WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Anyone know this boat? 25' Datona

tunnel vision

Reaction score
Hi guys, a friend of mine bought this 1999 25' Daytona with a 502/whipple this year in Havasu, and would like to find out as much info on it that he can. The boats in pretty good shape, but its missing a couple of things and he hopes maybe of getting ahold of the last owner.

The next question for you 25' Daytona owners is this, this thing hops like a mofo from about 65 on up, and at about 70ish this thing hops side ways in the stern for a brief moment like someone just hit you from the side, settles back down and continues to hop like a bitch.

I know the 99 models did have a bottom issue and was resolved in the next model years with the double step bottom, but what's the key to settling this think down?

I have two thoughts, add tabs to the stern to minimize the hop, and change propellers from the 26" four blade Bravo I to a 27-28" three blade. I think the four blade is what's causing the crab walk and the lifting of the stern resulting in the violent hop.

Now I know most cats, my DCB included have a little hump you need to drive through, but this thing is dangerous!

Any help would appreciated.

Attachments

• FOT9B8E.jpg
    FOT9B8E.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 75
  • imagejpeg_0.jpg
    imagejpeg_0.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 76

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Pretty boat. I think you could resolve the hop / handling with prop changes. Not sure tabs are necessary. If you are going to do tabs I would do the fixed tunnel tabs.

underpressure

Reaction score
I had a 99 25 Daytona, but had the twin step hull. It was built in 98, but was the 99 model year. Never experienced any "hop", but would occasionally get a little porpoising under certain conditions (load being a primary factor) - but only occasonally. The boat was extremely predictable and never did anything unexpected. A sideways hop at 65 - 70 sounds pretty effing scary...

A pic of mine (sold it this year)...

Attachments

• DSC00146[1].jpg
    DSC00146[1].jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 48

tunnel vision

Reaction score
I had a 99 25 Daytona, but had the twin step hull. It was built in 98, but was the 99 model year. Never experienced any "hop", but would occasionally get a little porpoising under certain conditions (load being a primary factor) - but only occasonally. The boat was extremely predictable and never did anything unexpected. A sideways hop at 65 - 70 sounds pretty effing scary...

A pic of mine (sold it this year)...

What were you running for a prop?

hallett21

Reaction score
Where was the outdrive trimmed during the hop and side step?

tunnel vision

Reaction score
Boat had a Procharger 540 and ran a blueprinted 30" 4 blade Bravo prop.

Wow, he has a stock 502 with a whipple on it, and we tried a labbed 28 & 30" bravo and a Hydromotive 26? four blade and he cant even get on plane!

FreeBird236

Reaction score
It would probably be pricey, but I believe I've heard Bob Teague talk about a modification to the bottom. Wonder if the sideways hop could be stearing related? Good luck.:)

BDMar

B & D Marine
Reaction score
The "sideways hop" is not the bottom. It has other mechanical issues. Fixed tunnel tabs would not be my choice for the "normal hop".

Havasu Hangin'

Lord of the Drinks
Reaction score
Wonder if the sideways hop could be stearing related? Good luck.:)

if it's coming from the stern, it could be prop walk. I've been in boats that do this- it's a very uneasy feeling. The prop is surfacing, and the torque of when it loads again will try to walk the stern sideways. Never heard of it on a big Daytona, though.

underpressure

Reaction score
Wow, he has a stock 502 with a whipple on it, and we tried a labbed 28 & 30" bravo and a Hydromotive 26? four blade and he cant even get on plane!

Hmm, something's not right :p Should have no problem getting on plane with that combo. Mine also had dual ram external steering. I never had any problems getting on plane, but could easily blow out the prop if I hit it too hard. Just rolled on the trhottle and at about 2500 it would roll over...

traquer

Reaction score
I don't know anything about cats, but maybe check for a hook in the hull on one side? If so, it's something Eliminator could easily fix. Like I said, I know nothing about cats.

tunnel vision

Reaction score
Where was the outdrive trimmed during the hop and side step?

I tried to roll up on it, increasing the trim and got to the neutral (center of the gage) and bam it goes side ways for a brief moment. The next time we were rolling 30-40 and started running the throttle up and trim to the UP position and it did the same thing. He did call bob and he said yes it does need tabs to control the bad hop (bow bouncing violently) but I don't know if he told him about the side step.

HTMike

OG
Reaction score
Probably needs a -2 Shorty. Have you checked the Gimbal to make sure its not loose ? That side hop issue sounds like a scary problem.

tunnel vision

Reaction score
Probably needs a -2 Shorty. Have you checked the Gimbal to make sure its not loose ? That side hop issue sounds like a scary problem.

No he has not had a chance to look at it, however the drive seems fairly tight (static) on the trailer.

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
Deets143 on PB used to have a 25 with that gel scheme with I think it had blown 540. It could be the same boat, but his had different CF numbers so probably a different boat. Last I saw it it was in Havasu. His boat seemed to run good and take a good set. You might try to PM him

tunnel vision

Reaction score
Deets143 on PB used to have a 25 with that gel scheme with I think it had blown 540. It could be the same boat, but his had different CF numbers so probably a different boat. Last I saw it it was in Havasu. His boat seemed to run good and take a good set. You might try to PM him

Thanks we'll try that...

Gelcoater

Reaction score

There's a shitload of 25's with that gel scheme on them;)

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score
Why grumble?You bought it:D

At least it looks good,and isn't reverse flames.

True story told it a 100 times. When I bought the boat they gave me a outline of the boat to draw the colors and design in. Had no clue. My wife was freinds with a pinstriper named Marcy. He said that Eliminator had a new boat down in the show room that had the new waving checkers on it instead of the lighting bolts and big checkers. We tweaked it a little on then they used my boat in the 98' boat show. I talked with Jim Foley the first weekend and he said they sold 5 boats already. I said 5 Eagles. He said 5 Eagles just like yours. Same colors and design. :grumble: :p

Wicky

Mr. Potatohead
Reaction score
Hi guys, a friend of mine bought this 1999 25' Daytona with a 502/whipple this year in Havasu, and would like to find out as much info on it that he can. The boats in pretty good shape, but its missing a couple of things and he hopes maybe of getting ahold of the last owner.

The next question for you 25' Daytona owners is this, this thing hops like a mofo from about 65 on up, and at about 70ish this thing hops side ways in the stern for a brief moment like someone just hit you from the side, settles back down and continues to hop like a bitch.

I know the 99 models did have a bottom issue and was resolved in the next model years with the double step bottom, but what's the key to settling this think down?

I have two thoughts, add tabs to the stern to minimize the hop, and change propellers from the 26" four blade Bravo I to a 27-28" three blade. I think the four blade is what's causing the crab walk and the lifting of the stern resulting in the violent hop.

Now I know most cats, my DCB included have a little hump you need to drive through, but this thing is dangerous!

Just get a wakeboard boat...all the cool kids are getting them

Gelcoater

Reaction score
True story told it a 100 times. When I bought the boat they gave me a outline of the boat to draw the colors and design in. Had no clue. My wife was freinds with a pinstriper named Marcy. He said that Eliminator had a new boat down in the show room that had the new waving checkers on it instead of the lighting bolts and big checkers. We tweaked it a little on then they used my boat in the 98' boat show. I talked with Jim Foley the first weekend and he said they sold 5 boats already. I said 5 Eagles. He said 5 Eagles just like yours. Same colors and design. :grumble: :p

My last post on this thread,no where related to the op.

First one done with that design had a yellow to white fade under the design,the whole of the sides were a fade.Pretty cutting edge at the time.
Sprayed by Bob's at the time bro-inlaw,Rod Rothrock.I watched him do it,trying to line up all the angles and measurements gave him fits:D

And it's "Maurcie";)

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score
CCF08052014_00000.jpg
My last post on this thread,no where related to the op.

First one done with that design had a yellow to white fade under the design,the whole of the sides were a fade.Pretty cutting edge at the time.
Sprayed by Bob's at the time bro-inlaw,Rod Rothrock.I watched him do it,trying to line up all the angles and measurements gave him fits:D

And it's "Maurcie";)

:p Do you know this guy.

tunnel vision

Reaction score
if it's coming from the stern, it could be prop walk. I've been in boats that do this- it's a very uneasy feeling. The prop is surfacing, and the torque of when it loads again will try to walk the stern sideways. Never heard of it on a big Daytona, though.

Your right, it feels like prop walk, the ass settles when the bow goes up, when bow goes down the prop must loose its bite and crab walks briefly. That's why we were thinking of trying a three blade prop. But others have said they are running Bravos and no problem.

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
Would the X dimension have anything to do with it? A high X dimension combined with a little too much trim, or a trim indicator that is "off" a bit causing an over-trimmed condition could probably cause that prop walk, right? Just thinking out loud here, throwing ideas out to consider.

plaster dave

Face down A$$ up
Reaction score
Your right, it feels like prop walk, the ass settles when the bow goes up, when bow goes down the prop must loose its bite and crab walks briefly. That's why we were thinking of trying a three blade prop. But others have said they are running Bravos and no problem.

As others have said x sounds high. Add a spacer and it should help out. P

Rising Sun

Reaction score
Bob said to come in and buy a new 25 Daytona. That should solve the problem.:D

LLGirl

sometimes Mr. LLGril ;)
Reaction score

We looked at that boat when it was at Horizon. Drove it with the setup it had (26 prop I believe) and didn't have any bad hopping issues up to around 80mph. I wonder if they changed props before selling it? It also got on plane very easy with 5 adults in it when we drove it.

BigQ

Reaction score
This is the rear on the 2000.

back shot.jpg

tunnel vision

Reaction score
I'm trying to get a better shot of his transom, I can't really tell from the above pic. I'll post it when I get it.

X Hoser

Reaction score
I had a 2004 25' Daytona with the single step hull. Jim Foley sold me the boat. He stated the single step hulls were faster hulls than the 2 step but porpoised between 55-60 on smooth water. I had fixed trim tabs installed at his suggestion before it ever got wet. NEVER had even a hint of a porpoise or hop at any speed or on any type of water. Absolutely the best ride ever. I believe something with the rigging is bad in this boat. Take it to Bob at Eliminator and have him check it out. Maybe it was rigged by someone other than Bob? Either way I'm sure he will take interest in solving the problem.

robby dmax

Reaction score
this is my gimbal on my 2006 all the way up on the rub rail.. so the one in question I think is ok, and doesn't need to go down. If anything it may be able to come up a little.

Attachments

• IMAG0502.jpg
    IMAG0502.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 44
  • IMAG0501_resized.jpg
    IMAG0501_resized.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 34

underpressure

Reaction score
Here's what the "X" looked like on mine...

Attachments

• DSC00147[1].jpg
    DSC00147[1].jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 39

tunnel vision

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for all of the reply's!
I don't have a picture, but he told me his is 1 1/2" down from the rub rail.
I think we will play with some other propellers because the one that was on it that LLGirl tried he did not get, he is using a cut down Bravo 14 3/4" x 26 1/2" that was on his other boat that was labbed by Bronson Hill.

racinjason65

Reaction score
I had the same issue with a prop I was testing. I learned my boat really does not like transom lift. now I run Cutting Edge propellers that have no diffuser, more pitch and a smaller diameter to get the boat to respond the way I want. I run a couple different 4 blades and am currently dialing in two 5 blades ( all Cutting Edge Propellers) for different fuel/boost/weight combo's that I run.

TEAGUE CUSTOM MARINE

Reaction score

I have noticed many of the single step 25 Daytona's have a porpoise from 65-80ish.. Get the "X" dimension up! It will be a little more sluggish getting on plane but will handle better and have "less" of a hop in the mid range and might pull more prop on the top end.. I don't personally think plates will really help all the much, and there is most likely something in there way to properly mount (exhaust, steps, etc?). Try props before just adding something because someone says this could work.. A good, non ruined prop can make the world of difference.

IMO, 25 daytona's work best with the transom on the rub rail with a 1" short lower. If the transom is down and 1"ish, run a -2" lower and "MERC Racing Labbed" Bravo props. We have turned many of these boats from mild to wild and this seems to be the best all around set up spot..

Now for the important part... If this boat has any power, it NEEDS DUAL RAM Steering, full hyd preferred (not just a sales pitch) and to have the transom assembly checked out. I am sure the steering cable is shot to replace that and add a few rams or just start from scratch and go full hyd dual ram (worth every penny in the long run and very comfortable to drive). As for the transom, sounds like the boat wad built with a 502mag and has a stock bravo transom assembly. That is fine when tight but, junk when loose. Merc and IMCO make upgrade kits that will freshen the transom and also make it much stronger. The transom assembly does more than you think and if broken can completely ruin everything..

Always welcome to give me or us a call if you have any questions, we are here for you guys! -Eric