WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Anyone in the US sell handles/wraps?

slalom26

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

East coast guy here and I am very new to this sport and forum. I participated in my first race last year and it was a blast so now I'm trying to get the proper gear. Problem is I can only find the double handle wraps from Australia and I don't even want to know what the shipping would be for that. I'm looking for anyone selling some in the US or instructions on how to make your own and where to find the material.

Thanks! Ben

obnoxious001

Engine building character
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

East coast guy here and I am very new to this sport and forum. I participated in my first race last year and it was a blast so now I'm trying to get the proper gear. Problem is I can only find the double handle wraps from Australia and I don't even want to know what the shipping would be for that. I'm looking for anyone selling some in the US or instructions on how to make your own and where to find the material.

Thanks! Ben

I made a handfull of them up years ago to test out, right about the same time Charlie Sanders came out with his for sale. Charlie's were so well accepted that I stuck mine on the shelf except for the ones I used myself, and a couple that I gave to friends. His are real nice, but hard to get ahold of now days. Todd Haig has some that come with the extra handle if you want to set yours up that way. I ordered a few the other day, may have a spare set once they arrive.

Making them up yourself is not a huge undertaking if you know how to braid loops into the rope. My handles were made of 1/2" Lexan polycarbonate plastic. Charlie's were made of bent tubing, pretty sure they must be stainless steel, but they are wrapped with padding and tape so have never pulled any apart. Another way might be with aluminum tubing with a wooden dowel inside, then wrapped with some sort of padding. My Lexan handles worked, and did not chafe the webbing that the bridle was made from, since I sanded and deburred them, but they were large enough diameter that I only put a few wraps of sports tape on them, more for grip than padding.

slalom26

Reaction score
Thanks for the info, I'm going to try ordering a set from DC and if that falls through I'll probably try to make my own.

Question about starting, do you guys start with the double handles already behind your back or do you hold them separate and then once up put them behind your back?

rivergames

Reaction score
I made a handfull of them up years ago to test out, right about the same time Charlie Sanders came out with his for sale. Charlie's were so well accepted that I stuck mine on the shelf except for the ones I used myself, and a couple that I gave to friends. His are real nice, but hard to get ahold of now days. Todd Haig has some that come with the extra handle if you want to set yours up that way. I ordered a few the other day, may have a spare set once they arrive.

Making them up yourself is not a huge undertaking if you know how to braid loops into the rope. My handles were made of 1/2" Lexan polycarbonate plastic. Charlie's were made of bent tubing, pretty sure they must be stainless steel, but they are wrapped with padding and tape so have never pulled any apart. Another way might be with aluminum tubing with a wooden dowel inside, then wrapped with some sort of padding. My Lexan handles worked, and did not chafe the webbing that the bridle was made from, since I sanded and deburred them, but they were large enough diameter that I only put a few wraps of sports tape on them, more for grip than padding.

I need 175' of new rope. Got a idea where to find that?

obnoxious001

Reaction score
Thanks for the info, I'm going to try ordering a set from DC and if that falls through I'll probably try to make my own.

Question about starting, do you guys start with the double handles already behind your back or do you hold them separate and then once up put them behind your back?

If you are racing, you will want to learn to start "wrapped" with them behind your back, so you don't need the boat to pause so you can get wrapped up, you can get with it right away. Once you get up wrapped you won't want to get up with your hands in front of you anymore. I bet Todd's handles are less money, less to ship, and basically like the DC (Even though Danny Cropper is my friend), just makes sense. Stuff in Australia seems to cost more even before shipping.

River Lynchmob

What can I do to u for u?
Reaction score
If you are racing, you will want to learn to start "wrapped" with them behind your back, so you don't need the boat to pause so you can get wrapped up, you can get with it right away. Once you get up wrapped you won't want to get up with your hands in front of you anymore. I bet Todd's handles are less money, less to ship, and basically like the DC (Even though Danny Cropper is my friend), just makes sense. Stuff in Australia seems to cost more even before shipping.

With the Aus $ only being $.74 right now they might be about the same. DC will be here for Catalina next month I'm sure he could bring a few if need be.

obnoxious001

Reaction score
With the Aus $ only being $.74 right now they might be about the same. DC will be here for Catalina next month I'm sure he could bring a few if need be.

I ordered 3 of the "TH" specials the other day after looking one over. I am still using one from Charlie.

Your dad pulled someone earlier, maybe your sister,, he was pulling the rope in out in front of my house.

River Lynchmob

Reaction score
I ordered 3 of the "TH" specials the other day after looking one over. I am still using one from Charlie.

Your dad pulled someone earlier, maybe your sister,, he was pulling the rope in out in front of my house.
It was my sister.

obnoxious001

Reaction score
Haha...did you explain it to them

No, they're from Utah!

Your sister must need her eyes checked, she said I look the same as I used to! Guess they are having a great time and decided to stay a couple of extra days.

River Lynchmob

Reaction score
No, they're from Utah!

Your sister must need her eyes checked, she said I look the same as I used to! Guess they are having a great time and decided to stay a couple of extra days.
Actually she's from so cal and he's from Kansas...just relocated to Utah. Yes they are having a great time.

CJ131

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Thanks! Ben

I HAVE ROPE AND BRIDALS CJ BAKER 951-285-8300

CJ131

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Thanks! Ben

I HAVE ROPE AND BRIDALS CJ BAKER 951-285-8300