WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Anyone on here a Neurologist or have a good recommendation? AZ/NV/CA

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
I have a prior TBI, and spinal injury. The last few months certain issues have become much worse vs the last few years being stable. I am looking for recommendations in the Phoenix, Las Vegas, or SoCAL region.. I will travel for the right fit.

I am currently scheduled for an MRI later this week with one, but would like additional options/opinions

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
The wife started going to the Mayo Clinic. They have been as good as UCSF. I can see if she has the Neurologist‘s name if you like.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
I had good luck with Dr. Raymond Chu, but he works out of Cedars-Sinai in Hollywood. Very nice man, did his rounds early, and would come back around lunchtime...between surgeries and office appointments. At the time, I was dealing with issues from skull fractures, C3 and 4 turned to dust, and also an MRSI issue from the initial treatment at another hospital.

napanutt

Connoisseur
Reaction score
My wife had a fairly serious head issue recently (2-3 years ago). She doesn’t post here but we were very pleased with her neurologist. He was Kaiser North CA.

seanroberts

Reaction score
The house clinic in LA, I had 3 neurologists working on me. They have their own floor at the hospital. I went to 7 places before I did the brain surgery there.

2Driver

Reaction score
Fred Marciano.
Works out of Barrows and Honor Osburn rd.

He was called on to put back together Jessica Lynch after Iraq ( She was lone survivor after being captured along with others in their Hummer) He did my anterior/posterior spine fusion. That approach is really difficult and not a lot of dr will do it . Cant get much better.

I saw 4 different Docs before I was referred to this Dr. as the guy to see.

Last edited:

HNL2LHC

Reaction score
Talked to the wife and she is seeing Dr. Alyx B. Porter at Mayo off the 101 near North Scottsdale. This was the second place after UCSF. Only went to UCSF because the surgeon that worked on Gen was instrumental in developing the brain mapping procedure. We figured that you can’t get any better than that.

old rigger

Reaction score
Met with the first one, not sure what my thoughts are yet. Going to meet with one or two more before I make any plans. I appreciate the recommendations.

My Neurologist was Dr. Jean Lake, she works out of Long Beach Memorial. My Neurosurgeon, if needed, was Dr. Ivar Szper also LB Memorial.

Justsomeguy

Reaction score
My brother in law is one of the top neuro radiologists in the country.

He can certainly take a look at that MRI. I put his info above.
Edit to add, he likely has a recommendation on a neurologist as well. I also hope all goes well for you.

HNL2LHC

Reaction score
Met with the first one, not sure what my thoughts are yet. Going to meet with one or two more before I make any plans. I appreciate the recommendations.
Not sure of what is your concerns but the path can be daunting. I know when Gen first realized there was an issue we went to a neurologist in Hawaii where the whole deal was a little nutty. Certianlly not what Gen was in need of we went there about 6 times and then pulled the plug. I clearly remember Gen and my mother at the appointment and called me saying that’s it I will never see the Dr again. She was a good doctor but not in the specific area that Gen needed.

Keep searching until you have exhausted all options. We ended up finding the group of doctors that was just what Gen needed and one of the Dealers in the Bay Area had the same issue and he walked us through the process and we never looked back. Perhaps find a support group of your needs and talk to though who gone through the same EXACT thing. 👍

And as always if you need anyone to bounce things off of I am always available. I feel like the people who helped up paid it forward to us and we need to do the same for others facing simular challenges.

Take care!!!!!!!

HNL2LHC

Reaction score
My brother in law is one of the top neuro radiologists in the country.

He can certainly take a look at that MRI. I put his info above.
Edit to add, he likely has a recommendation on a neurologist as well. I also hope all goes well for you.

Thank reminds me UCLA, Standfor, UCSF and Mayo were the top medical facilities out there. The challenge is getting into their system. Keep knocking on doors. You got this!!!!!

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score
… as far as a neurosurgeon, Dr. Sun Lee, at Providence Saint Joseph Hospital in Burbank… Dr Michael Marvi is the name of the neurologist who referrd me to Dr Lee and is in the office next to him at Saint Joe’s… Both of these doctors are top notch…

Last edited:

Dog

Reaction score
My proctologist reco is ... Sorry had to try to throw some humor in.

D19

Reaction score
Darrel Walters in Covina, CA. (626) 331-6411. Outstanding doctor and individual.

530RL

Reaction score
Fred Marciano.
Works out of Barrows and Honor Osburn rd.

He was called on to put back together Jessica Lynch after Iraq ( She was lone survivor after being captured along with others in their Hummer) He did my anterior/posterior spine fusion. That approach is really difficult and not a lot of dr will do it . Cant get much better.

I saw 4 different Docs before I was referred to this Dr. as the guy to see.
If one is in Arizona, Barrow’s is the place to go.

boatpi

Reaction score
Can’t get better than someone that is cedars in West LA

Boat 405

Reaction score
My brother had a spinal cord injury 2 months ago. The two top spine doctors IMO in San Diego.

Dr Gregory Mundis and Dr Robert Eastlack. Both out of Scripps La Jolla.

I think if it wasn't for these two guys my brother would have been a permanent quadraplegic.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Until reading this thread, I'd never given much thought to the various types of specialties a neurosurgeon may have. Having really only dealt with upper spinal column stuff, that is what crosses my mind. There are probably those that specialize in cranial, spinal and a bunch of other things I don't know about. This is definitely a case where you need to find the proper candidate for the job at hand.

E4L

Reaction score
My wife had a fairly serious head issue recently (2-3 years ago). She doesn’t post here but we were very pleased with her neurologist. He was Kaiser North CA.
Which Dr. Im looking for one?

HNL2LHC

Reaction score
Until reading this thread, I'd never given much thought to the various types of specialties a neurosurgeon may have. Having really only dealt with upper spinal column stuff, that is what crosses my mind. There are probably those that specialize in cranial, spinal and a bunch of other things I don't know about. This is definitely a case where you need to find the proper candidate for the job at hand.
You are so right Kevin. It is crazy the amount of testing that they can do. We stayed at a home for about 3 months, like a Ronald McDonald house, and met many different people going to UCSF for treatments. Just amzing what they are able to do. I fell blessed that UCSF is where we went. I feel that the other locations did not reply becuase they were not the right fit and they knew it. @Ace in the Hole again keep knocking on door and the right one will open.

I remember the first time that we met the surgeon who did the operation. He looked at us straight in the eyes and said he was our guy. The wife kind of brushed it off and was not sold on the prognosis. He told us what was the cause of my wife’s physical challenges. She thought it was menopause the whole time. He told her take these meds and if it stops this is the issue. You decide if you want to have the procedure to remove the tumor. Three weeks later the meds were working the wife wanted to have the surgery at that point. To know 100% if this was a bigger issue. They could not do a biopsy without going all in.

@Ace in the Hole I know you are a guy that is going to research. I do have to say that for us it was question if meds were enough or if there was a ticking time bomb with the tumor being cancer. It certainly have thrown some curves in our path and some bumpy sections for sure. The way that I look it is that the patient needs to be the one to make the choice on the life they want to live. I fully support 100% the direction that the wife chooses with her health. Now that being said I am in every appointment on every call and reviewing most what is done but the bottomline is that she is the one that lives with the outcome of the decision made. You got this Joel!!!! 👍