WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Anyone home school

CLdrinker

Reaction score
As we all know the school systems suck and in covid bullshit and it is just a piss poor learning situation all around.

Add in the sex education curriculum they are trying to push and the critical race theory.
It’s becoming obvious that our kids growth is less than ideal.

My wife has looked into this home schooling program.
Basically they provide the curriculum and a teacher that you can help guide you.
The state kicks back $3000 a year per kid for reimbursement for supply’s and sports to pay for the curriculum which is $700 from what I understand.

So my thought is I can hire a tutor 1 day a week on top of what we do and use the left over $2000 each kid. Plus we can pay a few grand out of pocket for help as well.

I don’t think we can do any worse than the dam school at this point.

Can’t afford private so seems like a good as chance as any.

Anyone else doing something similar?

HB2Havasu

Reaction score
Is your wife already a “Stay @ Home Mom”? Would she have to quit her job to do this? If I were raising my kids again in California I would look into a Christian School. There are some that are surprisingly affordable - especially when the state is kicking in $3K yearly.

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
My wife and I both work and the nanny isn’t going to homeschool our kids. We bite the bullet and pay 3k a month for private school. Plus whatever I pay the nanny. I probably won’t be getting a truck for a while but I see it as an investment in my kids future I guess. One of these fuckers will have to take care of me when I’m old.

CLdrinker

Reaction score
Is your wife already a “Stay @ Home Mom”? Would she have to quit her job to do this? If I were raising my kids again in California I would look into a Christian School. There are some that are surprisingly affordable - especially when the state is kicking in $3K yearly.
State don’t kick in for private.

Wife works from home full time and I will only be going to the office 2 days a week at most. And I have every other Friday off. My mother in law lives with us 6 months a year ( usually during school) and she worked as a speacial education teacher.

It’s going to he difficult for sure. But how much 1 on 1 time does a kid get in a class of 30+ anyway?

Kids are 11, 5 and 3.

TeamGreene

Reaction score
Have you looked into Vanguard? All three of mine went there, it's still public but it's a charter/school of choice ie no busing etc teachers were all great with a 6th grade science exception. But they all did great there.

EmpirE231

Reaction score
If that is a state run program... I’d try to find a different alternative. The only way the school districts will ever get the message is to cut funding.

we switched to a private school before last school year, and we have the decided to stay. The extra perk, other than being a great school and quality education, is that it sends a big FU to the local school district. Paying for it sucks, but we figured out a way and will not be going back. Would be great if it were tax deductible in a way.

CLdrinker

Reaction score
Have you looked into Vanguard? All three of mine went there, it's still public but it's a charter/school of choice ie no busing etc teachers were all great with a 6th grade science exception. But they all did great there.

That’s where they are now. It’s been good. But after talking to some of the teachers. The critical race theory shit is coming and they will be teaching kids some fucked up sex Ed.

Not to mention the mask bullshit.
My oldest teacher started talking shit to my wife about the parents who protested the masks at the recent school board meeting.

Wife replied yup I was one of them!

TeamGreene

Reaction score
That’s where they are now. It’s been good. But after talking to some of the teachers. The critical race theory shit is coming and they will be teaching kids some fucked up sex Ed.

Not to mention the mask bullshit.
My oldest teacher started talking shit to my wife about the parents who protested the masks at the recent school board meeting.

Wife replied yup I was one of them!
That's sad to hear it was a good school. How about the Lewis Center?

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
The 11 yo still goes to public but with all the growth/covid crap etc the last year we put her in Sylvan 2-3x a week to fill the gaps....thats seemed to work for us. We've checked into the online schools as well...might be a place to look?

CLdrinker

Reaction score
That's sad to hear it was a good school. How about the Lewis Center?
All the same fucked up shit. Sorry I don’t need someone teaching my daughter how to masturbate, or that she don’t have to be a girl and white people have oppressed black people.

Most teachers are liberal and they push it in to the kids.
I want my kid to pick her own path not be swayed either way.

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
One of our neighbors home schooled the kids 20 years ago. Definitely not a bad thing for the kids. They did an on-line courses so the mother did not have to do the curriculum. That in itself is a job. The school was based out of Florida but the family was in Hawaii. I am sure that there are a lot more schools like this these days. If we had more than one kid that would have been the direction that I would have taken. Best of luck to you and your family. It is getting harder to do the right thing for your kids theses days.

TeamGreene

Reaction score
All the same fucked up shit. Sorry I don’t need someone teaching my daughter how to masturbate, or that she don’t have to be a girl and white people have oppressed black people.

Most teachers are liberal and they push it in to the kids.
I want my kid to pick her own path not be swayed either way.
Understood I would feel the same way just surprised as I knew a lot of the teachers at Vanguard and they were all pretty conservative.

CLdrinker

Reaction score
Understood I would feel the same way just surprised as I knew a lot of the teachers at Vanguard and they were all pretty conservative.
There are still allot of good ones.

Covid is kind of the straw that broke the camels back. I’m not cool with someone telling my kid to wear a fucking mask and I can’t do anything about it.

Icky

Reaction score
Why can't someone start an "old school" school. My son is 2 and it's something I've been thinking about. With all the crap they've been teaching these days, I can only imagine how bad it's going to be when he's ready for school.

JAA_CBA

Reaction score
As we all know the school systems suck and in covid bullshit and it is just a piss poor learning situation all around.

Add in the sex education curriculum they are trying to push and the critical race theory.
It’s becoming obvious that our kids growth is less than ideal.

Basically they provide the curriculum and a teacher that you can help guide you.
The state kicks back $3000 a year per kid for reimbursement for supply’s and sports to pay for the curriculum which is $700 from what I understand.

So my thought is I can hire a tutor 1 day a week on top of what we do and use the left over $2000 each kid. Plus we can pay a few grand out of pocket for help as well.

I don’t think we can do any worse than the dam school at this point.

Can’t afford private so seems like a good as chance as any.

Anyone else doing something similar?

Yep, basically what we have done for the past 10 years, our kids are 16 & 14. Wife is home full time, but think with the scenario you described, you will figure it out. We've tailored the curriculum, so we select the books and even have classes the kids go to once a week. There's no "one way" to homeschool, there is your families way and what each of your kids need to learn the best for them.

Done-it-again

Reaction score
You guys didn't have enough when kids were home for a year?

Another option is moving and changing school districts. Will see if this whole critical race theory comes to action. If so we will deal with it then.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
I posted this in another thread…some friends in DC pooled their money together with a few other parents, they hired a teacher to homeschool their kids.

Each family pays $1k/month, and IIRC there’s 6 families/kids total.

That’s $72k/year…I have to think that’s competitive pay for a teacher who won’t have to deal with school-district politics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Ducksquasher

Reaction score

Maybe I am not understanding this but when we looked at online homeschooling programs they got the money from the state...does the state directly kick the $3000 back to you to use how you see fit for your kid's homeschooling needs?

Mrs. Riley1

Reaction score
I have a dilemma. I homeschooled my son last year for 4th grade. We wanted him back in school this year for socializing so we signed him up for a private school. The gov just reinstated the mask mandate and we don’t want our son attending school if he has to wear a mask all day. I called the school to withdraw him and I can do it for the small fee of $3500. I don’t know what to do...

Waffles

Banned
Reaction score
I’m not sure how old your kid is but look into Montessori’s and/or charter schools. My 6 year old started off in a Montessori at 2 and is now going into her second year at a charter school as a second grader. The curriculums aren’t sand bagged and teachers don’t concern themselves with the social/political spectrum around them.

I’ll put it to you this way, while mental midgets at districts were losing their minds and canceling Dr. Seuss for being racist, ours was too busy giving everyone else two big fuck yous by continuing spirit week.

FAB584A9-2D31-4CF0-90E4-2B32EFC105D9.jpeg

CLdrinker

Reaction score
I have a dilemma. I homeschooled my son last year for 4th grade. We wanted him back in school this year for socializing so we signed him up for a private school. The gov just reinstated the mask mandate and we don’t want our son attending school if he has to wear a mask all day. I called the school to withdraw him and I can do it for the small fee of $3500. I don’t know what to do...
Oh shit. I better find out if the same will happen to me.

Ducksquasher

Reaction score
BL Drinker...where are you getting money back from the State for homeschooling? We are in the middle of this transition from private school to home schooling with our daughter who has special needs.

Thanks!

ChumpChange

Commercial Banker
Reaction score
We have always homeschooled. What program are you looking at? I have a friend who's wife runs one of those. We've stayed away from anything that will provide us any money as that puts you on the radar and gives up certain rights.

samsah33

Reaction score
Not only Christian schools, but be open to religious schools outside of your chosen religion if that's an option for you. I know a handful of Catholic parent that have sent their kids to a Jewish school, and they say you can't beat the cost/benefit of the schools and curriculum. Granted, these are Catholics who count weddings and funerals into their annual attendance (myself included!), so straying might not be an option for all...

CLdrinker

Reaction score
BL Drinker...where are you getting money back from the State for homeschooling? We are in the middle of this transition from private school to home schooling with our daughter who has special needs.

Thanks!
Granite Mountain charter out of Lucerne Valley of all places 😝.

My wife just clarified the money is in an account held by the school. But it goes towards your child and you have some control of how it can’t be sent. From what I understand it can go towards tutors.

I am hoping to clarify that as it is a big part of our decision as we won’t be able to do everything.

CLdrinker

Reaction score
We have always homeschooled. What program are you looking at? I have a friend who's wife runs one of those. We've stayed away from anything that will provide us any money as that puts you on the radar and gives up certain rights.
Granite Mountain charter.

what rights does it take away? PM if you need to.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Been really happy with our public elementary school down here in South OC. My son went to a private preschool last year, he is going to TK at the elementary school this year. They will have to wear masks indoors for now. District was saying no masks at all until Newsom got involved.

Wife is on the PTA board and has some insight on the curriculum, etc. Not happy about CRT, we may be gone by the time it is an issue anyway.

Last edited:

HB2Havasu

Reaction score
My school district along with a few others are suing Newsome over the face masks. I think things are changing and parents are pushing back. Not sure how it will play out but this should help. We have a few weeks to go until school starts for my kids so things can change from now until then for us.

https://nationworldnews.com/orange-...n-will-sue-government-newsom-over-face-masks/
Praying Newsome gets recalled next month and all his executive orders get overturned!

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
My neighbors kids go to a Prenda run micro School here in Havasu. You might want to look into them.

endobear

Reaction score
After the horrible year last year doing remote it looks like we are doing a hybrid home school deal. Two Roads School.
2 days a week are in person. They go over work, test, get there assignments for the week and have their electives.
They are on there own to get the work done for the rest of the week. All pen. Paper and books.
After helping my kids do the remote online learning last year there is no way I'm putting them back in the same charter school again. I witnessed 1st hand through their zoom classes exactly how little the kids really get done in class and how real the hole critical race teaching getting rammed down there throats really was.
Twins are 11. My wife works from home or travels. Not much travel last year. This year will be different.
I'm self employed. I'll take a pay hit again this year to be around more to keep them on task. I think its worth it.

stingray11

Reaction score
Call the home school legal defense, If you're not a member get signed up,they will get you out of it. That is total bullshit what state are you in. We home school both our kids. Daughter went on to Anderson University a very successful interior designer very sought after And works for a big firm in Charlotte, NC she writes the blueprints on interior design and flys all over North America looking at new products. Our son just graduated, was a very fast High school Swimmer, one of the top swimmers in the nation. In fact at the Pennsylvania States he swam in the heat with the kid that broke the national speed record for 50 freestyle. Do not worry about that BS about socialization that is all Bullshit spread around by the Public school districts.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

Mrs. Riley1

Reaction score
Call the home school legal defense, If you're not a member get signed up,they will get you out of it. That is total bullshit what state are you in. We home school both our kids. Daughter went on to Anderson University a very successful interior designer very sought after And works for a big firm in Charlotte, NC she writes the blueprints on interior design and flys all over North America looking at new products. Our son just graduated, was a very fast High school Swimmer, one of the top swimmers in the nation. In fact at the Pennsylvania States he swam in the heat with the kid that broke the national speed record for 50 freestyle. Do not worry about that BS about socialization that is all Bullshit spread around by the Public school districts.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk
We’re in Nevada. Clark County

Yldboyz

Reaction score
My wife and I both work and the nanny isn’t going to homeschool our kids. We bite the bullet and pay 3k a month for private school. Plus whatever I pay the nanny. I probably won’t be getting a truck for a while but I see it as an investment in my kids future I guess. One of these fuckers will have to take care of me when I’m old.

That investment is going to put you into the retirement home.

My wife is a stay at home mom, and with Covid she said that year of teaching was brutal... 3 kids 24-7. My hat is off to her.
I guess it would come down to how patient you are, some are more than others.

HBCraig

Reaction score
No chance

I specifically bought my house in HB to be in the school system. It's solid. No fucking way we home school

My daughter is off to college in 2 weeks on scholarship and my son is at HB HS and doing well.

CLdrinker

Reaction score
No chance

I specifically bought my house in HB to be in the school system. It's solid. No fucking way we home school

My daughter is off to college in 2 weeks on scholarship and my son is at HB HS and doing well.

what is your school districts stance on sex Ed and critical race theory. Are they forced to wear masks?
Sounds like your kids are allot older. So that is different.

HBCraig

Reaction score
They say they need masks but between you and me, no go.

Don't know on critical race theory. My son won't partake in that.

locogringo

Yo Mama
Reaction score

Did the same thing this year. No freakin’ way I’m having our kids stay in public system, with all that is going on and being implemented, even though the school they were going to was phenomenal (for the most part).

Kids are being destroyed enough having to wear stupid ass masks that have been proven over and over to cause more damage to them (psychology-wise).

Rant over but

Tom Slick

Reaction score
I just got home from the school board meeting and I'm not very optimistic going into the school year.

Funny thing, my daughters kindergarten teacher was there and we got to chatting. I asked her her thoughts about all of the BS going on in schools, wanting some insider info. She dogged directly answering the question by asking me if we ever thought about home schooling. She went on to tell me how great home schooling was. That told me all I need to know about the public school system in its current sate.

CLdrinker

Reaction score
They say they need masks but between you and me, no go.

Don't know on critical race theory. My son won't partake in that.
My kids are to young to have a opinion that alone understand allot of things. I think the school could easily sway the way my kids view things.

if they were older I could manage the bullshit by having conversations with them. But when they are younger those conversations are difficult to have when the little one is barely grasping the topic.

HBCraig

Reaction score
My kids are to young to have a opinion that alone understand allot of things. I think the school could easily sway the way my kids view things.

if they were older I could manage the bullshit by having conversations with them. But when they are younger those conversations are difficult to have when the little one is barely grasping the topic.
Understand completely

This CRT is totally horseshit. It will be gone in a year or two and they will drum up some other left wing topic. Unfortunately

HBCraig

Reaction score
I just got home from the school board meeting and I'm not very optimistic going into the school year.

Funny thing, my daughters kindergarten teacher was there and we got to chatting. I asked her her thoughts about all of the BS going on in schools, wanting some insider info. She dogged directly answering the question by asking me if we ever thought about home schooling. She went on to tell me how great home schooling was. That told me all I need to know about the public school system in its current sate.
Wow man. Your own teacher even says that. That's insane. What school district or area if you don't mind me asking. No need for the school name. Just curious

kurtis500

Reaction score
Depends on the parent honestly. We homeschooled only before grade school but I dont think it counts as much. My wife is highly educated and a CFO and taught at a CC for 15 years. Also was a CFO and COO at a private school for 7 years. basically it depends whos doing the teaching and WHY

trophybug19

Reaction score
So question, how does home schooling work? Who do you go through for the material? Is the material put into a packet for you and it is easy enough for a idiot like myself to present it to my kids? We are debating now on what to do, like many here we believe the school system has failed our kids, but we are no teachers, I lack the patience to teach and the time. I work in a refinery, right now I am in a position were I work 4 10hr days, but at anytime I could be put back onto rotating shift. My wife admits she is no teacher and is afraid she will fail our kids more than the schools have, and I cant blame her for feeling that way. She is no idiot though and I know she would do a great job. Just looking for a little guidance on how it works and maybe of some programs that we should look at and maybe even some that we should avoid or be cautious of. I don't know if it makes a difference but we are in the Long Beach area.

CLdrinker

Reaction score
So question, how does home schooling work? Who do you go through for the material? Is the material put into a packet for you and it is easy enough for a idiot like myself to present it to my kids? We are debating now on what to do, like many here we believe the school system has failed our kids, but we are no teachers, I lack the patience to teach and the time. I work in a refinery, right now I am in a position were I work 4 10hr days, but at anytime I could be put back onto rotating shift. My wife admits she is no teacher and is afraid she will fail our kids more than the schools have, and I cant blame her for feeling that way. She is no idiot though and I know she would do a great job. Just looking for a little guidance on how it works and maybe of some programs that we should look at and maybe even some that we should avoid or be cautious of. I don't know if it makes a difference but we are in the Long Beach area.
The school we are going with let’s you choose different electives. And gives you curriculum every Monday.

DaveC

Car-boat motors
Reaction score
My kids are a bit older. But I always thought my job as a parent was to bring some balance to their education. I mean clearly they are getting a good left wing education. And that was it.

I figured it was up to me to fill in the blanks.

So we did the thing where I asked what they did today and would ask a series of questions of what they learned. If I felt it was good I left it alone. If it needed some augmentation I added to their knowledge.

I can take a topic like CRT and render all the work the school district did as moot and totally useless.

To me someone should hear both sides and make up their own mind.

I think I did a good job. I may actually have to pull back a bit since my youngest will knee cap yore ass if you talk shit about trump. I need to slow his roll a bit.

Remember a few years ago during the campus protests against conservative speakers on college campus? They asked students why they were attending. Well everyone assumed the students opposed the speakers which was wrong. But the most common response from the students was they wanted to hear the conservative point of view because they never get it at school.

Last edited:

DaveC

Car-boat motors
Reaction score
Most of what the public school teaches is fine and not political. Kids still need and receive their math, science, reading.

Over the years I only really had a problem with a few things. Then you have the teachers with their opinions passed along as facts. All those are easy to correct.

I also think teaching a child how to identify bias and how to deal with it is important. The world is full of bias and everyone has it so learning how to deal with it is a necessary life skill.

The main problem as I see it is the core education in public school is substandard. So to seek improvement in that should be the first step.

Finding an alternative to avoid the bias in public school should be second step, albeit an important one.