WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Anyone into air guns?

Mikes56

Reaction score
i just ordered an air rifle to blast the crows that are shitting all over my backyard. I've owned lots or firearms, but this is my first airgun.

Xring01

Reaction score
I have some high end PCPs

FX and a Airforce..

.25 cal at 980 fos drops coyotes at 50 yds

Mikes56

Reaction score
I just got a Umarex Gauntlet in .177. I'm looking for a scope for it, any suggestions on which one to get?

NicPaus

Reaction score
Make sure nobody calls on you if you live in city. Discharging a firearm is a crime. I dropped one over a year ago. Its mate still shows up squakiin at me every now and then from same pole. As soon as I go to grab my pellet gun it takes off. Smart birds.

EBT531

Reaction score
Make sure nobody calls on you if you live in city. Discharging a firearm is a crime. I dropped one over a year ago. Its mate still shows up squakiin at me every now and then from same pole. As soon as I go to grab my pellet gun it takes off. Smart birds.
Are you in AZ or CA? In AZ a pellet gun shouldn't qualify as a firearm by ARS definition "“Firearm” means any loaded or unloaded handgun, pistol, revolver, rifle, shotgun or other weapon that will expel, is designed to expel or may readily be converted to expel a projectile by the action of an explosive.  Firearm does not include a firearm in permanently inoperable condition."

NicPaus

Reaction score
Are you in AZ or CA? In AZ a pellet gun shouldn't qualify as a firearm by ARS definition "“Firearm” means any loaded or unloaded handgun, pistol, revolver, rifle, shotgun or other weapon that will expel, is designed to expel or may readily be converted to expel a projectile by the action of an explosive.  Firearm does not include a firearm in permanently inoperable condition."
CA. Years ago had the local PD show up and explain it. Now I act like a sniper when the crows show up.

Xring01

Reaction score
I am no expert on CA Gun Laws..
But a Pellet Gun, is not considered a Fire Arm... Will a local cop try to give you ticket yep... But if you fight it, You will win...

Because Fire Arms have very specific definitions, that eliminate Air Guns....

My neighbor used to be Riverside County Sheriff, (Now retired and moved to Texas), we debated this for months... In the beginning he was of the opinion Airguns in City Limits are illegal....

I convinced him otherwise...

Do you own research though....

stoker2001

Reaction score
I have some high end PCPs

FX and a Airforce..

.25 cal at 980 fos drops coyotes at 50 yds
I got first gen AF Talon SS in 22cal..PCPs are SO powerful and accurate these day but don't come cheap..The short barrel version can be stealthy quite for urban setting,you have to mod the moderator with felt discs and washers,otherwise they are REAL loud!mine is so quite I think the thud from pellet hitting target is louder then discharge..Crows are crazy smart and will hold a funeral procession if you drop one in the flock..one time I got two with single shot as they were both next to each other on powerline and from my angle they were inline:cool:

zx14

Reaction score
I just got a Umarex Gauntlet in .177. I'm looking for a scope for it, any suggestions on which one to get?
Just make sure it’s a airgun scope, recoil is the opposite direction. Glass can dislodge if using the wrong one.

stoker2001

Reaction score
Just make sure it’s a airgun scope, recoil is the opposite direction. Glass can dislodge if using the wrong one.
Yes sir,very important with spring piston powerplant types whether they are break-barrel or side cocking.Pre charged Pneumatics don't apply here

Mikes56

Reaction score
Ok thanks guys. I'll call the place I bought it from and see what the say about a scope.

JUSTWANNARACE

Reaction score
I have the gamo swarm and really like it. I especially like the 10 round rotary clips so you're not reloading every shot. And the scope is pretty accurate for what it is.
20190114_163208.jpg
20190114_171816.jpg
20190114_171915.jpg
20190114_172041.jpg
20190119_150916.jpg

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

LowRiver2

Reaction score
Pyramid air has great deals

Nope
Air guns not illegal in Ca
Reason I have on e

If you’ve ever driven through La Habra Heights you’d know why I one one.

It
Gets fired more than my duty gun some months lol

77charger

Reaction score
I bought a daisy for a couple of rats i had around the house it did its job got them suckers.Was a 10 pump model all i know is the newer ones are junk compared to the ones i had as a kid.All plastic on the new one the old one as a kid had wood stock metal pump handle and felt better overall.What a difference from 82 to 2006.

As for newer ones id probably buy one of the gamos or similar those seem to be pretty strong.

77charger

Reaction score
64BF4EB7-7B52-4989-A44D-784D0BCA76D2.jpeg
8CFBD9CE-4F65-496B-AA78-E66E61FDFA5C.jpeg
64BF4EB7-7B52-4989-A44D-784D0BCA76D2.jpeg
162BF649-F6BD-4CFC-B7C8-B5D64721768F.jpeg
8CFBD9CE-4F65-496B-AA78-E66E61FDFA5C.jpeg
The
Pyramid air has great deals

Nope
Air guns not illegal in Ca
Reason I have on e

If you’ve ever driven through La Habra Heights you’d know why I one one.

It
Gets fired more than my duty gun some months lol
Not related to air guns but watching Adam 12 thought you’d find this interesting

Mikes56

Reaction score
So I got the scope mounted and shot at some targets in my backyard. It was about 25 yards away and I'm not happy with the group I'm getting on the target. It's nothing close to what the manufacturer claims. I was using some old Crossman ammo at first, then I changed to what airgundepot.com recommended for the gun. The groups are better, but not even close to where they should be. Anyone got any ideas? Is the a better pellet for target shooting?

Old Texan

Honorary Warden #377 Emeritus - R.I.P.
Reaction score
So I got the scope mounted and shot at some targets in my backyard. It was about 25 yards away and I'm not happy with the group I'm getting on the target. It's nothing close to what the manufacturer claims. I was using some old Crossman ammo at first, then I changed to what airgundepot.com recommended for the gun. The groups are better, but not even close to where they should be. Anyone got any ideas? Is the a better pellet for target shooting?
The red plastic point and brass pellets are accurate, so if those are what you're shooting it probably is something else. I have a Winchester which is actually a Daisy and could never keep the scope sighted in, so I pulled it off and just use open sights. Easier for the backyard vermin I use it for anyway. Accurate with the open sights so not the gun or pellets.

My Gamo Bull Whisper has a better scope and haven't had an issue with it. Problem with the Gamo is the 1400 fps makes it loud drawing attention when I drop a critter.......

Mikes56

Reaction score
The red plastic point and brass pellets are accurate, so if those are what you're shooting it probably is something else. I have a Winchester which is actually a Daisy and could never keep the scope sighted in, so I pulled it off and just use open sights. Easier for the backyard vermin I use it for anyway. Accurate with the open sights so not the gun or pellets.

My Gamo Bull Whisper has a better scope and haven't had an issue with it. Problem with the Gamo is the 1400 fps makes it loud drawing attention when I drop a critter.......
Thanks, I just ordered some Gamo Red Fire pellets from Amazon. They will be here tomorrow. Can you suggest any others? I've never owned an air rifle before.

Old Texan

Honorary Warden #377 Emeritus - R.I.P.
Reaction score
Thanks, I just ordered some Gamo Red Fire pellets from Amazon. They will be here tomorrow. Can you suggest any others? I've never owned an air rifle before.
Those and the Gamo brass hi-speed are what I use

Mikes56

Reaction score
The Gamo Red Fire pellets did the trick. The gun is really accurate now. I'm gong to buy some brass pellets to see if it can get any better.

johnnyC

Reaction score
The Gamo Red Fire pellets did the trick. The gun is really accurate now. I'm gong to buy some brass pellets to see if it can get any better.
make sure you close the barrel fully, sometimes they look closed and are actually slightly ajar . your groups will tighten up. the locking latch can be a little sloppy

Mikes56

Reaction score
make sure you close the barrel fully, sometimes they look closed and are actually slightly ajar . your groups will tighten up. the locking latch can be a little sloppy
It's a bolt action rifle

JUSTWANNARACE

Reaction score
My ol ladies cousin came down from spokane. Got the Gamo out and took his boy in the back yard and tought him how to shoot today. Good times
20200322_165013.jpg
imagejpeg_0(8).jpg

stoker2001

Reaction score
every diff airgun will like diff ammo,its trial and error.try getting a sampler kit from RWS or Beeman/crossmen also JSB exacts are good.they get expensive,but you pay for what you get..Also barrel gets dirty from lead deposits and what not causing accuracy to suffer.good cleaning kit is a must.the good ones will be a cable with needle type attachment that holds a cleaning patch,follow directions using solution on patch pulling patch thru barrel.After cleaning it can take a few rounds to "settle" then you should get better accuracy