WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Anyone know their mezcal?

Tooms22

On Vacation
Reaction score
I've been dabbling in mezcal lately and have bought a couple bottles (tasting at bars and restaurants isn't much of an option right now). One is borderline liquid smoke and the other is relatively mild. I definitely prefer the mild.

So before I burn another $50-75 on an uneducated purchase, does anyone have any suggestions for good mezcal?

steamin rice

No Bad Days....
Reaction score
I've been drinking a lot of different white tequilas for the last few years, but have not ventured into mezcals yet. Bozal Ensamble and Mezcal Vago Espadin are both to be pretty good Mezcals to start with and are around $50 per bottle. I've seen the Vago in stores, but not the Bozal.

oliverm5

Reaction score
Try "El Silencio". I think it's exactly what you're looking for. Comes in a black bottle.

Tooms22

On Vacation
Reaction score
I've been drinking a lot of different white tequilas for the last few years, but have not ventured into mezcals yet. Bozal Ensamble and Mezcal Vago Espadin are both to be pretty good Mezcals to start with and are around $50 per bottle. I've seen the Vago in stores, but not the Bozal.

An employee at Hi-Times in Costa Mesa mentioned Bozal. He said try any of them, they're all good. I'll look into Mezcal Vago. Already saw it was 50% ABV :oops:

Try "El Silencio". I think it's exactly what you're looking for. Comes in a black bottle.

Yes, this is on the shelf at a lot of Mexican restaurants. Definitely one of the "Tito's" of mezcal. It's pretty good.

steamin rice

No Bad Days....
Reaction score
I haven't tried any of them, but someone who is really into Mezcals like all of the Bozal variants. I'm not sure if they distribute in AZ or not, but so far I haven't seen it on the shelves near me. The Vago Espadin is supposed to be good, but I think with a lot of smoke similar to Islay scotch. That could be a good thing or a bad thing depending on your taste preferences.

TeamGreene

Reaction score
Don't know if it's any good or not but Two Hombres mezcal is from Bryan Cranston and Aaron Paul. Heard Cranston on Dan Patrick show talking about it.

Hypnautic

Reaction score
Don't know if it's any good or not but Two Hombres mezcal is from Bryan Cranston and Aaron Paul. Heard Cranston on Dan Patrick show talking about it.

Had some email that was advertising it just this am..
IMG_0293.jpg

franky

Reaction score
really good reviews. light smoke on the nose with fruit. mild smoke on the pallet. $60 at Old Town Tequila

Tooms22

On Vacation
Reaction score
really good reviews. light smoke on the nose with fruit. mild smoke on the pallet. $60 at Old Town Tequila

It's interesting to see the online store reviews vs. the snobby mezcal people reviews 😁

franky

Reaction score

Tooms22

On Vacation
Reaction score
It was a Tequila Aficionado live review not online store, but thanks

I read the reviews on Old Town Tequila. And I wasn't talking shit on your claim of good reviews. I actually hate half of the reviews on Mezcalreviews.com. Those guys are speaking a different, snobby language.

franky

Reaction score
I am feeling like I'm the only one in the room that has no idea wtf people are talking about.. What is Mezcal?

RD
Just stick with your Coors Light Dave, you have no business getting near this stuff.....

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Just stick with your Coors Light Dave, you have no business getting near this stuff.....

While you are probably correct there is no reason to be rude about it.. LOL

RD

Tooms22

On Vacation
Reaction score
While you are probably correct there is no reason to be rude about it.. LOL

RD

It's a spirit made with the heart of agave plants (tequila is only from one type). They roast the hearts in a oven or a over a pit of hot stones. This gives mezcal the smokey flavor. Then they mash it and ferment it. All the bottles I have seen tend to be over 40% ABV and sometimes 50%.

It goes in most drinks that would normally have tequila but it obviously makes it smokier. Most people sip it.

That is my basic understanding.

AZMIDLYF

Reaction score
Yes, Mezcal is not limited to the blue agave like tequila. That's all I will say because I am not a fan of it at all.

WATERDOG

Eliminator Eagle Flying free in the heavens above!
Reaction score
An employee at Hi-Times in Costa Mesa mentioned Bozal. He said try any of them, they're all good. I'll look into Mezcal Vago. Already saw it was 50% ABV :oops:

Yes, this is on the shelf at a lot of Mexican restaurants. Definitely one of the "Tito's" of mezcal. It's pretty good.
Is not Tito's 100% corn?

AZMIDLYF

Reaction score
Never heard of a Mezcal Reposado. I know Sammy Hagar has a new twist on Mezcal called Mezquila. I haven't been able to find it locally yet.

12291733618718.png

Tooms22

On Vacation
Reaction score
Here’s the two I’ve bought. The one on the left is actually doing a crowd investing deal. I could only find it in Mammoth Lakes, which was pretty odd.

E7870183-0AC7-4908-8F69-CDD669C5269D.jpeg

I’m going to order the Bozal Ensamble and El Tinieblo Reposado on Old Town Tequila tonight.

rrrr

Reaction score
Anyone know their mezcal?

The only thing I know about it was discovered when I was on an AAU wrestling team that toured the area around Mexico City, Puebla, and Jalapa in the 70s.

One night after a match, we went to a party thrown by some Mexican wrestlers. That's when I found out that mezcal makes you puke all over your shoes, and produces a ginormous hangover.