues with cherry eye but it’s typically pretty easily corrected. All of your listed things and they can be very stubborn but do sleep a lot. Been around a few of them over the years and they all been pretty good dogs overall.

Javajoe

Reaction score
Neighbors in Anderson had one for a couple weeks.
All the other neighbors got together and made them give the dog away.
Dog NEVER stopped with the howling/ groaning.
Yep, my daughter just had to give her Pure Bred away because of the barking. 2 years old. Couldn’t make him stop

Hydroman55

Reaction score
Had one when I was a kid and absolutely no issues great dog.
Used to walk me to school bus stop (1/2 mile from the house) in the morning then go home and meet at the stop in the afternoon. In the afternoon if not already at the stop when the bus arrived he was within a a 100 yards (uncanny).
There a true hound and very laid back.

Last edited:

Desert Whaler

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback everyone . . . it's in Bulllhead City, the owner(s) are moving back to Florida.
If she becomes available. I may drag my boat out with me and give her a 'Sea Trial' to see how she likes the water . . . lol.

boatpi

Reaction score
I have had 2. Last one was a retired show dog I got at 18 months, Maggie. They are the best dogs ever, incredible personality, and love to swim, but usually will not jump in. On a leash a choke chain is a must, just give them a jerk when they start to wander off following a scent. Maggie was big, 65 pounds, with a massive bark, she died at 14.5 years old. Cancer.

NO dog is more gentle around children, none. Maggie had 11" ears, you need to clean them out almost daily to prevent infection. Super loyal, love to play, but...

Havasu story; Got her off of the Nordic at the Nautical, she walked about 5 steps up to nearly the parking lot, then her nose went up... She I believe caught the sent of a rabbit, ran like hell for over 200' into the brush and water in the marina. I almost had to drag her back, without the rabbit.

Prescott story; Just chillin with my friend in the tall pines talking about cars, off she goes walking around, into the manazitas, sniffing, lost her. Called her, no response for 10 minutes. Then I spot the white tip of her tail wagging about 100' away, nose full of weeds, and everything else. They are hounds, and their scent controls their life. Never forget that.

Go for it, you will never regret it, but plan on sheading of hair inside the house.

hallett3

Reaction score
Honestly dogs are like a box of chocolate. It depends on there personality. I had two beagles one was a natural hunter but barked at everything. Birds and squirrels would drive him nuts. The other one would just lounge around and all he cared about was food.

RDPSHIPPING

Swags in the Bag
Reaction score
get a regular groomer and stick to the schedule. I've had 2 in my life (not by choice,lol) at the end of the day, they are loyal and loving.

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
Other than the noisy muffler episode driving thru Malibu, about the only barking/howling our Bassett would do was at wild animals, raccoons in particular. He once "cornered" one on top of our wood pile in Louisiana in the middle of the night. We drug him inside and he settled right down. Then in Carlsbad CA he was howling. When my wife looked out the kitchen window there was a raccoon with her babies up in a eucalyptus tree staring right at my wife . She grabbed Homer and the raccoon and her babies hauled ass.

Get the Bassett. You won't regret it.

Last edited:

framer1

Reaction score

We had one for 15 years, best dog I ever had. I still miss her after 14 years....

Jed-O

Shitter was full!
Reaction score
KIMG0474.JPG

They are pretty awesome. Call me if you have any questions or need advice. Nine oh nine,- 844-2725

Desert Whaler

Reaction score
View attachment 993657
They are pretty awesome. Call me if you have any questions or need advice. Nine oh nine,- 844-2725
Thank You ! I really appreciate the offer.
I'm leaving for the river in the am for a few days, I texted my buddy "If that basset wants a ride back to OC, I'll be out there this week and can pick her up".
Fingers crossed.

Jed-O

Shitter was full!
Reaction score
Thank You ! I really appreciate the offer.
I'm leaving for the river in the am for a few days, I texted my buddy "If that basset wants a ride back to OC, I'll be out there this week and can pick her up".
Fingers crossed.
Ours (Penny) is almost 2. She is very entertaining and affectionate. And she is one of the best dogs I've ever had.
Good luck getting this one! 👍

Hydroman55

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback everyone . . . it's in Bulllhead City, the owner(s) are moving back to Florida.
If she becomes available. I may drag my boat out with me and give her a 'Sea Trial' to see how she likes the water . . . lol.
At the time lived on Bethel Island with a boat dock. My Bassett (Sam) would sit in the boat for hours at the dock waiting for someone to take him for a ride.

Last edited:

BoatCop

Retired And Loving It.
Reaction score
Here's our last Bloodhound, Sampson and first Basset, Delilah. They were inseparable. They loved to howl together. The entire neighborhood knew where the hounds lived. After Sampson passed on, Dee Dee never howled again.

1917876_101770933183238_4498356_n.jpg

Desert Whaler

Reaction score
Here's our last Bloodhound, Sampson and first Basset, Delilah. They were inseparable. They loved to howl together. The entire neighborhood knew where the hounds lived. After Sampson passed on, Dee Dee never howled again.

View attachment 993767
VERY COOL !
Sad about Dee Dee .. . .sweetie.
I had a friend with a Bluetick Hound 'Buck' . . . god that dog was the most stubborn animal ever. Never seen anything like it.
He and his wife never had kids and Buck was their baby. It was 100% pointless to try and get him to do something that he didn't want to.
Hounds are so cool.

BoatCop

Retired And Loving It.
Reaction score
My first Bloodhound, Pepper, was a Rescue Hound. Not from a shelter, or anything, a literal RESCUE dog. She was born in prison and trained to be a tracker for escaped inmates. When they changed to triple purpose dogs, tracking, drug, and bite K9's they farmed out a lot of the Bloodhounds. I got one of them in 1999 and used her for lost/missing person tracking. We bred her once, keeping Sampson, with two others going to Yavapai County, AZ and Baker County, OR for SAR work. I intended to train him for tracking too, but he got spoiled and just became a pet. After Pepper passed, we knew we wanted to stay with hounds, but at our age, we'd have trouble with 130# dogs, so downsized to Bassets. We'll never own another breed.

This was Pepper.

pep.jpg

SpeedyWho

Reaction score
Hounds are special, they have soooo much heart and they have sensitive feelings, they're super loyal too. We have two hounds, not bassets but hounds none the less. I can't imagine not having a hound in my life.

Hydroman55

Reaction score
Hounds are special, they have soooo much heart and they have sensitive feelings, they're super loyal too. We have two hounds, not bassets but hounds none the less. I can't imagine not having a hound in my life.
Pretty much sums up my Basset Hound.

HST4ME

Reaction score
Male Basset Hounds are a pain in the ass