WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Anyone need a Carb tuned? I hear the gear heads live here.

Reaction score
I have a guy for you. Damn good prices too. Tunes a carb for 23 billed hours.

Here’s the receipt for
Coast Motor Group
All charges I’m cool with. Except the tuning.
A few shops in havasu have messaged me and ask that I do not use names or show the messages. But told me I basically got “screwed” on the billing. 23hrs. Absolutely joke.
My Dyno sheet is in the comments.
As Robert and “friends” would call it. My cracker box motor and shit box HTM.
Pictures of my build are attached with the receipt. In the comments.
But who would want to take a boat to a shop and get called a liar, big mouth, cheap, pathetic, then have all his “friends” messaging me talking trash and commenting on the post that he “hangs” out with every weekend. All because you don’t agree with the 23hrs of testing.
Not me. Here’s to getting fucked
😂
🍻

Boat ran the same way it did when I dropped it off and picked it up. Under a load. Runs like shit. And sounds like shit.

Attachments

• 181282AA-714B-4567-8F77-734511A67212.jpeg
    181282AA-714B-4567-8F77-734511A67212.jpeg
    138.3 KB · Views: 437
  • 091C5C1B-6266-4CB5-8BB1-BD2BC5A5C6B8.png
    091C5C1B-6266-4CB5-8BB1-BD2BC5A5C6B8.png
    340.5 KB · Views: 333
  • 8E3FCF64-280F-4DE1-B4CE-191D360341CF.png
    8E3FCF64-280F-4DE1-B4CE-191D360341CF.png
    314.9 KB · Views: 286
  • 20E71573-2186-4332-B5B8-704EF66AECD3.png
    20E71573-2186-4332-B5B8-704EF66AECD3.png
    230.9 KB · Views: 279
  • DE781092-40AD-4AEB-817C-0F6137E7DB3E.png
    DE781092-40AD-4AEB-817C-0F6137E7DB3E.png
    289.6 KB · Views: 286
  • A57C318E-B9C5-4939-B960-8EF6E04DBC3F.jpeg
    A57C318E-B9C5-4939-B960-8EF6E04DBC3F.jpeg
    144.7 KB · Views: 283
  • 1E88BDE8-D24E-4FDA-BD6D-8CEB6A39A247.jpeg
    1E88BDE8-D24E-4FDA-BD6D-8CEB6A39A247.jpeg
    176.3 KB · Views: 276
Last edited:

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
23 hrs to tune a carb? I have never tuned one in my life and think I’d have about six into the program before being figured out and done?

rmarion

Stop The Steal
Reaction score
there are 40,333 comments in the RDP Facebook page...

was my Sundays entertainment...

(ok, I fudged a little on the comments..)

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
I have a guy for you. Damn good prices too. Tunes a carb for 23 billed hours.

Here’s the receipt for
Coast Motor Group
All charges I’m cool with. Except the tuning.
A few shops in havasu have messaged me and ask that I do not use names or show the messages. But told me I basically got “screwed” on the billing. 23hrs. Absolutely joke.
My Dyno sheet is in the comments.
As Robert and “friends” would call it. My cracker box motor and shit box HTM.
Pictures of my build are attached with the receipt. In the comments.
But who would want to take a boat to a shop and get called a liar, big mouth, cheap, then have all his “friends” messaging me talking trash and commenting on the post that he “hangs” out with every weekend. All because you don’t agree with the 23hrs of testing.
Not me. Here’s to getting fucked
😂
🍻

Boat ran the same way it did when I dropped it off and picked it up. Under a load. Runs like shit. And sounds like shit.

Have you tried a different boat??

DLow

Single Barrel Dweller
Reaction score
I’m confused as to where the dyno sheet comes from? You had it run on Westech’s dyno in Dec of last year, then took it to this shop for tuning in May of this year?

guest hs

Reaction score
Am I missing something here? If you ran the engine on the dyno the carb didn’t get jetted on the dyno? It takes about 5 minutes to figure out what powervalve to use with a vacuum gauge.

Reaction score
There must be more to the story than just the receipt. Let's hear it!

Ive updated the post with more details. the short and facts listed below:

see attached pic - updated7/13

i had a 540 built. it hit the Dyno. was placed in the boat and the boat struggled to get on plane. the cam had a weird cug to it. not responsive under 3k and would fall on it face all day long.

I took the boat to coast. told them what the deal was. told them that it appears to be fuel or a spark issue. it wont get on plane. They checked all major components. ran up 800 or so in charges (which im good with)

then after they replaced a few fuel fill lines, cleaned up some wiring, changed my distributor they went and lake tested the boat. nothing changed.

so they went to the Carb. 23 HOUR WORKED ON THE CARB with 8 lake test.

boat ran for 45 mins seemed better....then started it up after the 45 min run and back to ground zero. plugs fouled. transom solid black.

I contacted robert. he said its the cam, then said my carb. its changing. i said no. bullshit. he told me my cam was HUGE. and its causing all my problems (see cam specs attached picture)

I took the boat to Menace marine in Santa Clarita. He re-did my carb and put 02 sensor in the tails and boom. boat was tuned and running and souding great in 1 lake text. Same cam,motor,carb.

I just had it on the water with 6 people this last weekend. ran hard all weekend. super happy. Hard lesson to learn.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
If it was me I’d take the invoice from menace marine and pay that. I’d request the 23 hrs / 8 lake test $$ back as they didn’t fix anything.
Other labor for other items, cleaning up wiring etc should be paid.

It isn’t your problem to teach their mechanic how to tune a carb on your dime. If they are unable to do the job or are unsure of it than they shouldn’t accept the job and expect you to pay for their learning curve.

If menace fixed it that quick obviously it wasn’t anything other than some carb tuning.

sintax

Reaction score
If i ran a shop, i would be absolutely so embarrassed it took me 23 hrs to tune a single carb, NA mill, i'd NEVER have the balls to tell a customer that. This is like a dentist fucking up your cavity filling 10 times, and billing you for each of those fillings.

shits unreal.

Reaction score
I’m confused as to where the dyno sheet comes from? You had it run on Westech’s dyno in Dec of last year, then took it to this shop for tuning in May of this year?
correct, (total of 5 months) hit the dyno in December. Sat at a shop for 3- 4 months in line to get installed. Then covid in May fucked up it up and the shop that installed the motor shut down. so it went to Coast Motor group to get the carb dialed.

and that just didn't happen.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
If i ran a shop, i would be absolutely so embarrassed it took me 23 hrs to tune a single carb, NA mill, i'd NEVER have the balls to tell a customer that. This is like a dentist fucking up your cavity filling 10 times, and billing you for each of those fillings.

shits unreal.

But it wasn’t fixed at the end of the 23 hrs..??

I don’t know Robert that well but I can’t imagine he’s not going to refund the guy that labor? I’d think he’d want too?

sintax

Reaction score

I don’t know Robert that well but I can’t imagine he’s not going to refund the guy that labor? I’d think he’d want too?

you're prob 100% right on that. Beyond that, did they let you know that you were racking up those kind of hours?

Wheeler

I'm just here to bitch about others negativity.😁
Reaction score
Ive updated the post with more details. the short and facts listed below:

see attached pic - updated7/13

i had a 540 built. it hit the Dyno. was placed in the boat and the boat struggled to get on plane. the cam had a weird cug to it. not responsive under 3k and would fall on it face all day long.

I took the boat to coast. told them what the deal was. told them that it appears to be fuel or a spark issue. it wont get on plane. They checked all major components. ran up 800 or so in charges (which im good with)

then after they replaced a few fuel fill lines, cleaned up some wiring, changed my distributor they went and lake tested the boat. nothing changed.

so they went to the Carb. 23 HOUR WORKED ON THE CARB with 8 lake test.

boat ran for 45 mins seemed better....then started it up after the 45 min run and back to ground zero. plugs fouled. transom solid black.

I contacted robert. he said its the cam, then said my carb. its changing. i said no. bullshit. he told me my cam was HUGE. and its causing all my problems (see cam specs attached picture)

I took the boat to Menace marine in Santa Clarita. He re-did my carb and put 02 sensor in the tails and boom. boat was tuned and running and souding great in 1 lake text. Same cam,motor,carb.

I just had it on the water with 6 people this last weekend. ran hard all weekend. super happy. Hard lesson to learn.

Sorry that you got fucked out of your money but nice to hear that the boat is on the water and running.

Post some pix of the boat when you get a chance.

D19

Reaction score
Wow. $114 CC processing fee?! I would have ran down to the ATM or handed him a personal check.

I just had two carbs built and flow tested on a bench for about $500. No lake test needed.

Nordie

Reaction score
Is Fuel Curve West still in business?

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
correct, (total of 5 months) hit the dyno in December. Sat at a shop for 3- 4 months in line to get installed. Then covid in May fucked up it up and the shop that installed the motor shut down. so it went to Coast Motor group to get the carb dialed.

and that just didn't happen.

So how long did the boat sit from the time the engine was pulled, until the new engine was on the water again?

riverroyal

Reaction score
some of the replies on here are trying to flip the topic. It never fails someone will spin out on this thread eventually.

77charger

Reaction score
Can’t get a carb tuned in one hour its either messed up or you suck as a mechanic. And that hour includes jet changes and tuning. Even a carb not perfectly tuned would still run decent just not optimal. And I’ve dealt with plenty of them from lawn mower to dual idfs on my old vw. Holleys are simple

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Shortly thereafter.

Yeah no. Looks like quite a few months from the dates on the receipts he's posted. Westech knows their shit. If it left their shop with a solid dyno sheet, and then got stuffed in a boat with months old fuel...

The tanks should have been completely cleaned, along with the entire fuel system, and fresh fuel added.

If not, that could explain his issues? Did you notice they replaced all his fuel lines? Pump gas goes bad in about three weeks these days.

Still doesn't justify 23 hours of labor. How long does it take to figure out the gas is no good? Either way, this whole thing smells...

Fishey. :p

ElAzul

Well-Known RDP Inmate #211
Reaction score
I can GUARANTEE you I will have yore carb figured out in 22 hours :). Hell I could probably swap in full EFI and tune in less time. Lake testing will obviously be a different story tho. I recently got hosed by a shop it sucks

Good Stuff

Reaction score

Watched them try last night. He’s demanding they pay for all 23 hours back even though they discounted the hours by 6 on the invoice. He only paid for 17 but wants them to refund him 23 is what I got out of it. Even said he would take down all his negative posts if they refunded him 23. The extortion really killed my sympathy.

Last edited: